Disney Resorts to start charging parking fees....

Status
Not open for further replies.
We stay off-site, saving thousands. Breakfast and Dinner made at “home” and snacks brought with us to the parks. We only eat once at the parks. Groceries for the week only cost us $50 (at Aldi).

We thought about staying on-site this November but that’s definitely out now and I highly doubt we will ever stay there.

We’ve also made the decision to visit only Universal Studios and Legoland during our visit in Orlando. That was before this info was release, but now I’m not dissappointed as much in not giving them my money that week.

Is that only for day parking to hotels or overnight too ?

For overnight too.

I haven't seen a concrete answer for this question: If you stay offsite and only want to visit a resort for a few hours to look around and eat in the quick service food court, will there be a parking fee to do that?

Nope. Enjoy the free parking!

Since I am DVC member, it will not affect us as we drive some to WDW, but fly a lot. BUT, i think the main problem is people parking at the monorail/boat
resorts and not paying the parking fee at the parks. I think this precipitated a lot of this... People abusing the system.
I know at BWV, parking is hard to come by when we are staying there.. Always has been. So, it essence, the people that will pay for parking
can thank the "abusers of the system". At least I think that is partly the reason why they did this. I do agree with other posters that I think
Disney is becoming a "nickel and dimeing" to death..

DeerH

This is not penalizing the abusers who park at those locations when they are going to the parks. Nothing seems to be changing on that end as day visitors still get free parking. It's about more $$$$'s for Disney because "everyone else does it" so they can too.

Honestly, this reminds me of my dad. My dad is a lifelong New York Mets fan (as am I). However, Mets parking fees have gone up to an absurd level. After the last price increase, my dad swore that he was done attending Mets games- and he was. Public transportation is too hard for him at his age and he isn't going to pay the fee. He hasn't attended another one since, even when I begged him. What does this mean?

There WILL be a breaking point for Disney. People hate being nickeled and dimed, especially on things that seem like they should be included in the already high costs being paid, like parking. Every time Disney makes a decision like this, they lose people. Sure, in the short term, they have more money. But it is an incredibly short-sighted move. Nostalgia sells Disney vacations. If my dad had decided to stop supporting the Mets 15 years ago, then I wouldn't be a Mets fan today. Those people disheartened by Disney now who are going to choose other vacation destinations may raise kids who don't see the appeal of WDW.

When will they charge for Magical Express? Is it already built into the resort cost anyways and if I don't use ME I am already paying for that indirectly?

I have DVC, but still stay cash sometimes. If the goal is to raise the prices to push some out this will likely help. Artificially raising room rates this way will help their goal to push staying on property more elite. I doubt they will but there should be additional perks added for insentive with this added parking, such as a free pressed penny or ice at the food court.

you will get charged. Is not only for booking, they are starting to charge on the 21th, at least you still have time to cancel your reservation and take your money somewhere else. Unlike those who are probably stuck with reservations out of their free cancellation time frame.
That isn’t accurate. You are only charged if you book after the 21st according to the website.

As much as I love Disney parks, I've posted multiple times on their various social media about how ridiculous this is. Even though we can easily afford this extra cost, my wife and I are definitely leaning towards staying offsite just out of principle. We love the parks too much to stay away completely, but if they want to nickel and dime us, maybe we'll cut back on our free-spending habits on our trips. As soon as I saw the words "maximizing shareholder value" in that restructuring statement, I was sure this and more will be heading towards us. I seriously hate that it's all aimed towards making the shareholders more money at our cost. WDW could be incredibly amazing (even more than it is) if they didn't have to worry about making the shareholders a few more bucks.

As much as I love Disney parks, I've posted multiple times on their various social media about how ridiculous this is. Even though we can easily afford this extra cost, my wife and I are definitely leaning towards staying offsite just out of principle. We love the parks too much to stay away completely, but if they want to nickel and dime us, maybe we'll cut back on our free-spending habits on our trips. As soon as I saw the words "maximizing shareholder value" in that restructuring statement, I was sure this and more will be heading towards us. I seriously hate that it's all aimed towards making the shareholders more money at our cost. WDW could be incredibly amazing (even more than it is) if they didn't have to worry about making the shareholders a few more bucks.

The sad thing is, if they just made WDW amazing, the general public, not just addicts remembering the past, would be falling all over themselves wanting to go, and shareholder value would take care of itself, instead of nickel and diming, small additions, and cost cutting, which they feel is the safe way to go instead. They should have learned something from the Potter additions over at Universal and saw how that put Universal on the world map almost immediately and snowballed into much more over there. Build something amazing and they will come, the money will take care of itself.

Since I am DVC member, it will not affect us as we drive some to WDW, but fly a lot. BUT, i think the main problem is people parking at the monorail/boat
resorts and not paying the parking fee at the parks. I think this precipitated a lot of this... People abusing the system.
I know at BWV, parking is hard to come by when we are staying there.. Always has been. So, it essence, the people that will pay for parking
can thank the "abusers of the system". At least I think that is partly the reason why they did this. I do agree with other posters that I think
Disney is becoming a "nickel and dimeing" to death..

DeerH

You can fix people parking at resorts they don’t have reservations at without charging people. Just issue parking passes on check in.

We usually drive, so I am very upset about this. I feel that you pay over inflated prices for rooms that parking should be included. I know that in cities they tend to charge to park because parking is so limited, but at Disney it's obviously not the case since they aren't charging day guest. What's next, resort fees because everyone else is charging them?

Have the people going to a resort for the day get a parking ticket, like at a garage. On the way out, if they have stayed for less than 2 hours, it's free on the way out. If they have stayed more, charge them something like $5.00 per hour. That will get people out of the parking lots that don't belong there quickly and leave enough room for the resort guests.

If this change affects the stockholders, there could be some changes made to it. However if the stockholders are still making money and the stock prices are increasing - it will be seen as a positive profitable move.

I don't. I enjoy my vacations at Disney. As long as I'm able to afford it, I'll go. I've been going my whole life.

I love Disney, but I can still enjoy the parks without staying on property. I've been going at least once a year for more than a decade, I'm currently an AP holder. We used to stay off property, then started staying on property because we enjoyed the perks and felt the extra cost was worth it. Over the last couple of years those costs have been going up, and the service at the resorts has been going down. This is the breaking point for us -- we can well afford to pay the parking, but I object to paying even MORE to stay on property and getting yet another perk taken away.

Their loss of thousands of my vacation dollars every year. I don't care, I'll still go, we'll just go back to staying off property again from now on, and save ourselves at least a thousand dollars each trip for a little more inconvience. I speak with my wallet when I object to something. Disney doesn't get any of my money for their other greedy grabs like desert parties, paying extra to get into the parks earlier, etc. either.

Have the people going to a resort for the day get a parking ticket, like at a garage. On the way out, if they have stayed for less than 2 hours, it's free on the way out. If they have stayed more, charge them something like $5.00 per hour. That will get people out of the parking lots that don't belong there quickly and leave enough room for the resort guests.

"Day Guests
Complimentary standard self-parking is available while enjoying select dining, shopping, entertainment, and recreation experiences at Disney Resort hotels."

The presence of the word "select" in that sentence is interesting....

I hope, if Mr. Iger still has a Jiminy Cricket in his heart, that resorts with limited parking spaces, like the monorail and Epcot resorts, will enforce 2 hours parking limits and turn away guests who do not have ADR at restaurants.

I agree! But I would make it even more (like $10 or $15 an hour) to make sure parking at the monorail and EP resorts would cost far more than parking in the theme park parking lots. I still see continuous questions on here from people hoping they can circumvent paying for parking by parking at a resort and then going to a park. This new policy doesn't deal with that issue at all and simply penalizes the people who are actually paying to stay at the resort!

I agree! But I would make it even more (like $10 or $15 an hour) to make sure parking at the monorail and EP resorts would cost far more than parking in the theme park parking lots. I still see continuous questions on here from people hoping they can circumvent paying for parking by parking at a resort and then going to a park. This new policy doesn't deal with that issue at all and simply penalizes the people who are actually paying to stay at the resort!
Not to mention how much parking just increased at the parks for non resort/non ap guests. Seems like only those who are trying to follow the rules are being punished by this

I have no problem paying for parking. But I'm one of THOSE people who will defend Disney to the death. Honestly, if I am paying thousands for a vacation, how can I complain about a few hundred dollars? Disney is a buisness with expenses just like any other business. And the crowds are increasing, which means more upkeep on the resorts.

If they charge it, they will pay it.

Seriously? I love Disney as much as the next but that doesn't mean they blindly get my money.

I know we’re not suppose to talk about avoiding Disney policy but what’s to stop me from lying?

“Did you bring your car?”

“Nope!”

“Ok have a great stay!”

You know Disney has zero ability to police this rule. They wont tow. (You just know they won’t because they don’t enforce anything) If you lie how they gonna get you?

1. You pull up to the resort in a car.
2. You are asked if you have a reservation, you respond yes.
3. Your magic band is scanned, and the attendant probably checks a box on the computer that you're driving.
4. Your account is automatically notated that you drove and will be using resort parking.

I'm not sure what makes some of you think Disney doesn't possess the technology to do this.

So, you don't get a parking pass, and your car is flagged that night.

You're kidding yourself if you think you can get around it if they don't want you to.

As I mentioned upthread somewhere, my parents usually drop us at the resort. So what's to stop anyone else from getting through to "get dropped off". And once the car is parked in the lot, there is no way to connect that car with your reservation, so they can't charge you. They don't know who the offending car belongs to. And since I don't see them towing anyone, even if they go back to paper parking passes, what are they going to do about cars that are parked over night without a pass?

. I seriously hate that it's all aimed towards making the shareholders more money at our cost. WDW could be incredibly amazing (even more than it is) if they didn't have to worry about making the shareholders a few more bucks.
I agree. That said, seems like a good time to buy more Disney stock.

Honestly, this reminds me of my dad. My dad is a lifelong New York Mets fan (as am I). However, Mets parking fees have gone up to an absurd level. After the last price increase, my dad swore that he was done attending Mets games- and he was. Public transportation is too hard for him at his age and he isn't going to pay the fee. He hasn't attended another one since, even when I begged him. What does this mean?

There WILL be a breaking point for Disney. People hate being nickeled and dimed, especially on things that seem like they should be included in the already high costs being paid, like parking. Every time Disney makes a decision like this, they lose people. Sure, in the short term, they have more money. But it is an incredibly short-sighted move. Nostalgia sells Disney vacations. If my dad had decided to stop supporting the Mets 15 years ago, then I wouldn't be a Mets fan today. Those people disheartened by Disney now who are going to choose other vacation destinations may raise kids who don't see the appeal of WDW.
I have a seven year old daughter and absolutely plan on steering her away from being a Disney fan like me. By the time she’s an adult admission could be over $200 and parking about $75 I don’t want her throwing away money because of memories I created

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter