Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

I saw some bloggers mentioning this loophole with masks. I have a feeling DL may do something similar if they have to.

Update to the mask rules (7/18/20):
@ScottGustin
Jul 18, 2020
Confirmed this policy clarification with Disney. As reported, the policy says guests may remove their face covering while actively eating and/or drinking but guests should be *stationary* and maintain appropriate physical distancing.

It’s safe to assume this policy clarification is a result of guest behavior at EPCOT during the F&W Festival. This is a small change and absolutely the right call. It also eliminates a perceived “loophole” that was being exploited by some guests. Good move all around.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw some bloggers mentioning this loophole with masks. I have a feeling DL may do something similar if they have to.
Update to the mask rules (7/18/20):
@ScottGustin
Jul 18, 2020
Confirmed this policy clarification with Disney. As reported, the policy says guests may remove their face covering while actively eating and/or drinking but guests should be *stationary* and maintain appropriate physical distancing.

It’s safe to assume this policy clarification is a result of guest behavior at EPCOT during the F&W Festival. This is a small change and absolutely the right call. It also eliminates a perceived “loophole” that was being exploited by some guests. Good move all around.

Wish they would do this at my local Target with the Starbucks in it. People just walk around with the straw in their mouth. Like come on guyssss.

I’m sure Disneyland will establish the same rule- it’d make sense to keep things uniform at both parks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish they would do this at my local Target with the Starbucks in it. People just walk around with the straw in their mouth. Like come on guyssss.

I’m sure Disneyland will establish the same rule- it’d make sense to keep things uniform at both parks.
I see it at every grocery store! I didn't see it happen too much at DTD, thankfully.

I guess I don't find it that odd because of the current state of things within the state and OC specifically, it makes sense that they aren't saying anything. I think hearing that Disney is going to make an announcement, like allowing hotel books "after X date" gives people false hopes & sets up for disappointment. I do understand some are craving news direct from the Mouse, any news.

I am really not trying to be negative.

I totally agree with you. There isn’t anything to say- it was one thing when they didn’t get permission, but now things are going the opposite direction with the new roll backs. What is there to say?

I spoke with a legacy CM at DTD yesterday. One of the things she said to me was that she didn’t feel that an August opening was overly optimistic :-).
I’m not an expert, but I think it’s highly overly optimistic. First, they’d have to get passed these new roll backs AND move further ahead in reopenings. Seeing as the OC is currently outpacing LA County on new cases, I don’t see that happening anytime soon. And although they’re different beasts, I don’t see how they justify opening up theme parks when declaring return to schools unsafe. On our roadmap, schools were ahead of theme parks.

I’m not an expert, but I think it’s highly overly optimistic.
And exactly what I have been saying about giving people false hope and setting up for disappointment.

From Disney's stand point it may not be overly optimistic. I am sure they are ready with all the necessary safety protocols. But with out State & local approvals, that will NOT be happening before fall (from all the modelling) and may not even happen for another year or longer if we don't get our acts together.

I'm really confused about all this talk about how "out of control" CA is. Our Rt is currently 1.05. Back one month ago when we were fully in Stage 3, the Rt was...1.08. I don't get it. By the actual metrics, the state is doing better now than it was during stage 3. Our highest Rt since reopening at Stage 2 was 1.12. The highest it ever was was 2.5 in early March.

I want to know what science is being used to make these decisions that are coming out of the governor's office...

Two of the metrics used is more than 100 positive (over 14 days) per 100,000 persons. and greater than 8% positivity rate (7 day average). OC's cases per 100,000 is 215.5 & the positivity rate is currently 13.5%.

https://ochca.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/cc4859c8c522496b9f21c451de2fedae

Yep, but we are currently meeting all the other metrics by a LOT. Our hospialization usage, new hospitalizations, and ICU rates are well below the thresholds. Isn't that what really matters?

Yep, but we are currently meeting all the other metrics by a LOT. Our hospialization usage, new hospitalizations, and ICU rates are well below the thresholds. Isn't that what really matters?

Doesn't really matter. with increasing transmission your county (and mine and many others) meet the requirements to be on the watch list. Increasing case counts will lead to more hospitalization.

Those metrics do matter, but I think the problem now is that they are still rising at a rapid rate, even if they are are still below threshold. It’s getting things under control again before there is a problem that they can’t catch up with.

I'm really confused about all this talk about how "out of control" CA is. Our Rt is currently 1.05. Back one month ago when we were fully in Stage 3, the Rt was...1.08. I don't get it. By the actual metrics, the state is doing better now than it was during stage 3. Our highest Rt since reopening at Stage 2 was 1.12. The highest it ever was was 2.5 in early March.

I want to know what science is being used to make these decisions that are coming out of the governor's office...

SAME. I check the actual data everyday and just shake my head. I have so many other things to add, but this isn’t the appropriate place.

I think Disneyland is ready to open as soon as they can. I bet they’ll be open less than a month after the opening date is announced.

Our hospitalizations have been going down. That's my point.
Don't know what to tell you. Your county meets the requirements based on new case rates & positivity. You can't only look at hospitalizations as that is only one part of the larger picture. Right now it seems that it is younger, generally healthier people contracting the virus. It is only time before they spread it to the older populations.

Until it gets under control Disneyland and other theme parks won't be able to open.

edited to make is semi-on topic. ;)

Last edited:
Don't know what to tell you. Your county meets the requirements based on new case rates & positivity. You can't only look at hospitalizations as that is only one part of the larger picture. Right now it seems that it is younger, generally healthier people contracting the virus. It is only time before they spread it to the older populations.
Look, there is no point in trying to say what will happen with the virus and to whom- things are fluctuating daily, so let’s get back to talking about our hopes/speculations about when DLR will open, how we’re preparing, and what we want to happen with the reopening!🥰

Look, there is no point in trying to say what will happen with the virus and to whom- things are fluctuating daily, so let’s get back to talking about our hopes/speculations about when DLR will open, how we’re preparing, and what we want to happen with the reopening!🥰
You are right. This is not the thread to discuss (or speculate) on the virus itself. I was only answering @DLgal question on why OC was being shut down again.

and what we want to happen with the reopening!🥰

I know this is so back burner right now but considering today was the Avengers Campus opening date pre-pandemic I keep wondering how long after reopening that they will open it... or at least announce it! That was a big priority for us so I hope they announce that news right when the ball gets rolling again. Even if it’s 2021- help us plan right?

Honestly, I don't think Disney's silence is all that odd. What more is there to say?...
I totally agree with you. There isn’t anything to say...
I don't think this is about "what more is there to say" or that this is comparable to "are we there yet?". To me, it's more like being on hold for over an hour and wondering if the agent on the other end is working on your behalf or if they have forgotten about you. Even if all the agent has to say is, "I'm sorry this is taking so long, but thanks for hanging in there!", it really does help -- at least psychologically -- to have them check back occasionally so that you know that you aren't just left "pending" endlessly. Disney usually is more actively in touch with their fan base. That's why this silence feels odd -- it feels pronounced. Don't know about others, but I'm not expecting any major news. (The headlines are enough to temper any expectations and ground optimism with realism and a practical outlook.) That's not what I'm talking about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter