Disney after loss

I recently lost my Mom and she had been a big part of my Disney trips. Her health was at a point where her doctors were utterly in shock that she handled Disney and did it without a scooter. There is a trip planned for November that is to include wider family and my Mom. And I am not sure how I will handle being there knowing she should have been and being there at Christmas.

Add in the new party at DHS, our favourite park with our favourite Christmas stuff.

Anyone have any experience going back after, not just at Disney but any important place? I know Kathy talked on the podcast about her loss and Disney and I am hopeful that my experience will be a time of remembering her and the good times we spent with the mouse.
Sorry to hear about your loss. I have not experienced that but imagine it’s really tough. I say go back and do the things you loved to do with your mom as a tribute to her. Seems a healthy way to show your love through your continued living.

Sorry for all your losses. I lost my dad who my wife and I had the pleasure to take my mom and dad on a surprise vacation to Disney years back. My wife and I have many fond memories. We had rooms next to each other at the Polynesian and every morning I would call their room to see if they were ready to start our day, before I could even hand the phone up they were at our door all ready to go. Every time we even think of the Polynesian we remember how they were like kids and were dress and ready to run out the door as soon as I called. Such great memories. Enjoy them all. Miss you Dad! 😢

Hugs to you as you naviagate your loss. Hopefully, remembering the joy you had there with your mom will bring some happy memories amid the sadness. I am glad you will be with family when you go, and hope they will be understanding and also be able to share memories of your mom with you--those will be invaluable gifts.
Our last trip to Disney was a few months before my mom died of cancer. She was in a scooter & the cast members were wonderful with helping her enjoy the parks with us as much as she was able. She lived across the country from us and so the Disney trip was the last time we saw her before she was largely confined to bed.
We are just now ready to plan our next trip to Disney, and I'm somehwat apprehensive about it. I know there will be times when the memories overwhelm and I am going to lose it (I'm crying just writing this and thinking about it.) I think if you know that will likely happen, it may be a bit easier to deal with it when it does. However, I hope the trip will also help me remember fun things we enjoyed there together- every visit I have made to Disney has been with her.
One thing I have decided is that I want to stay at a different on-site resort than we did on that last visit with her, in hopes that it will help me manage my emotions and make some new memories also.
Thank you for posting and reaching out about this topic.

I'd like to start off by saying I'm so sorry for everyone's loss and that I thank you all dearly for your comments and perspectives.
My mom passed on the 13th, she'd had lung cancer that was gone, came back in her throat and lymph nodes, and then came back with a vengeance in her lungs again. We, honestly, weren't expecting it. The hospital had just said the night before that she could go home (she'd been in for fluid build up in her lungs) and that morning she went un responsive and died at noon.
I took my mom for her 1st visit to Disney World in Nov. 2020, we ate dinner in Cinderella's castle, got stuck on Haunted Mansion, she swore she saw her soul leave her on Space Mountain! I'd planned to take my grandmother, my mom's mom, for her 1st Disney Word vacation in August. I'd booked Cinderella's breakfast (Maudie, my grandmother, loves breakfast food) and had planned to ride HM (not SM though, she's got a bad back). I thought about cancelling. I thought long and hard about it, almost pushed the button. My step dad smacked some sense into me though, "Your mama wouldn't want you to quit. She'd want you to keep living." So we're going. I honestly think planning this trip is the only thing keeping me together at this point. So if August 20th would hurry up and get here, I could really use some Disney therapy!

so sorry for your loss. My father passed while we were actually at Disney World a few years ago. It was right after the parks reopened and I had spoken with him and he never let on how poor his health was at the time. Travel was difficult still and since we live in Florida we had driven to Disney for some happiness. He didn’t want us trying to fly so he never let on how bad he was. Honestly being in Disney made it easier. He wasn’t well off financially but he left us a small amount of money with which we actually purchased our first small DVC contract. Now every time we use those points we think of him and it makes us happy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter