• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Double, Double, Toil & Trouble: a Halloween-inspired trip of “two’s” – an October 2016 TR

Monday, October 17th (continued)

14595672_10155140584536416_4050921641969870580_n.jpg

When booking our Pirates Dinner Adventure tickets, we had the option for several different upgrades depending on what specific level of experience we had hoped to achieve. We were able to get the dinner show price down to under $50 per person using a promotion code available online (regular price is $67.95 per person) so we figured we’d go big and add on the top tier upgrade:

The VIP Ship Upgrade - $30.00 plus tax per person

Includes:

· Front Row Boat seating. (VIP tables seat up to 7 guests. If there are more than 7 guests in your party you may be seated in different sections depending on availability)

· Access to the Governors VIP Lounge before the show where guests may enjoy; upgraded & exclusive appetizers, VIP Restroom and Smokers Garden.

· 15% Discount at the gift shop when you show your upgrade sticker.

· Priority access to the main show area.

· Guaranteed interaction with the Pirates during the show (for those who wish)

· Unlimited soda and beer during the main show.

· Two complimentary glasses of champagne or house wine.

· Guaranteed opportunity to board the ship and take pictures with the cast

It was the front row seating that truly reeled us in. That, and the guaranteed interaction during the show (a big perk for my outgoing Steve, not so appealing for quieter me).

14572869_10155140584541416_47519493290668601_n.jpg

We had received an email earlier that day reminding us to arrive at 6 pm for the 7:30 show so that we could take advantage of the full benefits of the VIP Lounge. When we arrived, we were charged an additional $5 to park the car…..rather disappointing, considering the reasonably high cost of the tickets (especially for those who paid full price for admission) and the fact that we were already out an additional $60 plus tax for the VIP upgrade. I know it’s only $5, but still…..it just started things off on a bit of a negative foot.

14925555_10155140584531416_4397838902591409668_n.jpg

14572876_10155140584951416_1695572689283359434_n.jpg

Our tickets were verified at the box office and we were given VIP stickers to wear on our shirts. From there, we were ushered through the main gift shop/bar/gathering area into the completely empty VIP lounge where a lone pirate wench was stationed with a small table of appetizers (both hot and cold) and a pitcher of water. She invited us to partake in the food offerings and poured each of us a cup of H2O. Alcohol, she explained, was an additional cost and available at the bar outside.

14650330_10155140585201416_4624429360507036133_n.jpg

14900613_10155140585156416_4594758544400613281_n.jpg

The appetizers were just…..okay. The mixed fruit was absolutely terrible and was very obviously from a can. That fruit, and their salads (I know Steve tried one with broccoli in it, as well as a second one….perhaps potato?) were both thrown in the garbage. Truly gross. I have no idea what the people in the general reception room were offered, but remember….these were supposed to be “upgraded” appetizers.

14910398_10155140585456416_8658269826252774256_n.jpg

Some of their other options were much more palatable (or at least seemed so given the aftertaste of the aforementioned items). They had meatballs in a beef gravy, various sliced cold meats, some sort of shredded chicken, pita slices, and cubed cheeses. We stuck with those and didn’t have any more “OMG! Spit it Out!” moments.

14907184_10155140585481416_7794473186629745398_n.jpg

By this time, one other couple had wandered their way into the VIP Lounge (definitely not a popular upgrade, obviously) and a small group was gathering in the main reception room. Steve decided he was going to go get us a beverage from the bar to enjoy while we waited to be seated for the show, and that began an almost 40 minute wait for two very small…..and very expensive…..drink. God bless the sole bartender who was working tirelessly to slosh through the backlog, but she was woefully overburdened and grew increasingly behind, yet she kept on shaking and mixing and serving with a smile. While the drinks were good (and quite potent……they were free-poured and she did not scrimp on alcohol content) I am not sure they were worth the $20 with tip and the crazy long wait.

17222_10155140585561416_1728511083414942850_n.jpg

True to the upgrade promise, we were seated before the other general guests and placed in a perfect spot in the front row. It would turn out that not only did we have front-row seats, we were the ONLY ones in our front row: crazy low attendance had the building at maybe 1/10th capacity. At times, it felt as if we had private showing for a school or church group.

14572262_10155140605201416_4854412861779213667_n.jpg

Our vantage point was, of course, excellent and we had a perfect view of the stage (that’s a score for this girl who is short in stature). The seats are graduated, though, so I’m pretty sure the folks behind us could see equally as well as we could, albeit from further back.

14568001_10155140585756416_1195133064047819537_n.jpg

14581314_10155140585856416_6322196373754930757_n.jpg

During the month of October, the show was rethemed from the regular Pirates presentation to a special “Vampirates” production in honour of Halloween. From the website:

Vampirates Halloween Adventure

This Halloween Season

You are invited to join the residents of Treasure Bay

for their annual Halloween Ball. But beware, this

year festivities will be offering something

new for the menu……You!

The evil Vampirate Captain Sebastian the Black

has returned with his crew of undead monsters to take

vengeance on those who have “crossed” him.

You will have to join forces with a band of vampire

hunters on their quest to defeat the bloodthirsty

crew and bring safety and daylight back to the people

of Treasure Bay.

Vampirates

A new and spectacular addition

to our already amazing show!

Can the heroic Benjamin rescue the Princess?

We were seated in the Orange section, and our Vampirate came by while to greet us before the show which I thought was quite nice. He also explained a little about what we would be called upon to do at a specific point in the show, and in true vampire form, gave us a stern warning about what might happen afterward if we messed it up. He was actually quite a cool guy: kept in his character but still somehow came across as rather nice. I couldn’t help but wonder if he found it discouraging to look around and find the crowd so lacking.

14925357_10155140586206416_2898317239781396980_n.jpg

Our “serving wench” ensured we had wine and beer in front of us quite soon after being seated. The show and the meal ran at the same time, so with the lights dimmed and the action commencing on the stage, she brought around salad as the first course and this soup as the next food instalment:

She called it a tortilla soup (which I had never heard of before, but admittedly, I’m not much of a Mexican food connoisseur), and it was overpoweringly tortilla-flavoured. I had a few bites. Steve ate all of his but passed on my left-overs.

Due to the darkness of the room which greatly compromised my photo quality, I didn’t take any photos of the meal itself but both entrees were fine. Not spectacular, but equal to something I would whip up quickly after a day at work: mashed potatoes and gravy, pot roast for Steve/chicken for me, and a vegetable side (green beans in our case). Meals were pre-booked from a small selection when tickets are ordered, and I noticed on the website that they have changed the selections slightly since our visit last fall. Chicken and pot roast are now a combined plate with both items. Portion sizes were ‘enough’ but not huge. While a fine quantity for me, I think Steve could have used a larger serving.

The biggest disappointment was dessert: a small square of plain white cake, no icing, with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream on top and drizzled with a scant amount of Hershey’s chocolate syrup (the kind you would make chocolate milk out of, not ice cream topping). While it tasted okay, it came across as not only underwhelming, but pathetic. They could have done SO MUCH better than that. A couple of fresh chocolate chip cookies would have presented better than that dessert. Steve ate his in 3? maybe 4? bites.

Each table was presented with a gratuity tray when they delivered dessert.

The show itself was definitely the highlight of the experience. The actors were great and they played their parts with enthusiasm. They did their level best to gain crowd excitement and anticipation but the small numbers made that crazy hard. Both Steve and I had entertaining roles within the show when the Vampirates competed against each other in a variety of challenges. It was fun and engaging (though harder than it looked…..I think my arms are still aching from waving that dang massive flag) and really did enhance the whole experience. I also should note that they had a special part of the show were kids could come up on the stage and become honourary pirates, which I thought was great. Those that did so received special certificates and had a cool opportunity to be with the actors right up on the ship, in front of all the guests. I am sure that made some awesome memories for those little ones.

14925390_10155140586841416_6399933263693661056_n.jpg

14724353_10155140587771416_4535883649903113637_n.jpg

After the show, everyone was invited back to the main reception room for more drinking (at your own cost, of course), a chance to meet and take pictures with the actors, and a Pirates Dance Party. They also had a costume contest, which the sole family who dressed up won in every category.

14937219_10155140588336416_4832417428943486030_n.jpg

Again, the characters were what made this experience overall a good one. They were great with the guests in the reception room afterward and you could tell they enjoyed their jobs. We enjoyed the chance to give them all a well-deserved pat on the back for a high-energy, entertaining show.

14572252_10155140588261416_8159584700724895581_n.jpg

14581500_10155140588581416_2785890752759928725_n.jpg

Overall, we enjoyed ourselves and were glad we went: the show was fun, the actors were great, and we absolutely had the best seats in the house. The “energy” would have been much better had there been a greater capacity of guests, but that was no fault of the actors….they very much did the best they could with what they had. Admittedly, though, the food was a disappointment for the overall cost, and we wondered if we would be equally underwhelmed by the meal at Capone’s (our other dinner show of the trip) which was scheduled for the following night. Time would tell!

14907028_10155140588591416_7171365052248814839_n.jpg

A special shout out to "Magee" .... he was FABULOUS:

14606507_10155140588966416_4701608979511241612_n.jpg

We headed back to the resort, miraculously found a parking space 5 buildings away (rather than 10), and enjoyed a soak in the hot tub before heading to bed.

Tomorrow would find us under the sea, rubbing elbows with the rich and famous, and learning how to play roulette from a guy named Snaps :teeth:.

Sucks that the meal was so lackluster. This is what I wanted to do for my birthday, so I'm rather glad we had an emergency and couldn't make it.

P.S. As someone who's worked in a creamery before- there's not such thing as "chocolate sauce for chocolate milk, not ice cream." What you refer to is fudge, which is wholly different than chocolate sauce, yes, but both are used on ice cream.

Hmmm...trying to keep it clean here, so could it be an Anthurium flower???

View attachment 223029

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

We definitely don't have those flowers here in the North :laughing:. But it definitely resembles one :scratchin.

Those are the best things at Olive Garden. I can make spaghetti at home, but just cannot duplicate the yumminess of their salad and breadsticks.

I may have made an inappropriate comment - or two. Hehehehe.

Those breadsticks are my downfall. I could eat the whole basket if I could sneak them by Steve :rotfl:.

Your comments could not have been any more inappropriate than the thoughts running through our heads :bitelip:. I am just glad other people saw what we did :rolleyes1.

Hi Gina! I'm always really late to post on your trip reports, but I always love following along!

Welcome to the U.S.:welcome: from your neighbor to the south!
I'm sure it's hard being away from your son and your mom, but I hope you are enjoying your new adventure!

You have so much fun and goodness already posted! We absolutely love Fort Wilderness, Trail's End and Hoop De Doo! I know you've already taken your next trip, and you may have already thought of alternate routes, but another option to get to FW, is to drive to the Contemporary, park there and take the boat to FW. It drops you right off where all the action is, and much easier than taking the internal bus loop. I know I'm getting ahead of things, but I can't wait to hear how you liked Hoop De Doo.

I also have added Orlando itinerary activities to our trips based off of your trip reports and a few years ago, my DD and I did the Shrek breakfast when we stayed at the Gaylord Palms. I'm so sad to hear they don't offer it any more! It really was one of the best character breakfasts and we've done a ton!

I always love reading your posts about the Halloween parties! You two really are the cutest! I went to the Halloween party on Halloween this past year and even though we've gone before, this year being on the actual date of Halloween was the best!

I look forward to following along! :flower3:

Oh....PS....yes, very funny towel "animal"... I say elephant....that was my first thought when I saw it. But now I can't stop laughing. :rotfl:

Hey, minniebeth! :welcome: back!

A little spoiler on Hoop Dee Doo......Steve has already suggested that we try to add it in to this year's trips (whenever they happen to occur). So.......that gives you a good idea of how it went ;). More details, of course, in the December trip report. I'm trying to move through this report as quick as I can but no matter how much I try, I am a bit of a slowpoke. One of the downfalls of talking too much :blush:.

I have heard that there's a new character meal being offered at the Boardwalk (I think?) starting in April. I am hoping we might be able to give it a try before 2017 draws to a close. That can be the "something new" on one of our vacations if we can snag and ADR.....though I'm sure that will be tough.

Sucks that the meal was so lackluster. This is what I wanted to do for my birthday, so I'm rather glad we had an emergency and couldn't make it.

P.S. As someone who's worked in a creamery before- there's not such thing as "chocolate sauce for chocolate milk, not ice cream." What you refer to is fudge, which is wholly different than chocolate sauce, yes, but both are used on ice cream.

I guess maybe its a regional thing? We don't generally put the thin stuff on ice cream where I lived in Canada (that was for milk....the thick 'fudge' was for ice cream). Of course, I could also be way off on that suspicion....remember, I'm the girl who also had no idea that there was a difference between American and Canadian ketchups!! :p

A bit of a spoiler, maybe, but we have now done 4 dinner shows in Orlando, and they rank as follows:

Capone's & Hoop Dee Doo (tied for #1.....totally different from each other but equally awesome)

Outta Control Dinner Show (#2)

Pirates Dinner Adventure (a distant #3.....a big part because of the food, and another big part because of the expense versus the overall experience)

Have you done either of Capones or HDDR yet? Both of those would be perfect for a birthday trip......next year, I guess, since it sounds like its too late for this year.

Speaking of which, someday I want to go for my birthday too. But mine's at such a crappy time. Middle of November.....blech :sad2:.

We got a crazy amount of compliments from cm's and other guests on our pirate wear! It's going to be hard to top those costumes, but I think the next party .... whenever that turns out to be .... calls for a change. Pirates have served us well for two years but we will have to change it up for the next MNSSHP.
Maybe you can have a look into the Gangster costumes this time since you have moved to the states and they may have different types of stores that you can shop at.
Judy

I guess maybe its a regional thing? We don't generally put the thin stuff on ice cream where I lived in Canada (that was for milk....the thick 'fudge' was for ice cream). Of course, I could also be way off on that suspicion....remember, I'm the girl who also had no idea that there was a difference between American and Canadian ketchups!! :p

A bit of a spoiler, maybe, but we have now done 4 dinner shows in Orlando, and they rank as follows:

Capone's & Hoop Dee Doo (tied for #1.....totally different from each other but equally awesome)

Pirates Dinner Adventure (a distant #3.....a big part because of the food, and another big part because of the expense versus the overall experience)

Have you done either of Capones or HDDR yet? Both of those would be perfect for a birthday trip......next year, I guess, since it sounds like its too late for this year.

Speaking of which, someday I want to go for my birthday too. But mine's at such a crappy time. Middle of November.....blech :sad2:.

I have done the HDDR, but not Capone's. I will be checking groupon for discounts there- fortunately I now live an hour away from Orlando! Unfortunately, I bought a house, and started farming, so now I have no money >< It's a catch-22.

Additionally, since you're thinking of a no-parks trip, have you considered doing a trip other than orlando? There are some seriously cool things around the state.

Pity the food was a let down, the photos aren't showing for me, not sure why? We too did HDDR in December and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I refuse to be drawn on the towel animal picture :rotfl2:

Maybe you can have a look into the Gangster costumes this time since you have moved to the states and they may have different types of stores that you can shop at.
Judy

That's exactly what we are thinking of doing :). What do you think, would I make a good flapper girl? :teeth:

I have done the HDDR, but not Capone's. I will be checking groupon for discounts there- fortunately I now live an hour away from Orlando! Unfortunately, I bought a house, and started farming, so now I have no money >< It's a catch-22.

Additionally, since you're thinking of a no-parks trip, have you considered doing a trip other than orlando? There are some seriously cool things around the state.

I don't think you'll find any groupons for Capones......but they do offer 50% off all tickets if purchased online. And, their VIP upgrade is a much better value: less expensive and more for your money (and completely worth it).

Congrats on the new house and the new farm! How exciting! What are you farming? Livestock or crops? (or maybe both?) Steve grew up on a dairy farm and even though we've been city dwellers for more than 2 decades, I think a little part of him still yearns for country life.

We purchased annual passes for Universal on our Christmas trip so we're covered for parks this year at least. Living in the north we MUST have our two weeks of fun in the Sunshine State :sunny:. Steve gets 5 weeks holidays, though, so we still have lots of time to explore Michigan in addition to our Orlando adventures :thumbsup2. We have already been to Frankenmuth, Ann Arbor and Northville so far (as well as our own community) and this weekend we have an eye on the Toledo Zoo if the weather is favourable. I have never been to Ohio before so that would cross another state of my US bucket list!

Pity the food was a let down, the photos aren't showing for me, not sure why? We too did HDDR in December and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I refuse to be drawn on the towel animal picture :rotfl2:

Oh no! :sad1: I wonder if anyone else is having issues with the photos? (not that some of them are that great.....the dark interior made for some less-than-stellar quality)

As for the towel animal.....c'mon, Samantha, don't be shy ;). What do YOU think it looks like? :scratchin

I don't think you'll find any groupons for Capones......but they do offer 50% off all tickets if purchased online. And, their VIP upgrade is a much better value: less expensive and more for your money (and completely worth it).

Congrats on the new house and the new farm! How exciting! What are you farming? Livestock or crops? (or maybe both?) Steve grew up on a dairy farm and even though we've been city dwellers for more than 2 decades, I think a little part of him still yearns for country life.

We purchased annual passes for Universal on our Christmas trip so we're covered for parks this year at least. Living in the north we MUST have our two weeks of fun in the Sunshine State :sunny:. Steve gets 5 weeks holidays, though, so we still have lots of time to explore Michigan in addition to our Orlando adventures :thumbsup2. We have already been to Frankenmuth, Ann Arbor and Northville so far (as well as our own community) and this weekend we have an eye on the Toledo Zoo if the weather is favourable. I have never been to Ohio before so that would cross another state of my US bucket list!

We're starting a small scale, self sustainable farm, with about half dedicated to a food forest, and the other half split between dairy goats and show chickens. I've been a city dweller my whole life, so this has been a change, even if it is a welcome one. There's just so much stuff I've never even heard of that can grow here, it's awesome.

You should try going to minnesota, too. Mall of America would be right up your alley, and there's an aquarium and indoor amusement park for Steve. There are some world class museums there, as well.

You should try going to minnesota, too. Mall of America would be right up your alley, and there's an aquarium and indoor amusement park for Steve. There are some world class museums there, as well.
OK-show chickens-including silkies?? I want a silkie so bad but not sure they would do well in our colder (well usually colder) climate.
Not to mention-Paul Bunyan and Babe, the Blue Ox :rotfl:. Course Gina is closer to Chicago is closer now too, and that is a really fun city to explore with the aquarium and museums.

See-now I don't have to go to the dinner shows as I live vicariously through Gina's trip reports:flower1:

I think that towel "animal" is missing a few parts...

I'm sorry Gina .. I'm woefully behind. We've been crazy busy . Just wanted you to know I'm reading along and catching up! :)

OK-show chickens-including silkies?? I want a silkie so bad but not sure they would do well in our colder (well usually colder) climate.
Not to mention-Paul Bunyan and Babe, the Blue Ox :rotfl:. Course Gina is closer to Chicago is closer now too, and that is a really fun city to explore with the aquarium and museums.

See-now I don't have to go to the dinner shows as I live vicariously through Gina's trip reports:flower1:

Silkies not so much, because they don't do well in wet climates. Cold, they actually do better than many regular chickens. We actually raise seramas, and orpingtons. Additionally, if you want a hoot, look up "showgirl" silkies, they are a hoot. I want to have them, wet weather be darned!

I am definitely looking forward to your review of the Capone dinner show! If you rank it with HDDR, it must be good!

I had high hopes for the Pirate dinner show and was looking forward to your review of it as well. I think I have read all your trip reports, and this is the ONLY attraction you have reviewed that I have no interest in trying! It's such a great concept too. Maybe they will figure out that they need to offer better food to get visitors, which in turn will make the show more lively...

When only a few show up, you know the show has seen better days. And, to charge for parking, totally a bad taste before even going into the show.

Great pictures though. And yeah, that towel "thing". Umm, not sure.

Go the beginning of October, a DIS meet would be nice. And see, that Universal AP needs to be used. LOL It's an excuse for me to stay more than a couple of days.

We're starting a small scale, self sustainable farm, with about half dedicated to a food forest, and the other half split between dairy goats and show chickens. I've been a city dweller my whole life, so this has been a change, even if it is a welcome one. There's just so much stuff I've never even heard of that can grow here, it's awesome.

I would love to visit the Mall of America someday ::yes::. That's actually a great idea, and one we hadn't considered yet. It's a bit of a hike from here......the better part of a 10 hour drive.....but still doable. Might have to keep that in the back of my mind for this summer or next.

Oh heck, don't let me stop you from giving the dinner shows a try. I am sure there are some that will read my Pirates review and say "what do you mean, they didn't like the food? :confused: ". I was reading a few reviews of Capone's last night on TripAdvisor and seriously wondered if we had been to the same show that they were tearing apart :confused3.

Chicago is definitely a must-do now that we're in SE Michigan. Its a very workable drive and there's so much I want to see there. Navy Pier, the Shedd Aquarium, Lincoln Park Zoo.....oh, I could easily spend a week!

I'm sorry Gina .. I'm woefully behind. We've been crazy busy . Just wanted you to know I'm reading along and catching up! :)

I hope all the stuff that's keeping you busy are good things, and not worrisome or difficult issues. Sending good vibes your way! :goodvibes

I am definitely looking forward to your review of the Capone dinner show! If you rank it with HDDR, it must be good!

I had high hopes for the Pirate dinner show and was looking forward to your review of it as well. I think I have read all your trip reports, and this is the ONLY attraction you have reviewed that I have no interest in trying! It's such a great concept too. Maybe they will figure out that they need to offer better food to get visitors, which in turn will make the show more lively...

They definitely need to reconsider the cost of Pirates in comparison to the other non-theme-park dinner shows in Orlando. The Outta Control Dinner Show, for example, is around $25 per person regular price (and is often found deeply discounted on Groupon) and offers much better....and unlimited...food (even though its just pizza and sides) and includes alcohol. We paid less to park at Pointe Orlando's parking garage for that event, too. Capone's is significantly less expensive, too .... $32.99 per person if you purchase tickets online, and again......unlimited (and MUCH better food), unlimited alcohol, and parking is free. Pirates needs to either improve the overall experience and food or drastically lower the $67.95 price (even at $41, a monthly special offer which is extended regularly, its over-priced for what you get).

I don't mean to suggest we didn't have fun, because we did. But its definitely not a repeatable attraction for us......and that says a lot (we loved Capone's so much, we returned for a second visit on our December trip).

When only a few show up, you know the show has seen better days. And, to charge for parking, totally a bad taste before even going into the show.

Great pictures though. And yeah, that towel "thing". Umm, not sure.

Go the beginning of October, a DIS meet would be nice. And see, that Universal AP needs to be used. LOL It's an excuse for me to stay more than a couple of days.

Steve just got his 2017 vacation dates approved this morning (well, two of his five weeks anyway). We will be in Orlando the first week of May (arriving either the last Saturday or Sunday in April.....booking flights is on my to-do list for the day) and from the 14th or 15th of October to either the 21st or 22nd (haven't decided yet if we will go from the Saturday-to-Saturday or Sunday-to-Sunday). Will you still be there by then?

Steve just got his 2017 vacation dates approved this morning (well, two of his five weeks anyway). We will be in Orlando the first week of May (arriving either the last Saturday or Sunday in April.....booking flights is on my to-do list for the day) and from the 14th or 15th of October to either the 21st or 22nd (haven't decided yet if we will go from the Saturday-to-Saturday or Sunday-to-Sunday).

As I think I've mentioned, we are planning another Universal weekend trip 28-30 April. If you guys do arrive that Saturday, maybe we could arrange a meet for dinner, or even for breakfast the next morning. If not, I'm sure there will be future opportunities! Since we bought APs, and since Volcano Bay is opening later this year, we will definitely be making more trips!

ETA: I just read a thread on the Universal board about something called the Grad Bash happening that last weekend in April. Apparently the parks close early for the event. I'm going to have to look into that and see if it affects our plans...

Last edited:
I am sneaking a read while at work, and I just busted out a laugh! I had to cover it up with a cough and a quick trip to the rest room! That will teach me to read these while working! I feel it should have been a swan but because they only make them on rare occasion for special VIP guests they are out of practice and the neck didn't stay put. That's what I'm going with! :-)

As I think I've mentioned, we are planning another Universal weekend trip 28-30 April. If you guys do arrive that Saturday, maybe we could arrange a meet for dinner, or even for breakfast the next morning. If not, I'm sure there will be future opportunities! Since we bought APs, and since Volcano Bay is opening later this year, we will definitely be making more trips!

ETA: I just read a thread on the Universal board about something called the Grad Bash happening that last weekend in April. Apparently the parks close early for the event. I'm going to have to look into that and see if it affects our plans...

Hmmm....that is good to know! We'll maybe have to consider making the weekdays our primary park days and use those first couple of weekend days as resort days (or for other activities) :thumbsup2. Steve is already vying for another visit to Capone's so those early closure days would be the perfect opportunity.

We are ABSOLUTELY up for a Dismeet dinner or breakfast! We plan to dine at Toothsome in May, and also hope to get to the NBC Sports Grill (which will be a new one for us). And Margaritaville too! We'd also be in for a breakfast if that works better for you. I will confirm our dates soon and we can start making plans.

Anyone else happen to be planning for that same time period??

I am sneaking a read while at work, and I just busted out a laugh! I had to cover it up with a cough and a quick trip to the rest room! That will teach me to read these while working! I feel it should have been a swan but because they only make them on rare occasion for special VIP guests they are out of practice and the neck didn't stay put. That's what I'm going with! :-)

60218254.jpg

:rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:

Additionally, if you want a hoot, look up "showgirl" silkies, they are a hoot.
Not hijack Gina's thread - but they are cute!!

Capone's is significantly less expensive, too .... $32.99 per person if you purchase tickets online, and again......unlimited (and MUCH better food), unlimited alcohol, and parking is free.
This really would be the only show I think would interest us!

Tuesday, October 18th

Today’s schedule was very similar to yesterday’s: some time at the Orlando Eye complex (taking in the balance of the entitlements on our 3-attraction pass) and a dinner show at night. It was another relaxing day with no real deadlines to adhere to, aside from our evening commitment, so we were able to sleep in (wahoo! I think we made it until 7 am! :banana:) and enjoy coffee and breakfast at the villa before showering and heading out into the sunshine en route to I-Drive :drive:.

We arrived at I-Drive 360 just shortly after 10 am. The parking garage was still virtually empty so we were able to get a great spot conveniently close to the garage exit. Heading into the Eye complex, we had our choice to start with either Sea Life Aquarium or Madame Tussaud’s Wax Musuem: we opted for this attraction first:

14915409_10155139565261416_8995668881722419060_n.jpg

It looked virtually deserted as we entered, which I’m not ashamed to say we were thrilled about :cool1:. Our other only visit to this attraction was at Christmas 2015, and it was filled with young families with active children: that definitely impacted our ability to get up close to some of the exhibits or spend as much time as we would have liked enjoying some of the wonderful aquatic displays.

14732240_10155139569616416_5926212544559042729_n.jpg

We entered the initial “blue room” for the short welcome video, and aside from one other young couple, we had the theater to ourselves. This room had been shoulder-to-shoulder on our previous visit, and it was hard to hear the audio over the chatter from the crowd. This time, we could enjoy the presentation to the fullest and it was a nice way to kick things off.

14907677_10155139565461416_5278708233066137281_n.jpg

Inside the exhibit, we roamed about freely and barely saw another person aside from the staff members stationed at various places throughout the aquarium. This time, we were able to take tons of photos and try out some of the interactive areas that were clogged with people on the Christmas visit. We commented more than once that it felt like we had a private rental.

14915188_10155139566016416_877728076975206818_n.jpg

The Sea Life exhibits are very well done. They have maintained the attraction wonderfully since it opened in May of 2016, and the staff are knowledgeable and friendly. We stopped to chat with some of them along the way (and in the quietness of the morning, I think they were grateful for that) and they offered up some interesting little tidbits about the sea creatures featured in their specific area .

14925550_10155139566341416_2738515873685943150_n.jpg

14907039_10155139566576416_5428221335223848564_n.jpg

14563429_10155139566601416_4545341384785228770_n.jpg

14907170_10155139568036416_5143794767533955899_n.jpg

I adore the turtle exhibit. I have always wanted a turtle as a pet. They just seem so gentle and not icky (I know they’re reptiles, but they don’t have the same ick factor as snakes or other creepy crawlies). Someday, I’m going to get a small aquarium and a tiny turtle and realize that dream :).

14632920_10155139569021416_762999665353940791_n.jpg

14695490_10155139569131416_7870365398586763122_n.jpg

14925303_10155139569151416_1536918546728818211_n.jpg

I also like the way they’ve done the stingray pool. Beautiful.

14900434_10155139570851416_1854080649857337382_n.jpg

The 360 degree tunnel is super cool. A friendly staffer stopped us and offered to take our photo, which we happily accepted. It is one of those places you can't decide where to look first....up, down, or to the sides? There's something happening all around you.

14639886_10155139570056416_7442146790525460664_n.jpg

14915399_10155139570046416_4973454921540554919_n.jpg

One of the many conservation messages that are woven throughout the attraction.

14570230_10155139570256416_3884377378690105053_n.jpg

14910407_10155139570271416_5528987490804574410_n.jpg

14910563_10155139571041416_2877083504110698083_n.jpg

With the absence of any crowds, we were able to see some of the features of this attraction that we somehow completely missed the last time. We had no idea they had a children’s play area …. But it looks like great fun for little ones. We filed that little tidbit away for when we’re promoted to Nana and Poppa status and we’re traveling with the grandbaby sometime way off in the future.

14732119_10155139571196416_472120799583600427_n.jpg

One of the highlights of the visit, however, was the coastal rockpool. This is the touch area where you have the opportunity to reach right in and be hands-on with a variety of sea life. Much like the balance of the attraction, we had the whole place to ourselves…..and the comical fellow who was running this specific exhibit was both knowledgeable *and* good for more than one or two laughs. We spent a nice, relaxing time here checking out all the various creatures without being rushed.

14572259_10155139572456416_7132276007167510484_n.jpg

14907002_10155139572386416_3237625982314207617_n.jpg

14732297_10155139572311416_6777863964360484013_n.jpg

14563427_10155139571641416_5381434631456450594_n.jpg

14591877_10155139571976416_2422770411439802617_n.jpg

14639762_10155139572021416_6698519748699553087_n.jpg

And....the hands-off area.

14717073_10155139572281416_3560971245802358190_n.jpg

We did end up purchasing the digital photo package from Sea Life, as it was the only one of the three Merlin attractions that we didn’t purchase the professional photos from on our previous visit (Steve wore the wrong colour again on that trip, and his body disappeared when the “magic” was added). This package provided a few different shots on a variety of sea-themed backgrounds. Here are a couple of our favourites.

14639635_10155139622181416_902570781801164354_n.jpg

14479511_10155139622616416_4502964647062737227_n.jpg

While we hadn’t really planned for a repeat Sea Life visit after our first experience at this attraction in December 2015, it turned out to be so wonderful that we found ourselves back there again, especially on this specific day where we could fully enjoy the exhibits in such an unrushed, quiet, relaxing way. We got to see so much more, and be able to appreciate all the little touches that we missed the first time when the facility was so much busier. This was exactly the pace we had hoped to achieve on vacation :thumbsup2.

14721465_10155139568876416_5886822949789630242_n.jpg

14572973_10155139568151416_1247054469036378914_n.jpg

14915258_10155139568296416_5112089015479896098_n.jpg

14595815_10155139569381416_1458986665241041425_n.jpg

14907643_10155139569841416_4269034964579074826_n.jpg

14611119_10155139571271416_4572917663601080889_n.jpg

We didn’t have far to go for our next item on the morning’s itinerary. The next attraction was conveniently located right across the concourse.

Up next, we’re rubbing (wax) elbows with the biggest names in Hollywood.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter