Do you have an electric can opener?

• Total voters
Manual only for us. I remember my parents having one, but we never have. I believe they will not be adopted after the boomer generation.

p222470z_1000x.jpg

We prefer this one.

Not since the 90s. When it died we didn't replace it. I actually have three KitchenAid manual can openers in my kitchen.

I use to always have one until a couple years ago. Ours kept breaking and my husband would fix it but it wouldn’t last long. Finally threw it out and just started using the hand opener. Don’t know why I ever thought I needed an electric one. They’re just a waste of space.

Never had one growing up. My parents had the Swing-Away wall-mount model with long crank, mounted on the side of a cabinet.

Smooth edges are the way to go…
You can put the lids back on for storage and they won’t cut you.
I have the Hamilton Beach smooth edge one too and love it. Ingenious design. The blade cuts from the side of the can instead of the top. Still need it for some canned products...tuna, tomatoes, some soups, etc. We have a manual as well, but DS is left-handed and had trouble with it.

As for pull tabs-hate them. Half the time I have problems removing them fully and have to use a spoon or other makeshift lever to finish the job.
I have this problem too. It’s annoying.

No, we don't. My Mom always had one, but since I've never owned one. We have a Rival manual can opener which works great. I also do not like cans with pull tabs as I sometimes break them off.

No, we don’t have the room for it and very rarely use canned goods anyway. We have the KitchenAid one someone linked to in a previous post and it works great.

I have both, but I use the electric one 99% of the time. I received an extra tall one as some corporate giveaway (can't remember why), and when it died, I realized I wanted to replace it.

We received an electric one from our wedding registry, now 20 years ago. It worked well for the longest time, and somewhere during it's life I had a Pampered Chef party and got their manual one. When the electric one died, I switched to the PC manual one exclusively with no plans to return to electric.

I had an under counter model, for 10 years in our old house, and 14 years in this house. We took it down when we painted the cabinets and got new counters. I do miss using it though, I love it, but it was ugly.

No. We had one mounted under the cupboard at our first house and used it, but I just never replaced it when we moved.

We didn't want to take up counter space with an electric one. Ours is manual and works fine for us. My parents used to have an electric one, but I think they got rid of theirs too. (But I don't cook with nearly as many canned items as my mother did back in the 70s and 80s.)

I like my manual. I did have one back in the day but really never was a fan.

I use one. Hamilton Beach smooth touch. It is not mounted under cabinets, but free standing (I keep it on the lazy susan). It is great cutting with no sharp edges.

Yes, at home. I also have a manual one, but having arthritis in my hands means an electric one is better.

In our RV, I only have a manual one.

I don't understand why don't ALL cans have pull tabs in this and age.
They're convenient and I thought they'd naturally replace the normal cans, which look like relics.
We have manual and electric openers but to me it seems bizarre there are cans without the tabs.
Is it because companies want to save a .02 cents per can by not having the pull tabs?
I don't get it.

Used to, but not anymore. Most canned goods we use have pull tabs, but we use a manual opener for the ones that don’t.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter