Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

This steady flow of articles and statements the last 2-3 days now definitely feels like a coordinated effort; Especially with mayors and other public figures lining up. I'm probably wrong, but I think "Soon" from Newsom today means a little more than it did last week. Watching with interest!

I find it interesting that Newsom has used the word "negotiating" in the past 2 new conferences, when he speaks of theme parks. I don't know what to make of it, it just seems like a strange choice of wording when you have the trade association on the other side saying they are waiting for guidance.
I think he’s being blatantly honest. He isn’t done negotiating no matter what the theme parks tell the media.

This steady flow of articles and statements the last 2-3 days now definitely feels like a coordinated effort; Especially with mayors and other public figures lining up. I'm probably wrong, but I think "Soon" from Newsom today means a little more than it did last week. Watching with interest!
Let's hope...

I wonder if there really are negotiations going on behind the scenes. Perhaps over the allowed capacity %?

It’s interesting to me that Knott’s has found it to be profitable to hold their festival, and for whatever reason, Disney has declined to do something similar.

Is it possible that Disney knows they need a certain capacity percentage to operate profitably and that’s in conflict with what Newsom is comfortable allowing?

I believe there’s always more going on behind the scenes than we know and that it’s not as simple as Newsom staying quiet while the highest up park reps (like Iger) just stand by waiting.

Just speculating.

I think he’s being blatantly honest. He isn’t done negotiating no matter what the theme parks tell the media.

Totally agree with this. They would "need" to work/negotiate with the parks on the guidelines. Otherwise they could be too strict (or loose) and lead to all kinds of problems-- including a park deciding it's not economically viable to open at that time. That would be egg on face.

I find it interesting that Newsom has used the word "negotiating" in the past 2 new conferences, when he speaks of theme parks. I don't know what to make of it, it just seems like a strange choice of wording when you have the trade association on the other side saying they are waiting for guidance.

I'm wondering if Disneyland is part of the problem and they are trying to say that they are getting nothing from Newsom (along with Universal), because they want to open at a certain capacity and maybe Newsom is not okay with that but they don't want to seem like they're being difficult so they are saying they aren't being given guidelines. There is no way they haven't been since there is someone from Disney on the reopening committee thing. I don't buy for a second that they haven't been given something, they probably just don't like it and are going to say they haven't been given anything to make themselves look better.

I'm wondering if Disneyland is part of the problem and they are trying to say that they are getting nothing from Newsom (along with Universal), because they want to open at a certain capacity and maybe Newsom is not okay with that but they don't want to seem like they're being difficult so they are saying they aren't being given guidelines. There is no way they haven't been since there is someone from Disney on the reopening committee thing. I don't buy for a second that they haven't been given something, they probably just don't like it and are going to say they haven't been given anything to make themselves look better.
Could be. Someone a few posts back mentioned the operating capacity that will yield a profit. That capacity limit that turns a profit I'm sure varies for each theme park. So say Newsom wants theme parks to operate at 20% capacity when they first reopen, that could work for Disney or Universal, but maybe not for Knotts or Legoland. Not to mention big parks like Disney and Universal with a lot more money may be able to handle restrictions that keep the park safe (i.e. Disney having CM's throughout the park to remind you to wear a mask)

Nothing related to Disney...but he just called the NCAA, NC2A. Is this a California thing or just a Newsom thing?
Neither. I've heard it and used it many times. Maybe it's a west coast thing? I'm also trying to think when I started hearing it or who I first heard it from, but I can't remember. I was a college athlete and then a college recruiter and coach for 5 years, so it might be something that's used more by people in college athletics?

MOD EDIT: The colors and percentages used are only being given as examples here!

I honestly don’t find it that strange. That is what they are doing. Theme parks want to open now! Newsom says not until yellow. They go back and forth and settle on Orange. Theme parks want 50% capacity. News one says no 25%. They settle on 35%. It is totally a negotiation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly don’t find it that strange. That is what they are doing. Theme parks want to open now! Newsom says not until yellow. They go back and forth and settle on Orange. Theme parks want 50% capacity. News one says no 25%. They settle on 35%. It is totally a negotiation.
Has he actually said not until yellow or you’re just using it as an example?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter