Disneyland cancels Eastern Gateway, more parking and hotel

Let's make guesses at the name and theme! Since the GCH hotel mirrors the name of GFH (and that's the premiere one there) I don't see them mirroring any other Orlando name since they want to elevate it as 4 Diamond status.

I really can't imagine what it will be. The only thing I can think since it's Walt's Park to name it after him, the Walt Disney Hotel and Suites or something.

New hotel: Make it Star Wars themed. The Death Star. Krennic can roam the halls looking at people funny.

Last edited:
Despite the architecture being completely different, my first impression is that it kinda reminds me of the old Garden rooms, shopping and dining building from Ye Olde days of the Disneyland Hotel. I'm so old school, that I was never a fan of the "loud" Downtown Disney sitting so close to the towers. I'll have to see how this works in reality, instead of an artist rendering, but so far so good for me. And may I be the first to say, "Bring back the Monorail Cafe."
I thought the same in regards to the Garden rooms. If they bring back the Monorail Cafe, I might be OK with this...... maybe....

Despite the architecture being completely different, my first impression is that it kinda reminds me of the old Garden rooms, shopping and dining building from Ye Olde days of the Disneyland Hotel. I'm so old school, that I was never a fan of the "loud" Downtown Disney sitting so close to the towers. I'll have to see how this works in reality, instead of an artist rendering, but so far so good for me. And may I be the first to say, "Bring back the Monorail Cafe."

I agree. My first thought when I saw the pictures was "That kind of looks like the original Disneyland Hotel, only this is newer, updated, and cooler looking."

I think it's a great idea. I can't wait to stay there.

Somebody earlier in this thread mentioned this article on the OC Register --> http://www.ocregister.com/2017/10/2...and-be-a-death-blow-for-businesses-on-harbor/

I disagree with the author's theory that this could spell the demise of Harbor Blvd businesses and here's why:
  1. There are STILL going to be thousands of tourists from out of town who will be planning a DL vacation on a smaller budget.
  2. There are STILL going to be thousands of tourists who like the benefits of being, literally, directly across the street, yet not having to pay on site hotel prices.
  3. There have been no announcements that I've seen, anyway, saying that the City of Anaheim has said they are definitely getting rid of the crosswalk at the BWPPI motel.
  4. ALL of those people staying at the following hotels on Harbor Blvd will STILL be stopping at McDonald's, Tony Roma's, Mimi's Cafe, Panera Bread, Pizza Press, etc. for food (hotels like Hojo's, Marriott Courtyard Theme Park Entrance, Marriott Fairfield Inn, Tropicana Inn & Suites, BWPPI, Park Vue Inn, Desert Inn & Suites, Del Sol Inn, BW Plus Anaheim Inn, Grand Legacy at the Park). There have been eateries and motels on that stretch of road for 6 decades. It's not going to end now just because Disney is building a SINGLE hotel that will have 700 rooms....
  5. Disney will eventually do something with that land they own on Harbor Blvd and right behind the McDonald's & such. It just won't be in the next 4 years.

I'm just glad Disney is doing something in regards to parking, even though this will lopside incoming traffic even further into the western side of the resort. Traffic into M&F already gets gridlocked very often on busy weekends, and now adding in even more incoming traffic?

Love it. So happy they are adding more rooms and future DVC. Love that the monorail will pick up inside the hotel. Can’t wait to stay there.

Somebody earlier in this thread mentioned this article on the OC Register --> http://www.ocregister.com/2017/10/2...and-be-a-death-blow-for-businesses-on-harbor/

I disagree with the author's theory that this could spell the demise of Harbor Blvd businesses and here's why:
  1. There are STILL going to be thousands of tourists from out of town who will be planning a DL vacation on a smaller budget.
  2. There are STILL going to be thousands of tourists who like the benefits of being, literally, directly across the street, yet not having to pay on site hotel prices.
  3. There have been no announcements that I've seen, anyway, saying that the City of Anaheim has said they are definitely getting rid of the crosswalk at the BWPPI motel.
  4. ALL of those people staying at the following hotels on Harbor Blvd will STILL be stopping at McDonald's, Tony Roma's, Mimi's Cafe, Panera Bread, Pizza Press, etc. for food (hotels like Hojo's, Marriott Courtyard Theme Park Entrance, Marriott Fairfield Inn, Tropicana Inn & Suites, BWPPI, Park Vue Inn, Desert Inn & Suites, Del Sol Inn, BW Plus Anaheim Inn, Grand Legacy at the Park). There have been eateries and motels on that stretch of road for 6 decades. It's not going to end now just because Disney is building a SINGLE hotel that will have 700 rooms....
  5. Disney will eventually do something with that land they own on Harbor Blvd and right behind the McDonald's & such. It just won't be in the next 4 years.
Have to agree this does zilch to hurt Harbor.

Someone mentioned the Marvel Expansion at DCA... Consider this; What if Disney reclaims the bus, rideshare and pedestrian access on the east side, and forces everyone through the new single security checkpoint on the west side of the resort, in between the two parking garages? Build a new drop-off point behind the new parking structure, and put everyone on the trams. You'll still have people staying at the Harbor hotels, but you're taking a ton of foot traffic away. Disney has ALWAYS been big on keeping it's guests "in the bubble". If they can't build an eastern gateway, they'll put absolutely everyone through the west side.

And, it opens up that property for DCA expansion.

Food for thought.

I think I'm most baffled by the decision to remove the movie theater. It doesn't make sense. Out of all the things in DTD that probably brings in quite a bit of revenue consistently and will be the hardest to replace.

Someone mentioned the Marvel Expansion at DCA... Consider this; What if Disney reclaims the bus, rideshare and pedestrian access on the east side, and forces everyone through the new single security checkpoint on the west side of the resort, in between the two parking garages? Build a new drop-off point behind the new parking structure, and put everyone on the trams. You'll still have people staying at the Harbor hotels, but you're taking a ton of foot traffic away. Disney has ALWAYS been big on keeping it's guests "in the bubble". If they can't build an eastern gateway, they'll put absolutely everyone through the west side.

And, it opens up that property for DCA expansion.

Food for thought.

Oh god, I hope not with the security. It's already a mess on certain days without making everyone go through one single checkpoint. Can you imagine how long that could take? That might be the stupidest idea. Plus what would they do about the GCH entrance?

I'm just glad Disney is doing something in regards to parking, even though this will lopside incoming traffic even further into the western side of the resort. Traffic into M&F already gets gridlocked very often on busy weekends, and now adding in even more incoming traffic?
They did say they were going to add more lanes for traffic flow into the parking structures. If it will be enough to help alleviate congestion even once SWL is open idk.

Oh gosh it looks just like the mco hyatt regency.

And it's contemporary. With a monorail.

Come on Disney. Innovation. Not copying Florida.
Also... a beautiful hotel with ample greenery, gardens and water features?! Did Disney forgot to tell their designers the area is prone to drought? This hotel really does look like it was designed with FL in mind!

I'll be happy once it's all done. It looks like the long ago monorail in front of the DLH where we'd go to eat and relax. The entire area has no top quality resorts/hotels, so I am hoping this will be it.

I do eat at Rainforest Cafe a couple times per year, but I have to say the food is only adequate and the service is usually poor. I'd rather have really good service and food somewhere without the aquarium and lightning shows. Always think about going to the movies, but never do. That's no loss to me, especially with a new bowling alley being put in. Haven't eaten at Earl of Sandwich, but will before they remove it since so many people rave about it.

Overall, I am pleased with the potential because I feel like while being new and modern, it is a bit of a throw back to what Disneyland Hotel used to be - only hopefully, with top level service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter