Don't Wanna Be "That Guy"

Look ... this experience is going to be housed in a small resort and focus on pretty narrow and specific experience and audience. Nobody's going to force anyone to do anything and I don't feel like there will be much exposure for the average theme park guest ... so it's going to be incredibly easy to ignore.

If Disney struggles to book it, and my guess is that they won't, then rest assured that they'll open it up for some sort of "check it out" experience to let people dip their toe in the water before committing.

I wonder how they will handle cosplay stuff. There are strict rules for costumes in the parks. If they allow costumes at the hotel but don't let guests stay in those costumes to experience Galaxy's Edge, that will kind of be a disconnect in the immersion. And if they do allow costumes at the hotel, don't they risk the same problem as in the parks where people (especially kids) may not be able to tell the guests apart from the CMs? It'll be interesting to see how they manage that.

I wonder how they will handle cosplay stuff. There are strict rules for costumes in the parks. If they allow costumes at the hotel but don't let guests stay in those costumes to experience Galaxy's Edge, that will kind of be a disconnect in the immersion. And if they do allow costumes at the hotel, don't they risk the same problem as in the parks where people (especially kids) may not be able to tell the guests apart from the CMs? It'll be interesting to see how they manage that.
Yeah. I don't there's going to be any way to know that kind of stuff until they actually get the resort up and running. They'll "play test" the thing to death, I'm sure.

Last edited:
I am not a huge fan and don't want immersive hotel 24/7 "on" BUT I know a load of people will *love* that.
I personally am looking forward to see Galaxy's Edge, and will enjoy an immersive experience, but, I *need* to be able to step back and get some calm, and re-balance.
I appreciate the work and skill that goes into the theming and really do love to see and experience that (I have reservations at Oga's, and will enjoy seeing that, and will soak up the theming, but then I will be happy to step back.)
Plus, it's not really star wars to me without Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, CP30, R2D2 etc. I don't know the new characters.

I personally am looking forward to see Galaxy's Edge, and will enjoy an immersive experience, but, I *need* to be able to step back and get some calm, and re-balance.
I can appreciate that. Honestly, it's one of many reasons that we stay offsite. After a day in the parks, we like being able to go back to a quiet and calm condo and kick back in relax, not be crammed into one little hotel room onsite.

Plus, it's not really star wars to me without Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, CP30, R2D2 etc. I don't know the new characters.
I don't know how old you are but I'm the same way (I'm 55). I saw the first of the new movies so I kind of recognize a couple of people but that's not what I think of as Star Wars either. But they did include the Millennium Falcon and Chewbacca is still around so there's some elements of the original trilogy.

I can appreciate that. Honestly, it's one of many reasons that we stay offsite. After a day in the parks, we like being able to go back to a quiet and calm condo and kick back in relax, not be crammed into one little hotel room onsite.

I don't know how old you are but I'm the same way (I'm 55). I saw the first of the new movies so I kind of recognize a couple of people but that's not what I think of as Star Wars either. But they did include the Millennium Falcon and Chewbacca is still around so there's some elements of the original trilogy.
I'm nearly 45, and I am looking forward to see how much of GE works for me!

If you walk into a convention full of nerds right now—not even a Star Wars specific convention—and ask them if they’re interested in being fully immersed in a SW experience for 3 days complete with RP and possibly cosplay, you’d have to beat them off with sticks. I’m one of them and signed up for the emails ASAP.
Yep! I've been a geek for quite awhile (Star Trek conventions lol) and now Comic-cons. Took my girls for first time a couple years ago and now the 17 year old is hooked on the cosplay - her first comic-con she cosplayed as character from Black Butler and got stopped several times for photos. Her Halloween costume was an on pointe Cruella de Ville. It's surprising the range of people who really get into the RP and Cosplay
but “are there enough people who are going to be able to afford the price point Disney will put this at?
This is gonna be the bigger factor. If price is too high many won't go or it will be a once and done.

Incidentally-loved the AC and miss it! Miss PI as a whole - although I enjoy the new Disney springs. But Fireworks "back door" on Thursdays when I was a CP...yeah miss it a lot!

This is something I think some in my family would enjoy. Now if Universal came up with a Potter thing like that-think my middle would sell a kidney to do that :rotfl2: At any rate the first reports should be pretty interesting. And if it is patterned like a cruise then I'd bet you can be as involved (or not) as you want to be.
Pics of the kiddo in her costumes (she scoured costume shops and second hand stores )

Attachments

• IMG_1318 (1).jpg
    IMG_1318 (1).jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4721.JPG
    IMG_4721.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 7

That hotel is a dream come true for loads of true believers and loyal Star Wars fans. It will thrive and be so successful they will be jumping for joy.

Me, no can do. No interest or inclination. I'm so happy for those that will make this a bucket list item and relish every minute of it.

They've been waiting for something like this for a long time. Let them live!!!

I am not a huge fan and don't want immersive hotel 24/7 "on" BUT I know a load of people will *love* that.
I appreciate the work and skill that goes into the theming and really do love to see and experience that (I have reservations at Oga's, and will enjoy seeing that, and will soak up the theming, but then I will be happy to step back.)
Yes, I agree, if I ever go back to WDW, I would like to experience Galaxy's Edge, despite my lack of care about Star Wars. I would be going to see the depth of theming, and to appreciate the Imaginears talent and skill, and I'm sure it would fondly remind me of "old school Disney", which I loved, and miss greatly.

Yep! I've been a geek for quite awhile (Star Trek conventions lol) and now Comic-cons. Took my girls for first time a couple years ago and now the 17 year old is hooked on the cosplay - her first comic-con she cosplayed as character from Black Butler and got stopped several times for photos. Her Halloween costume was an on pointe Cruella de Ville. It's surprising the range of people who really get into the RP and Cosplay
This is gonna be the bigger factor. If price is too high many won't go or it will be a once and done.

Incidentally-loved the AC and miss it! Miss PI as a whole - although I enjoy the new Disney springs. But Fireworks "back door" on Thursdays when I was a CP...yeah miss it a lot!

This is something I think some in my family would enjoy. Now if Universal came up with a Potter thing like that-think my middle would sell a kidney to do that :rotfl2: At any rate the first reports should be pretty interesting. And if it is patterned like a cruise then I'd bet you can be as involved (or not) as you want to be.
Pics of the kiddo in her costumes (she scoured costume shops and second hand stores )
@Monykalyn - Oh yes - LOVED the Fireworks Factory, and going there after a long night fora plate of delicious wings!!! :) And I also seem to remember some type of salad (Firecracker Salad, maybe?) that was pretty killer. But the wings were my things. ::yes::

Last edited:
I would not at this time would want to stay at the hotel for 24/7 total immersion. I had been a Star Wars fan since the 70s---owned comics, trading cards, expanded Star Wars books, action figures, and Leia inspired costumes/hair styles as a kid to young adult hold. I still have the VHS tapes and dvds (still have a working VCR). I was maybe at the same level as Ryno with his Power Ranger fan level. I still enjoy the Star Wars universe.

Last year, I did a solo trip for 3 nights so I limited my time at Galaxy Edge so I would be surprised on a future trip with DH (taking it easy for a year to recover from his heart attack/stent surgery). I got into Oga's with no wait since they were looking to fill spots in the middle of the afternoon. Inside, I did had some fun, but needed more elbow room/space and a seat and it was not available. I splurged on one drink and left after maybe 10-15 minutes. I hope that I enjoy it more the next time and hopefully with DH and/or friends.

I am wating to see what the price point is. That's what's stopping me from getting overly excited. I can't see myself exposing my friends or my sister to this. Some are as big Star Wars fans as me. Most like Star Wars as much as me Most ( My sister) does not. If she doesn't see Han, she's out. It sounds limiting. And when I went to a Star Wars Convention I was cosplaying as "Woman who loves Star Wars but doesn't want to roast or Freeze inside the convention center."

But I think that their price point will be high. It sounds like a Once in a lifetime thing so I think it will be out of my range economically.

There are a fair amount of fans who want to sink very far into the whole experience. For me if I can get into Galaxy Edge every once in awhile I will be happy.

Last edited:
My guess is that the cost alone will be a deterrent for many folks not totally into the idea of that immersive an experience---even the ones who might just tag along with someone who is really into it.

It'd be like me going on a cruise devoted to a hobby that is super important to me, but that DH has zero interest in. I highly doubt he'd ever come along with me. I'd just go with friends instead. :) He may support the hobby but it doesn't mean he wants be dragged along on a 3 day trip devoted to it. I feel the same way about this hotel. If my DH & kids want to experience, they can. I'll go hang at the Beach Club for those days! :D

It'd be like me going on a cruise devoted to a hobby that is super important to me, but that DH has zero interest in. I highly doubt he'd ever come along with me.
That's an interesting analogy. On a "hobby cruise" there are events specifically for the hobbyists but there are also all the normal activities going on so the non-hobby partner could go off and do other things. At the Star Wars hotel, there may not be "normal" stuff at the hotel but the partner could hop a bus and go to any of the parks or Disney Springs, just like any other WDW visit. The difference is in the cost. That non-Star Wars person would be paying the sky high price for something they won't be doing. That's where the difference will come in.

That's an interesting analogy. On a "hobby cruise" there are events specifically for the hobbyists but there are also all the normal activities going on so the non-hobby partner could go off and do other things. At the Star Wars hotel, there may not be "normal" stuff at the hotel but the partner could hop a bus and go to any of the parks or Disney Springs, just like any other WDW visit. The difference is in the cost. That non-Star Wars person would be paying the sky high price for something they won't be doing. That's where the difference will come in.

That's exactly what I was thinking. That the non-interested party is paying extra for things they have no interest in. On any cruise there are already areas you may never use, but then to go with a group of enthusiasts who may have other areas taken over by their seminars, meet and greets, activities, etc. leaves you possibly paying more for the specialty cruise but with less to do if you're not into that hobby.

In both the cruise situation and the SW hotel, DH & I would be very unlikely to make the choice to have the uninterested party tag along. I think opting to go the tag-along route can reduce the enjoyment for the interested party as well, which obviously isn't ideal. We're fine with splitting up now and again for travel/vacation/etc. We still do plenty together and at Disney we'd still have the rest of our trip together. :)

I know when I was still going to WDW every year, and my ex was still living with me, sometimes he'd go to WDW with me, sometimes i'd just go with friends (we still had annual get-togethers with LOTS of folks, so I'd only be as alone as I wanted to be). He only got "into" Disney to the extent he did because of me. We decided to do our WDW travel that way both based on his interest in Disney, and our budget, since he also wanted to go home to Grand Rapids, MI, at least once a year.

So - for us - we did reach a balance, which was comfortable for the both of us. I can definitely see that having to happen for a lot of folks in connection with Galaxy's Edge, but especially the hotel, because of the expected price point. As others have mentioned, I think it's going to keep a lot of people who ARE interested in staying there from being able to, never mind those who just have a passing fancy, or are going to support family or friends in their love. I've spoken to a LOT of people over the years who would LOVE to stay at a monorail hotel, or at Y&BC for Stormalong Bay, but either CAN'T, or WON'T pay that kind of money. And I am presuming the new hotel. will make the prices charged at those place PALE in comparison.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter