Does the new Genie+ pay-per-attraction system alter your views on DVC's value?

Why would it change the value? When you purchase the DVC you are purchasing a room at a resort. You DVC contract does not guarentee you a reduced AP or free parties or members cruise. The amount you paid for the DVC is based on the building and operation of the resort and had nothing to do with the parks. We looked at other timeshares in the area before buy and Marriott was $25K DVC in 2004 was $12k. We bought it for the price it was and the flexiblity to book whenever where ever not a fixed week.
While I agree with you about the monetary value, especially compared with other timeshares and I'm well aware that I purchased the ability to stay in a great room onsite. However, I never would have purchased a timeshare just outside Orlando (or maybe anywhere) if not for the proximity to the Disney parks, which I love. So there is more to the value that just the amount I can sell it for. I'm not certain about how these changes to the parks will affect my future vacations, but I don't think you can deny that there is an emotional connection to Disney that just isn't there for your example of the Marriott.

I received a survey request but it wasn't really about DVC, it was whether our stay was a postponed reservation or not. They didn't ask one question about the new AP's or DVC. Which is weird because the trip they were inquiring about was with DVC points, that replaced another DVC stay.

While I agree with you about the monetary value, especially compared with other timeshares and I'm well aware that I purchased the ability to stay in a great room onsite. However, I never would have purchased a timeshare just outside Orlando (or maybe anywhere) if not for the proximity to the Disney parks, which I love. So there is more to the value that just the amount I can sell it for. I'm not certain about how these changes to the parks will affect my future vacations, but I don't think you can deny that there is an emotional connection to Disney that just isn't there for your example of the Marriott.

So very true and why these questions are so individual and no one way to view.

For some, the changes to the parks will be enough for people to make less trips or shorter trips and visit other places.

Then you have people like me who will go, go as often, and find a way to still make it magical but in a different way!!!

What is the National Parks with RCI? After next year, I'd like to focus on National Parks.
I don’t know yet. At this point it’s just a thought. There are different ways I’m considering and I don’t know if there’s actually an RCI near the parks were thinking of.
1) RCI in Vegas and leave for a couple of nights and pay for accommodations near Bryce and Zion then go back to Vegas (Husbands never been and wants to)
2) don’t do Bryce/Zion and do sequoia’s instead. I’m dying to see those trees. This will change plans completely so I have to look into where we would stay and if RCI trades are option.
3) San Fran /Sausalito /Muir Woods. Base in an RCI place.

i do have my week thought out though. Early October next year.

dee

I don’t know yet. At this point it’s just a thought. There are different ways I’m considering and I don’t know if there’s actually an RCI near the parks were thinking of.
1) RCI in Vegas and leave for a couple of nights and pay for accommodations near Bryce and Zion then go back to Vegas (Husbands never been and wants to)
2) don’t do Bryce/Zion and do sequoia’s instead. I’m dying to see those trees. This will change plans completely so I have to look into where we would stay and if RCI trades are option.

dee
If you've never seen the Giant Sequoia or the even taller (but more slender) Coastal Redwoods in Muir Woods, do it. Now.

We just had a weedend run up to Sequoia at the end of the month cancelled due to the closing of all of the National Parks out here, and it's really bummed us out.

dee

Plus in vegas theres always the chance to get your $ back! You could never say that about Disney!

True too! We’re not big gamblers, but we do enjoy a meal and a good show ….

If you've never seen the Giant Sequoia or the even taller (but more slender) Coastal Redwoods in Muir Woods, do it. Now.

We just had a weedend run up to Sequoia at the end of the month cancelled due to the closing of all of the National Parks out here, and it's really bummed us out.
Really hoping by next spring all these closures and uncertainties due to Covid end. What is the best time of year to go? We haven’t been out to the west coast in years.
Thanks
Dee

Really hoping by next spring all these closures and uncertainties due to Covid end. What is the best time of year to go? We haven’t been out to the west coast in years.
Thanks
Dee
Spring is nice, but I prefer September through November. If you're going to Yosemite, Kings Canyon, or Sequoia, then you're talking about the Sierra and later in fall there is always a possibility of snow (to greater or lesser degrees depending on how far north and how high in elevation you are). For Muir Woods, it's right on the coast (you can atually take the road down to Muir Beach) so just about any time of year is going to be pretty good.

Late fall or early spring in the Sierra the bears tend to be less of a nuissance too if you're planning on camping.

Spring is nice, but I prefer September through November. If you're going to Yosemite, Kings Canyon, or Sequoia, then you're talking about the Sierra and later in fall there is always a possibility of snow (to greater or lesser degrees depending on how far north and how high in elevation you are). For Muir Woods, it's right on the coast (you can atually take the road down to Muir Beach) so just about any time of year is going to be pretty good.

Late fall or early spring in the Sierra the bears tend to be less of a nuissance too if you're planning on camping.
Thank you. October 22 should work for us then. No camping.

I was unhappy with the Genie+ announcement, not just because of the additional costs, but especially I feel like this adds uncertainty and anxiety. You don't know you can get the FPs you wanted until 7 am (so have to get up early), and then it might conflict with other plans like ADRs. But you're already a captive audience and paid a lot of money for your DVC points to be at WDW/DL.

DVC is kind of like a commitment to Disney, but with so many perks going away and rapidly increasing costs, I'm questioning the commitment. Does this affect how anyone else feels about DVC? Honestly, my first thought was that maybe it's time to sell our contracts... It feels very sad to write that. Maybe I'll feel differently later on, maybe I just have too much sticker shock or something.

I can get past the loss of Magical Express.
I can get past the rising price of the APs.
I can get past the reservations required and restrictions of the parks.
I can get past the rising maintenance fees.
I can get past the yearly (or two) increases in ticket prices.
I can even get past the yearly increase in Mickey Bars.
I cannot get past eliminating Fast Pass and putting in a system that requires you to pay for a free benefit and on top of that, charge a premium for special rides (two right now at WDW and guarantee several more will be added). This really sets up a system that benefits those more fortunate IMHO. Walt would have never approved.

I can get past the loss of Magical Express.
I can get past the rising price of the APs.
I can get past the reservations required and restrictions of the parks.
I can get past the rising maintenance fees.
I can get past the yearly (or two) increases in ticket prices.
I can even get past the yearly increase in Mickey Bars.
I cannot get past eliminating Fast Pass and putting in a system that requires you to pay for a free benefit and on top of that, charge a premium for special rides (two right now at WDW and guarantee several more will be added). This really sets up a system that benefits those more fortunate IMHO. Walt would have never approved.
Fast Pass system was not free ( neither was magical express or resort parking for those who paid cash) this was all incorporated in either ticket prices or the cost of the hotel room. Disney is a business and they cannot "give" stuff away. You better believe the cost of these " free" items were paid for already.

Fast Pass system was not free ( neither was magical express or resort parking for those who paid cash) this was all incorporated in either ticket prices or the cost of the hotel room. Disney is a business and they cannot "give" stuff away. You better believe the cost of these " free" items were paid for already.
And now that those "free" benefits have been removed, have room prices gone down for 2022? Have ticket prices been adjusted to reflect the loss of FP+ and shorter park hours? Um..NO.

And now that those "free" benefits have been removed, have room prices gone down for 2022? Have ticket prices been adjusted to reflect the loss of FP+ and shorter park hours? Um..NO.
NOPE. Just make sure if you are DVC owner and if you rent a DVC room for cash that they don't charge you for parking. You have already paid for the maintenance of the parking areas with your yearly dues and they can't charge you twice.

NOPE. Just make sure if you are DVC owner and if you rent a DVC room for cash that they don't charge you for parking. You have already paid for the maintenance of the parking areas with your yearly dues and they can't charge you twice.
I guess my point is that they were either free and removed as a benefit or they were paid for via a hidden fee in the room rate or the ticket price.

If they were free benefits, then Disney is now charging for something that used to be gratis. If they were incorporated into the price which was paid, then prices should be reduced accordingly.

Either way, this is a bad. money- grubbing look for Di$ney.

I'd venture to guess a SIGNIFICANT percentage of DVC owners didn't see a penny of stimulus money.
I did, not huge amounts, since I'm single, but I did receive them. And remember, the threshold to receive them was based on ADJUSTED taxable income, not simple gross, so being a landlord, I have a lot of business write-offs, as I assume many other DVCers do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter