Do you think DVC should be a little more open to people moving dates without penalty because of corona?

In a piratical sense if DVC did allows short lead time cancellations without penalty, and DVC then had a lot of empty rooms for a significant period times given that DVC runs at near 100% occupancy it would create a situation where there would be a lot more points available to make reservations than rooms to reserve in the out months Can you imagine a lot of points expiring worthless because of this, particularity those owned by members who did not cancel and issues that would create.

This is why I can not see DVC allowing for no penalty cancellations at this level.

We could see a similar situation at a lower level if booking outside the holding period and members banking period drops of significantly later this spring and summer and occupancy drops of significantly say below 90% for 2 or 3 months.

I don't think they can. It will take 6 to 18 months for a pandemic to clear - as an estimate - it was about that long for Spanish Flu and for the flu pandemics in the 1950s and 1960s. There is no guarantee they will have a viable vaccination in a reasonable time - or that in our anti-vax anti-science society enough people will get vaccinated to create enough herd immunity to keep a place like Disney safe. Are they going to waive bookings for 6 to 18 months? How are they going to do that - extend everyone's contracts by six to eighteen months? It isn't feasible for them. Its part of the risk of owning a timeshare.

Until a pandemic is declared or an outbreak in Orlando then DVC won't do anything different to normal. If they are declared then they may make exceptions but as others have said would there then be too many points in the system. Also pandemics last months so that would be a lot of people's points.

If cases continue to increase/spread then you are looking at May/June for the peak before numbers start to come down again. If you don't want to go and currently it is still low risk in Orlando I would look to rent your reservation or the points.

I just don’t think it is a big deal— it is a cold.

For the majority of people they are recovering with no ill effects, Canadian Girls daughter is asthmatic which puts her in a risk group, which potentially means that she could have serious complications from COVID-19.

Until a pandemic is declared or an outbreak in Orlando then DVC won't do anything different to normal. If they are declared then they may make exceptions but as others have said would there then be too many points in the system. Also pandemics last months so that would be a lot of people's points.

If cases continue to increase/spread then you are looking at May/June for the peak before numbers start to come down again. If you don't want to go and currently it is still low risk in Orlando I would look to rent your reservation or the points.

For the majority of people they are recovering with no ill effects, Canadian Girls daughter is asthmatic which puts her in a risk group, which potentially means that she could have serious complications from COVID-19.
I’m looking at renting. If we cancel for April that is what I’ll do while there is still demand. We are booked for June and I’m looking to move that to September. Wondering if we’ll be over the hump by then.

I’m looking at renting. If we cancel for April that is what I’ll do while there is still demand. We are booked for June and I’m looking to move that to September. Wondering if we’ll be over the hump by then.

Where are you staying in June? Also when? If it’s somewhere desirable during the week leading up to 4th of July, you wouldn’t have any problems renting that one out because the rooms have been going like crazy. I’m going then and just keeping an eye on the rooms out of curiosity which is why I know this. ;)

Where are you staying in June? Also when? If it’s somewhere desirable during the week leading up to 4th of July, you wouldn’t have any problems renting that one out because the rooms have been going like crazy. I’m going then and just keeping an eye on the rooms out of curiosity which is why I know this. ;)
June 23-30. OKW grand villa. So you think it’s better to try and rent the reservation rather than cancel and rent the points?

June 23-30. OKW grand villa. So you think it’s better to try and rent the reservation rather than cancel and rent the points?

You cross over a MM night at Epcot for members which is very good. The registration is coming up. If you want the points for another trip, I’d cancel and rebook something else. You could always try to rent it out for a week or so if you’re curious. If you don’t want to bother, I’d just reschedule if that’s the ultimate goal. I know DVC members LOVE the OKW grand villas, but I don’t know about the public at large because everyone seems to be looking for studios when I rent out my points out.

You cross over a MM night at Epcot for members which is very good. The registration is coming up. If you want the points for another trip, I’d cancel and rebook something else. You could always try to rent it out for a week or so if you’re curious. If you don’t want to bother, I’d just reschedule if that’s the ultimate goal. I know DVC members LOVE the OKW grand villas, but I don’t know about the public at large because everyone seems to be looking for studios when I rent out my points out.
My worry with these points is most are borrowed. I need to get rid of them. Once we make our decision about April, I’ll reallocate and move on to June decision making. I’ve rented out quite a few two bedrooms. Never a GV though.

So far this virus has some patterns similar to 1918 If that holds we will see a breakout this spring and then it will tail off in the summer and early fall, but then will come back even stronger approaching and into the winter of 2020-2021

Most people who died from the Spanish Flu did so because there weren’t antibiotics, and they died from bacterial pneumonia. I keep seeing the comparisons because of the mortality rate, but the viruses are completely different. Also, the terrible living conditions around WWI influenced the mortality rate and spread of the Spanish Flu. Here is a good article about it:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20181029-why-the-flu-of-1918-was-so-deadly

Unless there are travel restrictions in place I highly doubt Disney will change policy. If they did for Corona Virus they would have to do so every year during flu season. So far over 16000 people have died from the flu far more than from CV. It just isn’t a news story
I would have to agree with this.

Unless the State of Florida has some kind of ban on certain places I do not see Disney closing their properties in Orlando.

Take a look at France, they have banned any indoor event with 5,000 people or more. Disney has come out and said Disney Paris is Business as usual and is still open.

IMO it will take a lot to completely shut down Disney World. Yes the parks close during a Hurricane but the hotels remain open.

IF, and we don't know yet, but IF this coronavirus responds to weather like other coronavirus strains, Florida in April and through the warmer summer months shouldn't be a problem. I have a June reservation, and at the moment, I'm really not concerned. I'm more worried about being cooped up with strangers in the flying aluminum tube with recirculating air on the way there and back.

While not fully understood, Temperature does not appear to be the primary factor beyond the general impact of excess cold on health. More important is increase in social distancing and natural airflow (higher air exchange rates) in buildings and the suns UV intensity and it disinfecting effect are the top 2 theoretical determiners

While not fully understood, Temperature does not appear to be the primary factor beyond the general impact of excess cold on health. More important is increase in social distancing and natural airflow (higher air exchange rates) in buildings and the suns UV intensity and it disinfecting effect are the top 2 theoretical determiners
I don’t think summer is going to slow it down as much as some people hope if Singapore is an example of what will happen in hot weather. Singapore has took some of the most draconian steps to contain the virus and is still experiencing community transmissions, although at a much slower pace than some other countries. The populations of most of the free world won’t be willing to submit to the restrictions that have been put in place Singapore.

I don’t think summer is going to slow it down as much as some people hope if Singapore is an example of what will happen in hot weather. Singapore has took some of the most draconian steps to contain the virus and is still experiencing community transmissions, although at a much slower pace than some other countries. The populations of most of the free world won’t be willing to submit to the restrictions that have been put in place Singapore.
Singapore is a unique circumstance, so it is hard to use as an example for many reasons, though it may be reasonable model for some larger modern tropical cities.

I do agree that there are some who think it will disappear in the summer, but significant reductions in the spread rate is the best case I see

Last edited:
It seems like each area that gets hit will hunker down until the threat passes and I agree with some posters that it will run its course until a vaccine is introduced. We just rented out some points that we were just sitting on - better to get rid of them as we will get replenished in the fall and can borrow if needed. Our son and DIL are off to Poly on Wednesday and will be cautious, bringing hand sanitizer and wipes. Our son is in medical and realistic and feels there is no reason to overreact at this point. I think Disney will just have to ride it out with us and will follow their current policies but I also believe they have a "plan" for nearly everything - unknown to all of us. It's just wait and see for now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter