Disney Skyliner Crash?

I think people could come up with reasons to sue if they wanted to. There were children, elderly guests and people with medical conditions stuck up there. If anything happened and they had no access to the care they needed, it would be a huge issue. It could also trigger a stress reaction that could trigger a medical event.

Accidents happen, it’s a reality a life. Nothing we do is 100% safe. This is not out of the ordinary for any mode of transport, but because the system has only been operational for a few days and Disney is such a public entity, the event will be scrutinized more than if it happened at even the most popular ski resort.

You might feel differently if you were in the gondola that was crushed or if you were stuck for 3+ hours in the heat with sick people.

Nobody was in the gondolas that crashed, and mechanical failures do happen.
We are not 100% guaranteed that anything we ride will never break down while we are on it. If we aren't willing to accept that risk, then that poster is right- stay off the ride.

If nobody was hurt I just don't see how lawsuits are appropriate. Things can happen, though it is distrubing that this happened so soon after opening, but it could've been any transportaiton system. I was once on a bus late at night at WDW and the bus broke down. We were stuck for close to an hour waiting for a new bus to come and enough CMs to facilitate the transfer. We had to wait in the bus because the grass could contain wildlife, and the AC was out. Was it a miserable experience? Sure it was, but notbody was injured, jsut tired and cranky. I don't think anybody would have even thought of suing.

That said, I will be very interested to hear about the cause of this mishap and the true extent of the damage. I will want to hear about the potential solution to prevent future issues.

Last edited:
We are not 100% guaranteed that anything we ride will never break down while we are on it. If we aren't willing to accept that risk, then that poster is right- stay off the ride.
It's too early to know for sure what happened. This recount on Twitter appears to be from someone in one of those cars:

According to the article, people were in the gondola that was hit.
Well technically, it’s not a ride. It’s a form of transportation. And bus monitors at Pop this past week have directed people to take the gondola.

I don’t think this is true. There is at least one eye witness account out there from someone who claims to have been in one of the yellow gondolas that got squished. They said there was about a ten minute stop, and a CM was playing trivia games going from gondola to gondola. This indicates that the other gondolas had people in them as well.
ETA : I see someone was quicker than me and posted the account I saw.

There is a lot of misinformation and assumptions being made, and Disney is not giving out any real info.

According to the article, people were in the gondola that was hit.

Well technically, it’s not a ride. It’s a form of transportation. And bus monitors at Pop this past week have directed people to take the gondola.

I said "anything we ride", that includes forms of transportation.

This is from one of the articles linked above
A Disney spokesperson reached out and said that an “empty car was delayed, a second empty car bumped it. No Guests were involved”.

I have not read any other articles on the incident, so for now I guess I am taking Disney's word that nobody was on them but have no problem saying I'm wrong if I am.

I said "anything we ride", that includes forms of transportation.

This is from one of the articles linked above
A Disney spokesperson reached out and said that an “empty car was delayed, a second empty car bumped it. No Guests were involved”.

I have not read any other articles on the incident, so for now I guess I am taking Disney's word that nobody was on them but have no problem saying I'm wrong if I am.

I was referring to the part where you said, “stay off the ride”.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/disney-skyliner-accident.3773008/page-19Check out post 363.

Have any of you ever done these types of rides very high up in the mountains? Yikes!

There was a TV movie in the mid 70's about one of those mountain skyride gondolas getting stuck. Teen idol Bobby Sherman starred in it.
It was pretty scary just watching it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072177/
If nobody was hurt I just don't see how lawsuits are appropriate.

Appropriate? No.

But people might sue because of emotional distress or other factors.

I had read that if it stops over water you have to zip line off. They showed photos of the fire dept. practicing these maneuvers over the summer. Im not sure I could do that. I wonder if they knew the length of time it would take to evacuate. Seem like that would be way too long in the heat of the day.

Fair enough, but the point is that anything can break down and we do run the risk of being stuck. Depending on what/where it is, we can be stuck for a long time.
Of course. That’s a given. But you never know how that will affect you. I mean, how long is too long?

Our 2 older kids & I along w/ an older couple & 2 other boys were once stuck on Splash Mountain at the outside top part in the sun in September for over an hour. It was our log & either one or 2 logs behind us.

The ride shut down, & everyone else was evacuated pretty quickly, but, for whatever reason, they couldn't evacuate us.

We were literally one step away from the side - we would have had to probably put one foot down in the water & then step up onto the side. However, the castmembers wouldn't let us. One castmember said, "You wouldn't want to put your feet in this water!" And I remember thinking to myself, "This is the SAME water that gets splashed in my face after we land at the bottom!"

They had the Splash Mountain castmembers around us, but the "suits" also eventually came out. And they were all radioing back & forth to each other.

We were given water, but we never given any "pee" bags! LOL! I told my kids just to sip the water, because I didn't want them to have to go the bathroom. They were younger at the time, & we all 3 fit on one row.

They could reach our log to distribute the water, & we passed water back to the logs behind us.

They finally decided to push us to the side, & we were able to get out & then were given several any-time fastpasses. (It was before FP+.) The older couple who had been in our log were on their way out of the park & had a plane to catch, so they gave us all their fastpasses. (They had wanted to ride Splash Mountain one more quick time before they left! LOL!)

DH & our younger son were waiting for us, &, until he realized what happened, DH was really worried.

I ended up w/ a migraine from sitting in the sun for so long, & we also missed our ADR at Tony's Town Square.

But we had TONS of fastpasses - so many that we couldn't use them all & ended up giving some of them to another family.

Last edited:
https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...-causing-major-delays-evacuation-in-progress/I answered my own question with a link found on this site. This was such a minor incident. The talk of lawyers is absolutely ridiculous. Maybe everyone was given one of those "Golden FP's" or whatever they are now with the new system. Very fair compensation for such a short inconvenience.
Four anytime FastPasses and a $200 Disney gift card. Each.
You might feel differently if you were in the gondola that was crushed or if you were stuck for 3+ hours in the heat with sick people.
If nobody was injured in the four affected gondolas, they were the least affected. It appears they were able to just step out. Plus, it happened after dark. Plus, while there's a report of one person getting sick, and some assumptions about (general) anxiety attacks, these all appear rare.
why do they build a skyliner that it’s guaranteed to have people stranded very often?
I'm confused. Guaranteed to strand people often? Where is it guaranteed, and how often?
I've never read a report of a ski resort being sued for this.
A ski resort probably doesn't have Disney's deep pockets ;).I

although now I'd be leery of taking the Skyliner anywhere on departure day :)

Read more - definitely a collision of gondolas, broken Plexiglas (and isn't Plexiglas supposed to be hard to break?)

You were wrong in your assumption - would you care to correct it?

Crushed - broken Plexiglas, bent frames.

Not just a bump, a collision strong enough to break Plexiglas.
I'd like to see better pictures of the actual damage. An actual crash hard enough to shatter plexiglass would have caused some sort of injury - no? Nobody has claimed any sort of injury other than being startled and uncomfortable during the wait. The dots are not fully connected. If you have a link to more explicit photos, I'd appreciate it.

If nobody was injured in the four affected gondolas, they were the least affected. It appears they were able to just step out. Plus, it happened after dark. Plus, while there's a report of one person getting sick, and some assumptions about (general) anxiety attacks, these all appear rare.
It’s easy to say, no big deal. And maybe for some it’s not a big deal. My point is, you don’t know how it feels until it’s happened to you.

I'd like to see better pictures of the actual damage. An actual crash hard enough to shatter plexiglass would have caused some sort of injury - no? Nobody has claimed any sort of injury other than being startled and uncomfortable during the wait. The dots are not fully connected. If you have a link to more explicit photos, I'd appreciate it.
I could be wrong, but I envision the plexiglass breaking due to the Gondola being squeezed between two Gondolas, not due to the initial impact of one Gondola hitting another one.

I could be wrong, but I envision the plexiglass breaking due to the Gondola being squeezed between two Gondolas, not due to the initial impact of one Gondola hitting another one.
:scratchin Could be. Again, in the pictures I've seen you can't tell anything is wrong with the plexiglass. The blue gondola is sitting askew but it doesn't really look mangled. I'd be really interested to see some better pictures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter