Disney Genie announcement

When does this new ticketing system start? I know nothing about it but have plans for Dec 23-30.

Disney has failed. Not often, but there are missteps. Think Rivers of Light, no Ohana noodles, Alien Encounter, Ursula's purple float....the good list is better than the bad list. I just hope this Greedy, Greedy+, and IA$$$$$$$$$ is on the bad list.

For me it's about Disney being different and magical from the rest of the competition. Now, it's becoming like the competition, which begs the question why I would want to spend money here.

I liked Rivers of Light. But that purple float🤢. And Stitch's Great Escape

The worse would be if Disney suddenly changed which rides are LLIA$

I would check the ride list and hours a day before

Not sure if this was answered anywhere, but did any of the media previews mention how far in advance we can start building itineraries in the free Genie app? 60 days? or does it have to be closer to date of travel?

Last edited:
OhDannyBoy, I think you are correct. I can't see Genie+ selections and LL$ selling out at 7:03am. I think that many are stressing too much about this. We really don't know until it goes live. Now maybe on peak days like Christmas your selections may be more challenging. In the FP era, we were always able to grab some sort of FP during the day. Maybe not the exact ride we wanted but something else that was good.

My $0.2 is that ride capacity dedicated to Genie+ is going to be higher than FP of old because guests are paying for it. Disney can also moderate the amount of Genie+ availability on the fly using the data. If there are not enough Genie+ selections in the queue then they could open more up (backing the standby lines up). It should be a dynamic system.

I thought that under the FP system about 80% (or more) of the ride capacity was dedicated to FP. It would be hard to increase that much without completely bringing the standby line to a halt.

In the early days I wouldn’t expect the Genie+ slots to go that quickly simply because not that many guests will be paying for it. But, as time goes on and the holiday crowds start arriving, the most desirable FPs might go pretty quickly, just like they did with paper FP and FP+.

I am hoping that, if the Genie app doesn’t do it, Touring Plans will include next available Genie+ times along with standby wait times so that those of us at home planning trips can see how this is going.

Not sure if this was answered anywhere, but did any of the media previews mention how far in advance we can start building itineraries in the free Genie app? 60 days? or does it have to be closer to date of travel?
I thought during the webinar AND in Molly's video it stated once you had active tickets that Genie would be active. I don't remember if they said 60 days out - but something did state that there would be push notifications to prompt for dining reservations etc...so I'm still thinking once tickets are active.

I'm seeing that for offsite guests, we can make Genie+ reservations when the park opens (onsite can start at 7:00 am). I can see that meaning three things:
1. The park is open when they allow onsite guests in (onsite ropedrop),
2. The park is open when they allow offsite guests in (offsite ropedrop), or
3. The park is open at the advertised opening time (which kinda implies the thousand or so guests already in the park where in a closed park).

I'm seeing that for offsite guests, we can make Genie+ reservations when the park opens (onsite can start at 7:00 am). I can see that meaning three things:
3. The park is open at the advertised opening time (which kinda implies the thousand or so guests already in the park where in a closed park).
I would anticipate it to mean the official posted park opening time but it's one of the many questions we'll hopefully have answered in a few days.

I would anticipate it to mean the official posted park opening time but it's one of the many questions we'll hopefully have answered in a few days.
Official park opening of which park though? The one you have a reservation for? The one that opens earliest? Or???

Also, will it only show you G+ availability for your reserved park? Or for every park, since hopping is an option? Just some of the questions in my head.

Just a clarification on your first sentence, the first Genie+ reservation can be made by anybody (on or off-site) at 7AM. It is only ILL$ reservations that on-site guests have the advantage of making at least their first one at 7AM (off-site must wait until park opening). Not sure which of your examples however is the correct one regarding park opening.

Official park opening of which park though? The one you have a reservation for? The one that opens earliest? Or???

Also, will it only show you G+ availability for your reserved park? Or for every park, since hopping is an option? Just some of the questions in my head.
I'm guessing that Genie will pull from your park reservations or you will select your park each morning. If you're park hopping, then you're also selecting that park for after 2pm. Webinar did state that you would see availability across park hopping.

Based on this, again, assumption, but official park opening for the park you have a reservation for.

As @Violetspider correctly pointed out, it's only ILL$ that off-site guests need to wait for. G+ reservations can be made by all at 7AM.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/genie/?CMP=ILC-DPFY22Q1Wo1007211013210002C
In looking further into the purchase of ILL$ for off-site guests, I read this as being at park opening time of the park they are trying to purchase a ILL$ for. This is from the Disney website:

Option #2: By Making an Individual Lightning Lane Entrance Purchase
Lightning Lane entry as an "á la carte" purchase will be offered at a few of our most popular attractions. This option can be purchased by all Guests—with or without the purchase of Disney Genie+ service—and lets you choose a time to arrive at the Lightning Lane entry at up to 2 attractions each day (purchased one at a time). Current example attractions include Seven Dwarfs Mine Train at Magic Kingdom park and Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure at EPCOT. Guests of a Disney Resort hotel and other select hotels* can make their first purchase starting at 7:00 AM on the day of their visit. All other Guests can make their first purchase at the regular time the park opens. Pricing and availability will vary by date, attraction and park. Be sure to check the My Disney Experience app on the day of your visit for current prices and attraction availability.

To me, 'THE park opens' would refer to the park the ILL$ is located in but again, this is only my interpretation and may not be right.

Sure hope this gets less confusing with time!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter