"Downgrading" from a 1 BR to a Studio

ericamcl

DIS Veteran
DH and I stayed in a 1 BR MK view at BLT on our most recent trip. We are now in the process of planning our next trip (not until December 2012 *sigh*) and we are thinking of just doing a studio this time - from your experience, will we regret this move? By staying in a studio I'm able to add a few extra nights to our trip with out borrowing or buying 1 time use points :cool1:

Mostly we miss the in-room washer/dryer because of the convenience without the risk of waiting on machines being available. That king bed sure is nice too with the kids in the living room when they crash.

Going down to a studio is not so bad after doing a 1BR, but we do what we have to so we can just be there!!!

With just DH and you, you will survive, but miss the full kitchen and washer and dryer. DH and I almost always stay in studios. I am great at cooking in the microwave, bring a shoe organizer for the vanity in the bathroom, and all is good. Do miss the jetted tub though.

For me, personally, the bigger bathtub is the sign that I am "on vacation." :lmao: But that's obviously a quirk of personal taste.

If you don't have some very specific thing like that which really rocks your boat, then save the points! Longer vacations are good for getting more relaxed, clearing your head, etc. I've made some of the most important decisions in my life on vacations that are longer than 4 days -- because I was finally able to really step away from the outside world and think clearly. That has tremendous value.

Who wants to do laundry on vacation anyway? :confused3

We enjoy cooking during the trip so for us it would be a deal breaker.

Sounds like it's time to buy more points. :thumbsup2

:earsboy: Bill

Can't stay in a studio anymore unless I absolutely have to. The one bedroom is so spacious, and the tub is wonderful. I would rather pay cash and stay at a moderate than stay in a studio on points...just my spoiled self stating my opinion. Hope you have a great vacation no matter what you decide.

DH and I stayed in a 1 BR MK view at BLT on our most recent trip. We are now in the process of planning our next trip (not until December 2012 *sigh*) and we are thinking of just doing a studio this time - from your experience, will we regret this move? By staying in a studio I'm able to add a few extra nights to our trip with out borrowing or buying 1 time use points :cool1:
It depends on how you'd use it. We prefer the full kitchen and W/D along with the extra bathroom space/options but for just the 2 of us, a studio is often fine.

We did this. Everyone has something that is a deal breaker for them. We were at BLT too. This year (points wise) it was a STD 1-bdrm vs MK view studio. I gotta have my view!

If you think you'll be fine in a studio, you will be.

For us, if we're staying more than a couple of days we need the kitchen/washer/dryer/king bed/space. In order to avoid the studios on long trips I'll rent points. Studios, however, are fine for weekend/short trips and we treat them like a hotel room then since we're just trying to squeeze in all our favorite restaurant foods on those trips, and have an okay amount of space in the luggage. If we're going for a week we definitely _need_ the washer/dryer.
Have you considered renting a few extra points or staying in a 1 bedroom then maybe going over to a mod for a few nights to extend your stay?

We don’t have a large contract so we use our points very carefully to have several “small” trips throughout the year. Quantity over quality I guess. Whenever we have stayed in a one or two bedroom we have found it to be awesome and would love to do those more consistently but want to use up large amount of points. Staying in the studios we do well. I don’t want to cook much anyways.

We currently tend to book studios (even with 2 kids). It's such a great value for our points and we already go to Disney more than our points (we pay out of pocket a LOT for rooms). We're moving to Alaska next year, I'm sure we'll get a bigger room when we visit since we'll be coming less frequently.

Just two of us also; we either can do one stay at a 1 bedroom or two separate stays in a studio. Since we live fairly close (in SC), and we wish to do two stays per year, the studio is the obvious choice for us (and we do cook but bring frozen entree's). You'll have to evaluate your personal needs (then decide).

We always stay in a studio.....just DH and me.
We prefer it .........and stay longer (Dec. is 13 nights)
I don't want to cook or do laundry on vacation, so don't need those things.

We book either a studio or a 1 bedroom. A studio is bigger than a cabin on a cruise ship. Bearing this in mind if you are comfortable in a cruise ship cabin you will be fine in a studio. I would rather spend a longer time at Disney than have had more spread out accomodations and a shorter trip.

If it's just the two of you, it really comes down to personal preference.

For some, the extra space is important.
For others, more days at Disney is more important.

DW and I love the 1BR, but we will book a studio when it's just the two of us. To us, a studio is essentially the same as a hotel room. Unless we're sick, we're not spending that much time in the room.

If's it's more than two, then there are many more factors that become important.

We just spent 9 nights in a studio at BLT. We did fine. I do wish the vanity area in the bathroom was larger. But there is so much kitchen cabinet and drawer space that we moved some toiletry items to the kitchen (like the sunscreen, some of my makeup, and my jewelry). That way I could move to the kitchen to finish up while DH took over the bathroom sink.

We also stayed in an OKW studio for three nights during our trip earlier this month before we switched to BLT. Although the room was much larger, it felt more cluttered. All of the luggage and extra items sat in one corner of the bedroom. Whereas at BLT with all of the kitchenette storage we moved everything that needed to be stored in there. And the luggage was left in the hallway near the connecting door to the 1 BR. You rarely noticed it.

Also the connection for the internet was behind the night stand. It would have been nicer if it was at the table instead.

At BLT you don't have a true night stand, but you did have shelves on each side of the bed. At OKW you only had on night stand between the beds. So my DH had to use our cooler as his night stand.

Also I missed the couch at BLT. I think it's more comfortable to sit on the couch with your feet up on the ottoman especially when using my macbook.

For me, personally, the bigger bathtub is the sign that I am "on vacation." :lmao: But that's obviously a quirk of personal taste.

If you don't have some very specific thing like that which really rocks your boat, then save the points! Longer vacations are good for getting more relaxed, clearing your head, etc. I've made some of the most important decisions in my life on vacations that are longer than 4 days -- because I was finally able to really step away from the outside world and think clearly. That has tremendous value.

Awesome!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter