Disney Gift Card Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG!!! I just had a HUGE amount ($100) go from pending to available!! Plus I just told DH to pay for his car repair ($800) on our BB card so that I could earn some more GC money! Ugh!!

Well, I guess this will help us get rid of another credit card. We have NO use for the Best Buy Visa card now. Nice move, Best Buy...just as we were planning to get a new laptop for our daughter, too.

EDIT: Ok, I think I may have an "out"...help me think this through...
We were planning to get my daughter a laptop from BB anyways so this can save me. The laptop should cost about $600. Instead of putting the $600 on our BB Visa, I will pay for it with one of our cash back cards instead. On the same transaction, I will buy a Disney gift card and load it with whatever amount I have available in BB rewards (I think I am currently sitting on about $105, but I'll probably have about $120 by the time we shop). Then, I will use my rewards and my credit card to pay, and of course, I will remember my SwagBucks QR code too. This will (hopefully) work the same way that my Target "conversion" works.

It's such a bummer because I was making almost $10/month in rewards, just from our gas, grocery and dining purchases. That, coupled with their great bonus coupons (11% back on a single purchase) netted me a LOT of rewards every year. This stinks...As Disney gets more expensive, every way we find to make it affordable seems to go away...:sad1:

I replied to myself because I wanted to let everyone know what I did on Thursday. I put (3) $25 Disney gift cards in my online cart and tried to check out doing in-store pick up. There was NO WAY I was going to deal with having them ship cards to me, knowing they'd probably be unactivated. To my surprise, the option to apply rewards was available when I went to checkout so I opened a new window and went to my rewards account and quickly "redeemed" $75 worth of points. I went back to my checkout page and it allowed me to apply the $75 to my cart, bringing my balance to $0. The order went through without a problem. I was stunned! Within 30 minutes, I got the e-mail that said my order was ready for pickup. Well, since we were in the middle of an ice storm, I wasn't going to venture out so I decided to wait a day. The next day (yesterday), I decided to repeat the process with $25 of my last $30 in rewards and I ordered another $25 gift card...success! I went to the store last night and picked up $100 worth of Disney gift cards.

On a hunch, before I walked away from the desk, I told the associate that I wanted to double-check the cards to make sure they were activated before I left, just in case. She quickly realized, she hadn't activated them! That led to some confusion which was quickly and easily fixed, but when she was all done, and the cards were loaded into my account, I mentioned that I'd read that I will "soon" no longer be able to buy them with my rewards. She confirmed that you can no longer do that in the store. I told her that I was able to use them ONLINE to purchase those cards that I'd just picked up and she smiled and told me that I "got lucky" because it should not have gone through.

Although I am super-bummed that my biggest rewards earning route has now disappeared, it is actually a blessing in disguise. DH and I are nearing the end of a long struggle of digging ourselves out of a LOT of debt that was brought on through many things (natural disasters, poor choices and bad timing) and I wanted to keep the BB Visa card because it gave me such a good return for vacation funds. But now that's gone so I have a valid reason to get rid of that card. Through all of our struggle with the debt, I have managed to take one vacation per year and paid for it using rewards money that was "earned" through our daily expenses or other routes that did not involve "extra" spending. I earned over $700 last year in Best Buy rewards which translated in to $700 in Disney money. Fortunately, I have a single, simple credit card with a LOW limit that pays 2% cash back and gives a 10% bonus on the redemption when I redeem the cash into my money-market savings account. That won't be the same as the Best Buy earnings, but it will be a suitable substitute, and since it is cash, it will be more flexible.

Is the card for DisneyLand or WDW? We have this card at Smith's for Disneyland .

I don’t know. I was replying with WDW ticket prices, and have not seen these tickets at Target. I think Disneyland tickets are not date based, so I assume WDW.

DL tickets are less expensive ($300 for 3-day base tickets, not inclusive of tax or shipping). Even Redcard wouldn’t make PP’s price as low as buying direct from Disney.

I just found an old BBB gift card for $50. Can I use it in store or online to buy a Disney gift cards?

Not sure if it’s posted already, but my BB no longer allows BB rewards (those $5 certificates) for GC purchases. They couldn’t even select it in the terminal. Still a decent deal from the Swagbucks perspective, but just a little bit less of a deal.

*edit* I see it’s already posted. Oops!

Last edited:
Not sure if it’s posted already, but my BB no longer allows BB rewards (those $5 certificates) for GC purchases. They couldn’t even select it in the terminal. Still a decent deal from the Swagbucks perspective, but just a little bit less of a deal.
D'oh. Check the post above from @kristenrice about using them online for in store pickup. Maybe that's an option you can try?

I just found an old BBB gift card for $50. Can I use it in store or online to buy a Disney gift cards?
Try. It’s extremely ymmv. Most people can’t, the system will allow it but the checker stops the transaction as soon as they realize you’re using a gift card. I would keep the gift card out of sight and then try to swipe quick when it’s time to pay. If they stop you, you didn’t lose anything but maybe they won’t and it will work for you.

Also remember only some BBB carry 3rd party gift cards.

*edit* I see it’s already posted. Oops!
Darn. Really hoped it was just a change in language and that they wouldn’t actually push it out to the store terminals :(

I replied to myself because I wanted to let everyone know what I did on Thursday. I put (3) $25 Disney gift cards in my online cart and tried to check out doing in-store pick up. There was NO WAY I was going to deal with having them ship cards to me, knowing they'd probably be unactivated. To my surprise, the option to apply rewards was available when I went to checkout so I opened a new window and went to my rewards account and quickly "redeemed" $75 worth of points. I went back to my checkout page and it allowed me to apply the $75 to my cart, bringing my balance to $0. The order went through without a problem. I was stunned! Within 30 minutes, I got the e-mail that said my order was ready for pickup. Well, since we were in the middle of an ice storm, I wasn't going to venture out so I decided to wait a day. The next day (yesterday), I decided to repeat the process with $25 of my last $30 in rewards and I ordered another $25 gift card...success! I went to the store last night and picked up $100 worth of Disney gift cards.

On a hunch, before I walked away from the desk, I told the associate that I wanted to double-check the cards to make sure they were activated before I left, just in case. She quickly realized, she hadn't activated them! That led to some confusion which was quickly and easily fixed, but when she was all done, and the cards were loaded into my account, I mentioned that I'd read that I will "soon" no longer be able to buy them with my rewards. She confirmed that you can no longer do that in the store. I told her that I was able to use them ONLINE to purchase those cards that I'd just picked up and she smiled and told me that I "got lucky" because it should not have gone through.

Although I am super-bummed that my biggest rewards earning route has now disappeared, it is actually a blessing in disguise. DH and I are nearing the end of a long struggle of digging ourselves out of a LOT of debt that was brought on through many things (natural disasters, poor choices and bad timing) and I wanted to keep the BB Visa card because it gave me such a good return for vacation funds. But now that's gone so I have a valid reason to get rid of that card. Through all of our struggle with the debt, I have managed to take one vacation per year and paid for it using rewards money that was "earned" through our daily expenses or other routes that did not involve "extra" spending. I earned over $700 last year in Best Buy rewards which translated in to $700 in Disney money. Fortunately, I have a single, simple credit card with a LOW limit that pays 2% cash back and gives a 10% bonus on the redemption when I redeem the cash into my money-market savings account. That won't be the same as the Best Buy earnings, but it will be a suitable substitute, and since it is cash, it will be more flexible.
Thank you very much for the report but why on earth did you point out the online loophole to the BB associate?

Thank you very much for the report but why on earth did you point out the online loophole to the BB associate?
Honestly? I wanted to make sure that my credit card had not been charged. In order to complete the purchase, you have to give a credit card number. My e-mail confirmation showed that "your credit card has been charged" but the amount showed a total of "$0.00" so I was fairly confident that I would be OK. When I mentioned it to her, and she said it shouldn't have gone through, I asked her to double check to make sure that my card wasn't charged. I really didn't want to draw attention to the loophole, believe me, but I also did not want to find out that my credit card got charged the $100 either. That's when she said that I must have gotten lucky because it shouldn't have worked. She was as surprised as I was to see that it went through.

Honestly? I wanted to make sure that my credit card had not been charged. In order to complete the purchase, you have to give a credit card number. My e-mail confirmation showed that "your credit card has been charged" but the amount showed a total of "$0.00" so I was fairly confident that I would be OK. When I mentioned it to her, and she said it shouldn't have gone through, I asked her to double check to make sure that my card wasn't charged. I really didn't want to draw attention to the loophole, believe me, but I also did not want to find out that my credit card got charged the $100 either. That's when she said that I must have gotten lucky because it shouldn't have worked. She was as surprised as I was to see that it went through.
I would have asked as well in that case. When I ordered a $15 Starbucks card it didn’t ask for my credit card but maybe that’s because they already have my credit card info in my Best Buy online account or the amount of the order was too small for them to worry about it?

Playing with the Best Buy site now, it's not letting me apply BB rewards to a Disney GC :sad:

I've got $30 with $5 more coming... It's really too bad, but at the moment I'm most upset that we made a legitimate $100 purchase there last weekend and I would have just used these certs on it and put $30 in my travel fund :badpc:

I checked my BB rewards this afternoon and I only have $5 thankfully. I just used quite a bit on Jan. 1 so glad I did it then. My son can use the $5. He’s always buying a movie of some sort when we go.

Playing with the Best Buy site now, it's not letting me apply BB rewards to a Disney GC :sad:

I've got $30 with $5 more coming... It's really too bad, but at the moment I'm most upset that we made a legitimate $100 purchase there last weekend and I would have just used these certs on it and put $30 in my travel fund :badpc:

I checked my BB rewards this afternoon and I only have $5 thankfully. I just used quite a bit on Jan. 1 so glad I did it then. My son can use the $5. He’s always buying a movie of some sort when we go.
I’ve got $5 left but at least another $10-$15 pending from this month’s purchases on the BB Visa. We are planning on getting a new computer so if I can accumulate at least $25 worth, I will load them on to a variable-load a Disney card and add it to the purchase. If we don’t end up getting the computer at Best Buy, we can always use more iPhone charging cables around our house so that’s what I will buy with the rewards. They won’t go to waste.

If you want to use your rewards towards vacation items, some things to consider are portable chargers, small power strips (or multiple USB outlets) because hotel rooms never seem to have enough outlets, extra batteries, memory cards for your camera, or some noise-cancelling headphones.

I’ve got $5 left but at least another $10-$15 pending from this month’s purchases on the BB Visa. We are planning on getting a new computer so if I can accumulate at least $25 worth, I will load them on to a variable-load a Disney card and add it to the purchase. If we don’t end up getting the computer at Best Buy, we can always use more iPhone charging cables around our house so that’s what I will buy with the rewards. They won’t go to waste.

If you want to use your rewards towards vacation items, some things to consider are portable chargers, small power strips (or multiple USB outlets) because hotel rooms never seem to have enough outlets, extra batteries, memory cards for your camera, or some noise-cancelling headphones.
I will look at power strips, are ones at home are very old and probably need replaced to better protect new electronics. I wouldnt have thought of that

I will look at power strips, are ones at home are very old and probably need replaced to better protect new electronics. I wouldnt have thought of that

Agree. I never thought about a surge protector for our refrigerator until our neighbors house got struck by lightning. They lost that and their garage door stopped working. :scared:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter