"Disney trips are so complicated now that you need a class to plan one"

I think Jrb means that some people would stop going to Disney if they made the line skipping option super expensive so your "only" choice was standby. Or at least that's how I read his prior posts.
Exactly that. IMO with everyone having access to Genie+ it's while availability runs out so quickly and why they had to implement all these rules for it. There isn't enough capacity for everyone to have it.

That goes to original reason for Fastpass. The majority of guests complaints were long waits for attractions. Instead of adding new capacity to the parks they came up with Fastpass.

Before anyone posts all the new attractions we have had in the last 10 years how much of that was new capacity versus replacing old capacity.
Capacity is the main issue. FP+ was introduced around 2013 as attendance numbers were growing. They needed a way to spread those people out, Everyone wants the same few rides in each park.

Capacity is the main issue. FP+ was introduced around 2013 as attendance numbers were growing. They needed a way to spread those people out, Everyone wants the same few rides in each park.
It's not different at other parks. Look at Universal when Hagrids opened. People waited in an 8 hour line.

What makes you think standby is not acceptable at Disney? Why would they make their queues so attractive if they didn't want people to use them?

Because the slower they make the standby go, the more likely guests are to buy Genie and lightning lane. There is a financial benefit for Disney to be bad at efficiency, which ironically is one of their key values.

Exactly that. IMO with everyone having access to Genie+ it's while availability runs out so quickly and why they had to implement all these rules for it. There isn't enough capacity for everyone to have it.

It's why they had to change from the prebooking of 3 fastpass. It didn't work outside of magic Kingdom. Now they are just trying to hide that so people buy it.

Because the slower they make the standby go, the more likely guests are to buy Genie and lightning lane. There is a financial benefit for Disney to be bad at efficiency, which ironically is one of their key values.
Yes, it makes them money, but also acknowledge that the G+ capacity is capped. That's so it doesn't bog down the standby line so much.

The way it's supposed to work is any time you open Genie+ all rides would have availability.
I know you're advocating for a drastic increase in the cost of Genie+. But Disney is not Universal. It's better to keep the price low so more people can enjoy the parks. You haven't used Genie+, nor have you waited in a standby line since the implementation of G+. Your proposal is solely based on the negative experience of some guests.

Most of the people saying this stuff have an agenda. They want us to go back to a system where you had to plan FPs months in advance. What's to preplan now? You have to book a hotel and dinner reservations. Neither of those have ever changed. That's it. Everything else is day of. It's very much like the old FP system, except not free.

I would like to see something a bit simpler with Genie and LL. One price for both would fix it, but the preplanning was way worse under the FP+ system.

Most of the people saying this stuff have an agenda. They want us to go back to a system where you had to plan FPs months in advance. What's to preplan now? You have to book a hotel and dinner reservations. Neither of those have ever changed. That's it. Everything else is day of. It's very much like the old FP system, except not free.

I would like to see something a bit simpler with Genie and LL. One price for both would fix it, but the preplanning was way worse under the FP+ system.
I do have an agenda. Genie+ and LL are both garbage. I don't want to be told when I can something.

I do have an agenda. Genie+ and LL are both garbage. I don't want to be told when I can something.

I totally agree. It sucks how much easy money this is for Disney so I doubt it will now ever go away. Unfortunately, I think the only way to make it work is to charge double or triple of what they're currently charging.

You are welcome to like or dislike anything you want. I only meant that some people have an agenda that has nothing to do with legit complaints about a system they dislike, like politically motivated people.

As far as the article with the pre-planning, I don't think anybody can make an argument that Genie + and LL involves more pre-planning or more complicated pre-planning than before. If you would prefer more pre-planning with the old system because it was free, then that's fine, but the pre-planning isn't more now than it was before. It's less.

The main thing I dislike about using G+ is that it removes spontaneity and requires zig-zagging all over the park and having to stick to a strict schedule to get the most out of it. My family then hates me for marching them around and not leaving much room for that oh so important exploration and discovery.

From the perspective of the overall impact it has, it is amazing how much more quickly standby lines flow when G+ shuts down, at the end of the day for example.

They will likely never do it because it is such a cash cow, but my preference would be for them to do away with it entirely. Until then I almost feel required to deal with it because if I don’t I am being impeded by everyone who does.

Would the standby wait times for the most popular rides get longer? Maybe to some degree but there is an opportunity cost to standing in line and the bigger the differential there is between the apex attractions and the tier two rides, the more likely it is that people will pass by for the shorter line. If it is worth it to them to eat more of their park day to ride that particular ride, then so be it - the longer they are in line, the less they are making lines for other attractions longer. If someone wants to stand in line for 8 hours to ride the 60 second long Tron, more power to them, but in the mean time that is one less person riding all of the other MK attractions.

Might be an unpopular opinion but I think having line skipping gone would be a better experience on average. Sure those waiting in those long lines for the few top rides would probably say otherwise, but at the end of the day that was their choice.

You don't have to zigzag the parks with G+. We usually complete one area before moving on to the next. If we start with Jungle Cruise, then our next G+ pick would be something in the vicinity like Pirates. We go to Tiki, Aladdin's Carpet, Sunshine Terrace, etc.. in between our G+ rides. We usually end at Thunder Mountain, then take the train to Fantasyland and go on the rides there. The same style applies to all other parks.

Genie+ reduces the wait times of your selected rides. It doesn't remove your spontaneity. You can go to other attractions in between your LL rides.

You don't have to zigzag the parks with G+. We usually complete one area before moving on to the next. If we start with Jungle Cruise, then our next G+ pick would be something in the vicinity like Pirates. We go to Tiki, Aladdin's Carpet, Sunshine Terrace, etc.. in between our G+ rides. We usually end at Thunder Mountain, then take the train to Fantasyland and go on the rides there. The same style applies to all other parks.

Genie+ reduces the wait times of your selected rides. It doesn't remove your spontaneity. You can go to other attractions in between your LL rides.
This. When someone zigzags it's 100% their choice. We've never zigzag-ed when using G+, we choose a LL, and then choose what we can do around it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter