Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2023 Edition

We normally go to these re-releases because tickets are normally $5

But to pay $12+ per ticket (at the theater near me) to see a movie that we already own on multiple formats??? Crazy town.
I can understand that. We have 2 seniors, 1 child, and 1 adult so it’s a little less than that. For me, it’s all about the experience of seeing her favorite film in a theater and going to a movie theater for the first time. We already know she loves it, so no chance of her getting scared or wanting to leave!

if you have a little one in your life who loves Frozen, Disney is re-releasing it from now until August 17th. Just bought my tickets for next weekend. It will be my granddaughter’s first experience in a big theater! (Actually, the size of the theater is tiny, more like a screening room, but it’s bigger than our living room and TV!)
We went yesterday, it wasn’t cheap but we had so much fun! I’m a bit of a sucker for a movie theater experience! I also forgot how funny this movie is, we watch it all the time but when I’m home I’m always doing other stuff never fully watching.

Pixar's Box Office Comeback Reveals Disney's Biggest Elemental Marketing Problem

The spectacular surge in Elemental's box office sales suggest that the Pixar film was initially failed by Disney's poor marketing decision.

SUMMARY
  • Elemental's box office success has increased significantly since its lackluster debut, showing that Disney's marketing decisions initially hindered its performance.
  • Disney's marketing for Elemental failed to highlight the compelling narrative beneath the visually appealing animation, making it less enticing compared to other summer movies.
  • Despite the initial setbacks, the film's comeback is due to positive word-of-mouth from audiences who appreciated the imaginative storyline, showcasing the power of audience support over poor marketing.

Pixar's Box Office Comeback Reveals Disney's Biggest Elemental Marketing Problem

The spectacular surge in Elemental's box office sales suggest that the Pixar film was initially failed by Disney's poor marketing decision.

SUMMARY
  • Elemental's box office success has increased significantly since its lackluster debut, showing that Disney's marketing decisions initially hindered its performance.
  • Disney's marketing for Elemental failed to highlight the compelling narrative beneath the visually appealing animation, making it less enticing compared to other summer movies.
  • Despite the initial setbacks, the film's comeback is due to positive word-of-mouth from audiences who appreciated the imaginative storyline, showcasing the power of audience support over poor marketing.
Disney decided to join in by tooting its own horn:

How Pixar’s ‘Elemental’ Kept Its Fire Burning at the Box Office

When Pixar’s Elemental debuted in June it was more spark than fire.

The animated film—which is set in a world of elements and is centered around the love story of the fiery Ember and the wishy-washy Wade—made roughly $30 million at the domestic box office for its opening weekend. However, it didn’t attract the usual masses for a film from Pixar, a studio known for its litany of blockbuster hits.

But Elemental didn’t evaporate at the box office. Audiences kept showing up.

The film directed by Peter Sohn crossed the $400 million mark at the global box office last week. Of that total, it’s made $148 million domestically. That’s about five times its domestic opening weekend haul, which is a rare accomplishment in a theatrical world that sees most moviegoers buy a ticket the opening weekend.

In fact, it’s so rare that no Pixar movie has had a multiple that high since the one that started it all: 1995’s Toy Story.

Keeping the flame burning

1920_ELEMENTAL-ONLINE-USE-m551_28_cs.sel16.311-614x332.jpg

A myriad of forces gave a boost to the long-term success of Elemental.

It’s been a hit with moviegoers with a 93% audience score on review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes and it carries an “A” CinemaScore, which undoubtedly led to strong word of mouth. It’s also been a solid choice for moviegoers of all ages during a summer in which family films have been hard to find.

“After a disappointing opening weekend, we’re really pleased that audiences have discovered what a great movie it is,” said Tony Chambers, Disney’s EVP of Theatrical Distribution.

The box office run for Elemental is also notable since it’s an original story. Many of the highest-grossing animated films in recent years have been sequels or based on established franchises. Elemental is the first original animated film from any studio to reach the $400 million mark since 2017.

International audiences have especially embraced the film.

An international boost

1920_ELEMENTAL-ONLINE-USE-m355_257a_cs.pub16.4359-614x332.jpg

“We knew we had a clear run throughout the domestic summer play period,” Chambers said. “And its global gross to date has been propelled by top performing international markets including South Korea, Mexico, France, and the UK.”

The film has made a $276 million internationally. That includes a whopping $48 million in South Korea. The film is the most viewed foreign film in Korea this year and the most-viewed Pixar film ever released there. It has reached 6 million admissions, meaning that one out of every eight people in Korea have seen it.

The film opened in Japan, its final international market, over the weekend and brought in $2.4 million, setting it up nicely for a run through the upcoming Obon holidays (Aug 11 to Aug 20).

While big opening weekends may get the headlines, Elemental shows that a true box office success story is about how a film finishes rather than where it begins.

“Recently it’s been more challenging for original animated and live action IP to break through,” Chambers noted. “But you can’t create a franchise without taking a swing, and no other studio has taken more swings than Disney.”

Disney decided to join in by tooting its own horn:

How Pixar’s ‘Elemental’ Kept Its Fire Burning at the Box Office

When Pixar’s Elemental debuted in June it was more spark than fire.

The animated film—which is set in a world of elements and is centered around the love story of the fiery Ember and the wishy-washy Wade—made roughly $30 million at the domestic box office for its opening weekend. However, it didn’t attract the usual masses for a film from Pixar, a studio known for its litany of blockbuster hits.

But Elemental didn’t evaporate at the box office. Audiences kept showing up.

The film directed by Peter Sohn crossed the $400 million mark at the global box office last week. Of that total, it’s made $148 million domestically. That’s about five times its domestic opening weekend haul, which is a rare accomplishment in a theatrical world that sees most moviegoers buy a ticket the opening weekend.

In fact, it’s so rare that no Pixar movie has had a multiple that high since the one that started it all: 1995’s Toy Story.

Keeping the flame burning

1920_ELEMENTAL-ONLINE-USE-m551_28_cs.sel16.311-614x332.jpg

A myriad of forces gave a boost to the long-term success of Elemental.

It’s been a hit with moviegoers with a 93% audience score on review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes and it carries an “A” CinemaScore, which undoubtedly led to strong word of mouth. It’s also been a solid choice for moviegoers of all ages during a summer in which family films have been hard to find.

“After a disappointing opening weekend, we’re really pleased that audiences have discovered what a great movie it is,” said Tony Chambers, Disney’s EVP of Theatrical Distribution.

The box office run for Elemental is also notable since it’s an original story. Many of the highest-grossing animated films in recent years have been sequels or based on established franchises. Elemental is the first original animated film from any studio to reach the $400 million mark since 2017.

International audiences have especially embraced the film.

An international boost

1920_ELEMENTAL-ONLINE-USE-m355_257a_cs.pub16.4359-614x332.jpg

“We knew we had a clear run throughout the domestic summer play period,” Chambers said. “And its global gross to date has been propelled by top performing international markets including South Korea, Mexico, France, and the UK.”

The film has made a $276 million internationally. That includes a whopping $48 million in South Korea. The film is the most viewed foreign film in Korea this year and the most-viewed Pixar film ever released there. It has reached 6 million admissions, meaning that one out of every eight people in Korea have seen it.

The film opened in Japan, its final international market, over the weekend and brought in $2.4 million, setting it up nicely for a run through the upcoming Obon holidays (Aug 11 to Aug 20).

While big opening weekends may get the headlines, Elemental shows that a true box office success story is about how a film finishes rather than where it begins.

“Recently it’s been more challenging for original animated and live action IP to break through,” Chambers noted. “But you can’t create a franchise without taking a swing, and no other studio has taken more swings than Disney.”
I mean, it really is a great film. I hope more people continue supporting it at the box office instead of waiting for D+ to keep showing the company that original stories are still important for movie goers.

runDisney Unveils Mickey and Friends Medals for 2024 Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Today we’re excited to reveal a first look at what will be awaiting runners at the finish line:

q3u7t2ou4gfewphudjs.jpg

Walt Disney World 5K

Put one paw in front of the other as Pluto joins runners in a dog-gone exciting time for the Walt Disney World 5K. Runners will have an un-fur-gettable time on a fetching 3.1-mile course that’s perfect for the entire family, earning this paw-some finisher medal.

2023 Walt Disney World 10K medal

Walt Disney World 10K

Get ready to have double the fun as Chip ‘n’ Dale join runners for the Walt Disney World 10K. Runners will go nuts on a 6.2-mile adventure and say chip, chip, hooray for this medal waiting for them at the finish line.

2023 Walt Disney World Half Marathon medal

Walt Disney World Half Marathon

Why you oughtta … gear up for the Walt Disney World Half Marathon with our fine feathered friends, Donald and Daisy Duck. Runners will flock to the 13.1-mile course and fly to the finish line to earn this finisher medal that will have them quacking a smile.

2023 Walt Disney World Marathon medal

Walt Disney World Marathon

Rounding out the magical miles-filled weekend, give a chEAR for our hosts Mickey and Minnie, joining runners for the Walt Disney World Marathon. Go the distance through a 26.2-mile course to earn this exciting finisher medal.

827oty2gukgyt65i71142uihre5a.jpg
827oty2gukgyt65i71142uihre5b.jpg

Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend Challenges

More miles, more medals! Runners who are planning to go the extra mile for Goofy’s Race and a Half Challenge and the Dopey Challenge can look forward to snagging even more bling!

Friends running a Virtual Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend race

For those wanting to add a little character to their at-home miles, join us virtually and run on a course of your choosing! Whether you take to your favorite local trail, jog around your neighborhood or even run during an upcoming vacation for 3.1 to 48.6 miles, you’ll be part of the magic. Learn more about Virtual Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend events here.

I mean, it really is a great film. I hope more people continue supporting it at the box office instead of waiting for D+ to keep showing the company that original stories are still important for movie goers.
I’ve personally gone to see it twice I liked it so much. Wade Ripple is an instant favorite character for me.

Totally agree--- Disney messed up on the marketing/promotion on this one--- no one knew what the storyline was- its a great movie, with an excellent message !! Glad after WOM, it ended up doing pretty well at the box office !!

They really should give it a new push - like a last day at the movies before school starts. It does seem to have been well-received in the long run, which is great.

I still blame the VERY boring looking trailer that Elemental had. After that trailer dropped, the main concensus I saw from social media was that the movie looked like an extremely safe, predictable love story that was not worth paying to see in theaters.

Yeah, it's not that it looked "bad" per-se, just really, really generic. It's actually not though, so I don't know what was up with that.

Disney's Hollywood Studios to close early in October 2023

Disney's Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World will close early at 5:00pm on October 17, 2023.
In addition to the early close at Disney's Hollywood Studios on October 17, Magic Kingdom will also be closing at 6:00pm due to Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party.

Park hours at Disney's Hollywood Studios on October 17, 2023, are 9:00am to 5:00pm. EPCOT will be open from 9:00am to 9:00pm, Disney's Animal Kingdom from 9:00am to 7:00pm, and Magic Kingdom from 9:000am to 6:00pm. Park hopping begins at 2:00pm.

*Early closure due to a private event for a company.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter