Double, Double, Toil & Trouble: a Halloween-inspired trip of “two’s” – an October 2016 TR

I like your report on the military museum. I'll have to make it a point to go there. Have you listened to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History? The WWI series really drove home the reality of that war in a way I've never understood before, and got me interested in history, Steve might enjoy it.

As we waited in line for the next available check-in attendant, we were excited to see an Animal Ambassador out and greeting guests: a gentle sloth was patiently allowing visitors to pet her while a Discovery Cove staff answered questions about her very unique friend. [Useless fact: a sloth’s hair is surprisingly coarse].
My life's ambition (okay, one of many) is to see a sloth in person. Discovery Cove, inching ever higher on my list... Wait, do you get to touch the animal ambassadors there or is that a no-no? If I got to touch the sloth I think I might die of happiness.

(and I can’t believe how many people drink Coke with their morning meal :sick:…..not even I, with my sweet tooth, can drink pop that early in the day).
Oh, the brilliant effervescent burn of that sweet sweet carbonation. NECTAR OF THE GODS! It's kinda like Disney, Coke in the morning, either you're a huge fan or you don't get it. Meanwhile I have given up my morning diet coke in favor of black coffee. Mumble mumble mumble.

As always, your villa is gorgeous. It seems great to have all that extra space when you want to relax!

I love Golden Corral. I feel like the only time it's busy is Sunday after church lol

I found out about Lucky on the DIS boards, funny enough! When my DD first became interested in all things sloths, I did a lot of research about where to see them in person. There are several cute YouTube videos about Mila and Corey, so we actually recognized Corey when we saw her in the Sea Garden. My daughter had on her sloth shirt (of course), so she and Corey really hit it off, hence the awesome meet and greet with Mila. I do remember her coarse hair. Sloths are extremely interesting creatures. My young sloth expert wants you to know that Lucky is a Linnaeus's two-toed sloth (Choloepus didactylus), while Mila is a Hoffmann's two-toed sloth (Choloepus hoffmanni) ;)

Very cool! Can she tell from the photo that I posted if it was Lucky or Mila?

Discovery cove is a favorite of mine...so relaxing. We have only been twice hope to go in a few years when the boys get bigger :)

When we went for the first time in 2010, it was our "once in a lifetime" experience. Now we've been 5 times :rolleyes1 but that's largely in part to the amazing discount as SeaWorld passmembers. Without that deep price cut, we would have never been able to afford to go back so many times. I know Lisa and Joe also want to return when their kids are older: neither Alaina nor Johan were old enough to do the dolphin swim, which was a huge disappointment for them. I can totally see them taking the troops back in 2-3 years just for that experience alone.

I like your report on the military museum. I'll have to make it a point to go there. Have you listened to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History? The WWI series really drove home the reality of that war in a way I've never understood before, and got me interested in history, Steve might enjoy it.

I honestly had never heard of it. But, I will be sure to pass it along to Steve......he's never met a history program he didn't like. Thanks for the recommend! :thumbsup2

My life's ambition (okay, one of many) is to see a sloth in person. Discovery Cove, inching ever higher on my list... Wait, do you get to touch the animal ambassadors there or is that a no-no? If I got to touch the sloth I think I might die of happiness.

Oh, the brilliant effervescent burn of that sweet sweet carbonation. NECTAR OF THE GODS! It's kinda like Disney, Coke in the morning, either you're a huge fan or you don't get it. Meanwhile I have given up my morning diet coke in favor of black coffee. Mumble mumble mumble.

You absolutely get to touch the animal ambassadors ::yes::. They have various interaction opportunities throughout the park at different times of the day, so all you would need to do is ask at guest services when you arrive for a list of the animals, locations and times and you're off to the races. I have seen them have the sloth, marmosets, birds, and even an armadillo out for guest to pet and have their photos taken with. You should totally add a DC day to one of your upcoming trips......its absolutely an amazing place!

God bless you for being able to drink your coffee black.....while I know that would be FAR better for my waistline than my Tim Hortons double-double, I just can't do no sugar and no cream. Give me sweet and give me smooth, or give me death! (okay, not really......but you get the point :bitelip:)

As always, your villa is gorgeous. It seems great to have all that extra space when you want to relax!

I love Golden Corral. I feel like the only time it's busy is Sunday after church lol

We went to our local GC on a Friday night and it was PACKED.....but we only have one in the general area so that probably makes a huge difference. I want to go back and have breakfast there at some point. Your post is a good reminder to beware of Sunday crowds.

The finishes in our villa actually remind me of our home here in Michigan: the colour scheme, granite counters, and bathroom styles are very similar. I am wondering if that's why this rental appealed to us so much? It felt like "home" :goodvibes.

I'm pretty sure it's Lucky. Here's a picture of Mila:

Attachments

• mila corey.jpg
    mila corey.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 8
Saturday, October 22nd (continued) :flower1:

14947636_10155153347726416_2139654532748203084_n.jpg

After breakfast, we headed to the wetsuit pick up station to obtain our swim vests for the day.

14908304_10155153347296416_6668136986334087073_n.jpg

All guests must wear either a wetsuit (long-leg or shorty style) or a swim vest (made of the same wetsuit material) while partaking in the water activities at Discovery Cove. It easily discerns between staff and guests (lifeguards are in traditional red and white, other staff are in black and blue, and guests are in black and yellow) and increases guest visibility while in the water. While the temperatures definitely warranted a wetsuit ….. it would have definitely helped keep us warm in those frosty early hours :cold: ….. we both opted for vests based on the simple reality that they made using the washroom SO much easier ::yes::.

14915429_10155153346066416_8010735040613533792_n.jpg

During the time we were getting changed in the adjacent wash & shower rooms, we got a text from Lisa and Joe that said they were in the park, had grabbed a quick breakfast [we later learned that none of them really wanted to each much…..they were all too excited to partake in the activities], and were now on their way to the Grand Reef with the kids. We took all of our stuff and stowed it in one of the large lockers, then headed off to the Grand Reef to see if we could spot them.

14907145_10155153346711416_3375273128256375530_n.jpg

Luckily for us it was still pretty quiet that early in the day, so they were reasonably easy to spot. All five of them were outfitted in wetsuits and snorkels, completely engrossed in swimming with the fish and rays. When the kids spotted us, we received big enthusiastic waves: their mouths were plugged with snorkels, so that was their only means of communication at that point :rotfl2:.

14611052_10155153346451416_6140107112646058528_n.jpg

We stayed with them for a short while, enjoying their excitement and enthusiasm. While we, too, were excited for our day at Discovery Cove, but this was our fourth visit: they were bubbling over with a first-timers delight, and it was fun to watch :goodvibes.

14938191_10155153346706416_3790755694575439342_n.jpg

The Grand Reef, however, definitely isn’t one of the warmest bodies of water in the park……and Steve and I were freezing. We both agreed it was time to head to warmer waters: we had all day at our disposal and could reconvene with them later in the morning. We bid them adieu and made a beeline for one of our favourite places in the park: the one with the warmest water and the most relaxing vibe: the Freshwater Oasis.

14915461_10155153347556416_4009796036692578728_n.jpg

We wrapped ourselves in towels for the walk from the Grand Reef to the Freshwater Oasis: those two areas are on completely opposite ends of the park. While the walk isn’t lengthy, it can feel that way when you’re wet and the breeze lacks any kind of warmth. It sure is a pretty stroll, though, regardless of the air temperature. No matter how often we visit, we are always struck by the sheer beauty of this park.

14910431_10155153349891416_3118016490967906079_n.jpg

We tossed our towels on a chair and wasted no time in sinking into the deliriously warm water of the Freshwater Oasis. Most folks had flocked after breakfast to the aviary (as the birds are generally hungriest in the early morning and most likely to land on your head or arms to partake in a snack), to their dolphin interaction, or to the Grand Reef, so this meant we had the Oasis all to ourselves (save, of course, for the multitude of lifeguards stationed at regular intervals along the sides: but, they were quiet and unobtrusive so we hardly noticed their presence).

We found ourselves a quiet spot underneath some beautiful, overhanging foliage and sank neck-deep into the water. It was sheer bliss: the water was bathwater warm while the atmosphere was tropical and tranquil. We looked at each other, and confessed: we could stay here, in this very spot, all day. It was a tempting thought :scratchin.

14956456_10155153388251416_1767424656135354350_n.jpg

We actually got kind of sleepy after a while, so we decided to move about to shake off our heavy eyelids. That warm water was unbelievably soothing…..almost too much so. We toured around the Freshwater Oasis for a while, visiting the marmosets on their private island:

14925232_10155153350136416_3258876976937574407_n.jpg

…….and the adorable Asian otters, a sibling group of five little rascals who reminded us SO much of our babies back home.

14925813_10155153390476416_1290501803099183625_n.jpg

We also popped out to grab beverages at the snack station: even though it was still profoundly cool outside, it was important to keep hydrated while spending the day in the water and sunshine. We still had almost a week left in our extended vacation, and we didn’t need anyone getting sick.

14947959_10155153347026416_8517608894847346395_n.jpg

We alternated that morning pretty much between the warmer waters of the Freshwater Oasis and the Wind Away River: those two features have always been our favourites in the park, and today was no exception. Every so often, we would take a stroll around to see if we could catch sight of Joe, Lisa and the troops, but we didn’t manage to spot them for the entire morning. Neither of us were carrying our phones around either (just not advisable around so much water: both were safely secured in our respective lockers) so we just went with the flow and figured we’d find them eventually.

14907045_10155153350451416_7438065672931435396_n.jpg

Around 11:30 or so, we headed back to the Laguna Grill to enjoy a hearty lunch before the heavier mid-day influx. It can get reasonably busy from the noon to 1 pm hour, so while we didn’t feel like eating too early, it was smart to do so on the earlier side if possible. While there are never “crowds”, per se, at Discovery Cove (admission is intentionally limited to approximately 1300 guests per day….by design, DC is made to have no queues, no waits, and no crowds) it definitely felt the most full on that day versus any of our previous visits. It was obvious that they were at capacity on that mid-October Saturday.

14938351_10155153347421416_5144255876954497753_n.jpg

We really enjoyed our lunch here ::yes::. The menu had been adjusted somewhat since our last visit, and now included the following items (all unlimited):

Entrées

Bacon Beach Burger

Sweet Hawaiian Chicken

Served over a bed of fried rice

Fire Grilled Fish

BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich

Served with French Fries and Corn Cobbette

Seaside Club Sandwich

Ham, Turkey, Cheese, Lettuce, Tomato, and Red Onion on fresh baked bread

Tropical Summer Cobb Salad

Fresh greens tossed with Feta Cheese, Cranberry, Red Onion, Orange Segments, Lo Mein Noodles, and Honey Mustard dressing. Your choice of Crispy or Grilled Chicken.

Chicken Tenders

Served with choice of French Fries or Corn Cobbette

Island hot Dog

Served with French Fries

Home Made Macaroni & Cheese

Penne Pasta

Choice of Cheesy Alfredo or Marinara with meatballs

Sides

Fruit Cup

Salad

Rice

Steamed Vegetables

French Fries

Macaroni & Cheese

Tempting Desserts

Chocolate Chip Cake

Cherry Cheesecake

Carrot Cake

Tropical Cake

Fresh Fruit

Assorted Pastries

I had the Hawaiian chicken on a bed of white rice, and it was excellent. Steve had a beach burger and the Hawaiian chicken and gave high marks to both. We both had the chocolate cake for dessert, and this was really the only disappointment of the meal: while it wasn’t ‘bad’ by any stretch, it was different than the super fudgy chocolate cake that they used to offer [and was still a dessert staple at SeaWorld] and neither of us liked the change. This had a lighter, fluffier, less chocolatey icing and was sprinkled with chocolate chips. The hard chocolate chips on the light, less sweet icing was odd in both texture and flavor. While the original chocolate cake always left us yearning for seconds (and often acting on the urge to splurge), neither of us finished our slice of the new style cake and we both dumped a portion of our pieces in the garbage.

14906932_10155153349471416_1715204501135048731_n.jpg

By the time we had finished with lunch, the sun was finally gaining enough strength to warm things up to a more comfortable level. While neither of us would have classed the day as “hot”, it was at least growing to be a more pleasant temperature, and for the first time all day we weren’t shivering when we were out of the water. We were thrilled that the sun was bright and the sky was virtually cloudless…..rain is always a worry when a Discovery Cove day is on the vacation itinerary. We couldn’t have asked for a more sparkly, sunny day :sunny:.

14956416_10155153348386416_2412058519496917108_n.jpg

Half the day done, but still half yet to go. The balance of our Discovery Cove day is coming up next.

14962532_10155153347426416_1679501072894442234_n.jpg

It was a good choice :thumbsup2. We were guaranteed that we would each find something we liked to eat, and there’s virtually never a wait for a table.

I used to beg to go to the Golden Corral when I was a kid...I think it was all the desserts.

As we waited in line for the next available check-in attendant, we were excited to see an Animal Ambassador out and greeting guests: a gentle sloth was patiently allowing visitors to pet her while a Discovery Cove staff answered questions about her very unique friend. [Useless fact: a sloth’s hair is surprisingly coarse].

14925338_10155153345111416_7132095416439414889_n.jpg

I would've thought they were softer! But the sloth is so cute.

All guests must wear either a wetsuit (long-leg or shorty style) or a swim vest (made of the same wetsuit material) while partaking in the water activities at Discovery Cove.

Josh walked around with his wetsuit on backwards for a good hour before I noticed when we went :rotfl:

We tossed our towels on a chair and wasted no time in sinking into the deliriously warm water of the Freshwater Oasis. Most folks had flocked after breakfast to the aviary (as the birds are generally hungriest in the early morning and most likely to land on your head or arms to partake in a snack), to their dolphin interaction, or to the Grand Reef, so this meant we had the Oasis all to ourselves (save, of course, for the multitude of lifeguards stationed at regular intervals along the sides: but, they were quiet and unobtrusive so we hardly noticed their presence).

Sounds heavenly!

11:30 or so, we headed back to the Laguna Grill to enjoy a hearty lunch before the heavier mid-day influx. It can get reasonably busy from the noon to 1 pm hour, so while we didn’t feel like eating too early, it was smart to do so on the earlier side if possible. While there are never “crowds”, per se, at Discovery Cove (admission is intentionally limited to approximately 1300 guests per day….by design, DC is made to have no queues, no waits, and no crowds) it definitely felt the most full on that day versus any of our previous visits. It was obvious that they were at capacity on that mid-October Saturday.

We didn't really like the food too much when we went, and there was quite a lunch line! But I was sick and we got there later in the day.

Wait! Slow down!

I've been back from vacation for days, but every time I hit your trip report, something interrupts. Darn if I have to work at work, and cook and clean at home. I finally finished page 15, the same page I was on when I left on the 10th.

Magiano's looked really good. Hoping to carve out some time this weekend to catch up fully on DIS.

And yes, we did get some snow both on the way down and on the way back from the South. Not a lot with some careful dodging of the fronts, but transport trucks were littering the ditches all the along I-81. We ran the gauntlet unscathed however. My poor black bike that was hanging out back was pretty much caked with white salt by the time we got down there; unrecognisable.

We are going to Greenfield village on Easter Sat..opening day. Having a little Easter getaway at The Henry

Gina, thanks for the Discovery Cove pictures. This is on our list for a future trip now that you've featured it!

I can't even believe how beautiful that park looks. I so wish it was in the cards for either of our two upcoming trips but I've stretched and squeezed the vacation budget until it's already screaming. I'm still waiting on release of single day pricing for Volcano Bay for August to see if we can swing that as well. If I win the lotto before August, we'll add Discovery Cove for sure :rolleyes1,
I have budgeted for Aquatica tickets that I am going to put in the kids Easter baskets and we'll use them on our May trip (can get them much cheaper through CAA) . I'll have to be content with that for now.
But we'll get to DC one day hopefully. For now.. I will enjoy it through your pictures! :)

I used to beg to go to the Golden Corral when I was a kid...I think it was all the desserts.

I would've thought they were softer! But the sloth is so cute.

Josh walked around with his wetsuit on backwards for a good hour before I noticed when we went :rotfl:

Sounds heavenly!

We didn't really like the food too much when we went, and there was quite a lunch line! But I was sick and we got there later in the day.

He had the zipper up the front? :rotfl2: That would sure make the wet suit easier to manage when nature called!! :laughing:

Wait! Slow down!

I've been back from vacation for days, but every time I hit your trip report, something interrupts. Darn if I have to work at work, and cook and clean at home. I finally finished page 15, the same page I was on when I left on the 10th.

Magiano's looked really good. Hoping to carve out some time this weekend to catch up fully on DIS.

And yes, we did get some snow both on the way down and on the way back from the South. Not a lot with some careful dodging of the fronts, but transport trucks were littering the ditches all the along I-81. We ran the gauntlet unscathed however. My poor black bike that was hanging out back was pretty much caked with white salt by the time we got down there; unrecognisable.

You mean reading my report comes AFTER work, cooking and cleaning?!?!?! :eek: Someone needs to reorganize their priorities ;) .

Glad to hear you are safely back from the sunny south. Was their still snow on your lawn when you returned? I saw photos of the Ottawa area on Family Day weekend (friends of mine went there to visit their daughter) and OMG, I could not believe how much of the white stuff was still piled up!!

How was your stay at SVR? Anything new nor noteworthy that we should know about before we arrive in 5 weeks time?

We are going to Greenfield village on Easter Sat..opening day. Having a little Easter getaway at The Henry

We are thinking of going that weekend too!! It's going to be our first major holiday away from our families, so we want to do something to keep it upbeat and fun. Not sure if we'll be there on the Saturday or Sunday, but if we happen to cross paths (unlikely, I'm sure, but......) be sure to say hi!

Gina, thanks for the Discovery Cove pictures. This is on our list for a future trip now that you've featured it!

It's such an amazing place.....and such a wonderful change from the hustle and bustle of the theme parks. I definitely recommend it if your budget and itinerary both allow ::yes::.

Another towel animal?????? Not as innocent as you try to make us believe!

Have I mentioned lately how happy I am to have you back from Orlando? ;) It's just so dull around here without ya.

I can't even believe how beautiful that park looks. I so wish it was in the cards for either of our two upcoming trips but I've stretched and squeezed the vacation budget until it's already screaming. I'm still waiting on release of single day pricing for Volcano Bay for August to see if we can swing that as well. If I win the lotto before August, we'll add Discovery Cove for sure :rolleyes1,
I have budgeted for Aquatica tickets that I am going to put in the kids Easter baskets and we'll use them on our May trip (can get them much cheaper through CAA) . I'll have to be content with that for now.
But we'll get to DC one day hopefully. For now.. I will enjoy it through your pictures! :)

Aquatica is such a great place, if you can't get to Discovery Cove, then its a wonderful Option B. Since it doesn't seem to be in the cards for the Disney After Hours event to be extended into early May, I was actually considering a water park day for us as well :scratchin ... though I still haven't ruled it out OR in just yet. It's been a while since we have been to Typhoon Lagoon, so I had been toying with Aquatica or TL tickets (both would end up being about the same overall cost when one park charges for parking but has lower admission prices, and the other has higher ticket prices but free parking). If the weather is hot on our week, I can see us making one of the two a mid-week add-on. Water park days are some of my favourites!

The lottery jackpot is $150 million here in Michigan this week. If we happen to win, DC tickets for your family will be my treat :teeth:. We can keep our fingers crossed for each other.....'cause someone has to win, right?

Gina. I hope this works. It should get you in the mood for Greenfield Village. Watch the second commercial for the adorable red head. DS was so little then

How fun! Is your DS the little cutie with the curly red hair? He's BEYOND adorable!

I am actually surprised I haven't seen those commercials on our local TV yet. I'm going to have to keep a better eye on the screen......the Dis is distracting :rotfl:.

They are pretty old and ran a few years ago but yes the red mop head is mine. The video came up on my memories today on Facebook. Of course now he is 5'10" but still with the red curls. As long as the weather is good we will do Saturday. There should be some baby animals too.

Saturday, October 22nd (continued)

14947602_10155153348286416_8199983999444732241_n.jpg

Our afternoon was spent leisurely enjoying the various sections of the park: the Freshwater Oasis, the Wind-Away River, the Grand Reef, the Aviary, and even just the lovely, sandy beach. The park itself is not really conducive to toting a standard camera everywhere you go (and with our early morning start, I hadn’t thought to bring our smaller camera that day…..the one for which we have the waterproof Dicapac) so I have precious few pictures of us actually enjoying all of the park amenities. In a way, though, that was extra-relaxing all on its own: no camera and no schedule meant more time to savour the atmosphere, the food, the drinks, the water and the sun :sunny:.

We eventually stumbled upon Joe, Lisa and their trio of water-soaked kiddos: they had spent virtually the entire morning snorkelling in the Grand Reef, and they were full of excited chatter about the fish and rays that they had spotted while doing so. Johan was particularly impressed with the sharks, and made sure we knew how brave he was to go swimming right alongside them (glass barrier? What glass barrier? :rolleyes1). They all wanted to know what we had been up to, and when we told them about our favourite relaxing place in the Freshwater Oasis, they asked us to take them there and show them what it was all about.

Outdoor showers:

14937259_10155153350211416_6356995527256252643_n.jpg

We all got warm chocolate chip cookies and slushies from the snack station and sat in the sunken loungers to enjoy a mid-afternoon treat. Everyone LOVED the super warm water and it was a nice time for them to chill out and relax for a bit. They were also completely enamored with the friendly ducks who took great delight in swimming by us.

14906993_10155153387871416_3221679736958477162_n.jpg

Those were some of my favourite moments of that day……happy kids, relaxed adults, and warm cookies. Vacation perfection :cloud9:.

14980589_10155153393121416_4570455239639242640_n.jpg

We hit the Wind Away River with the kids after our little siesta in the Freshwater Oasis, then they headed to the aviary while we meandered back to the Grand Reef. With the warmer afternoon, the cooler waters of the reef were more tolerable than they were in the early morning. We enjoyed some time checking out the fish and rays, though it always takes me a while to re-accustom myself to the feel of the rays touching my legs as they swim by. It’s just…..and odd sensation. Not a bad one, just a strange one :crazy2:.

14956366_10155153377486416_9175235921878003341_n.jpg

Around 4 o’clock, I wandered over to the Adventure Photo location to pick up our complimentary 6 x 8 picture [the one taken just after check-in]. They tried to give me Joe & Lisa’s (we have the same rather unusual last name) but eventually, they found ours.

20170324_123455_zpsjydbnjcz.jpg

We ended up staying all the way until the park closed at 5:30 pm: frankly, it’s a hard place to leave. I know lots of people reference the “Disney Bubble”, but the stark difference between Discovery Cove and the rest of Orlando is probably the most distinctive ‘bubble’ of all. Lisa, Joe and the kids did the same: we knew those rug rats would have NO problem falling asleep later that night.
"Beach hair, don't care" :beach:.

14639702_10155153351251416_6399472574076847336_n.jpg

Footwash station:

14925302_10155153349791416_8342924977115672367_n.jpg

Once we had shed our vests and swimwear and re-dressed in our street clothes, we packed all of our gear into our beach bag and headed back toward the exit. We were pretty weary after a day of swimming, fresh air and sunshine, and our slow gait was showing it. That whole walkway area is too pretty to rush through anyway, though, so we walked slowly and enjoyed the scenery.

14980700_10155153349126416_1709995911500209004_n.jpg

Once back at the Welcome Center, we summoned an uber car via the app, and were picked up in under 10 minutes once again. He whisked us back to the Vistana in short order, and we shuffled up the stairs to our villa before sinking heavily on to the sofa.

We missed the hammocks already!!

14915620_10155153369596416_1951475513239521012_n.jpg

The conclusion of our Saturday is next.

14925410_10155153349131416_2555988551364417876_n.jpg

We have never visited Discovery Cove before, but I would like to...do you think my 13 year old son (who loves riding all rides in theme parks) would like it here? He is my only concern; I think my other kiddos would love DC.

What a great day for you all at DC. Sometimes it's the smaller things, like all enjoying warm cookies together, that stick in your mind and make your vacation so special :goodvibes

Oh I just love DC. I booked a cabana last time and now the kids are like "skip the dolphin, just get the cabana" we are planning Feb 2018 and the kids really want to go back to DC, 3 days at Disney and the other 3 days at aquatics and Seaworld. I'm hoping for a blue Friday sale

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter