Double, Double, Toil & Trouble: a Halloween-inspired trip of “two’s” – an October 2016 TR

Steve wants to go back to the Skeletons Museum at the Eye complex in May. We visited it once during the first few weeks it was open, and they were still putting the finishing touches on some of the exhibits. Since we've done the Eye 3 times, Sea Life twice, and Tussauds twice, Skeletons would be our next repeat. We might try and combine that with a meal at either the Shake Shack or Sugar Factory :).

They're always going to local rock and mineral shows in the area, and they offer up for sale some very interesting items- human bone. I bought a finger bone from them- (because how odd is it to have something like that?) They also often have coupons there. I might have a few spare, I'll check later for you.

And the time passed quickly looking around their candy shop!

Steve is hilarious in those Madame Tussaud's photos!

That candy shop cost me big $$$ for a tiny box of malt balls at Christmas time. I wanted to bring Jake home something special and couldn't see the teeny tiny prices on the bottoms of the boxes. I figured heck, how much could it be? OMG, I almost fainted at the register :faint:. $12.95 for a one-serving snack, plus tax, plus 35% exchange for us Canucks. They were tasty (thank goodness) but definitely pricey!!

Still reading along!! I can't find the original post but it sounds like you've planned a May trip while I've been missing:thumbsup2.
Funnily enough we decided to cancel our May trip to Universal last night. We are all absolutely fine with the decision (made easier by the fact that we just spent a week there in October.) We just kept robbing from the big August Disney trip budget to pad the May trip to Universal (which was planned on a whim because we had enough points for free flights into FLL). Nobody was over the top excited, so we are planning a bigger, badder Disney trip and we'll go over to Volcano Bay while we are there. We're still going to take the time off and spend 4 or 5 days at the cottage for the May long weekend. Win/Win.
We just couldn't make it work the way we want with the exchange rate and I feel relieved to not be worrying about the rising cost anymore.

Your Tussaud's pictures are awesome! I also don't feel the need to go anymore because there are so many pictures I feel like I've been there:rotfl:.
I plan to go back and do a more thorough read of your updates once I finish packing and cleaning for this weekends basketball tournament :).

Yes, we finally got some vacation dates approved and we'll be there from April 28th to May 6th. Our anniversary is the 1st of May so this means we can celebrate with a fun little getaway in the south. We have found a great pet-sitting company who will look after the kittens so I think we can go and not worry TOO much.

Sorry to hear your spring getaway got shelved, but I can totally appreciate that the low Canadian dollar is just a real budget buster :sad2:. Adding 35% (or more) to every vacation expense is hard to justify. I think its a smart move to enhance your other trips and make them spectacular instead. Hopefully May will be good weather at home and you can enjoy some local fun at a much lower cost.

Love the pictures. Steve still looks mad on the airboat ride, he looks like he should have growled at the man on the entrance to let you through without any further ado! Will Smith looks so good too, that picture has caught him just right :thumbsup2

Steve is a pretty quiet fellow when things go awry. He usually just smolders internally while I hash things out. But he was wholly irritated that the young Tussaud's agent made it appear like we were trying to do something illegal or immoral by redeeming that previously unused ticket.....especially when we had no problems entering either the Eye or Sea Life.

We did the Wax Museum in 2015 as well. It doesn't look like much has changed but fun to still walk thru! Glad to see that Shelly was still there! I think that was my oldest son's favorite as well!

No, not much had changed since our last visit either. I believe the Royal Family was gone (I think it was a soccer display instead) but otherwise, it was pretty consistent. I think that President Trump has been installed in the Oval Office room, though. I wonder if they kept Obama in the museum somewhere still?

They're always going to local rock and mineral shows in the area, and they offer up for sale some very interesting items- human bone. I bought a finger bone from them- (because how odd is it to have something like that?) They also often have coupons there. I might have a few spare, I'll check later for you.

That is so sweet of you! :goodvibes Thank you for being so kind.

I am watching Groupon as well......especially when I can use a discount code on top of the Groupon price. Add in my Ebates cashback and it becomes cheap cheap!

Now, I hope you don't think I'm being nosy, but.....what does one do with a finger bone from Skeletons? Make a keychain or put it on your coffee table as a conversation starter?

That is so sweet of you! :goodvibes Thank you for being so kind.

I am watching Groupon as well......especially when I can use a discount code on top of the Groupon price. Add in my Ebates cashback and it becomes cheap cheap!

Now, I hope you don't think I'm being nosy, but.....what does one do with a finger bone from Skeletons? Make a keychain or put it on your coffee table as a conversation starter?

I have a large collection of rocks and minerals in display cases, if I ever get them set up after the move, it'll go in there. It was just so shocking to walk into this rinky dinky little fossil show and see this booth with honest to goodness human bone in it. Apparently they're considered "fossils" not "human bone" because they were medical school skeletons from the turn of the century.

That is one of my favourite pictures of Steve on this visit to Tussaud’s. He’s such a funny guy sometimes. No inhibitions whatsoever!!

I have to say, Steve has some snazzy dance moves and an impressive high kick!!

Yes, we finally got some vacation dates approved and we'll be there from April 28th to May 6th.

That's fantastic - I see another PTR report in your future!

I have a large collection of rocks and minerals in display cases, if I ever get them set up after the move, it'll go in there. It was just so shocking to walk into this rinky dinky little fossil show and see this booth with honest to goodness human bone in it. Apparently they're considered "fossils" not "human bone" because they were medical school skeletons from the turn of the century.
Again-not to hijack Gina's thread- Skeletons has rock and mineral shows? Oh dear-my DD is going to do a DCP in the fall and and she is a total rock geek (she's actually in college studying to be geologist-and took her "favorite" rocks with her. Who travels with rocks, much less "favorite" rocks?? LOL)

Again-not to hijack Gina's thread- Skeletons has rock and mineral shows? Oh dear-my DD is going to do a DCP in the fall and and she is a total rock geek (she's actually in college studying to be geologist-and took her "favorite" rocks with her. Who travels with rocks, much less "favorite" rocks?? LOL)

I apparently am an interesting sideshow in this trip report lol >< And, no, skeletons doesn't have rock and mineral shows, but Orlando proper does, and they (skeletons) have a booth there. But either way, she could go if she was in town! There is also a state park where you can hunt for fossils. You do need a license to do it, I believe it's 5 dollars, but it's good all year. I would suggest to her to become a member of the central florida mineral and gem society when she gets here. They hold some cool events, I believe there is one in April, and have classes, but their focus is mostly gems and gem cutting. Florida Fossil hunters is another decent group in this area. That's where I got the bone from, they have an event in september, though it is mostly dedicated to rocks and minerals rather than fossils.

We went to Skeletons in November 2016. It was a real surprise at how professionally the exhibits were made. The folks were very friendly and informative. My 10 year old liked the scavenger hunt. It was a Groupon deal then.

I love Big Bang Theory as well, I can watch Sheldon over and over! He is so funny. Very realistic wax figures. I was at the one in LA many years ago it was fun!

I would suggest to her to become a member of the central florida mineral and gem society when she gets here.
I will tell her-thanks!!

Love me some Big Bang too! Although Life In Pieces has kind of taken over the top spot a bit for me. This season of BBT is better but the previous 2 were just ok for me.

Very cool. I always learn something interesting from my readers when I write these trip reports....everything from the differences in ketchup to the bacteria levels of hotel jetted tubs to having chickens as house pets. Now, I can add fossil and bone knowledge to that list. Who said the internet can't make you smarter? :rotfl:

I have to say, Steve has some snazzy dance moves and an impressive high kick!!

That's fantastic - I see another PTR report in your future!

Yep, for a big guy, he's pretty agile!! :rotfl2:

I was searching for flights for April/May last night, and OMG.....prices are HORRIBLE :scared:. I am debating if we should even go. Steve doesn't give a hoot about the cost but I'm having a really tough time with it. It just seems so incredibly excessive. I miss being able to fly from Buffalo already.

Does your DD know where she'll be living yet? I was curious as to whether it will be the Vista Way community right next to the Vistana.

We went to Skeletons in November 2016. It was a real surprise at how professionally the exhibits were made. The folks were very friendly and informative. My 10 year old liked the scavenger hunt. It was a Groupon deal then.

I find it is on groupon pretty much all the time now. As soon as I confirm whether or not we're keeping our April/May booking, I'll be buying this:

https://www.groupon.com/deals/skeletons-animals-unveiled

I love Big Bang Theory as well, I can watch Sheldon over and over! He is so funny. Very realistic wax figures. I was at the one in LA many years ago it was fun!

There's a Tussaud's in Niagara Falls that we have been to several times (a very old Tussaud's....while in a different location now than it was originally, it has been in the Clifton Hill tourist area since at least 1993, as we went there on our honeymoon) but its nowhere close to the quality of the Orlando museum. I hope they invest in the NF location soon, as the characters there are painfully out of date.

I will tell her-thanks!!

Love me some Big Bang too! Although Life In Pieces has kind of taken over the top spot a bit for me. This season of BBT is better but the previous 2 were just ok for me.

Hmmm....never hear of Life in Pieces :scratchin. What night does it air?

Ok does anyone else want some more details on this????

Have a great trip @dancin Disney style! I'm counting on you to warm it up for us - we get there on the 16th!
So currently "adulting" consists of work, work, work, managing issues at work, preping work for my absence, work, work and work. Whenever I'm going on vacation I end up with stupid things popping up that need my attention immediately and it's worse this time around because I've taken over 90% ownership of the company. Therefore 90% of the problems.

Sorry that wasn't up to my usual fun standards. It's certainly didn't entertain me either. On a better note.....only 3 more days to go. party:

I'll be back in Buffalo on the 16th but will promise to get FL ready for your arrival.

So currently "adulting" consists of work, work, work, managing issues at work, preping work for my absence, work, work and work. Whenever I'm going on vacation I end up with stupid things popping up that need my attention immediately and it's worse this time around because I've taken over 90% ownership of the company. Therefore 90% of the problems.

Sorry that wasn't up to my usual fun standards. It's certainly didn't entertain me either. On a better note.....only 3 more days to go. party:

I'll be back in Buffalo on the 16th but will promise to get FL ready for your arrival.

Anyone else picturing our friend @dancin Disney style doing this in 72 hours?

70e733d0acda75800e86d80ec73c533c.jpg

Tuesday, October 18th (continued)

We have a few restaurants in Orlando that we LOVE to visit on our Florida vacations because the value beats anything we have at home by a country mile. Not only is the price vastly superior, but the food quality is great as well. One of those places is Steak & Shake…..and since Steve was feelin’ like a burger for lunch (of course, he’s pretty much ALWAYS feeling like a burger, regardless of the day or time!! :lmao:) that’s where we headed on our way back to the resort.

It wasn’t very busy when we arrived so we had no wait to be seated. We decided to throw dietary caution to the wind (not such an abnormal thing for us :rolleyes1) and start the meal off with an order of onion rings.

14956029_10155156396261416_1359649450452660440_n.jpg

Not to speak ill of Red Robin, but I prefer this style of onion ring to the large, thick-cut style with the crumbly coating. Ditto for Steve. These were right-out-of-the-fryer hot and absolutely delish. Our only complaint was that we had to share them with each other :p.

For burgers, I chose my trusty standby (and old favourite): the triple steakburger. No cheese, ketchup only, with an upgrade to parmesan garlic fries. How they can sell this for $3.99 and still make a profit, I have no idea :confused3.

14938248_10155156394646416_7003252352783219860_n.jpg

I’m not sure which specific steakburger Steve selected, but it not only featured one of their signature all-beef patties, but also bacon and a fried hot dog frank. I believe it was some sort of meat-lovers option? He also added cheese sauce to his fries for a tiny extra fee.

14732301_10155156395896416_2222041593786401093_n.jpg

And of course, no visit to Steak & Shake is complete without one of their signature milkshakes: Steve picked his customary standby (Orange Freeze) while I selected one I had never tried before, the Salted Caramel Pretzel :love:.

14907221_10155156394276416_6686802061887973660_n.jpg

As always, they didn’t disappoint. Sinfully delicious and shockingly huge. This is what vacation is all about :cloud9:.

14925616_10155156394421416_1986584686761139488_n.jpg

Thank God calories don't count on vacation :o.

We popped into Target on the way back to Cypress Palms (needing some time to walk off all that ice cream) and then headed back for a siesta at the resort. It would be a later evening at Capones, and we wanted to be rested and ready.

Coming up next: a little singing, a little dancing, a little gambling, and a little (okay, maybe a lot :blush:) of drinking :drinking1.

14563436_10155140163176416_3656163431884051949_n.jpg

Yeah that's the part of "adulting" I don't like and is boring! Same here - the before vacation prepping at work is really busy and there always seems to be a few last minute emergencies!
I'm sure once you get to FL, your usual fun standards will return in full force!

Life in Pieces is on Thursdays (CBS). I think I've had at least one stint of laughing so hard I'm crying nearly every episode.

The DCP kid isn't sure where she's rooming yet-she is requesting the newer places (think Chatham is her 1st choice?). She said Vista Way had too much reputation as a party place LOL! Vista Way is getting remodeled now though...

So.....do share the details of your trip! Which parks do you plan to visit? What ADR's have you made? You know we expect a photo or two while you're there, right?
Details, details......right now I should be packing or something much more productive but I feel the need to share my itinerary with you. Priorities!

As usual I use my Airmiles for park tickets and normally go for the 3 day passes. This year they only offered a 5 or 7 day but it did reflect the 25% off Canadian offer so we have 5 day passes. We have planned 2 full days at MK, 1 full day at Epcot and then an evening at DHS and an evening at AK. We may or may not ditch one of those evenings but you will have to stay tuned to see how things play out. I hate to waste the tickets but we do want plenty of down time hanging out at the pool too. Our first two days in FL will be shopping days. I've got a car reserved and we will be going to our favourite places but also trying to find a Prom dress. The next day is our Epcot day and we will be arriving there around 11am-ish to get in a few rides before heading to WS for the Flower & Wine festival (yes, it's actually the Flower & Garden but there is nearly as much food and drink as at the Food & Wine festival). I'm hoping we can hang on until Illuminations because it's been a while since we watched it. Last year we faded and could go no further about an hour before the show started. So we will try again this year. After Epcot we have a full day at the pool. Then on the Sunday it's DD's birthday and we will spend the entire day at MK (her request). I've got a surprise lunch booked at BoG. Now, two days ago she tells me she wants a special dinner. UGGG! At this late date there is very little available that 1, fits our plans and 2, fits her palate. I managed to snag a 7pm at Kona but will continue to see if something inside MK opens up. I had planned to order a fancy cake from the cake hotline but now with her wanting a TS dinner the cake is a no.

After her birthday we have the 2 evenings planned at DHS and AK. Those days we will be sleeping in and hanging out at the pool until around 2-3pm. Then off to the parks. Which then brings us to our last day which after we check out of POP will be spent at MK. We did this last year and it was a fun way to spend the day but it did make it so much more sad to go home when you leave MK and go catch the DME rather than have that buffer time to pack up and sleep in your Disney bed one last night. Anyway, we have a 9:30pm flight back to BUF so we will drop our bags at RAC around 8:30am and then have until 3:30-4pm to spend in MK.

I will absolutely be checking in here often while I'm away. The kidlet does not like to get up early and for some ridiculous reason I end up waking up earlier than I normally would. So it's the perfect time to visit here. Besides, I could not resist the opportunity to taunt you all with photos.:stir:

Anyone else picturing our friend @dancin Disney style doing this in 72 hours?

70e733d0acda75800e86d80ec73c533c.jpg
Oh yes, many times I have left like that but this time it's probably going to be like this......
freaked.jpg
I have to go in on Tuesday morning before we go to the airport. I have to leave by 11am to get to BUF for a 3pm flight. I NEVER leave work on time. Did I mention I NEVER leave work on time?

BTW, @Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina your cat picture is probably how your stroll around the house since you have retired.
AND....no Kenny at Steak N Shake?

Last edited:
I was searching for flights for April/May last night, and OMG.....prices are HORRIBLE :scared:. I am debating if we should even go. Steve doesn't give a hoot about the cost but I'm having a really tough time with it. It just seems so incredibly excessive. I miss being able to fly from Buffalo already.

Are you anywhere near an airport that has Southwest? They almost always have super cheap airfare to Orlando.

Life in Pieces is on Thursdays (CBS). I think I've had at least one stint of laughing so hard I'm crying nearly every episode.

The DCP kid isn't sure where she's rooming yet-she is requesting the newer places (think Chatham is her 1st choice?). She said Vista Way had too much reputation as a party place LOL! Vista Way is getting remodeled now though...

Perfect! I am going to try and catch it this week :thumbsup2.

We've rarely heard a peep from the DCP kids at Vista Way (and it backs on to the side of SVR that we own in) but yeah, who knows what goes on inside the buildings. Nice to hear they are getting a refresh. I wonder if they will update the outside as well?

Details, details......right now I should be packing or something much more productive but I feel the need to share my itinerary with you. Priorities!

As usual I use my Airmiles for park tickets and normally go for the 3 day passes. This year they only offered a 5 or 7 day but it did reflect the 25% off Canadian offer so we have 5 day passes. We have planned 2 full days at MK, 1 full day at Epcot and then an evening at DHS and an evening at AK. We may or may not ditch one of those evenings but you will have to stay tuned to see how things play out. I hate to waste the tickets but we do want plenty of down time hanging out at the pool too. Our first two days in FL will be shopping days. I've got a car reserved and we will be going to our favourite places but also trying to find a Prom dress. The next day is our Epcot day and we will be arriving there around 11am-ish to get in a few rides before heading to WS for the Flower & Wine festival (yes, it's actually the Flower & Garden but there is nearly as much food and drink as at the Food & Wine festival). I'm hoping we can hang on until Illuminations because it's been a while since we watched it. Last year we faded and could go no further about an hour before the show started. So we will try again this year. After Epcot we have a full day at the pool. Then on the Sunday it's DD's birthday and we will spend the entire day at MK (her request). I've got a surprise lunch booked at BoG. Now, two days ago she tells me she wants a special dinner. UGGG! At this late date there is very little available that 1, fits our plans and 2, fits her palate. I managed to snag a 7pm at Kona but will continue to see if something inside MK opens up. I had planned to order a fancy cake from the cake hotline but now with her wanting a TS dinner the cake is a no.

After her birthday we have the 2 evenings planned at DHS and AK. Those days we will be sleeping in and hanging out at the pool until around 2-3pm. Then off to the parks. Which then brings us to our last day which after we check out of POP will be spent at MK. We did this last year and it was a fun way to spend the day but it did make it so much more sad to go home when you leave MK and go catch the DME rather than have that buffer time to pack up and sleep in your Disney bed one last night. Anyway, we have a 9:30pm flight back to BUF so we will drop our bags at RAC around 8:30am and then have until 3:30-4pm to spend in MK.

I will absolutely be checking in here often while I'm away. The kidlet does not like to get up early and for some ridiculous reason I end up waking up earlier than I normally would. So it's the perfect time to visit here. Besides, I could not resist the opportunity to taunt you all with photos.:stir:

Sounds like a GREAT plan. I am glad to hear that you'll be back to check in, even if just to torment us ;). It's far too quiet when you're adulting.

Now for heaven's sake, splurge on that lovely young lady of yours and go order her a fancy schmancy cake. Budget be darned. It's only money :rolleyes1.

Oh yes, many times I have left like that but this time it's probably going to be like this......
View attachment 223528
I have to go in on Tuesday morning before we go to the airport. I have to leave by 11am to get to BUF for a 3pm flight. I NEVER leave work on time. Did I mention I NEVER leave work on time?

BTW, @Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina your cat picture is probably how your stroll around the house since you have retired.
AND....no Kenny at Steak N Shake?

Ah yes, my retirement :rolleyes2. Hopefully the CIS finds it in the corner of their heart to issue my EAD swiftly so I can get out of the house and make some connections here. Not to mention a little extra spending money. This 'kept woman' thing is only a state I wish to maintain for so long. I've already reached Crazy Cat Lady status and I almost fear what might be next!!

No Kenny at Steak & Shake this time :(. And even worse, I probably won't have opportunity to be served by him anymore, as we have a Steak & Shake here where we live. Our Orlando dining will take on a whole different face now that we have Steak & Shake, Chilis, Olive Garden, Golden Corral, and more all within a short drive from our new home. Too bad too, because Kenny is One In A Million.

Gina- just reading your trips reports makes me feel full!

Ha ha! Sorry about that! :blush: It sure does seem like we eat a lot on vacation, doesn't it? :o

Are you anywhere near an airport that has Southwest? They almost always have super cheap airfare to Orlando.

We're about an hour from Flint, but they have discontinued their non-stops and their prices are high (in large part likely because our travel date is pretty close). I have been able to whittle Jetblue down to a reasonable $528 return (total, for both of us) which includes upgrading to even more space seats. I discovered we had enough Trueblue points for the DTW - FLL leg of the trip so that just left our seating upgrade and our flight home. Flying into Fort Lauderdale is not ideal, but I think we can live with it. Oh, the things we don't do to make a vacation work :p.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter