Disney Magic in 2024, still worth it?

UsefulBurn

Earning My Ears
Knowing full well the Disney Magic is the oldest ship of the fleet, we booked a trip for this summer (that includes the new Lookout Cay).

Our last cruise (and very first) was the Wish and we loved it.

Are we going to feel disappointed with the oldest Disney ship? The price was steep as it’s a Summer cruise plus stop at Lighthouse Point.

Still deciding whether it’s worth it.

EDIT: Thank you for all the lovely responses! To clarify, we loved the Wish because it was our very first Disney cruise and we’ve never experienced anything like it! We have a kindergartener and to say it was the first relaxing trip I ever had as a new parent would be an understatement.

The feeling of not being rushed and not worrying about the next meal, where to go, etc far exceeded my expectations.

This is also why I was considering another cruise instead of, say, going to Disney World as I have been told it’s alot of prep work and less relaxation.

Last edited:
Knowing full well the Disney Magic is the oldest ship of the fleet, we booked a trip for this summer (that includes the new Lookout Cay).

Our last cruise (and very first) was the Wish and we loved it.

Are we going to feel disappointed with the oldest Disney ship? The price was steep as it’s a Summer cruise plus stop at Lighthouse Point.

Still deciding whether it’s worth it.
I'd be on the Magic for any cruise. DCL keeps their fleet "up to snuff".

I’ve only been on the sister ship, the Wonder, in 2018. I REALLY enjoyed that cruise. We are also booked on a 2024 Magic cruise in September that stops at Lighthouse Point. I’ve listened to SOOOOOOOO MANY podcasts and MANY hosts & guests love the Magic class ships. They are easy to navigate, have all been well maintained & updated, plus the lower capacity is always appreciated at the private island-less people to share resources with. I’m excited for our Magic cruise & I think you will enjoy yours too!

If the Wish is your vibe the Magic is very different- smaller pool deck, more classical nautical feel, better adult pool for swimming but without the views the Wish has, and the pool food on the Wish is better.

Is Summer the only time you can go? Is there another vacation you have in mind? I would try to Dream or the Fantasy first before the Magic. I am sure the new island will be lovely but it isn't going anywhere and a 7 night eastern on the Fantasy also hits some beautiful places...

If you love the style of the Wish you might very well not like the Magic, you might but it is very different

All ships in the Disney fleet have their personality and something to like. The Magic is older, and yes, is a tad more subject to the occasional maintenance issues - as the way it was built at the time was novel and unique... but it has constantly been refreshed through numerous dry docks. More classic in style, much easier to move around and a different dining experience are things to potentially look for. I am booked on the Magic for one of the August "double-dip" cruise and was on the Magic last for NYE - the crew was amazing and had a wonderful time.

I’d sail Magic over Wish every time.
I am with you. We would pick the Magic over the Wish everytime. The Fantasy is probably my fave though.
We loved the Magic for the decor and how well the ship is laid out. I think the adult area is superior to the Wish and it might even edge out the Fantasy. On our last Magic cruise the food and staff were phenomenal. I have never had cool cloths handed out to me on my deck chair like the staff on the Magic did for our last trip.

We just returned from the Magic. First sailed her in 2013, have sailed The Fantasy and Wonder since, and can say I didn't recognize that the ship is 11 years older than the last time we were on her. The crew does an amazing job keeping 'their home' in top condition.

Constant painting and not a bit of rust to be found. Common areas fresh and clean. The Stateroom hosts were even cleaning the hallway ceilings and walls one day! They have made some updates (TVs now have on-demand), but we love the more intimate feel of the smaller boats. Even the longest lines move quickly when there are fewer than half of the passengers of the Wish.

Just depends on what is important to you. If you want more 'fine dining' options that you pay for, the Wish is for you, definitely. A different experience on the various ships, but all have the Disney feel and high level of service.

I would ask you to tell us a story about your cruise - what memories you have, what you enjoyed…

If you find yourself using the words, big, modern, “tech” anything, the Magic might not be worth it.

If you use the words magical, wonderful, playful, relaxing, fun, happy, Disney-esque, welcoming, friendly, then you might like any Disney ship.

Last edited:
We just sailed on the Magic in September last year, hands down no questions asked the Magic is my husband and I's favorite ship. Disney takes such good care of their ships that it didn't "feel" old. I've been on carnival cruises that the ship was half the age of the Magic and it felt old and dated.

Disney rethemes and improves the ships periodically.

Disney does an excellent job of keeping their ships "ship shape". They are constantly maintained and regularly upgraded. And of course the CM's on board are a big plus.

I just sailed the Magic in January. If you told me that ship was 25 years old, and I didn't know, I wouldn't believe you at all. It's our favorite ship. I love them all. Well, except the Wish. I didn't love the Wish. It was fine and I'd sail her with the right itinerary, but she's definitely in last place for me.

We went on the Magic in September after numerous trips on the Dream, Fantasy and the Wish and one thing that we really loved about the Magic was how less crowded Castaway Cay was compared to the bigger boats. It was much more relaxing with fewer people.

We've only been on the classic ships, the Magic once and Wonder three times. While the Magic does not look 25+ years old, it smelled funky in lots of areas (was on it last Nov) and I found the cleanliness subpar compared to the Wonder. I love that even at full capacity it never feels terribly crowded on these smaller ships.

Our first cruise was on the Magic in 2001, we haven't been on her since then. We've been on the Wonder twice and the Fantasy 4 times. We've enjoyed both for different reasons. We're going on the Magic in July. I'm excited to eat in Rapunzel's restaurant and seeing the different shows. My dd is looking forward to the Aquaduck. The larger ships hold nearly 4000 passengers. The Magic and Wonder only hold 2700. I can't wait to go to CC and Lookout Point with only that many people.

We're doing Magic B2B this summer and we are super excited. We had a great time on her in May 2023. Yes, she has a few rough spots, but I love the smaller/cozier feeling with the staff.

We're doing Magic B2B this summer and we are super excited. We had a great time on her in May 2023. Yes, she has a few rough spots, but I love the smaller/cozier feeling with the staff.
Would you mind expanding on what you viewed as the rough spots? We have our first sailing on the Magic at the end of April, and I just want to prepare myself to avoid disappointment. We have really enjoyed our previous 4 DCL trips on various ships.

Would you mind expanding on what you viewed as the rough spots? We have our first sailing on the Magic at the end of April, and I just want to prepare myself to avoid disappointment. We have really enjoyed our previous 4 DCL trips on various ships.
So we were the first sailing after dry dock, and they had some pretty bad a/c issues (I'm sure these were all fixed though). There were areas where the floors still needed to be repaired and they were still re-doing the carpets. The stateroom bathrooms seemed a little less spotless than the Dream/Fantasy.

Really a bit nit-picky on my part I'd say. Actually probably post the first few after dry dock sailings, things were probably better!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter