• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disappointing Hollywood & Vine

We were just there in June. I thought H & V was one of the best meals we had. :thumbsup2 The service was great. Drinks were always kept full. There was a little bit of a wait, but it was no problem seeing that it kept us from waiting for Fantasmic!!

We did H&V as part of the Fantasmic dinner package last Sunday, 8/6. Once again, our family was pleased with our experience. Overall we'd give it a B, and if we were grading it on a scale as a buffet, we'd give it a B+/A-. We were seated promptly and our server did a great job. The restaurant was clean and well-bussed, and they kept the buffet items stocked and fresh. You're not going to get V&A's when you go to a buffet, but we found the food to be fresh, plentiful, tasty and a good variety.

Happy to hear some positive reports! :thumbsup2

I will be eating there in....12 nights!! :cool1:

My last trip to H&V was in 99 for breakfast and vowed never to return.

My DS and his family did the dinner package in 02 and said it was the worst meal at Disney. That just confirms my opinion to never return.

gigi1313 said:
wow, we must be the odd-family-out... we ate there in '04 and enjoyed it... again in '05 and enjoyed it... and most recently in jan '06 and it was decided among our group of 8 that it was the best meal of the trip QUOTE]

Same here, innovative menu items, fabulous preparation, always a favorite for us.
I am worried however about the character meal coming...afraid they will remove all the good, but not kid-friendly items. I can get chicken nuggets and corn dogs anywhere. :stir:

I've always been a big fan of H&V, we've eaten there three times (02, '03, '05).

We've always enjoyed it. I'll be disappointed if it has gone downhill. We'll be going again in January, so I'll let everyone know how it compares.

I watched the Fantasmic show when I went do Disneyland, California, back in 1998 (they didn't have the show back in Florida then), and it was the most beautiful Disney show I have ever seen.

We will be going to WDW in 4 weeks with my DW (her 1st time) and son (10 months old). I would prefer not to stand in line for a long time and get a great seat for this amazing show.

My question would be: are the seats good, can you see the show 100%?

I was checking this website (I can't post the URL here) and they have a FAQ about Fantasmic, see below:

So, is it worth it?

In my humble opinion, no. The seatings are at the far right section and unless you get the best seat in the section, your view can and probably will be obstructed a bit. If you get the worst seat near the dinner package seating, that seat is probably better than the worst seat in the dinner package section.

Any opinions for those who have watched the show both going to the H&V and standing in the regular line?

Thanks.....

Camilo

gigi1313 said:
yes, at then end of your meal they will give you a "ticket/voucher" for each member of your party to get admission to the FDP entrance (they will also give you directions to the entrance, but i think there's a map on the back?)... they truly make it easy :)

Camilo said:
I watched the Fantasmic show when I went do Disneyland, California, back in 1998 (they didn't have the show back in Florida then), and it was the most beautiful Disney show I have ever seen.

We will be going to WDW in 4 weeks with my DW (her 1st time) and son (10 months old). I would prefer not to stand in line for a long time and get a great seat for this amazing show.

My question would be: are the seats good, can you see the show 100%?

I was checking this website (I can't post the URL here) and they have a FAQ about Fantasmic, see below:

So, is it worth it?

In my humble opinion, no. The seatings are at the far right section and unless you get the best seat in the section, your view can and probably will be obstructed a bit. If you get the worst seat near the dinner package seating, that seat is probably better than the worst seat in the dinner package section.

Any opinions for those who have watched the show both going to the H&V and standing in the regular line?

Thanks.....

Camilo

Here's my opinion in a nutshell -- H & V IMO is not as bad as so many people seem to think on this board. We were there on 8/8 and did the Fantasmic package. We had a 4:50pm ADR and were seated within 5 minutes of arriving. There was a large selection of food all of which I had was good. I found that my DD's 10 & 7 ate very well. Lots to choose from on both the kids buffet and the adult buffet. Also the dessert buffet was great. Overall we had a good experience (and I was terrified before we went after reading all the negative here).

Know regarding the seats on the Fantasmic Package. We arrived about 50 minutes before the show. Of course we had our pick of seats on the right hand side (this is the area roped off for the package deal). We were about 5 rows back by choice. The amphitheater is set up in 3 sections (left, middle and right). Each section has it own water screen and there is one large staging area everyone can see unless you are blocked by a pole (there are poles that divide the sections). In my estimation all the seats are good unless you unfortunately get behind the pole. It's an amazing show and one of the most enjoyable things we did while we were there. I don't know if you actually need to do the package. There were plenty of seats still available close to the beginning of the show and they fill in the seats still available in the reserved section right before the start of the show.

Hope this helps

I have to wonder if the people who have negative reviews just don't like buffets. We love them in fact I prefer them to ala carte. I love trying a little of this and a little of that, going back for more of sometning really yummy or something I missed I've never not found things I like on a buffet while when I order of the menu I'm stuck good or bad. That's how I feel so I'm sure I'll be fine at H & V , I plan on a late breakfast.

We LOVE H&V!! went 12/05 and 04/06 and had no wait, great service, full drinks, great food and a fun time both times we were there. and as for the seating...unless you're an "i gotta be in the center" snob; i don't think any of the seats are bad. in fact, my favorite place to watch F! is standing up in the 'very' back of the arena.

the thing that really amazes me are the amount of sheeple(yes...sheep/people) that change their ADR's because of what some other person they don't even know says about a restaurant. you're serious?? just because john jacob jingleheimer schmidt says he doesnt live H&V; you're gonna rush off and change your ADR? Why don't you stick with your guns and make the deciding vote for yourself(after you've eaten there). reminds me of a t-shirt i used to have that read: 'Impress Me, Think for Yourself'. sorry bout the little rant.

I'm glad to see some happy reports about H&V cause that is what I was able to book for the Tuesday of Thanksgiving week. Our ADR is at 4:20 PM which is pretty good considering I just made the ADR on Monday night. I would have preferred Mama Melrose's but after reading these reports I feel a little better. I think that DS11 will be happy with this buffet.

We used H&V for Fantasmic Package 12/05. My friend picked it and after reading so many negative reports, I just said a silent prayer that it would be acceptable. They were paying the bill, and we had no firsthand knowledge. Well, all 4 of us loved the experience.

I seem to remember seafood, maybe mussels on the buffet. I could be remembering another meal, but can someone please comment. DH and I are going again in December and we would like to do it again.

Bobbi :)

Yes, there are mussels on the buffet. My DH tried them and said they were very good.

On a side note, the best waitress we had the whole week was at H & V. She was great! I wish I could remember her name.

Silly Girl said:
Yes, there are mussels on the buffet. My DH tried them and said they were very good.

On a side note, the best waitress we had the whole week was at H & V. She was great! I wish I could remember her name.

Thank you for answering. Disboard is so good for finding out these little tidbits!

Bobbi :sunny:

We've eaten here every trip since '03, never disappointed w/service or food...

now the rude, mannerless patrons thundering up to the trough are another matter...no, I'm not kidding. Each time we dine here I see guests commiting atrocious behavior (not just kids). Who doesn't understand that you don't stick your fingers into a buffet dish to sneak a taste or, even worse, take a bite & put it back?????I notify the CM's everytime I see this behavior, mostly from loosely supervised kids...ewwwww.

that said, I've always termed it a "poor man's" chef mickeys...many of the same dishes/desserts. It is what it is...pretty good food on the cheap (for WDW). My 3 sons always make a dent in it & come away happy.

Think it's worth a TS credit for the Fantasmic pkg. We've even paid OOP for it.:banana:Believe it or not, we'd be eating there again in Oct. but, needed a later ressie that wasn't available, so we'll be doing mama melrose fan pkg for 1st time.

We had lunch at H&V yesterday as our last sit-down meal of our trip. We picked this for our smallest dd, who loves JoJo. I don't know what I expected, but it was obviously too much. When we walked in, it was SO LOUD you could not hear yourself think. The tables and chairs are very cheap and light weight - like you could throw a chair across the room with a half-toss. I know that is a funny thing to complain about but it just contributed to my overall dismay. And I hate that H&V shares a relatively small restroom with 50s Primetime - yuck! - There's nothing less appetizing than having to use a restroom with a mile-long line and awful aroma...and the buffet was just sub-par. Now we had eaten at the Crystal Palace the day before and LOVED it. Awesome buffet, beautifully prepared, great service, etc..with characters... I guess I was hoping for the same. Or something somewhat close Instead, it came off like a cheap (CHEAP) diner experience. The one saving grace was that we did have a VERY nice waitress named Stephanie. SHe did a great job. Once, however, was enough. No more H&V for us. Sorry to give such a negative review, but it is fresh in my mind. :blush: The rest of our trip was great!

Well, I had the opposite opinion of lunch. We loved it. DS (2) had a great time dancing with the characters--he danced around the restaurant with the playhouse pals (cast members running the show)...as far as the buffet-I thought it was delicious...everything was fresh and hot.
We really enjoyed this lunch and will be returning for breakfast in october.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter