Disney Skyliner Accident

Status
Not open for further replies.
The entire epcot line can be evacuated using a form of lift or bucket truck. Except for when it crosses the river right before it enters the epcot station. At this point they could either use a very heavy duty bucket truck and park it on guest pathways next to the boat station, if possible. Or maybe they have a emergency boat similar to the one on hourglass lake.

So you hear about these companies, groups, whatever, in their heyday and then some super tragic thing happens and the group is just destroyed. Hopefully this isn't that turning point for Disney but between their rising prices, lowered 'magic', failures with SWGE and now this, I can't help but wonder. Disney does not have a very good name for itself right now.
Itā€™s not. This will spread through the Disney community but I donā€™t think anyone will cancel their trip over it. Heck I still plan to ride it- just not when Iā€™m on my way to the airport and not without a water bottle and snack...

This is a joke. They can't hide it when we see photos with our own eyes. Just man up and say that you all screwed up. :rolleyes:
Well, unfortunately for the Disney company they canā€™t completely control the narrative in the age of social media. Really sad they arenā€™t being transparent when there are pictures of collided cars online.
I'm guessing a Living with the Land FP and a $2 coupon for a discount on a Mickey bar

I wonder how they will get anyone off with an ecv? Fortunate, to never have been in a situation such as this. Can a fire truck bucket even hold an ecv? Again, I hope and pray people get off safely!!
It looks like a big flat "bucket" so hopefully big enough for ecv. I was evacuated from a ski lift ride in ocean city 40some years ago and had to climb into a bucket with firemen. I was alone and had dropped my Shoes to my mom below because I was afraid they'd fall. I still remember that night! Worried about people over water. This is a long process. Hope the littles are all asleep

So you hear about these companies, groups, whatever, in their heyday and then some super tragic thing happens and the group is just destroyed. Hopefully this isn't that turning point for Disney but between their rising prices, lowered 'magic', failures with SWGE and now this, I can't help but wonder. Disney does not have a very good name for itself right now.
In today's 24 hour news cycle this will be forgotten in a few days..

just left Disney yesterday... noticed the Skyliner down quite a bit. Not something I wanted to try honestly. Way up in the air with no way down but the RCFD. Hope everyone is okay. This is terrifying and I'm at home.... I can't imagine the people there.

This is just the beginning of a long process of accident investigation, verification of hazard analysis (I.E. proof that Disney did its due diligence analyzing possible accident scenarios and their likelihood of happening). This is something that would have happened during the design process and city/state officials would have been involved and signed off on it.

Then a corrective action plan needs to be made, engineered, implemented and retested. this is MONTHS of work ahead. Lawsuits are going to happen. And nothing is ever going to fix the bad publicity that will come from this.
this is hardly the first time disney has dealt with bad press

If there is someone on staff who knew about a particular vulnerability in this part of the system, I really hope it comes to light. An investigation into the incident as well as an understanding of how these passed muster and how that decision was moved forward is in order. It's not just the accident itself but the insufficient evacuation protocols and resources that are making me question the commitment to safety above all else. Like, some comments above someone mentioned 2 different CMs gave different instructions about how to load a double stroller. How could their training have been so poor and insufficient for such a safety sensitive role? What % of these CMs are CP kids?
there are college program students assigned to the Skyliner. There are also some CP's stuck right now on the Skyliner.

Rode it for the first time this morning. It stopped quite a few times from Riviera to Caribbean Beach. Then easily 10 times from Caribbean beach to DHS. It was fun but after hearing this, our one friend who rode it this morning vows to never ride it again. :scared:

Is there some sort of manual override where they can manually pull the gondolas to a station?
Gondolas are coupled to the line, so moving the line, moves all coupled gondolas. But if gondolas are uncoupled and stuck in a full station (Riviera) then the canā€™t pull other gondolas through the full Riviera.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter