Do you believe

I listened to a fascinating podcast on the channel Science Vs that looks at data from studies done around essential oils. They concluded that most 'benefits' are due strongly to the placebo effect. You are told this will help and so your brain makes you think that it does. So in relatively harmless situations (wanted to calm down, needing to focus, etc) the perceived effect from the oils can be helpful. But as PPs have mentioned, they shouldn't take the place of prescribed medication and they should only be used safely.

For the umpteenth time I did not go out acd ne go how can I harm my cat

Tink, certain oils can be toxic to cats, you can google what ones and the effects they have.
The oils don't just disappear they do "settle" on things and can get on your cat's fur through the air. The cat then licks their fur, ingesting the oil. They can also harm cats when they inhale them. Some can make your cat sick, some can aggravate their respiratory system. You really should read some info regarding essential oils and cats before you continue using them. I got my dd a diffuser last year for Christmas but we ended up learning about the issue with cats so she never used it and gave it to a friend.

No. I don't need another "thing". Plus I have cats and don't want to use the wrong oil by accident and harm them.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3612440/

The above link is about the benefits of lavender including the smell of it. Not a placebo affect but not the end all and be all either. It is shown to help with certain anxiety but not all. And does help with sleep.

Honestly I have epsom salt bath beads with lavender. I can bathe in that before bed and have the same results. My bathroom door is not far from my bed and if I leave the door open, the smell will drift in. Does the same as the diffuser and safe for my pets.

When I realized how the diffuser my mil had really did make me sleepy, I wanted the smell without using the oils. It works for me.

https://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/blog/essential-oils-cats/

This one tells you what the danger is to cats. It doesn’t specify certain oils but seems to say any of them can be a danger.

I know someone who sells Doterra so have gotten plenty of oils and a couple diffusers as gifts. I wish they actually had the health benefits they claim to have, but no, I don't believe they do. I've tried peppermint oil for headaches and really all it does is make your skin tingly for a few minutes, distracting your senses temporarily from some of the headache pain. I still need my Excedrin, LOL.

The oils do smell nice though, so there's that.

So stick with my medication as well as the lavender oil notice I am sleeping a lot more and a lot more relaxed but sticking to my perception

My opinion is they are a placebo effect.
If you believe then they will work.
Personally I find different perfume oils that I love the scent of and they make me feel calm and happy not because of their properties but because I like the smell.

I agree. Scents are one of the most powerful memories we have, so it's easy to see that one could make you feel calm and sleep better. (I use a certain hand cream before I go to bed, and I definitely think I associate that smell with sleep now.) That's "working" in my opinion, so I guess I believe in them to that extent.

You could also consult your pharmacist. I wouldn't make a special visit to the doctor just about the lavender oil especially if you are just diffusing it.

Yes, calling the pharmacist should be enough.

Tink, IIRC you have a cat.
Please be careful using essential oils with a cat in the house. There are some that are dangerous for them, and with any of them you should not use in a room where your cat spends alot of time.

I got an oil diffuser at a Yankee Swap and haven't used it because I heard the same thing.

I too view them as a placebo effect. Do some actually work? Perhaps, but I'm not going to bet money that they all live up to their claims.

Personally I find most to be smelly and their scents trigger my headaches. Great for when I'm getting a massage, not so much when I'm at the office.

I kind of like them. I'm not using them for any miracle cure - I just like them. I'm not on any meds, healthy and have no cats.

I have to say if I'm ever stuffy taking a few deep breaths of the peppermint oil really clears my sinuses! Love that.

I kind of like them. I'm not using them for any miracle cure - I just like them. I'm not on any meds, healthy and have no cats.

I have to say if I'm ever stuffy taking a few deep breaths of the peppermint oil really clears my sinuses! Love that.

So does horseradish. lol

Do I believe they're a cure all like some people do? Nope! A bunch of hype, but I do use the ones that smell good in my diffuser - makes my house smell good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter