Do you think DVC should be a little more open to people moving dates without penalty because of corona?

Yes, if you were actually sick. I doubt being afraid of getting sick would be covered, unless there is a travel warning.
I don't think most policies will cover it even if there IS a travel warning. We had a trip to the Big Island two years ago, where we were to stay very near Kilauea and were looking to change plans to avoid the Big Island, due to vog and my son's asthma. We were told it would not be covered. There was a travel advisory in place.

Right now we are still planning to go but if things change in the next few days, and I can get my points back for another time, I will pay the penalty for flights and reschedule for another date.

I know it's not entirely DVC, but does anyone know what Disney did, if anything, for those with resort bookings and/or tickets purchased for the Asia resorts that are closed?

I am supposed to travel within a couple of weeks and my young teenaged daughter is afraid to travel because she has asthma when she is sick. My points would go into holding and then 60 days out from my end of use year which is October and November. These already have low availability and some dates already gone at our home resort. They are also outside our school breaks. I understand why, but wish this was an option.

Maybe I'm not reading this correctly but it seems like your saying the points have to be used in the 60 days before the end of your UY? If so that is not correct. You can book anytime up until the end of your UY but only 60 days or less in advance. Ie right now if you had points in holding you could book a stay to travel between now and the end of April. Just posting in case I did understand the post correctly.

Thanks for explaining that more clearly. I can only go again for a specific week in a November. Even now, there is no availability on certain dates for the most categories ( AKL) due to the time of year. I doubt anything would be available 60 days out. My use year date is December.

I think it's too early at this stage but it may become necessary, especially if they have to close the parks.

I was a little surprised they closed Tokyo Disneyland with only ~200 cases in Japan (excluding the cruise ship) but I suppose they're being extra careful with the Olympics coming up.

I think it's too early at this stage but it may become necessary, especially if they have to close the parks.

I was a little surprised they closed Tokyo Disneyland with only ~200 cases in Japan (excluding the cruise ship) but I suppose they're being extra careful with the Olympics coming up.

I think that has a lot to do with following the lead of the government closing schools. Wouldn't do any good if everyone decided to vacation instead!

Disney does not own Disney Tokyo (or DinseySea), that is a different entity that is licensed and Disney gets Royalties.. The two parks there are owned and operated by Oriental Land Company, so I do not know what, if any influence Disney had in that decision.

I know it's not entirely DVC, but does anyone know what Disney did, if anything, for those with resort bookings and/or tickets purchased for the Asia resorts that are closed?

The Asian resorts are not owned by Disney. They are licensed by Disney and owned by third parties. So whatever they do is not representative of what a Disney-owned resort might do.

I expect DVC, DIsney, DCL to be more lenient if this becomes a crisis.

We buy good travel insurance and our airfare business class was returned to us when we cancelled our Australia cruise because of the fires and my health concerns. Now with the virus concerns, I am doubly happy we cancelled. The verdict about the cruise refund is still out.

The Asian resorts are not owned by Disney. They are licensed by Disney and owned by third parties. So whatever they do is not representative of what a Disney-owned resort might do.
Disney owns in the neighborhood of 40 something percent of Hong Kong and Shanghai. I am not sure if they are the single largest stake holder in Shanghi. I think the Chinese government owns 50 plus in Hong kong. Tokyo on the other hand is all licensing and royalties(oriental land company is the owner, disney owns zero). There I would imagine they have zero say. The others.... who knows..

I wonder at what point dvc will allow points to be reinstated? Also wondering if I’d be able to tent out my points? Or will that market dry up? Just thinking here. I’m thinking of postponing my June reservation to late August —buy myself a bit of time before the points go to waste.

The compassionate side of me says they should allow you to cancel without penalty. The business side of me says this would be an economic disaster for them if they offered this because some people would lie about it.

On a different note, I have a lot of WLs going, and I am interested to see if any of them fill this weekend. I thought there would be a lot of movement this week in them because of the CDC’s announcement, but there hasn’t been any. In fact, there have been a lot more rooms I’m watching getting booked up rather than note becoming available. 🤷🏻‍♀️

The compassionate side of me says they should allow you to cancel without penalty. The business side of me says this would be an economic disaster for them if they offered this because some people would lie about it.
Its probably a good idea for a business to do what they can for its customers. I don't even think Disney can be flexible here.
It's a math problem. Disney sells 51 weeks of a resort. Maintains 2 percent ownership, etc, etc. Taking an extreme case, say everyone cancels for a month. Unless there is a lot of breakage, how can they make it so all those extra points at usable the following year? It could cause a lot of strain on the system for a year or two.

With a hurricane, it's a short period of time. This could be months!

I'm sure dvc is thinking about what they would do if they have to close the parks for an extended time.

And yes, people will lie.

Unless there are travel restrictions in place I highly doubt Disney will change policy. If they did for Corona Virus they would have to do so every year during flu season. So far over 16000 people have died from the flu far more than from CV. It just isn’t a news story

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter