• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disappointing Hollywood & Vine

I get the feeling the items get switched out often. The first time we went about 2 years ago, we really didn't like it. We tried it again and LOVED it. The last trip in April, it was okay, but was missing some of the great food from the previous trip. Perhaps it changes regularly and a lot of people have caught it on bad days?

We have eaten there 3 or 4 times, the most recent was in May. My DB had had to take my DM back to the hotel to rest and they got caught in the parade and could not get there on time for ADR. I spoke to the CM to let them know they were coming..No problem. As soon as they got there we waited about 5 minutes and went right in.

We had a really good server, who even though it was really busy took the time to joke with my DB. The food was not V & A, but it was good. The breads and butter are always pleasing. The salads were all cold and fresh. I was disappointed that they had done away with the Turkey pot roast, they have Roast beef now :sad2: , they did not have the sweet potatoes either. They did still have those yummy little desserts :love:

I think if you go into it with realistic expectations, you will enjoy your meal. It is loud, but almost every restaurant at WDW is!

We ate there in May 06, liked it. DD4 and I had a good waiter, chatted with the family beside us, and enjoyed the selections. Neither one of us are big on red meat, but can put away the peel and eat shrimp. The mini desserts I loved. Like to experiment, hate to waste it. We had the Fantsamic package, will have to do it again next time. DD asked to go again the second it was over.

We haven't eaten here in a while, but definetly enjoyed it when we did. Once they did away with the character dinner, our visits dwindled, then stopped completely. There must be a rule or something about bad food in MGM...I have not found a great CS meal here.... I am not a fan of Italian food (except for chicken parm, and I can order that at the AS food court), so MM is not a great option. We are taking the opportunity to get the FDP with the free DDP, so the only other choice is BD, and I don't want to burn extra TS credits, nor do I want to go to a non-young-child friendly place. So, we will stick with our choice of H&V, and hope that we hit it on a good night. Our standards are not that high, since we are used to Old Country Buffett, Taco Bell, etc., while at home. We go on our arrival day, so I am hoping it is not a bad start to our trip.

Thanks for the review. It was actually on my list of places to try, but I won't waste my time getting a ressie there until I hear some better reviews. Thanks again!! :sunny:

We ate there Nov. 2004 and it was great. The salads were awesome, the food had a great selection and the desserts were delicious. We aren't going back the next trip only because I want my DH to try the pot roast at 50's PT. Sorry to hear some didn't like it.

We ate at H&V for dinner during the first week of July, and it was just OK. Our server was great, and there was nothing wrong with the food, but there was nothing memorable about it either. I looked for the root beer sweet potatotes, and of course, they are no longer there. I don't think we will go back. There are too many great restaurants at WDW.

We typically go to the Brown Derby during our trips. We decided to change to H&V for our upcoming trip's "Fanstasmic Dinner"... mostly because we have some relatives along and we were unsure if we should commit them to a more expensive meal.

After reading the reviews here... I cancelled our H&V reservation and booked BD instead. Tried and true.

/Jim

Has someone done the lunch with the Characters Comments please. DGS loves JoJo so plan on doing it for that but need to know what characyter interaction is like????

You might want to do a search--I remember reading posts about this.
A friend of mine went and her DS 2 absolutely loved it.We're taking our DS in August.

english rose 47 said:
Has someone done the lunch with the Characters Comments please. DGS loves JoJo so plan on doing it for that but need to know what characyter interaction is like????

I have read mixed reviews. but most indicate H&W has gotten much better after it became a character breakfast.

My DD6(in Oct) and DD1 love the Little Einsteins. I hope this is good. we have reservations in November 2006.

Dinner at H&V was the most disappointing meal of our last trip. We had the Fantasmic package booked there on July 4. We did not wait too long to be seated. The atmosphere was fine. Our waiter was actually wonderful! However, I can't even remember what I ate, the food was so forgettable. Even my DDs, who normally love buffets b/c they can choose from a wide variety of foods, had trouble finding anything that they wanted to eat. It wasn't terrible, and the Fantasmic seating was helpful, but we will not eat at this restaurant again. Just not worth it IMHO.

Sorry to hear that. I usually like the H&V. My favorites are the corn and sweet potatoes.

Can anyone share how the waits have been recently at Hollywood and Vine for seating with an ADR? How about those of you who went to H&V during free dining last year? We have a reservation for the third week of August with the Fantasmic package but it seems that I have been reading a lot of posts stating that there have been long waits for seating. The whole reason for us getting the package was to avoid waiting for the show, I don't want to substitute that with waiting for seating. :rolleyes1 . Is the Fantasmic seating worth waiting for seating at H&V and the food at H&V? Thanks for any input!

disneysailor said:
Can anyone share how the waits have been recently at Hollywood and Vine for seating with an ADR? How about those of you who went to H&V during free dining last year? We have a reservation for the third week of August with the Fantasmic package but it seems that I have been reading a lot of posts stating that there have been long waits for seating. The whole reason for us getting the package was to avoid waiting for the show, I don't want to substitute that with waiting for seating. :rolleyes1 . Is the Fantasmic seating worth waiting for seating at H&V and the food at H&V? Thanks for any input!

Ditto. We have ADRs for H&V FDP for the 3rd week of August. Tried to get MM with no luck. The only other option for us was Brown Derby - a "no go". I DEFINITELY do not want a lengthy wait only to be disappointed by cleanliness and food quality/selection. Hmmm. What's a girl to do?

Mickey-4-Me said:
Ditto. We have ADRs for H&V FDP for the 3rd week of August. Tried to get MM with no luck. The only other option for us was Brown Derby - a "no go". I DEFINITELY do not want a lengthy wait only to be disappointed by cleanliness and food quality/selection. Hmmm. What's a girl to do?
We'll be there too 3rd week of August too, maybe we'll see you there! We are eating at H&V on August 19 at 6pm. I hope it is not as bad as everyone seems to think. My family isn't too picky though.

jbdreamer said:
We'll be there too 3rd week of August too, maybe we'll see you there! We are eating at H&V on August 19 at 6pm. I hope it is not as bad as everyone seems to think. My family isn't too picky though.

ThaT'S when we scheduled for H&V too! We are doing MGM that day and we will be at Sci-Fi DIne In for lunch, I can't remember the exact time.

Disney Crazy Debbie said:
ThaT'S when we scheduled for H&V too! We are doing MGM that day and we will be at Sci-Fi DIne In for lunch, I can't remember the exact time.
:wave:
We are there around the same time!
Sci-Fi at 12:30, H&V at 5:50, on August 24th.

Thinking of doing a late breakfast instead of lunch Anyone any comments on a 10:30 ish breakfast. Was food hot filled up etc and how was the character experience at that time????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter