Disney Resorts to start charging parking fees....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing their thinking is if they rent an average of 20,000 rooms a day and make an average of $20 a car a day it equals to $400,00 a day in additional income for the company. Now take the $400,000 a day and multiply it by 365 days a year it comes out to $146,000,000 a year additional income with a $0 investment from Disney. I understand why they did this but if they would have just upped the price on everything they sell by .25 to .50 then the majority of people wouldn't have even noticed and the company probably would have made more money in the end and there would have not been very little uproar with the price upgrades. But when you tell families they will need to spend an extra $100 average per trip that takes food and merchandise away from them the majority of people wont be happy.

And that 60 day window means very little anymore. When the rides were new and people wanted to ride them, that was one thing. We always FP Splash Mountain, 7DMT, The Haunted House, and Soarin' and Test Track at Epcot, and have never had a problem getting them even 20 days out. And with DtD becoming more like an overpriced outdoor mall, some of the Disney Magic seems to have become lost. What I like about staying on-site is walking around CBR Lake, spending time with my wife and just relaxing when we don't want to go to the parks, eating at some of the restaurants in Epcot and Magic Kingdom to get some of the WDW experience, and for the cost of the food, the portion seems to be getting smaller...and while the parking fees will not kill us, it is the overall costs that are getting outrageous. Raising prices but lowering expectations/service to your guests is getting old.
I said this to someone on a different forum too, because they said I'd lose the 60 day window and they were horrified by that. I'm an AP and honestly I rarely book my fastpasses that far out. I always change them on my trip too. I've gotten every fastpass I've wanted, some even the day of (like FOP & 7DMT). It helps that I'm a solo traveler, but that's also why this parking thing really hits me hard in the wallet. I like splurging on the hotels, but adding an extra $100-200 to the hotel every trip is going to really add up (plus, I'm technically paying for MDE & busses that I don't use since they're "included" in the price). I've always been the person going "Eh, it's Disney, this is what they do, everyone needs to chill out", but I knew one day I'd find my breaking point, lol. Time to let my AP expire & reconsider it in a few years. On the plus side, I haven't been to Universal for 5 years because I've been sticking to my Disney AP, so hello Harry Potter rides! *puts on nerd glasses*

I would take any reservation confirmation paperwork you have stating the original date of the booking with you on your trip so you have it to show to the front desk if they try to charge you a fee. I don't trust anything a phone or guest services CM tells us at this point. These parking fees will be charged at the resort and are out of the hands of the other departments.
Definitely. I was actually hoping to get an email confirmation back from them as well on this matter, cause I'm sure that they will probably try to charge people regardless of what has been said otherwise.

just got off the phone with the DVC exec office person who called about my email. I knew since it was DVC offices calling that it wouldn't be much help since DVC has nothing to do with this, but assume they forwarded my email to her since I said I was a member.

She was very nice and offered a very sympathetic ear. She offered no excuses or explanations which was frankly refreshing. She did say she was taking detailed notes of everything I said to pass up the chain. I discussed the parking situation at length, as well as my feelings on the dogs at resorts (briefly) and the security checks.

I told her that I understood that as members we were exempt from the parking fees, but I was VERY concerned about what would be coming down the pipeline next and that these fees very much affected my family and friends. I was unhappy about how it was implemented with no explanation or notice. I am unhappy that paying resort guests are charged but day guests get to hog up parking for free which is IMO backwards.

Im sure it won't help and no I don't feel better, but it's done.

I said this to someone on a different forum too, because they said I'd lose the 60 day window and they were horrified by that. I'm an AP and honestly I rarely book my fastpasses that far out. I always change them on my trip too. I've gotten every fastpass I've wanted, some even the day of (like FOP & 7DMT). It helps that I'm a solo traveler, but that's also why this parking thing really hits me hard in the wallet. I like splurging on the hotels, but adding an extra $100-200 to the hotel every trip is going to really add up (plus, I'm technically paying for MDE & busses that I don't use since they're "included" in the price). I've always been the person going "Eh, it's Disney, this is what they do, everyone needs to chill out", but I knew one day I'd find my breaking point, lol. Time to let my AP expire & reconsider it in a few years. On the plus side, I haven't been to Universal for 5 years because I've been sticking to my Disney AP, so hello Harry Potter rides! *puts on nerd glasses*
I have went to the kiosk at CBR many times to change FP's the day of. like you mentioned, and have always got what I wanted...even with 4 people. The only hard one that I have to work for was when 7DMT was first opened. Heck, my son and I went to the solo rider line of Test Track and road it 4 times in 40 minutes.

Last edited:
However if they push me off property because the cost of on property isn’t worth it anymore then I will go to other resorts which I don’t do when staying on property.

Sometimes paranoia can cause what you are trying to prevent.
At the end of the day, without a "slow season", Disney does not distinguish between your money and anyone else's. If you choose not to, or can no longer afford to, stay on-property, that room will NOT sit vacant because you chose not to take it. Folks who cannot afford to vacation at WDW are not Disney's target market. Prices are higher now than they ever have been, and people are showing up by the millions each year. Just don't let the door hit you on the way out. Because even if it does, Disney won't flinch at the sound.

The issue, though, is that a person who is STAYING at the resort is already PAYING. A person who is VISITING the resort is getting to park there for free. It should be the other way around. A person who is just visiting should be paying a separate parking fee and the person who is paying to stay overnight at the resort should not since they are already paying to stay there.

I understand what you are saying, but my point is that a per night parking charge for overnight guests is not going to deter (most) people from staying at the resort. Especially since its "industry norm" as we have been hearing. But if the average local visitor or off-site visitor has to pay $25 (as you suggested) just to eat at a resort, there is a huge chance the resorts will lose those customers. People that have reasons to drive to the resort as a day visitor will not cough up that money just to dine there, or whatever else, and therefore they will not go. Overnight guests will cough it up whether we like it or not.

Actually, those folks get to park for free since they are not staying the night

Right... did you read the post I quoted? Poster was suggesting day visitors should be charged rather than overnight guests. I was just opining on that.

What?! The cabins, too? No! :eek:

Yes, cabin guests now have to pay for their personally designated and numbered driveway parking space pad. Because industry standard.

Parking
Effective for new reservations made March 21, 2018 and thereafter, standard overnight self-parking is available to registered Guests for a fee of $19 per night (sales tax included). Complimentary standard self parking is available when visiting this Resort to enjoy select dining, shopping, entertainment and recreation experiences.

Each campsite provides parking space for one (1) motorized vehicle.

We have been debating the value of being a FL Resident Pass Holder any longer after the last increase, but signed up for it anyway.
We always stay onsite and this overnight parking fee is just plain greed by the Mouse . (lots of new $$$ for $0 new expense)
Can't get out of the monthly payments until pass expires in Nov. , we will not renew . Today made 1 final booking for Sept. and hope for
future AP rate adjustment.
Will then stick with those 3 Day Residents Special Tickets and Offsite Hotels. (too far to drive home daily)

Now that we have confirmation and some details, I'm going to re-post an idea I shared yesterday on this (then rumoured) topic:

Why not just charge resort guests a flat fee at the gate each time they LEAVE the parking lot??

So if you're a week-long guest that's arrived in your car, but you don't drive it anywhere, you pay for parking only once when you leave.

But if you brought your car to Disney with the intention of driving every day (to Universal, and/or adding to road congestion by driving to the Disney parks), you either pay more for that privilege, or you take advantage of a financial incentive to drive less.

And if you're legitimately at a resort for dinner or shopping, your ticket is easily validated at the point-of-sale for 3 hours of free parking.

This would avoid penalizing resort guests who a) need or prefer to drive to Disney, and b) stay in the 'bubble' their entire trip and take Disney transportation everywhere.

Our family is usually both a) and b) described above. But if we start paying a daily fee to park a car we're not using, 'll actually feel MORE inclined to drive in order to get more value from this new expense.

Disney is losing its magic.

Last year my family and I visited Universal. I hated paying the Parking Fees! During our Universal trip, we were constantly comparing it to Disney. Disney has more magic and a lot of that magic comes from the way Disney takes care of their guest. I will usually pass on a hotel that charges parking for a more expensive hotel, just on principle. I can not understand why if you pay to sleep in hotel, why is your car not included for FREE! Disney, I am disappointed and will be looking off property next trip. Disney is losing its magic.

So everything was fine with you until the parking fees? Because if the mindset is “Disney is magical” (one I don’t disagree with) I wouldn’t think parking fees would be enough to change that. (But I agree this is a ridiculous cash grab).

Last edited:
Right, they WANT less vehicles coming in. That's the thing. What they REALLY want is for you to take magical express and not rent a car so you'll spend all your money (food primarily) on property and will be less inclined to go off property to eat or visit Universal, Sea World, etc. The goal is always to keep you on property, so this way if you do want the flexibility, you now have to pay a bit more.

As usual, there will be the initial griping and the internet will implode, but eventually everyone will just get over it and pay and life will go on.

Or people will start staying off property since many other resorts & hotels offer transportation to the parks as well.

One of the parts I keep coming back to is Swan and Dolphin is the place to go if you want deluxe accommodations and have a car after this policy takes effect. Significantly less than BWV / BCV / YC and you get all of the perks except DME (which if you have a car you don't need anyway) and resort delivery of store purchases. We typically fly, but we have rented a car in the past to handle toddler naps and the like. I also think the worst part is this does nothing to scare away the day scammer trying to get around paying to park at the theme park lots.

We are planning a last minute 3 day trip after a cruise. Now we are thinking about just flying home instead. The amount for deluxe resorts are already high before adding parking fees. This just feels like the last straw on top off all of the changes at WDW in the last few years.

I’m with you, but instead of just going home (we’re driving), we decided just to stay off-site and goto Universal/Legoland after our cruise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter