Do you anticipate a Vacation this summer

Well, that's nice that you've been all over the world, I'm happy for you. But some of us have not, myself included. My husband and I didn't vacation for the last three years so we could save up for our first trip out of the country to England this June. Obviously that had to be cancelled. I don't feel "untouchable" but I just want to go somewhere, anywhere. I want to look forward to something again and it just seems hopeless.
Life is full of disappointments. My family has been in medical isolation for 5 months, long before Covid 19. I'm not going into list my full list of disappointments here, but know there are plenty. I understand feeling hopeless. I have felt that way for 5 months. But staying home and staying safe is not the end of the world. I hope you get to England soon. It's my favorite country to visit. I hope to go back someday.

Well, that's nice that you've been all over the world, I'm happy for you. But some of us have not, myself included. My husband and I didn't vacation for the last three years so we could save up for our first trip out of the country to England this June. Obviously that had to be cancelled. I don't feel "untouchable" but I just want to go somewhere, anywhere. I want to look forward to something again and it just seems hopeless.
I know what you mean. We always travel to the USA and now the border is closed, not that I would go anyway but it would be nice to have hope. Our only option is to rent a cottage by the lake but we live in the city and travel is restricted in our own province so I can’t even rent a cottage right now. There is nothing to look forward to, and every single festival, parade, fair, event is cancelled for the summer here.

Last edited:
Life is full of disappointments. My family has been in medical isolation for 5 months, long before Covid 19. I'm not going into list my full list of disappointments here, but know there are plenty. I understand feeling hopeless. I have felt that way for 5 months. But staying home and staying safe is not the end of the world. I hope you get to England soon. It's my favorite country to visit. I hope to go back someday.
I'm sorry, wasn't trying to pick on you... Just having a pity party over here :wave2: Stay safe out there and maybe you can share some advice on England when we try for June 2021.

Since this thread got bumped, I'll share an update on our summer travel plans. I'm picking up the bed platform for my van-camper setup from storage on Friday, and we're tentatively heading down to Alabama a week from Saturday (as long as I'm able to get my van in for an oil change and check up between now and then). It is definitely not going to be our usual sort of trip and I want the camper setup installed just in case we can't easily find lodging on the road, but we're going while we have the time.

We’re driving to Sedona this weekend (From SoCal) and have a local beach hotel booked for July. We might drive to visit family 6 hours away or to the mountains this summer. No flights yet though. I’d be comfortable flying, but the uncertainty makes it difficult to plan.

It’s not that I’m untouchable. The decision to travel boils down to one thing. At some point everyone coming out of this is going to have to make a choice. The choice isn’t to travel or not, but when to engage with the world again and to what degree. That decision matrix looks different to everyone based on numerous personal factors. I’m one of the most reasonable people you’ll ever meet and our decision matrix says that we feel ok with our specific travel plan for this summer. Someone else’s matrix may keep them in the house for another year and I respect that. We cancelled our October cruise but know many people who will jump on a ship the moment they start sailing again. Our matrix says no cruising until at least 2021. Again, based on numerous factors. Everyone is in a different place with this whole situation, travel plans laid or not.

@becauseimnew , I’ll see ya in beautiful Utah! Enjoy your trip!

Thanks @low-key for starting this thread. The responses have been really interesting!

It’s not that I’m untouchable. The decision to travel boils down to one thing. At some point everyone coming out of this is going to have to make a choice. The choice isn’t to travel or not, but when to engage with the world again and to what degree. That decision matrix looks different to everyone based on numerous personal factors. I’m one of the most reasonable people you’ll ever meet and our decision matrix says that we feel ok with our specific travel plan for this summer. Someone else’s matrix may keep them in the house for another year and I respect that. We cancelled our October cruise but know many people who will jump on a ship the moment they start sailing again. Our matrix says no cruising until at least 2021. Again, based on numerous factors. Everyone is in a different place with this whole situation, travel plans laid or not.

@becauseimnew , I’ll see ya in beautiful Utah! Enjoy your trip!

Thanks @low-key for starting this thread. The responses have been really interesting!
We are so excited, have been planning this trip for over 10 months.

If the border opens and parks open then I may do my plan on doing a road trip while visiting a bunch of Amusement Parks. It also depends on how others follow rules when parks do open. If not then I will spend a week at my trailer.

We are so excited, have been planning this trip for over 10 months.

Where are you going in Utah? We’ve been to Moab a few times, camped in Arches once (beyond fabulous), and visited SLC and Park City. All gorgeous. We’re heading to St. George for the first time and will spend a day driving through Zion with a picnic lunch. The cornerstone of this trip is staying at The Inn at Entrada, otherwise known as Lava Springs from High School Musical 2. It’s not a hotel, you stay in a casita, a golf course home with a full kitchen, garage, and everything. There may, or may not be, fully choreographed recreated scenes from the film around the property starring my family. Oh, who are we kidding, we’re doing the full-on choreography!

Utah is a National Park paradise! I hope your visit includes a few.

Made the hard decision recently to cancel our summer family trip. Had a VRBO rental that was fully refundable up to May 31. While the area is OK and DH and I could drive, our 3 kids would have to fly long distances and my concern was that if any of them picked up the virus and brought it along, no one would be able to fly home for a while. I know they would feel guilty exposing DH and I to it as we have some underlying conditions. Plus the airlines keep changing flights, cutting flights, it just doesn't seem worth it.

Where are you going in Utah? We’ve been to Moab a few times, camped in Arches once (beyond fabulous), and visited SLC and Park City. All gorgeous. We’re heading to St. George for the first time and will spend a day driving through Zion with a picnic lunch. The cornerstone of this trip is staying at The Inn at Entrada, otherwise known as Lava Springs from High School Musical 2. It’s not a hotel, you stay in a casita, a golf course home with a full kitchen, garage, and everything. There may, or may not be, fully choreographed recreated scenes from the film around the property starring my family. Oh, who are we kidding, we’re doing the full-on choreography!

Utah is a National Park paradise! I hope your visit includes a few.
We are visiting all 5 National Parks, it's a 10 day trip, this is our route.
utah.png

We had started planning a week in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge last year when my then-4th grader did a project on the Great Smokey Mountains. It was going to be in July but we have already been talking about pushing it to August and just watching the state of things to decide whether or not it happens. What Dollywood decides to do will factor heavily in that, but it wouldn't be a dealbreaker. If we decide to skip it this year, we have lots of local options that would still feel like a vacation (we are in MA, so lots to do within driving distance).

That said, we are also in HEAVY 2021 vacation planning mode lol. We want to take the kids to Disneyland over a long school weekend, and a cruise with several friends is in the works for that August. I needed something big to plan and focus on, I wouldn't care if it was two years away lol.

That said, we are also in HEAVY 2021 vacation planning mode lol. We want to take the kids to Disneyland over a long school weekend, and a cruise with several friends is in the works for that August. I needed something big to plan and focus on, I wouldn't care if it was two years away lol.

This is where we are at, too! If we CAN'T go this year, then darn it we are going to enjoy the heck out of going next year.

We don’t usually vacation in the summer since it’s so beautiful in our area at that time. We do have a house rented in August for a week about 2 hours away so we can salmon fish and get on the water early. My MIL lives 3 hours away on an island in the Puget Sound and we’ll go stay with her for a few days and go crabbing. I’m trying to talk DH into renting an RV for a couple of weeks and visiting national parks but we’re building a house and the money is probably better spent on upgrades.

Still planning on doing trips to Florida and Michigan, but now, unfortunately, the Florida trip will be to visit my MIL in the hospital (once FL begins allowing it) instead of a true vacation. She had an aneurysm last week and is now in the ICU. :( Not sure if we'll drive down or fly. Probably drive.

Sorry about your MIL - I hope all turns out well. I've seen some great prices into FL lately if you need to make a quick in and out trip. Good luck to her.

We are visiting all 5 National Parks, it's a 10 day trip, this is our route.
View attachment 495831
That looks awesome! Wish we were closer.

We just booked 3 nights August 27-30 in Wildwood Crest at Adventurer Inn. A graduation trip for DS17. Wildwood's been our family vacation spot with him. It's bittersweet as time marches on. We most often stay at Beau Rivage, never stayed here before. Top left room, can't wait! Early bird gets the worm :)
I think it'll be ok. The shore is set to open.
We're able to practice decent social distancing too, mostly being in our room or right there on the beach. Boardwalk won't be functioning much without the games and rides. The beach and sunrises are plenty for us.

We had started planning a week in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge last year when my then-4th grader did a project on the Great Smokey Mountains. It was going to be in July but we have already been talking about pushing it to August and just watching the state of things to decide whether or not it happens. What Dollywood decides to do will factor heavily in that, but it wouldn't be a dealbreaker. If we decide to skip it this year, we have lots of local options that would still feel like a vacation (we are in MA, so lots to do within driving distance).

Dollywood will be announcing soon (I live within an hour of it), I bet they will be open by July

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter