Disney Magical Express Question

douglas4315

Earning My Ears
We are taking our first DVC trip in February and staying at SSR. I just booked our Magical Express pick up at the airport when we arrive.

Am I missing something or does this seem like an unbelievable service? The airline we fly is part of DME and has been forever.

My questions are:

Should we let them retrieve our bags as they say they do? Do some of the bags get left behind? Is there a greater chance for stolen or lost bags?

Can we retrieve them on our own? If so what is the benefit of doing this?

Lastly, when we arrive at the airport how long does it usually take until you leave the airport after you land and get to the DME desk?

We have used DME 10 times now and really enjoy the service. We have never had to wait more than about 20 minutes after checking in at the DME desk before leaving MCO.

I would not have any concern over letting Disney deliver our luggage to our room. The only drawback is that it could take a few hours to arrive (but they will still deliver it right to your room).

If you retrieve it yourself, then you will be responsible for carrying it to DME and to your room (Bell staff will assist at the resort), but it may add 30 minutes to your trip to retrieve the luggage.

I'd suggest using all of the services provided by DME - just make sure you have all essentials in your carry-on luggage and let Disney take care of your checked bags.

Enjoy!

Used it last week and it was incredible. We stepped off the plane XMAS day and were at the VWL in 40 minutes total-thats taking the tram to terminal B and down to level 1, checked into the ME express line, walked out to the bus and got on and drove directly to VWL. Coming home yesterday we checked our bags and got our boarding passes at WL with no lines at 8:30AM, then swam until ME bus came at noon. Both bags showed up at Minneaplois no problem.

We always use it. It is the BEST!!:thumbsup2 We are using it Monday when we go. Saves you alot of time and energy.

We :love: DME! For us, it's the beginning of the pixiedust:
Now, if only SWA would become a "participating airline" for the trip home........:rolleyes1

Has anyone ever had their bags lost? Does DME work on your behlaf in that case or are you left to fend for yourself?

We've never experienced any lost luggage, but my understanding is that DME will be your advocate to track down missing bags.

Has anyone ever had their bags lost? Does DME work on your behlaf in that case or are you left to fend for yourself?

We had one bag delayed ( it was still with-in the 4 hr time frame but we were concerned that our other 2 arrived and it had not ). Bell services got in contact with ME they had it traced it to be in at the resort just not delived yet.We went off to eat and it was there when we returned.

This trip same thing 2 bags showed up almost right away third was about 2 hours behind.

Now on both times we arrived at 10:00am and our rooms were ready so I think that makes a hugh difference if we would have had to wait until 4:00pm to get into our rooms all the bags would have been there.

We now take ME and get a rental at one of the DTD locations or CCC

Can we retrieve them on our own? If so what is the benefit of doing this?

In the past, I've always retrieved my own bags and taken them on the DME with me. Just don't put the yellow tags they send you on your luggage. I've done it because I like to unpack as soon as I get to my room, before I head to a park, and so I know my luggage made it all the way to my room. However, that was when DME was in the same side as my baggage claim, so I just went to baggage claim then another escalator down. Now it's moved to the opposite side from my baggage claim, after baggage claim, I'll have to go back upstairs (elevator? I don't like elevators), across the terminal, then back down the other side. And security restrictions make just carry-on impossible. So now that it's harder, I don't know. Make sure you check which side your baggage claim is vs. the side for DME. I can tell you from experience that if it's the same side, no big problem at all to retrieve your bags.

We used ME in December for the first time, and did not have any problems. Our luggage took longer than the three hour time frame, but we headed out to the park, and when we returned it was in our room, like magic.... It was nice not fighting with DH about me overpacking, as he did not have to lug the luggage anywhere, except back to bell services where they checked it in (and us) for the airport. It almost seems like a no brainer... check the luggage at the airport, it magically appears in your room, when you're done, check it in a bell services (there's a line for the actual air port check in at bell services), and pick it up at your home airport....no standing in lines at the airport to check luggage....ahhhh the simple life.

It took us less than one hour from the airport to SSR... We stopped at FW, POR, POFQ, then SSR...the bus was only half way full, they didn't wait forever to have it fill all the way up.

We love thew service and will continue to use it.

I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but to me, the best part of DME is the fact I don't have to mess with retrieving my luggage at MCO. I just don't understand why anyone would want to get their own bags, haul them to the DME counter, haul them to the bus, then have to make sure the bell service gets your bags off the bus at your resort. Plus, you then feel obligated to tip bell service for handling your bags on arrival. Tips are included on arrival with DME. I will always use DME exactly like it was intended to be used. JMO

Another question. I have 6 different families staying in 3 different units - a total of 18 people. How do they keep the bags straight when delivering to the room?

Another question. I have 6 different families staying in 3 different units - a total of 18 people. How do they keep the bags straight when delivering to the room?

The Tags will be linked to that person and that room on each different Ressie #.

So just make sure they use the tags that they are on the ressie for and you should be fine.

If you have oversize luggage (like golf clubs) be sure to tell the check in person at the DME desk in Orlando as they check your DME passes and ask how many pieces of luggage. They didn't get the golf clubs and we were told it was because they were oversize, and DME folks didn't look there.

SSR got them after we called, but DH had some very nervous hours when he thought he wouldn't get to his planned start times!

All our DME experiences (5 last year) were TERRIFIC...the little glitch with golf clubs was the only thing...

Enjoy the luxury of not handling bags!

If you have oversize luggage (like golf clubs) be sure to tell the check in person at the DME desk in Orlando as they check your DME passes and ask how many pieces of luggage. They didn't get the golf clubs and we were told it was because they were oversize, and DME folks didn't look there.

SSR got them after we called, but DH had some very nervous hours when he thought he wouldn't get to his planned start times!

All our DME experiences (5 last year) were TERRIFIC...the little glitch with golf clubs was the only thing...

Enjoy the luxury of not handling bags!

Woah! Forgive me for being off-topic for a second, but your DH actually allows someone he doesn't know to handle his golf clubs? My DH keeps them with him at all times (I think he'd consider sending me with DME, but not his golf clubs). A DH who sends his golf clubs with DME-that really woke me up this morning:surfweb: ! Now, back to DME.

We :love: DME! For us, it's the beginning of the pixiedust:
Now, if only SWA would become a "participating airline" for the trip home........:rolleyes1

Yes i love ME......

We land at 9:30....i'm at WL at 10:20.....
In the room by 10:30:cool1:

I usually get my own luggage....i'm a control freak:confused3
Like to see it.....not wonder when it will arrive....

But for the return.....Please SWA....i would gladly
give it for the trip home.....

not as bad if it's late or lost:confused3
Kerri

I was told by Disney that all airlines are participating in Magical Express.

Usually when people use the term "participating airline," they are referring to resort airline checkin for the return trip. Those airlines allow you to check your bags at your resort and get your boarding passes. When you get to the airport, you just procedd to the gate. Southwest is not a particapting airline for resort checkin right now although I saw a rumor that they might be soon.

But you use ME for transport with any airline. ME handles the bags on the inbound flight. On the return flight, you take your bags with you on the bus and check them in at the airport.

And you also do not need to be using ME to utilize the resort checkin if you are flying with a participating airline.

Both services are sweet indeed.

We used DME on our last trip. Everything worked out perfectly. :thumbsup2 The room wasn't ready until 4:00 but the luggage was there when we arrived. We wondered if they intentionally held back the room until the luggage arrived since we've never had to wait for the room before. :rolleyes1We spent the day at the pool though so it really didn't matter. We especially liked checking the luggage at the hotel and not having to worry about dragging it to the airport.

Definitely give it a try! Enjoy your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter