• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland cancels Eastern Gateway, more parking and hotel

Wouldn't that seem or feel weird to walk through one hotel to get to another?! Thank you for the answer, it looks like you are right...

I think it's an outdoor area in between the two hotels. One article I read makes it sound like all 4 Disney hotels will be connected by this outdoor area with fountains and stuff. I think it's weird they are building it right in front of the DLH!

I wonder if they will allocate part of the new hotel to DVC? With VGC being so popular and with only that property offering DVC at DLR, they might be able to offer new contracts again.

I love ESPN Zone - it's always my favorite less-likely-to-be-crowded-and-definitely-with-less-kids spot, and I often swing through if I'm passing through Anaheim. I can't imagine it fitting elsewhere in DTD, this is such a bummer.

The AMC was always my place to go to rest my legs after one of the runDisney half marathons, and so now every aspect of that experience will be gone. So, uh, thanks Disney, for eliminating my need for the AMC before taking that out too, I guess. :-/

I love the laid-back nature of strolling from DTD to the Disneyland Hotel, the images just look really cramped and claustrophobic. I can't imagine being a fan of this if I got stuck with a room at DLH staring at the new hotel.

WOW, the theater, EOS, ESPN and Rainforest???? It's not like there is room anywhere else for ESPN and Rainforest! Rainforest is always packed!!! I pray they relocate EOS!!!!

According to DPB comments Disney is working with those locations see what they can work out.

Ooh!!! I can get onboard with this! Hope the DtD tenants work in-hotel deals! If Starbucks works a deal it would be the first starbucks in a domestic Disney Hotel I think. About time!! Serious kudos if anyone said the new hotel is going smack-dab in between DLH and the monorail... didn't see that one coming! The popular new hotel could have a Star Wars land back entrance theory alas has been solidly crushed.

Construction to start summer 2018... now to figure out how can I afford another DL trip in between now and when the construction chaos befalls West DtD...

Last edited:
Just read through it quickly, but the plan is for this new hotel to sit directly in front of the Disneyland Hotel? Besides being upset about losing EOS (in addition to Rainforest Cafe and ESPNZone), it doesn’t make sense to me to block the DLH like that.

Despite the architecture being completely different, my first impression is that it kinda reminds me of the old Garden rooms, shopping and dining building from Ye Olde days of the Disneyland Hotel. I'm so old school, that I was never a fan of the "loud" Downtown Disney sitting so close to the towers. I'll have to see how this works in reality, instead of an artist rendering, but so far so good for me. And may I be the first to say, "Bring back the Monorail Cafe."

I wonder what this means for a Marvel expansion. I wasn't following the news closely but I seem to remember rumors that one of the reasons for the eastern gateway project was to open up space in the current bus drop off and security area, which could allow them to expand the perimeter of DCA.

Long time lurker , I am a dvc member at the grand for what that’s worth and this redesign is just terrible all around

Despite the architecture being completely different, my first impression is that it kinda reminds me of the old Garden rooms, shopping and dining building from Ye Olde days of the Disneyland Hotel. I'm so old school, that I was never a fan of the "loud" Downtown Disney sitting so close to the towers. I'll have to see how this works in reality, instead of an artist rendering, but so far so good for me. And may I be the first to say, "Bring back the Monorail Cafe."
Gotta be honest while I can get onboard with most of this I'm not thrilled with that initial architectural look. It looks like it needs to be updated and the hotel hasn't even been built yet.

What is the big glass building behind Paradise Pier where the parking lot is now?
I wondered that too, but based on the map that was posted earlier, I think it is the hotel parking structure with possibly solar panels on top. Just my guess though. It does look like glass!

I have mixed feelings. It does look like it will make the hotel area more cohesive and easier to navigate. But, on the other side, I was really hoping the Eastern Gateway would happen so that the eastern security checkpoint lines might improve. I know there were all sorts of issues coming to an agreement with the city, but what are they going to do now with all that space and the hotel they closed to make room for the bridge?

It seems that they rushed this with the cancellation of the eastern gateway. So little Land left for expansion / parking etc they should have gone vertical with new resort and obviously they can’t at this location. Take a deep breath Disney people you can do so much better.
They had no choice. Anaheim wasn't budging and they needed to expand parking before Star Wars.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter