Does anyone own DVC with Polynesian as a home resort?

We own at Poly. Love DVC but have never stayed at Poly...... We purchased soon after our Honeymoon and regret buying at a resort that did not have one bedrooms.
We were planning to buy Direct for RIV or VDH and sell our Poly contract but the announcement of Poly 2 has thrown a wrench in our plans.
We eat breakfast at Kona on most trips and love the Poly so we might wait a bit longer for more info on Poly 2.

It will be interesting to see what they decide with towers.

• 2004 SSR opens, 2009 THV added to SSR.
  • 2006 AKV Jambo opens, 2009 Kidani added to AKV.
  • 2000 VWL (now BRV) opens, 2017? CCV opened but became different association for obvious reasons.
  • 2013 VGF opens, 2022 VGF2 added to VGF
  • 2015 PVB opens, 2025? Poly tower addition either becomes part of PVB similar to (SSR, AKV, and VGF additions) or it becomes it's own association.
That is compelling, but they are not under the same leadership.

I think they will use RR as the model - with a slight poly theme applied. It would be expensive to make a hotel of just 1br and 2BR - much cheaper to make 1BR and 2 Br lockoffs with studios. If they are going to add studios they might as well make it its own resort.

Poly owner with direct and resale points. Love it for our family of 3, the studios are huge and dual bathrooms are fantastic. If travelling with more than 4 in your party I'd wait and see how the tower situation shakes out before buying in. Own at BWV as well and usually do split stays, Poly nights MK/AK/some Epcot, BWV Epcot/HS.

Although poly was always my favorite monorail resort before becoming a member and naturally what I leaned towards, one MAJOR low key factor for me was the 5 minutes walk to the TTC's Epcot monorail and ferry boats to MK (I find them much more enjoyable than the monorail during peak times of day). Not having to take 2 monorails to Epcot is a huge advantage in my mind, and the DVC buildings are located right next to the TTC. This is huge for us since our favorite resort BWV expires in 2042 which is roughly when I'll be retiring. While technically GF and BLT can get you to MK and Epcot, Poly is the only one that can get you to both without a transfer.

If you favor MK and Epcot, like the theming, and studios are enough for most of your stays, it is hands down the best resort to own.

I 100% agree with all of this!!

It's like we're twins. I also own at PVB and BWV, focus on the same parks that you mention during split stays, and will probably retire around 2042. :cheer2:

That is compelling, but they are not under the same leadership.

I think they will use RR as the model - with a slight poly theme applied. It would be expensive to make a hotel of just 1br and 2BR - much cheaper to make 1BR and 2 Br lockoffs with studios. If they are going to add studios they might as well make it its own resort.

Wasn't Iger responsible for RIV decision and Chapek responsible for VGF2 decision?
Based on Chapek's new contract, seems likely he will be in charge in 2024 when PVB2 sales expected to start.
Will be interesting to see if Chapek decides he wants to treat Poly differently than the VGF2 expansion.

Makes sense to build GV, 2BRs, and 2BR lockoffs.

My thought is if it's part of existing Poly, it becomes very similar to it's neighbor...VGF association.
VGF1 = GVs, 2BRs, and 2BR lockoffs. VGF2 = studios.
PVB1 = studios, bungalows. PVB2 (if same association) = maybe GVs, dedicated 2BRs, and 2BR lockoffs.

Love the Poly and have added on multiple small contracts via both resale and direct over the past few years. We love split stays and always end our longer trips at the Poly to enjoy the relaxing vibe and wind down. Great pools, great food (poolside poke bowl is a favourite), great drinks, great views, tiki torches at night, large studios, transportation options (love the boat at night), proximity to MK and Epcot - all winners for our family.

We often book two studios side-by-side and have never had a problem getting the request fulfilled. Points are equivalent to booking a 1 bedroom elsewhere in DVC but you don't get the benefit of dedicated laundry or a large kitchen but the benefits listed above outweigh those items for us.

Wasn't Iger responsible for RIV decision and Chapek responsible for VGF2 decision?
Based on Chapek's new contract, seems likely he will be in charge in 2024 when PVB2 sales expected to start.
Will be interesting to see if Chapek decides he wants to treat Poly differently than the VGF2 expansion.

My thought is if it's part of existing Poly, it becomes very similar to it's neighbor...VGF association.
PVB1 = studios, bungalows. PVB2 (if same association) = maybe GVs, dedicated 2BRs, and 2BR lockoffs.

And that is the big question. Does DVD want to continue the long term strategy started with RIV of restrictions or not?

BPK was the opposite as Poly tower. To be it’s own association it would mean selling a resort studio only resort..can’t even compare to PVB because those are deluxe studios with kitchenettes and a split bath.

Do you think it would be selling as well if one was restricted to just those studios at 11 months? I don’t.

Poly tower doesn’t need PVB studios unless they don’t put any in. It can stand on its own as a full fledge resort with its own pool and proposed shopping and dining in it. BPK has none of that.

That is why I think it will be different but if DVD determines it has to have PVB to sell it, even though it can market all room sizes..sans bungalows…they will incorporate it.

The fact that they made TOTWL part of membership extras and the rumor of paid perks program at least indicates they want to make direct different than resale.

At least we may be down to 12 months now to get a decision!!!.

And that is the big question. Does DVD want to continue the long term strategy started with RIV of restrictions or not?

BPK was the opposite as Poly tower. To be it’s own association it would mean selling a resort studio only resort..can’t even compare to PVB because those are deluxe studios with kitchenettes and a split bath.

Do you think it would be selling as well if one was restricted to just those studios at 11 months? I don’t.

Poly tower doesn’t need PVB studios unless they don’t put any in. It can stand on its own as a full fledge resort with its own pool and proposed shopping and dining in it. BPK has none of that.

That is why I think it will be different but if DVD determines it has to have PVB to sell it, even though it can market all room sizes..sans bungalows…they will incorporate it.

The fact that they made TOTWL part of membership extras and the rumor of paid perks program at least indicates they want to make direct different than resale.

At least we may be down to 12 months now to get a decision!!!.
Good point on BPK. If BPK studios created a lesser product, I fell bad for original VGF owners. Sound like it will make original rooms much harder to book.

Wow, didn’t realize tower point sale could start as soon as 12 months. That will go by quickly.

Good point on BPK. If BPK studios created a lesser product, I fell bad for original VGF owners. Sound like it will make original rooms much harder to book.

Wow, didn’t realize tower point sale could start as soon as 12 months. That will go by quickly.

They won’t go on sale in a year..probably 18 months for that but we should have the answer next summer!!!!

PVB owner here, and we love it! The Poly always feels like where we belong. We've stayed elsewhere -- a 2BR at CCV wasn't that many more points than two Poly studios, and the full kitchen is nice. But our usual trip is in January for marathon weekend, for which the Poly location is absolutely ideal, and the 11-month booking window is a must.

(We bought 100 direct when that was the blue card minimum, and 200 + 50 resale thereafter. We bought resale mostly for the AP discounts. lol. Perks not guaranteed, etc.)

It's like we're twins. I also own at PVB and BWV, focus on the same parks that you mention during split stays, and will probably retire around 2042. :cheer2:
Nice to find my long lost Disney brother haha.

I'm all about location, if it takes too much time and effort to get somewhere on my vacation it isn't worth going. AK is the exception because it's just such a great park and at least that's just a drive and a short walk/tram ride. That said, they're also great on resort days.

I really wanted to like Riviera for the extra 30 years... But it's just not the boardwalk and every trip to Riviera I'd be regretting it. At least I'll still have epcot monorail access!

I think decisions for DVC are made way in advance - it is a large corporation, with tons of divisions, and multiple layers of signoff. What we are seeing are modifications to an overall strategic plan. ( like canceling Reflections)

You can't build 2 BR lockoffs without 1 BR and Studios since that is what they are composed of.

If the drawing is correct the pool will not be exclusive to Poly2, but that is not a sign that it will be one association. (look at WL)

If I had to bet, 60/40 it will be a separate association - I don't think restrictions helped/hurt as much as everyone thinks so they may or may not continue. No one considers this option, but they can make it a separate association but not restricted.

DVC has had to significantly jack up the direct price of BLT and SSR to help RR and VGF direct sales (speculation but probably accurate) - that tells me DVC is not happy with the pace but they are not panicked. If they were really in a panic they would have found a way to drop the RR restrictions without saying they are dropping the restrictions ( such as a paid perks program)

2042 is my retirement year as well, and in ROFR on BWV and PVB -

What I do see is when you retire your vacations will change. Right now I think of " weeks off." My retired parents don't think or care about weekends or work weeks - they vacation when they feel like it - really they vacation between doctors' appointments.

So I assume I will change my vacation style when I retire - take more cruses, longer trips and possibly won't care that my BWV contract ended.

I think decisions for DVC are made way in advance - it is a large corporation, with tons of divisions, and multiple layers of signoff. What we are seeing are modifications to an overall strategic plan. ( like canceling Reflections)

You can't build 2 BR lockoffs without 1 BR and Studios since that is what they are composed of.

If the drawing is correct the pool will not be exclusive to Poly2, but that is not a sign that it will be one association. (look at WL)

If I had to bet, 60/40 it will be a separate association - I don't think restrictions helped/hurt as much as everyone thinks so they may or may not continue. No one considers this option, but they can make it a separate association but not restricted.

DVC has had to significantly jack up the direct price of BLT and SSR to help RR and VGF direct sales (speculation but probably accurate) - that tells me DVC is not happy with the pace but they are not panicked. If they were really in a panic they would have found a way to drop the RR restrictions without saying they are dropping the restrictions ( such as a paid perks program)

Just for others, the restrictions and a paid perks program are not the same thing and can’t be treated that way via FL timeshare.

Perks are incidental benefits. They have to be something that is voluntary for owners. It can not in any way be funded by dues.

The restrictions are part of the POS and part of how that resort entered BVTC. They would have to simply end them if they want to change the rules for trading. Doesn’t take much either. Plus part of our dues fund BVTC so that would get tricky to make it part of perks, paid program or not.

When you buy RIV, you sign a specific document that outlines it so no one could say they didn’t know.

A far as pricing increases, this is par for the course for them. They pretty much raise them yearly regardless of sales. SSR was raised last year right about this time.

IMO, I think it’s more telling they let incentives expire last week. It woukd seem to indicate they were content enough to get through summer.

We will see what happens come fall. Parks are busy so they may be able to have decent sales right now.

Last edited:
There is nothing that prevents them from requiring a fee to trade - so a paid perks program is possible.

There is nothing that prevents them from requiring a fee to trade - so a paid perks program is possible.

Trading isnt really a perk in the same sense that most here think of a perk. TOTWL is a perk because it’s part of membership extra.

When you want to use points at other resorts, the are converted from home resort points to DVC vacation points by BVTC, which is what allow us to book. It’s all behind the scenes, but that is how it is defined in the POS.

BVTC can charge a fee to all owners to trade, without it being part of any program. But they can’t charge some and not others. It would be required any time any owner wants to book outside their home resort.

Just trying to help other new buyers understand that how and where you trade your points is part of the DVC resort agreement, where as perks are typically thought of and defined by DVC as what we get via the membership extras program. or the blue card.

Perks can go away, trading into BVTC can not unless the resort is removed and there are pretty strict reasons when that can happen.

ETA. Unless you were referring to DVC allowing people to pay an additional fee to convert restricted resale to be used at all resorts, then yes, they gave themselves the power to do that.

It would still require though them to update the POS to reflect that change.

Last edited:
What happens with maintenance fees in these examples of taking in more maintained area under one association? Do the additional points even that out typically, see a drop with dilution (lol), or see a spike? Does it lower the growth rate with newer aged/refurbed areas?

What happens with maintenance fees in these examples of taking in more maintained area under one association? Do the additional points even that out typically, see a drop with dilution (lol), or see a spike? Does it lower the growth rate with newer aged/refurbed areas?

When DVC is at a hotel, there are shared expenses that are determined by occupancy.

So, right now, things like the pools, etc are paid by both.

When it is a DVC resort like RIV, then eventually all costs are paid by owners.

Now, if this is added to the same association, I believe it could potentially raise dues for current PVB, now all the expenses for the new tower would be part of it so those operational costs would be rolled in. However, there are more points too so any increase could be negligible.

If it’s own association then operational costs for the tower stay with Poly tower. They would then pick up their share of shared expenses.

In that case, you could see a slight reduction because the cost of the monorail is the cost but would be split between three vs two.

I think the big winner could end up being Disney because DVC will now have more rooms at that location so Disneys share may end up less.

We own about half of our points at the Poly. Others are split between OKW and BWV. We’re a family of 7 so we always ask for connecting rooms snd have always gotten them. This is my favorite resort, love the theming, the feel and the restaurants. Love that we can walk to the TTC. Love being able to see the electrical boat pageant from the resort. So happy we get to stay here so often. Only downside is that (besides the bungalows) it’s only studios.

When DVC is at a hotel, there are shared expenses that are determined by occupancy.

So, right now, things like the pools, etc are paid by both.

When it is a DVC resort like RIV, then eventually all costs are paid by owners.

Now, if this is added to the same association, I believe it could potentially raise dues for current PVB, now all the expenses for the new tower would be part of it so those operational costs would be rolled in. However, there are more points too so any increase could be negligible.

If it’s own association then operational costs for the tower stay with Poly tower. They would then pick up their share of shared expenses.

In that case, you could see a slight reduction because the cost of the monorail is the cost but would be split between three vs two.

I think the big winner could end up being Disney because DVC will now have more rooms at that location so Disneys share may end up less.
Thank you for the info. I wasn’t sure what has happened in the past w akc kidani etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter