Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2023 Edition

Iger mentioned that Disney will be cracking down on account sharing as well. This will also be another big focus of the streaming services going into 2024
It helped Netflix and so everyone will follow suit.

I think Disney+ is still good value but can see where some people don't. I like watching movies and Disney usually has the most movies I am interested in with Pixar, WDAS, Marvel, etc. that the usual big movie a month or so would keep me around for awhile.

I know a lot of people care about new shows but if they stopped making Marvel shows, I would still be signed up as they still add movies I missed watching in theaters or movies i want to watch again after seeing it in theaters 3 months ago.

We just had GOTG3 last week, TLM in coming in September, Elemental a few weeks after that, Haunted Mansion and Indiana Jones in October or November. While I don't have interest in Indiana Jones, the others provide good value for me with the service.

It helped Netflix and so everyone will follow suit.

I think Disney+ is still good value but can see where some people don't. I like watching movies and Disney usually has the most movies I am interested in with Pixar, WDAS, Marvel, etc. that the usual big movie a month or so would keep me around for awhile.

I know a lot of people care about new shows but if they stopped making Marvel shows, I would still be signed up as they still add movies I missed watching in theaters or movies i want to watch again after seeing it in theaters 3 months ago.

We just had GOTG3 last week, TLM in coming in September, Elemental a few weeks after that, Haunted Mansion and Indiana Jones in October or November. While I don't have interest in Indiana Jones, the others provide good value for me with the service.
I think it is a good value, especially if you have kids. Streaming is much easier than rewinding the VCR endlessly lol (now that ages me and when my 'kids" were little). We waited for GOTG3 to come to Disney+ (loved it)...will also watch the LM and IJ when it comes out because why not, already paid for the month. I did go to see the HM in the theater and wished I had waited for streaming, nothing against the movie, it was fun, just hate the theater, much prefer to be at home in my environment... snacking and chatting as we watch.... pausing when we want to.

I think it is a good value, especially if you have kids. Streaming is much easier than rewinding the VCR endlessly lol (now that ages me and when my 'kids" were little). We waited for GOTG3 to come to Disney+ (loved it)...will also watch the LM and IJ when it comes out because why not, already paid for the month. I did go to see the HM in the theater and wished I had waited for streaming, nothing against the movie, it was fun, just hate the theater, much prefer to be at home in my environment... snacking and chatting as we watch.... pausing when we want to.
Yep, one trip to the movies with my kids runs around $70-80 occasionally after tickets and concessions. Because of that I’ve skipped Disney films with them and taken them to movies of studios we don’t have streaming for (Mario, Miles Morales, etc.)

Disney really doesn't expect many to pay that $13.99, but they'll take your money if you're still nuts enough.
I hate ads with a white hot passion. I'm willing to pay for an extra 2.5 cappuccinos a month to not have to deal with them. In the infrequent times I watch something "live" the commercials are insufferable.

The more interesting question is: Which services do I watch often enough to want? I would rather have fewer ad-free services than the other way around.

Yep, one trip to the movies with my kids runs around $70-80 occasionally after tickets and concessions. Because of that I’ve skipped Disney films with them and taken them to movies of studios we don’t have streaming for (Mario, Miles Morales, etc.)
That's where you bring your own snacks into the theater. I did that for every movie I saw this year because $18 for a popcorn is ridiculous.

I hate ads with a white hot passion. I'm willing to pay for an extra 2.5 cappuccinos a month to not have to deal with them. In the infrequent times I watch something "live" the commercials are insufferable.

The more interesting question is: Which services do I watch often enough to want? I would rather have fewer ad-free services than the other way around.

I do wonder if going into 2024 we'll see one or more of the larger streaming services drop the ad-free tier all together. Sort of like how linear TV 'on demand' does not allow commercial skipping we may be headed down the path of no choice sooner or later on streaming. If we don't want ads, we may be forced into a digital purchase of just that specific movie or series as physical media dwindles

I do wonder if going into 2024 we'll see one or more of the larger streaming services drop the ad-free tier all together. Sort of like how linear TV 'on demand' does not allow commercial skipping we may be headed down the path of no choice sooner or later on streaming. If we don't want ads, we may be forced into a digital purchase of just that specific movie or series as physical media dwindles
I don't think we'll see that unless they start seeing a meaningful decrease in subscribers. Netflix and Disney seem to be the most aggressive with the price difference of ads vs no ads at Netflix being $8.50 and for Disney, after this price increase, $6 difference for D+, $10 difference for Hulu and the duo being $10 difference as well with ads vs no ads.

If Disney and Netflix are successful with it's pricing strategies, I would expect the rest to start having much wider gaps in their ad vs no ads tiers first before possibly scrapping no ads.

Those IPs are what keep us. We will keep the ad free Disney+. We more than get our money's worth each month. I much prefer streaming to the theater.... and even with the price increase to 13.99/month....that is the same as a single movie ticket. Looking forward to Ahsoka...Loki.

We will likely cut Hulu. Keep Netflix.
Hulu usually has great deals on Black Friday. I'm currently paying $1.99/month for the version with ads.
They don't let current subscribers get the deal, though (need to have canceled at least a month prior), so my sister and I have been rotating who buys the Hulu account every year.

Hulu usually has great deals on Black Friday. I'm currently paying $1.99/month for the version with ads.
They don't let current subscribers get the deal, though (need to have canceled at least a month prior), so my sister and I have been rotating who buys the Hulu account every year.
I dont think we even watch anything on it. Not sure why we have it LOL... wasn't it part of Disney+ at some point? This is my husband's headache... I just say "hey I want to watch XXXXXX" and then he finds it in whatever various service we have

This year we've watched several movies in theaters (5) to support the movies. But it's unusual for us to see so many, I think it was our form of revenge movie-theater-going after not having been in one for years due tot he pandemic. We'll see one more, Wish, in December.

We've also tried to buy one concession item each time as I know that's how movie theaters make their money, they wouldn't survive otherwise. I buy Fandango gift cards when they're discounted to pay for these outings, but even then it does get expensive! I think from now on we'll see fewer. So it'll likely be that year's new Disney Animation and Pixar movies, and then one other, probably whatever the cultural phenomenon at the time is (like Barbie). Stream the rest in some form later, or get it on RedBox.

In the infrequent times I watch something "live" the commercials are insufferable.
Speaking of which, this is also true when I'm attending a live event. The commercial breaks in a college football game make attending one borderline miserable. The good news is that the NCAA has done something about overall game length. The bad news is that they've done that by rule changes that will result in less football being played, not limiting the commercial time.

In fairness, ABC/ESPN is marginally better than FOX for this. Unfortunately, ABC/ESPN will no longer be broadcasting the games I attend. Maybe NBC or CBS will be better?

Celebrate the Spirit of Togetherness During the 2024 runDisney Springtime Surprise Weekend

Calling all runDisney explorers! We invite you to grab your best adventuring crew and get ready to celebrate the spirit of togetherness for the final event weekend of the 2023-2024 race season, the runDisney Springtime Surprise Weekend. Taking place April 18-21, 2024, the spring weekend sees the return of event favorites such as the 10-Miler distance and early morning yoga as well as a brand-new post-race event, the runDisney Springtime Surprise Splash! From daring pirate escapades and uplifting expeditions through the wilderness to wild savannah treks, the exciting race weekend will take runners on magical journeys through the Walt Disney World Resort.
Take a look at the 2024 event themes:

Blog1.jpg

Neverland 5K

Runners, take flight for the first event of the race weekend with the Neverland 5K! Join favorite characters from Disney Animation’s Peter Pan for a magical 3.1-mile run that will take you toward the “second star to the right and straight on 'til morning” to find the finish line!

Blog2.jpg

Adventure Is Out There 10K

The finish line must be explored! Runners, join the Adventure Is Out There 10K for an exhilarating 6.2-mile race inspired by Disney and Pixar’s Up. Encounter some beloved characters like Russell, Dug, Carl, and even Kevin amidst a course inspired by South American landscapes and a sky of balloons.

Blog3.jpg

Hakuna Matata 10-Miler

It’s the ‘mane’ event you’ve been waiting for – the Hakuna Matata 10-Miler, an epic running journey inspired by Disney Animation’s The Lion King. From savannas and jungles to Pride Rock and Hakuna Matata Falls, join Simba, Timon, and Pumbaa on this roaring run, where the rhythm of African drums and the spirit of the Circle of Life will guide you to the finish line.

Blog4.jpg

Stitch’s ‘Ohana Challenge

Up for an out-of-this-world challenge? Say aloha to Stitch’s Ohana Challenge, inspired by Disney Animation’s Lilo & Stitch, where completing all the runDisney Springtime Surprise Weekend races—5K, 10K, and 10-Miler—earns you not just bragging rights, but a special medal honoring the magic of togetherness, where no one and no adventure is left behind.

Blog5.jpg

runDisney Springtime Surprise Splash

First you race… then you RELAX! Dive into an evening of celebration and thrills during the brand-new runDisney post-race event, the runDisney Springtime Surprise Splash at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon Water Park. After a weekend full of magical miles, enjoy favorite water attractions (at night!) with shorter wait times, delicious sips and eats and more – a splashing way to end your race weekend! Learn more about the new event here.

Virtual.jpg

You can also plan to join the runDisney Springtime Surprise Weekend fun – virtually! Whether you’re looking for motivation to train for a future runDisney race or get a taste of the magic wherever you run, virtual race events are a great way to reward yourself for staying active! Head over to runDisney.com to learn more about the 2024 Virtual runDisney Springtime Surprise Weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter