Driving from New Jersey to WDW

We have made the drive several times from VA and it normally runs between 13-14 hours or so, and we split it into a 2 day trip and spend the night in Florence SC. However this time we have 7 going and flying down to save the travel days. We will be there the same time as you as we fly down the 4th and fly back the 11th.

I just checked Google Maps and it says that Wilmington DE to Disney is 14:30 but tack on time for pit stops and meals and my guess is it would probably take 17-19 hours or so (depending if the meals are sit-down or grab-n-go).

I am really NEW to driving to Florida. I have NO IDEA how long it will take.

If you would permit, I suggest spending some time with Google Maps and familiarizing yourself with the route and the time. I would guess you have about 15 hours of driving time. If you leave at 11pm you'll be past DC before the morning rush. Depending on how often and how long you stop along the way you will probably make WDW before Friday evening. I think the question will be how long can you go before you need a longer rest stop. Have you done any long distance driving? Have you ever done a long overnight drive? Make sure you are ready to be alert when zipping along I-95 at 4:30am.

Wishing you a safe trip!

If you would permit, I suggest spending some time with Google Maps and familiarizing yourself with the route and the time. I would guess you have about 15 hours of driving time. If you leave at 11pm you'll be past DC before the morning rush. Depending on how often and how long you stop along the way you will probably make WDW before Friday evening. I think the question will be how long can you go before you need a longer rest stop. Have you done any long distance driving? Have you ever done a long overnight drive? Make sure you are ready to be alert when zipping along I-95 at 4:30am.

Wishing you a safe trip!

I looked last night. I actually logged into my AAA auto club account and tried to map a trip. I was exhausted just by looking at it. :laughing: I will take the time this weekend to map it out. We will see. :rotfl:

But let's not forget, my DH said "NO" from the start. He would much rather fly. He said total time from NJ to Florida is 4 hours at BEST. That's from the moment we leave home....travel to the airport....go thru security...get a snack while waiting at the gate..boarding the plane...take off and landing. He says if we decide to drive, he will meet us there!!!!
:rotfl2:

We have made the drive several times from VA and it normally runs between 13-14 hours or so, and we split it into a 2 day trip and spend the night in Florence SC. However this time we have 7 going and flying down to save the travel days. We will be there the same time as you as we fly down the 4th and fly back the 11th.

I just checked Google Maps and it says that Wilmington DE to Disney is 14:30 but tack on time for pit stops and meals and my guess is it would probably take 17-19 hours or so (depending if the meals are sit-down or grab-n-go).

Yes....I guess since I have never driven, I am looking at closer to 19 hours. I probably will want to stop often. So far DH is NOT on board so I may not be driving after all. :laughing:

Yes....I guess since I have never driven, I am looking at closer to 19 hours. I probably will want to stop often. So far DH is NOT on board so I may not be driving after all. :laughing:

I think you said it's a travel party of 3? If so, I would just fly as otherwise you will get there feeling really tired and DH will be ready to hit the parks...

Wow....I guess I never thought about an actual "stop time for overnight". I was thinking of stopping where ever I am friday evening at dinner time. I figured we would stop somewhere for a sit down dinner and overnight stay. Then get up around 7am and finish the drive. I guess if I really want to do it, I better plan accordingly. Until you asked, I never thought about the time or place I would be when I would stop. I guess I better map it out and see. Any suggestions for websites to help with that?? Or are you telling me that if I leave at 11pm Thursday night, that I will be in Orlando before Friday night??? I am really NEW to driving to Florida. I have NO IDEA how long it will take. :laughing:

When I leave around 2:30 AM, I am in the Orlando area around 6:30-7:30 that same night. So if your driving times are similar, leaving 11 pm, would put you there say 3 hours earlier than that, so say 4 PM the next day.

When I leave around 2:30 AM, I am in the Orlando area around 6:30-7:30 that same night. So if your driving times are similar, leaving 11 pm, would put you there say 3 hours earlier than that, so say 4 PM the next day.

Now YOU have me thinking again !!! :scratchin I like the way that arrival time sounds....4pm you say?? :scratchin So arrive Friday night at 4pm. Check-in to the Red-Lion Hotel around 5pm. Go out and get a bite to eat. Come back to the hotel, and have a nice umbrella drink or two by the pool while DH and the kids splash around!! By 9pm or so I will be sound asleep and ready to get my vacation started early Saturday morning !!! Go check-in to Orange Lake Resort and get this Orlando Vacation Underway!!! :woohoo:

Well that looks and sounds good on the screen....Now the question is, can I convince DH to drive along??? :lmao:

I think you said it's a travel party of 3? If so, I would just fly as otherwise you will get there feeling really tired and DH will be ready to hit the parks...

Its either a party of 3 or 4 if DD11 takes a friend or relative. But either way, we will be there for 15 days and I doubt we will go to Disney since DD11 has other things on the list to do and see in Orlando. So I will be able to relax since there will be no commando touring of Disney this year!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter