Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
We stayed here for my child's first visit in 2012. We love it. I loved visiting it as a child. I do have a split stay booked again (with BC split, to try a new but go back to an old favorite). We just stayed in GF for the first time in 2017. We loved the updated feel and brightness, but still were missing the POLY at heart. We walked over there a few nights just to absorb the resort and eat some Captain Cooks and Dole Whip. So we feel we are drawn to go back this time, although I just worry it will feel even more run down to me (because it did back in 2012 however I know there were a lot of refurbs since we went, Soft goods, Oasis pool, Trader Sams, kids splash area, hot tub etc). I just worry about the rooms. They were SO dusty when we went. I also dislike the bathroom not having separate sinks. But still, I booked. I did look at DVC even though not 2 beds. I started to consider it late last night, that yes, my kid can handle a pull out bed I decided. Then I realized I may get stuck with a crappy view, parking lot view and I decided no way. I already had a pool/marina view booked so I can't chance a DVC room being parking lot view.

I just pray I am not severely turned off by the condition of the room for the price tag. We had WL also on our list, but figured that will be our next stay. So you just affirmed that for me, putting of WL due to a upcoming refurb is good for that reason too.
A BC/Poly split sounds wonderful and I do not think you will be disappointed! I just returned from a YC/GF split and ended up at Poly multiple times (Boutiki, Tambu Lounge, Captain Cooks, and a Luau) so I completely understand the obsession! No other resort lobby smells as good to me :)

I last stayed at Poly in March and my room did not feel dusty at all. All the rooms got minor tweaks around 2017 with tv upgrades, ceiling fan removal/light installation, and the addition of some new outlets so that could also help make it feel a little fresher.

Last edited:
I found the darker wood theme to be completely in keeping with the Polynesian/Hawaiian look. Koa wood is beautiful and when stained is very dark. While I doubt the resort was made with actual koa wood, I believe the dark wood theme of it is meant to mimic koa and other polynesian woods like teak. I clerked for a federal judge and we actually heard a case in the District Court of Honolulu and the courtrooms there are lined with koa wood. At first it appeared too dark to me but I really grew to appreciate its richness and depth.

Not to mention that the Polynesian resort's look really references the early 70's and I felt that Disney does a good job of keeping that theming alive while not letting it appear shabby or outdated. We stayed there in April mainly because of the fact that its been such an iconic presence ever since WDW was built.

As for the elevators, we stayed on the second floor of Tokelau and while the elevators weren't exactly the best, we hardly used them since it was a pretty short flight of stairs up and they are outside too.

I love the browns and mint green walls at the Poly and I love the brown wall in the washroom with the tiki men. I love that retro 70's look! :)

I just returned from a YC/GF split and ended up at Poly multiple times (Boutiki, Tambu Lounge, Captain Cooks, and a Luau) so I completely understand the obsession!

We always have to visit the Poly when we stay elsewhere. We love Captain Cooks and Boutiki is my favorite resort shop. I enjoy trying different resorts, but I do miss the Poly when we don't stay there, so I understand the Poly obsession as well :).

A BC/Poly split sounds wonderful and I do not think you will be disappointed! I just returned from a YC/GF split and ended up at Poly multiple times (Boutiki, Tambu Lounge, Captain Cooks, and a Luau) so I completely understand the obsession! No other resort lobby smells as good to me :)

I last stayed at Poly in March and my room did not feel dusty at all. All the rooms got minor tweaks around 2017 with tv upgrades, ceiling fan removal/light installation, and the addition of some new outlets so that could also help make it feel a little fresher.

Sounds good!! So you can relate I see! How did you like your YC/GF split? How was the YC? Never stayed there or the BC, so we want to give it a try but not commit an entire trip to it.

Any idea why they removed the ceiling fans? I am probably going to be happy about this. Those hold such dust, so it's probably a good thing. I really hope we are not disappointed? Also, we plan to do the Luau again (love it), Ohana of course too.

Sounds good!! So you can relate I see! How did you like your YC/GF split? How was the YC? Never stayed there or the BC, so we want to give it a try but not commit an entire trip to it.

Any idea why they removed the ceiling fans? I am probably going to be happy about this. Those hold such dust, so it's probably a good thing. I really hope we are not disappointed? Also, we plan to do the Luau again (love it), Ohana of course too.
Definitely! I loved the split. Doing it again this spring (BC/GF) Best of both worlds. Poly is my favorite MK resort when I want to go to Epcot, but the walk from BC/YC is unmatched. Its so convenient to go from your resort to the park in about 10 minutes. The HS trek is also much easier from the Epcot resort area. I typically walk it, but the boats are also enjoyable! The resorts have a different feel. You will appreciate that they are newly renovated and have the separate sink area. I like that they are all enclosed so if it is raining you do not get wet when going for a meal or mug refill.

I think the ceiling fan change was a Disney resort wide update. Not sure if it was for cleanliness because of the dust or problems with the fans, or just to keep all the rooms consistent. But I know in 2016 we had a fan at Poly and 2017 it was gone! The new tvs are nicer and they also removed the door from the refrigerator cabinet for heating issues. haha

On our summer Poly trip this year we were having such a good trip overall that we decided we weren’t ready to go home yet, but wanted a change of scene. Chose YC since they had availability and we had never stayed there - and for an extra night we figured no worries if we hated it. It was our last Deluxe to try and it had never really appealed to me from afar at all. Well, we’ve been back twice since July for short stays if that’s any indication of how much we enjoyed it. :-)

YC is kind of like the anti-Poly resort - it’s just so different. They both have various pros and cons (like all resorts) but I think the contrast and the locational advantages of each resort are nice compliments to each other.

On our summer Poly trip this year we were having such a good trip overall that we decided we weren’t ready to go home yet, but wanted a change of scene. Chose YC since they had availability and we had never stayed there - and for an extra night we figured no worries if we hated it. It was our last Deluxe to try and it had never really appealed to me from afar at all. Well, we’ve been back twice since July for short stays if that’s any indication of how much we enjoyed it. :-)

YC is kind of like the anti-Poly resort - it’s just so different. They both have various pros and cons (like all resorts) but I think the contrast and the locational advantages of each resort are nice compliments to each other.
I feel like YC is almost the Grand of the Epcot resort area and BC is the Poly haha. I enjoy both, and tend to pick the resort I get a better discounted rate at. YC was December, BC is March.

I haven't been able to snag a decent Poly deal for any of my dates coming up in 2019. I will keep checking!

I feel like YC is almost the Grand of the Epcot resort area and BC is the Poly haha. I enjoy both, and tend to pick the resort I get a better discounted rate at. YC was December, BC is March.

I haven't been able to snag a decent Poly deal for any of my dates coming up in 2019. I will keep checking!

I’ve never been good at booking bounce backs because I usually need more flexibility in dates later on, but after a 2018 full of some pretty crappy discounts at Poly, I wised up and booked a Poly bounce back on my last trip. 30% seemed relatively decent, or at least better than 15-25%! :-)

How does dvc booking work? If Disney also lets anyone book dvc rooms, do they keep a certain amount open for dvc owners so they can book at the 7 month mark or if regular people book up the dvc room s then the owners are out of luck for that resort? Just trying to figure it out because we just put in a request for poly dvc from a rental company and waiting to see if there are owners that have that week opened. I’m worried we will be waiting and waiting and not end up getting one.

How does dvc booking work? If Disney also lets anyone book dvc rooms, do they keep a certain amount open for dvc owners so they can book at the 7 month mark or if regular people book up the dvc room s then the owners are out of luck for that resort? Just trying to figure it out because we just put in a request for poly dvc from a rental company and waiting to see if there are owners that have that week opened. I’m worried we will be waiting and waiting and not end up getting one.

DVC members are not booked into specific weeks. We buy points and can use them whenever Disney has availability. What you are waiting on is for someone that has points that they want to sell. Then they will have to check to see if there is availability at the resort for the dates that you want.

DVC members are not booked into specific weeks. We buy points and can use them whenever Disney has availability. What you are waiting on is for someone that has points that they want to sell. Then they will have to check to see if there is availability at the resort for the dates that you want.
Thanks for the reply. Just got confirmation this morning that a dvc member gave us their points and there is availability. So excited!

Thanks for the reply. Just got confirmation this morning that a dvc member gave us their points and there is availability. So excited!
Congratulations, you will love it!

Also, for future reference, Disney is required to hold a certain percentage of DVC rooms back for cash reservations, so if you are having trouble getting a room through a rental company, it maystill possible to book a DVC room direct from Disney.

Mele Kalikimaka Everyone!

Happy holidays to all, and may the coming new year be full of Lapu Lapus, trips down the Lava Pool slide, fulfilled longhouse requests, Dole Whips, Tambu Lounge bread pudding, abundant Ohana ADRs, nightly Electrical Water Pageant/Happily Ever After viewing from the beach, and any other of the countless reasons that make the Polynesian - and this thread - a fun place to visit.

:earboy2::earboy2::earboy2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter