Donald's Defiant Dashers 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Ducks,

Still new to these running events.

I've been doing my own "training" / walking for 1 1/2 years.
Now coming into my 3rd Half marathon I am looking into getting a decent basic sport watches.

I think I would like something with a stopwatch, and another feature where I can set it for 1 minute/3 minute for run / walks. Is that what they call "split-time" ?? Maybe a pedometer feature also.

Any suggestions is appreciated. Nothing too fancy.

Thanks,
Colleen

I got an older Garmin 405CX off of e-bay. It's a bit more than what you are looking for, but I managed to snag it for less than $100 shipped and it also has the Heart Rate Monitor.

But I now have a "workout" programmed into the watch that basically says "for 13.5 miles, Run 4 minutes, walk 90 seconds" (I added a little extra mileage in case its' a bit off)

Caution to anyone that does get a Garmin product off of E-bay, make sure the Owner of the watch (or GPS unit for that matter) detaches the serial number from their online account, or else you won't be able to register it under your account and use the online features!!

KippWade said:
I got an older Garmin 405CX off of e-bay. It's a bit more than what you are looking for, but I managed to snag it for less than $100 shipped and it also has the Heart Rate Monitor.

But I now have a "workout" programmed into the watch that basically says "for 13.5 miles, Run 4 minutes, walk 90 seconds" (I added a little extra mileage in case its' a bit off)

Caution to anyone that does get a Garmin product off of E-bay, make sure the Owner of the watch (or GPS unit for that matter) detaches the serial number from their online account, or else you won't be able to register it under your account and use the online features!!

Amazon has the 405CX on sale right now for $129.99 with free shipping. Mine will be delivered next week. After reading the reviews, many have complained about the battery life. I went ahead with it cuz someone seemed to say that no matter which watch it was. What has been your experience with the battery life?

Amazon has the 405CX on sale right now for $129.99 with free shipping. Mine will be delivered next week. After reading the reviews, many have complained about the battery life. I went ahead with it cuz someone seemed to say that no matter which watch it was. What has been your experience with the battery life?

You have to watch it. If it's below 50%, make sure to charge it before your next run, as I have found that once it's hits 50% and you are using GPS it will drain very quickly from 50% to zero. I have also found that it charges better with the wall outlet adapter than using it on USB, it SEEMS to last longer when it is charged by wall outlet.

I have had ONE instance where I have had to do the "hard reset" routine on it in order for it to get a charge reading above 85%.

Play with the bezel sensitivity settings, so you can better control it. I also have it set to "autoscroll" the screens, as I have also experienced that the bezel won't acknowledge touches if your fingers are sweaty.

Download the Training Center program from the Garmin website, as it offers a much more complete and robust workout creation than the website does.

I also picked up a footpod off of e-bay for pretty cheap too. :)

IF I manage to get a new bike next year, I'm also looking at getting the cycling accesories to go with the watch too.

I also have the 405CX and I love it. My wife got it for me for my birthday last year. She didn't want to spend a lot on it because she wasn't sure I'd use it. I'm glad she didn't spend more on one because to be honest, I probably don't use many of the features that this one comes with let alone a higher priced one with even more features. I've not had any issues with batter life. I've done 10 miles with just a little over 50% life remaining and still had sufficient battery life remaining after the run.

I have the Garmin Forerunner 10. I like it. Easy to use, big display, accurate. 129.00 new. Only problem is the battery life is only 4.5 - 5 hrs while using the GPS. So for marathoners it can be problematic. DH has the Garmin 205. I got it from eBay used for about 70.00. It works just fine and has a longer battery life. But it's a bit bulky for me. Stay away from a foot pod system. I have the Nike sport watch and it was horribly inaccurate. Happy shopping!

... DH has the Garmin 205. I got it from eBay used for about 70.00. It works just fine and has a longer battery life. But it's a bit bulky for me. ...

Yeah, reading these posts makes me realize how great my 205 is for battery life. I ran my 22 miler on Sunday (took me almost 5 hrs) and I still had plenty of battery life left!

It is large. When I first got it I thought the large size would bother me. I am a slim person with a small wrist. But it never bothers me at all. I really love my trusty 205. lol :)

I do not run with a watch, so can't help you with this. I sometimes use my phone with the endomondo app (on Joe's recomendation) but I will use it just to track a route. It calls off mile intervals but sometimes i can't hear it. And it drains the battery, at least when I use it biking. I have never run far enough to drain it yet.

If no one needs a park ticket, I will offer it on the marathon thread.

Liz, Joe, and Tanya, guess i will see you at the corner of Vacation way drive at 4:30 or so. I guess I do not really need to check a bag

Hey Ducks! Only a couple more days left in 2012. I'm looking forward to 2013. I always like the fresh start of a new year!

I have stuck with my plan of no running since my 22 miler last Sunday (because my knees bothered me and I wanted to give them a solid rest). I'm going to wait until New Years Day to run again. I bought two Cho-Pat knee sleeves last week from runningwarehouse (I love their fast shipping) and I'll try those out that day. I'm going to baby my knees these next couple weeks by wearing the sleeves on all my runs even if I don't need them!

Hey Ducks! Only a couple more days left in 2012. I'm looking forward to 2013. I always like the fresh start of a new year!

I have stuck with my plan of no running since my 22 miler last Sunday (because my knees bothered me and I wanted to give them a solid rest). I'm going to wait until New Years Day to run again. I bought two Cho-Pat knee sleeves last week from runningwarehouse (I love their fast shipping) and I'll try those out that day. I'm going to baby my knees these next couple weeks by wearing the sleeves on all my runs even if I don't need them!

Yep. Hard to believe it's the end of another year. 11 miler for me this morning (mid 20s when I got up, so I wussed out and got on the TM). The knee is the knee. One day it hurts, the next it doesn't. Weird. Our Galloway group has one last, short training run this Saturday. We'll see. Liz, Hope the sleeves help.

Liz - DH and I have decide to walk over with y'all. Is Vacation club way the street in front of the main house? We are supposed to be in building 19.

Ok, I went back and found the map. Does anyone know if there is an opening by building 19/20 to walk through those trees straight to bonnet creek?

Yep. Hard to believe it's the end of another year. 11 miler for me this morning (mid 20s when I got up, so I wussed out and got on the TM). The knee is the knee. One day it hurts, the next it doesn't. Weird. Our Galloway group has one last, short training run this Saturday. We'll see. Liz, Hope the sleeves help.

Thanks Vic! Good job getting your 11 done. Good knee vibes to you...as always! :goodvibes (Although I don't know that I have any these days! Lol!)

Liz - DH and I have decide to walk over with y'all. Is Vacation club way the street in front of the main house? We are supposed to be in building 19.

Ok, I went back and found the map. Does anyone know if there is an opening by building 19/20 to walk through those trees straight to bonnet creek?

I could be wrong but I don't think there is a way through those trees. When down there this summer we drove past that area because I had the same idea! There is a lot of shrubbery/trees and it did not look like something I wanted to make my way through in the dark hours of the morning... You would need a machete to get through, and who knows what kinds of critters would be around. :eek: I also couldn't tell if there is a swale in there, and you wouldn't want to walk through water/mud.

What I am hoping to do is to walk down that CM access road that starts across from building 17 and hits DVC Way. I also looked at that area this summer and I think it can be done. Once down there next week, scoping out that area is something I'm going to do.

I'm hoping I get a good location for my studio there! I have a one night reservation for the 10th for a regular studio. And then a three night reservation for the 11th, 12th, 13th for a studio near the Hospitality House. What I would love to happen is that they keep me in the same room for all four nights, and put me in one of the buildings near that CM access road...

Oh but YAY for you and your dh joining in the duck walk! :)

Jeni, this link will take you to that skinniest part of the trees/shrubs across from the quiet pool: LINK

You can see how dense it is right there. (Zoom out one click and you'll see where you are.)

Be careful that morning. I think gators like ducks. ;)

Take it easy on that knee Liz. I had some pain last week and found that it actually hurt me more when running with my sleeve on. Try it both ways maybe? My PT always advised not to use it too too much or you become reliant on it. Good luck!

Liz & Vic: Take care of those knees. :thumbsup2

I'm sorry for not posting more. :(
Life has gotten in the way of training (15 miles is my longest run so far. Hoping to do 17 this week)
Calf issues, work issues, school issues...blah-blah-blah...
I've been pretty bummed.

Sending positive thoughts to everyone & we'll see you in 11 days! :cool1:

Aloha everyone!:wave2:
We are back from a fantastic 10 day vacation at Aulani.:beach: I only managed a 3 mile and 6 mile run along the lagoons at the resort area. I did a lot of snorkeling and we did 2 hikes, one up diamond Head and another to a waterfall. Aulani is a spectacular resort, DVC has a absolute gem in Hawaii. I did not want to leave, especially coming home to snow. I haven't been motivated to work out since I have been back, but plan on going for a run tomorrow.
I just checked in online and requested to be near the Hospitality House at OKW.pixiedust: Probably means I will be put in the farthest building from our walk to race start.
Looking forward to the upcoming trip, I will keep an eye out for you at the Expo on Thursday.
Have a Happy New Year!

Joe

Happy 2013 Ducks! :donald:

Be careful that morning. I think gators like ducks. ;)

Take it easy on that knee Liz. I had some pain last week and found that it actually hurt me more when running with my sleeve on. Try it both ways maybe? My PT always advised not to use it too too much or you become reliant on it. Good luck!

Ha, yes I bet they do like ducks, avian or human! :eek: We better waddle together, safety in numbers! Lol

Oh yes, I won't use the knee sleeves longterm. I figure it's ok to baby my knees just for this next week and a half and to get through Goofy. Thank you!

Liz & Vic: Take care of those knees. :thumbsup2

I'm sorry for not posting more. :(
Life has gotten in the way of training (15 miles is my longest run so far. Hoping to do 17 this week)
Calf issues, work issues, school issues...blah-blah-blah...
I've been pretty bummed.

Sending positive thoughts to everyone & we'll see you in 11 days! :cool1:

I'm sure you will make it through Goofy ok though, Karin! The magic of running in WDW will help! :wizard:

Aloha everyone!:wave2:
We are back from a fantastic 10 day vacation at Aulani.:beach: I only managed a 3 mile and 6 mile run along the lagoons at the resort area. I did a lot of snorkeling and we did 2 hikes, one up diamond Head and another to a waterfall. Aulani is a spectacular resort, DVC has a absolute gem in Hawaii. I did not want to leave, especially coming home to snow. I haven't been motivated to work out since I have been back, but plan on going for a run tomorrow.
I just checked in online and requested to be near the Hospitality House at OKW.pixiedust: Probably means I will be put in the farthest building from our walk to race start.
Looking forward to the upcoming trip, I will keep an eye out for you at the Expo on Thursday.
Have a Happy New Year!

Joe

I think it's pretty impressive that you ran at all on your trip. It takes dedication to take time out of a fabulous vacation to get a "chore" done!

I hope you and Debbie get a good location at OKW!

Have a Happy New Year! See you real soon!

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter