DLH- please make me feel better....

krismom

<font color=blue>New Rule:<br><marquee><font color
HI again-
I had no choice to downgrade us from Grand Cali to DLH for our October trip. It was almost $1,000 difference and I couln't really justify it. Anyway- I did all my research on the GCH, and know nothing about DLH. Can anyone give me any opinions and / tips for our stay? Also, is the "pirate" pool at all scary? we are traveling with 5 year old twins and my 3 year old sons.
I'm mainly worried about the monorail being down during our trip. Is it really far to walk at the end of the day?
Oh well, I'm hoping they'll like the theming better at least! thanks for any comments-

I've never stayed at DL Hotel but we walked through on our last trip to DL. I thought at the time that if my children were younger they'd love that hotel more than the GCH. The walk from the parks to the hotel didn't seem long at all to me, in fact it was nice walking through Downtown Disney. I think your family will love it there.

Honestly I have had the same issue, I really want to stay at GCH but cant justify the price difference for the amount of walking I will have to do... :cool1: so we are staying at the paradise pier. Im sure both of our families will have wonderful memories no matter where we stay. :wizard:

We stayed at PP June 05 and went to the DLH many times . It's all within a very easy walk and very nice.

The pool is no problem at all you will all enjoy it.The rest of the grounds are also very nice to walk around.

If you can handle walking any of the WDW parks the entire DL area will be no problem .Their DTD is not as long as WDW's or at least it doesn't seem to be.

HEY, $1000 IS a lot of money...the DL hotel is very nice. I have stayed there several times; even once stayed in the ambassador suite because they messed up my reservation. It is quite a distance from the park but there is so much to see on the walk! You won't be bored, that's for sure. There is a really good restaurant at the DL hotel...it's a little formal; food is wonderful. Have fun!

I have stayed at both hotels, and I think the DLH is more fun for kids. For the price difference, I would definitely stay there! The walk is really not bad at all.

We're going in September with our two little boys (then ages 6 and 2), and we'll stay at the DLH. From everything I've read, younger kids LOVE the DLH best! The major attraction, I think, is the awesome Peter Pan-themed pool area. But there's also a smaller quieter pool, a sand area, a pond with koi in it (and if you time it right, you might be able to help feed them!), a waterfall, a nice garden, and remote control boats you can play with (for a fee...)! People mention the room themes, but I honestly don't expect my boys to notice that much, we'll see. :)

And if you can do a character meal, Goofy's Kitchen is right in the hotel, and supposed to be a great time, very energetic and entertaining. We'll be going to celebrate DS's 6th birthday (a month late.)

I would dearly love to stay at the GCH someday. But we also couldn't justify the additional cost, especially with the boys being too young to appreciate a lot of what the GCH has to offer. So maybe when the boys are older, and if we can get a great deal there... here's dreaming anyway!

Would it make you feel better knowing that I would have loved to have stayed at the DLH, but with 6 people on our trip...we couldn't justify the price for 2 rooms or a suite @ even paradise pier. We saved probably $400 dollars by booking a good neighbor kids suite. You will have a great time and remember it could always be worse! Enjoy! :sunny:

A good thing about DLH is you often see characters in the lobby. I haven't seen them at PP or GCH. The Neverland Pool isn't really scary. There's a big (to a child) pirate ship, but you can't climb on it, but that's really it. I don't think many kids would be scared of it.

With that many people you will be GLAD you are at the DLH! GC won't guaantee a 5th bed, only a sleeping bag. The rooms are larger at DLH too.

my cousin has stayed at both and she says both her and her husband hated the beds at GCH, which surprised me. . . I have stayed at the DLH several times. your kids will enjoy the pool!!

I have stayed at both the GCH and DLH and while the GCH is a great location (especially if you spend a lot of time in DCA), the DLH feels more "Disney" to me. The rooms feel larger, the decor is brighter and lighter and the many Disney touches just make you feel like you are in the magic your whole vacation. Don't get me wrong, GCH was great, had many 4 star hotel amenities like turn down service which are very nice, but in the future when we stay onsite we will likely return to the DLH. Its still my favorite Disney hotel on either coast. So don't feel sad, get excited, you are going to have a ball!

P.S. The walk from the parks is not bad at all. Even when we went with my twin nieces (who were not quite four at the time) we seldom used the monorail. I like the walk up DTD and so did all the kids. Lots to see, it goes very quickly. And sometimes taking the monorail is more trouble than its worth. You have to catch it going back at night from Tomorrowland and the lines can get long (even with the priority boarding onsite guests receive). And sometimes getting to Tomorrowland takes more time and effort than just exiting the park and walking back. And in the mornings I just like to enter thru Main Street and see the castle. I would say the walk is about 10 minutes, even when we had my elderly parents and small kids with us.

Check out the sticky on the top of this board that has photos and information on the DLH.

You will be absolutely happy with the DLH. We just got back about a month ago and had three nights at the DLH and three nights at the GCH. We saved some and still got to go to do both. Changing rooms was a snap. Bell services took our luggage over in a Suburban and we checked in later. We had a premium view over Downtown Disney and the parks at DLH and a standard view at GCH. After a few days at DLH, we were wondering if we should try to stay the whole time at DLH and skip the GCH. Lots of great service and attitude from CMs and the most uniquely themed hotel in DLR or WDW. We all thought WDW should build a hotel with the same theming. Mickey in the carpet, Mickey hands holding bathroom lights, Tinkerbell wall paper and such. Hooks Point and Goofy's Kitchen were wonderful. The walk was no big deal at all (but we are used to WDW) and the pool is very kid friendly. We did go to the GCH and were definitely "WOWED", but in a different way. Very cool but not as much Disney for the kids. Just go, it will be great.

I've stayed at both, most recently DLH last year for the 50th celebration, and I agree with what's been said so far. I really like GC because it reminds me of the Wilderness Lodge at WDW, and it is romantic (I have a BF, no children) and convenient to the parks. Last year I decided on DLH, although like you, I was skeptical if I was going to like it as much as GC.

But you know what? I won't say one is better than the other because they are both terrific in their own way, but we had a terrific time at DLH! I guess it was more "fun" as opposed to romantic. The rooms have some great Disney touches in them, and although we didn't use the pool, we had a room overlooking it, and it looked great! The theming is much better and more fun for kids than the GC pool. It's also bigger. We also had a good time walking around the grounds. There are fabulous gardens (also with Disney touches) and the koi ponds. I think you and your kids will really have a terrific time there! And just think what you can do with that extra $1K!

You can always walk around GC too since it's right there, but I don't think you will regret your decision to switch to DLH!

rlmas said:
You will be absolutely happy with the DLH. We just got back about a month ago and had three nights at the DLH and three nights at the GCH. We saved some and still got to go to do both. Changing rooms was a snap. Bell services took our luggage over in a Suburban and we checked in later. We had a premium view over Downtown Disney and the parks at DLH and a standard view at GCH. After a few days at DLH, we were wondering if we should try to stay the whole time at DLH and skip the GCH. Lots of great service and attitude from CMs and the most uniquely themed hotel in DLR or WDW. We all thought WDW should build a hotel with the same theming. Mickey in the carpet, Mickey hands holding bathroom lights, Tinkerbell wall paper and such. Hooks Point and Goofy's Kitchen were wonderful. The walk was no big deal at all (but we are used to WDW) and the pool is very kid friendly. We did go to the GCH and were definitely "WOWED", but in a different way. Very cool but not as much Disney for the kids. Just go, it will be great.

How did you arrange your reservations to stay at both hotels? We are considering doing the same thing next March, pending rates/packages for 2007.

Matt

Matt,

We used our DVC points so we had member services set it all up, but I think you can just call DLR reservations and book back to back reservations at each hotel. At DLH, ask for Bonita Tower facing Downtown Disney. We were on the 8th floor and could see DCA and well as DL from there. When it was time to check out(DLH)/in(DGC), I just called bell services about 30 minutes prior and they took our bags from our room to DGC. We then took off for the parks. We claimed our bags when we got back to DGC with the ticket we were given at DLH and they brought everything to our room.

Good luck!

Thanks. The only problem is that I wish to book through AAA, assuming they have the enhanced fast-passes.

How should I go about doing that? Book the first hotel along with the tickets on AAA and then call to book 3 more nights at DLH?

Matt

That might work. I do not have any experience with AAA. Maybe they could help you if you explained what you want to do. What is an enhanced fast pass?

A fast pass without restrictions. IE, I could go grab one for every ride in the park at the same time. To the best of my knowledge, only offered if booked through AAA.

Of course, this is for 2006. We won't know anything about 2007 specials until some time in August.

Matt

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter