Disneyland's Bibbidy Bobbidy Boutique

I am SOOO excited to take my dd here!! Heck.. I might even get done up as well.. :rolleyes1:banana::banana:

Alas, for us, the visit wasn't so great. The good thing, though, is that on our way off to the airport I met two CMs who seemed to have the ability to take feedback and perhaps make some changes with BBB as it pertains to boys.

Sure, BBB is mainly for girls, I understand that. However, they offer this ONE thing for boys, and I feel (call me crazy!) that if they're going to offer it, they need to do it RIGHT.

My boy isn't anti-girl. He likes them, and doesn't mind hanging out with them. Doesn't mind pink (though he doesn't want to wear it) or glitter or anything. I let him know that there would be many girls around him, and he was OK with it in theory and in reality.

The hair salon "capes" are blue (fine) with pink princess-head (Cinderella I think) on them. OK, OK, that's OK...would be nice if they had a few with a *knight* on them, since they have the "knight's" package, but OK. I mean, considering that we're supposed to be in Sleeping Beauty's castle it would make more sense to have Sleeping Beauty's image on the capes (and sign), so it makes no sense from any angle. Equal opportunity making no sense. :rotfl:

The choices for the Knight's package are...spikes or slicked back. My dude has no real concept of what slicked back might look like, but he knows that hubbys' short hair goes into spikes, so he chose spikes. Alas...despite a very recent haircut, it was too long. So if your guy has short hair, spikes are fine. But if it's a little longer, those spikes are going to look like true, damage-doing, spikes.

In looking at the pictures, I think it's not as bad as we felt it was at the time. E really didn't like it, and it took two days for us to figure out all the reasons. Some are because he just didn't like the spikes, others are reasons that probably won't mess with other kids, but I'll give you the reasons just in case.

The FGIT, who was really VERY nice and sweet and spent a LOT of time on him (it's supposed to be 15 minutes but we were there ages b/c of how careful and meticulous she was being), told him not to hug me until the colored gel she was putting in his hair was dry, so I didn't get red dye on me. A nice thought. However, he didn't really understand it, thought his hair would be like that forever, and therefore, we finally figured out, thought he would never be able to hug me again. Poor dude. Little kids get strange things into their heads sometimes, and it can be the simplest thing that puts it there, so just have it in your head that your kid might have a strange thought like that, if they have a weird reaction.

At the end, when they did the not-so-big reveal (they do a big thing for GIRLS, but with him it was just turning him around), he did not like it. So she offered to take some spikes down to make it a mohawk, but he doesn't know what that is. From all the little boys I saw with them, he must be in the minority, but that was the deal with us.

And the FGIT was really sweet and said all the right things about fixing it, and we tried to get him to talk, but he went all quiet. Told me the next day that he was scared to tell her that he wanted her to fix it, because he didn't want to make her mad. :( I would have just had her do it, but that place was packed and I felt we had spent quite enough of her time already, so we just left.

He did like the sword and shield! I, personally, think they should give the parents a head's up first...the foam sword is just fine...the plastic sword was...too big to fit into our luggage. We had a big carryon that's a DVC tote with a zipper, we were using it for crackers, bagels, and bread (safe stuff for E), and we put it in there, just barely cramming it in, and thankfully the TSA agents we encountered were tremendously sweet and understood that it was a toy, but made sure we knew that not all TSA agents would have let it get past them. It's BIG (and we use luggage that's actually carryon size...if you use bigger, hard-sided, luggage you won't have a problem, but we did).

We also feel that the confetti is just silly. It took what could have been a pretty cool hairdo (with shorter hair, or even with his hair) into just silliness. In our opinion. I've seen pix of the "cool dude" hairdo at WDW and it looked fine in pix, and it actually looks OK in my pictures, but in person it just looked...well...silly.

E with hairdo with confetti and sword and shield.
IMG_0314.jpg

Closeup of droopy spike and confetti and all.

IMG_0318.jpg

Shortly after that pic was taken, someone said Happy Birthday to him, and we were greeted by a fellow dis'er, boiseflyfisher, if memory serves. It was cool. :goodvibes

He did get lots of compliments and looks from people all day. As the day went on he liked it more.

But he was VERY glad when we went back to the room and I rinsed it out before we went to the pool. Very glad to get "his" hair back.

Oh, and the last little bit of "if you're going to offer a thing for boys, do it right" is the keepsake thing you get. First, it's not something to get AFTER the visit. Rather it's something that should be given BEFORE. It talks about inviting you to step into the boutique, and shows the choices.

For girls.

Not for boys.

front:

IMG_0437.jpg

back:

IMG_0438.jpg

It's all princess-centric, and that's just not right. Who would it hurt to make up a page, even if it has to be in pink, without saying that they will turn "you into the princess of your dreams"? I don't think it would hurt anyone. Make up 10 or 20 boy brochures a day, there, you're done. Maybe get some knight-head capes. Have a picture of the hairdos available for boys so that smaller boys know what on earth is being offered to them. Not hard!

And the CMs I talked to at the end of our stay didn't think it was difficult to implement either, and thanked me strongly for my ideas. I'm hoping it will be better for other boys in the future!

I am SOOO excited to take my dd here!! Heck.. I might even get done up as well.. :rolleyes1:banana::banana:

I did!!! I need to post pics too and do my trip report. :) I had a GREAT time at BBB for my 38th bday and I didn't feel weird at all. I loved my FGIT, she was so much fun and I had a lot of hair and she did a really great job. I was a little bummed about only have 3 choices, really for me there was only 1 I would do so I got my tiara! :thumbsup2 DD9 did the same style and thought it was great that we did the same thing. We almost made DD12 do it too but decided to let her to her Diva thing instead. LOL

Molly, I'm sorry E didn't have that much fun. I do think they need to make changes so it's more boy friendly. I think he looked very cute! :)

my husband may kill me but i want to do this for myself.. wonder how big the dresses come.. im pretty short and may be able to squeeze into a dress lol lol... only for picture purposes though not sure if i'd walk around Disneyland like that lol...

The dresses are not big enough for adults. I can wear a kids 14-16 and there weren't any dresses I could wear. Besides DL wouldn't let you do that anyway, they won't let you in wearing a costume unless you're under 10. You could do the hair/nails tho, that's the best part anyway. :)

::MinnieMo

I think I want to go back to the BBB in Disneyland since i've never been to that one. I'm 24, and I went and did it with my best friend at WDW and people kept saying how cute we looked and we were like "We're celebrating becoming princesses today!" It really was an amazing experience, and my fairy godmother in training was so wonderful!! I think the best part about it was because i'm older, I can always remember this experience. As a kid, I don't remember a lot of my Disney memories, but as an adult, it will stay with me forever.

Here's my "Reveal" picture when they showed me the final product (in the mirror, so reverse image LOL), and then me and my amazing FGMiT
3383623471_a9a95645e2.jpg
3384436046_2bf8741caa.jpg

Thank you, Molly & Rachel, for your reviews, and especially with the pictures.

Molly, I'd be interested to see if they made any changes based on yur recommendations.

Just Book my Daughter Appt For the Castle Package august 10 does Anyone have a pic of what the sleeping beauty Dress looks like that what she wants

Some questions, if anybody knows?

- How long does the makeup and nails package take?
- Is there a discount for AP holders or Disney Visa holders?

Thanks!

Some questions, if anybody knows?

- How long does the makeup and nails package take?
- Is there a discount for AP holders or Disney Visa holders?

Thanks!

Well it was myself and my 2 girls, we got taken back at the same time and it took us about 30-40 min give or take a few. We didn't do nails, only the hair package. And yes, there is definitely a discount for Premium AP holders. I think for the Visa too but I don't remember.

WE got 5 prints I think, we got a 5x7 and 2 sets of 2 smaller 4x6s. If you have a photopass card they will just put them on there so that's what we did, we got the photos then and we also had them put on the card so I was able to add borders to them. We did...ummmmm, 3 or 4 different poses, 1 with the woodland animals, 1 standing outside the carriage and 1 sitting inside the carriage.

I made a ressie for DD and I to get made up at BBB when we go in Sept. The only problem is that she will be 10 and 2 weeks. She will not be able to wear the princess dresses (not to mention that she is already 5'2"). So, I made an outfit for her to wear.
IMG00041-20090728-1932.jpg

IMG00045-20090728-1936.jpg

The pants are capri length slicky material. I plan on taking the outfit and having them put it in the changing room so that she will get the full effect. She has not seen the outfit; since, this will be a surprise. She will not know about the makeover until she gets in there for the ressie.

Oh Naomi, that's so cute!!!!! I'm sure she will have a wonderful time at BBB! :)

I made a ressie for DD and I to get made up at BBB when we go in Sept. The only problem is that she will be 10 and 2 weeks. She will not be able to wear the princess dresses (not to mention that she is already 5'2"). So, I made an outfit for her to wear.
IMG00041-20090728-1932.jpg

IMG00045-20090728-1936.jpg

The pants are capri length slicky material. I plan on taking the outfit and having them put it in the changing room so that she will get the full effect. She has not seen the outfit; since, this will be a surprise. She will not know about the makeover until she gets in there for the ressie.

The outfit looks great! I'm sure she'll be thrilled. My DD11 did BBB in February at DW and I made her this outfit. She's excited to go with her little sister to the one at DL! I can't wait to make Oct. ressies!

Image714.jpg

Oh Naomi, that's so cute!!!!! I'm sure she will have a wonderful time at BBB! :)

Thanks, Kerri! DD is into matching clothes, so I made one for me with Snow White without the buttons. I can't wait to see her face! We've been telling her that she can't do BBB because she is too old for wearing costumes. She will freak out!

The outfit looks great! I'm sure she'll be thrilled. My DD11 did BBB in February at DW and I made her this outfit. She's excited to go with her little sister to the one at DL! I can't wait to make Oct. ressies!

Image714.jpg

Those are so cute!!! It's great that you DD11 still likes to do that. I really wish Disney wouldn't cut the age for dresses so young. Have a great time in Oct!!!

I surprised my 20 year-old niece w/ the hair & nail package a couple of weeks ago during her first every trip. princess: She's still talking about it....I've definitely won the best Aunt award! :woohoo:

I surprised my 20 year-old niece w/ the hair & nail package a couple of weeks ago during her first every trip. princess: She's still talking about it....I've definitely won the best Aunt award! :woohoo:

Sounds like a TOP Aunt to me! Glad she liked it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter