Do they turn folks away?

EsmeraldaX

DIS Veteran
I was just reading someone's trip report and she said that the parks were closed at 11:30 am, filled to capacity??? :confused:

Do they really turn people away who arrive later in the morning?
I have never had this happen before. I'm going Feb 21st-March 01 of 2004 and on my arrival day, won't be at MK until around noon after plane , luggage and checking in. The rest of the trip, we planned on waking up around 8 or 9 to get to the parks by 10 each day. It's just two adults and we are not morning people.

Would they really turn us away? How often does it happen?

As I understand it, if you're staying on-site at a Disney resort, you won't be turned away.

If the parks reach maximum capacity, and you're staying off-site, this can happen.

Thanks for the info.

:(

I guess we're going to have to drag ourselves up. As much as I love Disney, I really wanted to be able to relax and sleep in later than I have to get up for work while on vacation.

We're staying offsite (cause it was free) with park hopper plus passes.

What happens if you have a PS reserved and you can't get into the park?

:confused:

Does anyone know how often the parks fill to capacity? Does it happen much 2/21 - 03/01 ?

Thanks!

We had this happen Christmas week when we stayed off-site (never again). When you drive in, there's a sign that says MK is closed. I don't think it happens much other times a year, except maybe a Saturday here and there at MK. I wouldn't do MK on a Saturday anyway.

I seriously doubt you will have that problem on the Saturday AFTER Presidents' Day, maybe the Saturday before. Do expect MK to be crowded that day though. You should be fine getting to the parks at 10 a.m.

Also in Oz!

This post reminded me our our experience during our Millenium trip. On December 31, 1999, EPCOT (and I think MK) was closed BEFORE the official opening time. EPCOT had Early Entry that day, and the lines were so long that they were at capacity before the official opening time one hour later. Except for extremely busy days like this, I think that closing a park is pretty rare. I agree with previous posters that it is unlikely that you will get closed out when you go.

It happened over Easter to us. We were staying onsite and drove over to DD for lunch and decided to spend the rest of the afternoon at MGM. When we drove in, we were turned around and told the park was at capacity but if we took a bus from our resort, we could get in.

pin

We were there during Memorial Day 1996 on our Honeymoon with our 9 year old DS at the time and the MK was closed due to capacity, we were off site, but they would not let anyone on the monorail. It turns out that day was also a gay day :(

Ugh.

I just told DBF that we might have to wake up early and he was very unhappy and said "well its not really a vacation if you have to get up earlier than you do for work." I suppose I agree with him. It will be fun I'm sure, but now I'm even more stressed out about planning. We really wanted to do MK on the first day we are there because it just feels more magical and we wanted to have dinner in the castle.

:(

The parks don't close "early" very often. I don't think I would even worry about it while you are there. If it were Christmas or New Years than I might be a little worried.

This really happens <i>very</i> rarely - only at Peak times. Christmas Day, New Years Eve, maybe Easter.

I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought about it happening at any other time - seriously - enjoy your lay in :)

I really doubt that you'll have a problem on your dates. The absolute busiest times of the year at WDW are Christmas (generally from Christmas Day through New Year's Day) and Easter (the week before and after). I've also heard that MK reaches capacity on some other holidays, such as Memorial Day or the 4th of July. My understanding is the MK is more likely to be closed due to capacity crowds than any of the other parks.

If you are staying onsite, you are supposedly guaranteed to get into a park during peak (capacity) times, but not necessarily the park of your choice.

We are staying offsite and going over Christmas :rolleyes: , but we'll be there the week before and plan to get alot done that week.

Have a great trip!! :D

One of the most important bits of advice I can give to you to maximize your enjoyment at the parks is to get there when they open and take advantage of your EE. It is tough when your spouse, friend, partner, or child is not as eager to visit WDW - but there has to be some sort of understanding that it is much more miserable to arrive at the park at 10:00 to burgeoning crowds rather than sleeping an extra 2-3 hours.

Negotiate for your BF to get up early- the parks are always best first thing in the morning. Good luck.

Originally posted by Scott2tune
One of the most important bits of advice I can give to you to maximize your enjoyment at the parks is to get there when they open and take advantage of your EE. It is tough when your spouse, friend, partner, or child is not as eager to visit WDW - but there has to be some sort of understanding that it is much more miserable to arrive at the park at 10:00 to burgeoning crowds rather than sleeping an extra 2-3 hours.

Negotiate for your BF to get up early- the parks are always best first thing in the morning. Good luck.

Can off site guests visit during EE?

No- EE is for onsite resort guests only. As Local girl said, being on-site does not guarantee you entry to a particular park such as MK on a filled to capacity day. It only guarantees you will be able to get into one of the parks.

I was at WDW in Feb of 2002 and if I remember correctly it wasn't really busy at all! I remember walking on to a lot of stuff, our longest wait was about an hour for Test Track because we didn't get fastpass. Please don't let yourself get stressed! I think the parks are best when they open but I also LOVE to sleep in on vacation. It's hard to make a happy compromise when you're vacationing at Disney. Maybe you could get up early for a couple of days and have some designated "sleep in" days?
But don't worry! You're going to Disney World and it's gonna be fun!! :bounce:

:sunny:

Esmeralda,

I agree with Michelina...Maybe you can compromise--sleep in some days, and get up early for a couple. I would try to get to the MK at opening if at all possible (and NOT on an EE day or on Saturday, since you are staying offsite) because with having to take the ferry/monorail to get to the park it just takes longer to get there.

Hi,
I also read the post that I think you are referring to about MK being closed at 11:30. IF that is the post I think it is, I can assure you that it simply did not happen - I was at MK that same day and the crowds were medium at best, certainly not wall to wall people!! For your dates, I would not worry another minute about this issue - sleep in and get to the parks whenever you want, and have a great, relaxing trip! :cool:

I think since we can't possibly arrive at MK on Sat, Feb 21st before around 12:30 (our first day) , literally going from the airport to MK, we are going to maybe do Epcot instead if we can't get in. I really wanted to have dinner at the castle that first night though and I know I need to make PS for that.

Hopefully we'll be able to get into at least one of the parks.

Esmerelda - seriously...don't worry...you'll get into MK without a problem - especially in February - I swear it :)

Make your PS for Cindy's and enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter