Do our American friends strive to visit the UK?

My Dad and I are hoping that our next trip, maybe sometime in 07 can be to the UK. My Dad was born there, in Henley-on-the-Thames, Oxfordshire, England (please forgive my spelling and punctuation if it is incorrect) but his family moved to America while he was still quite young and he has never returned. Now that he is getting a little older, he has become nostalgic about visiting his birth place, and I must admit to a very strong curiosity about where my family came from.

Goodness, yes! Honestly, I've been saying for most of my life that the one place I *have* to go someday is the UK. The culture has always fascinated me- I'm an oldschool punk, you see. My mother has always wanted to go for similar reasons (Beatles, of course), I guess we are a musically-obsessed family!
You also have such awesome housing architecture. I love checking out UK real estate online, when there are pictures and floor plans. Our houses here in the states tend to be very cookie cutter (not the old ones, of course, but those aren't as abundant here) without the pride of craftsmanship, so the interesting rooms, woodwork, etc. are just lovely to me. :thumbsup2

Oh- and someday I need to see platform 9 3/4. :lmao:

Family Fun Mom said:
I dream of someday visiting Europe and the UK is on the top of my "must see" list if I ever make it over there. To see Big Ben and Buckingham Palace would be unbelievable, and your countryside is breathtaking. There is plenty to see and do here in the U.S. but there is something about Europe... I love how you value history. We are all about tearing down, and building new. You have buildings there that are older than our country! You have structures that were around when Jesus walked the earth. I can't even wrap my mind around that. Going to Europe is one of my greatest dreams. Maybe someday I'll actually be able to do it.

I know, its spooky, we went to york minster which is not that old really for us lot and I wandered down into the crypt and you think this is weird people walked this same root, 100's and 100's of years ago.

If you com eover have a great time.

Cheers

Steve

My ancestors came over from England on the Mayflower. That was before the USA was formed. Other ancestors were english "nobles" who renounced their titles when they immigrated here. Try not to hold that against me. For our family England will always be the "home country." I know how silly that may sound but when I visited London some years ago it was like coming home. And I discovered the wonder of "Chrissy poppers" and tanduri food. Oh and Old Speckled Hen poured fresh from a keg in a pub. I was so impressed by how friendly, courteous and kind the British people were.

The only time that friendliness wore thin was the fault of myself and a co-worker who were drinking in a pub, (with other co-workers).We got into a political argument that became very heated and was on the verge of becoming violent. (My co-worker had picked up a steak knife.) Wisely, and justafiably the bartender expelled our whole group of ugly Americans into the street so we could go "kill ourselves quietly outside and leave the rest of us in peace." That was a bad example of how to win friends and influence people.

The UK is a wonderful place. Rich in history and they serve a dandy meat pie. Can't wait to go again. I promise to behave this time around. And my DW loves the UK too.

I'm a BIG fan of the UK pop culture. Love all of the music that came out of there ,over the past 40 some years. I'm a major Beatles fan. Love the Stones, Led Zeppelin. I thought Princess Diana was an awesome person. I adored Twiggy as a child. I'd love to go....in a heartbeat. One day, I'll make it over there.

I have always wanted to visit the UK. I spent a summer in France in 1986 and I wish that I had taken the opportunity to visit England at the time (I don't think that the Chunnel was in existence at that time). I have a pen pal friend that lives in Derbyshire(sp?). I plan to take my son to visit Europe (UK and France) when he turns 10 (he's 4 now)

someone touched on Led Zep. The local I go to, www.bathams.co.uk Robert Plant drinks in the bar on a regular basis. Its pretty weird to be on nodding and chatting terms with one of the world rock legends.

Steve

stevechase said:
someone touched on Led Zep. The local I go to, www.bathams.co.uk Robert Plant drinks in the bar on a regular basis. Its pretty weird to be on nodding and chatting terms with one of the world rock legends.

Steve

That was me, a self proclaimed Zep head ! Thanks for the link to Plant's favorite bar. I Would love to pound a few with him... BEERS that is ! :drinking1

Yes! I hope to visit the UK someday-I've wanted to my whole life.

I would love to visit the UK, it's one of my goals. My grandfather came from England, got married and raised 4 sons. I love the history, the culture & the beauty of the country.

My oldest DS visited England, Wales & Ireland in 2003. He can't wait to return for another visit. He went with his school & met many wonderful people while he was there. The pictures he brought back were great! I look forward to my own trip - hopefully in the next few years. :)

I have never been outside of the US but my fondest wish is to visit the UK, my DH and I have been talking about setting up a "UK fund" so we can save money to go in a few years.

I would love to see all England and Scotland has to offer, there is so much history there it is just mind numbing. I once read somewhere that "100 years is a long time to an American and 100 miles is a long way to a Brit" or something like that.

Look for me in a few years.

I didn't read all the posts & I know this is old but I thought I'd add my reply....

I have never been out of the US (30 yo!) & don't NEED to go see anything in the UK or anywhere else abroad......HOWEVER, if the opportunity presented itself there are places I'd like to see.
For me, places of my heritage hold the most interest: Wales, England, Ireland ......and then I'd like to see Rome, Greece & Spain also. For the history & the food! :)

But more than anything, if I could see every state in the US I'd be satisfied. I live in AZ ..... no beach. I LOVE the ocean so touring the West coast (I have CA just about done!) & then the East would be a blast!

Only just come across this thread, but Stevechase, in an earlier post you said about America having mountains, come on, we have too, I should know I've been up a few. With USA being so vast there is so much to see from big cities to fantastic looking national parks and I can understand why some people are quite happy to not want to visit another country, I just can't get my head around the fact that with the USA being so big some places are so far away from the coast. We are smack bang right in the middle of England, as far away from our coast as we can get but even so in just a couple of hours we could be on the beach. Its a case of the grass is greener,we would like to be there and they mostly would like to be here. Maybe we could set up a house swap thread :teeth: .Very interesting reading.

I love the UK! I’ve only been in England. I’ve traveled most of the southern part of England but haven’t been as far north as Scotland or as far West as Wales. I attended two semesters of school in London while in college. I'd move there - but it's way too hard for an American to get a work visa in the UK. I was in London just last month visiting my sister who currently lives there. (My brother in-law is English).

Hi Wendy

Good point, but I guess they do seem have a greater variety of things because of the size of the place. But the Snowdon and Ben Nevis dont really compare in beauty to the Blue Ridge Mountains do they? And how does the Thames compare to the Colorado or the Mississippi.

I know what you mean about the grass being greener, but I think it would be a more exciting place to live.

On another note, thanks to everyone who has shown an interest and replied, this has been running for 3 weeks now, a big thanks from England.

Steve

Actually after visiting Epcot World Showcase, I have wanted to
travel to many places. UK is one of them. My DH and I have planned
to travel when our children are grown so it will be a few more years.

Now I just have to get over my fear of flying!

Scoutmom41

stevechase said:
Hi Wendy

But the Snowdon and Ben Nevis dont really compare in beauty to the Blue Ridge Mountains do they? And how does the Thames compare to the Colorado or the Mississippi.

Steve
Was it the Blue Ridge Mountains in the Waltons? I loved that series. And at least I can claim I've been on the Thames :blush: . No it can't compare, but I know what you mean about living there, that was until I saw that Morton Spurlock programme about living on the minimum wage, and not being able to afford healthcare and watching what they spent their money on, made me have a rethink. DH is a postman and I'm a hospital domestic so you can imagine what kind of earnings we would be making over there. Looks like my days will be lived out over here and saving like mad to go over there!!!

just feeling a little upset :sad2: that no one's mentioned wanting to visit Sherwood Forest / Major Oak the legendry haunt of Robin Hood!

I am sorry, of course Robin Hood is big with our US friends, a little spoilt from the original Richard Greene show by the Kevin Costner epic, but still a great place to visit.

Shame old Cloughie is not about any more that would have been a shock for the US visitors, bumping into old Brian Clough - A man and legend!

Good morning one and all, UK here and yep you have guessed it, it is still raining, our summer is long gone now.

Steve

Brians son is the manager of our local team Burton Albion, not quite so vocal though. And we used to be the brewing capital of England! Marmite is made here and we have a lovely Nescafe factory up the road, when the wind is in the right direction we get a wonderful aroma of coffee. And don't dismiss our summer we may have an Indian summer yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter