DVC exclusive Danube River Cruise

Thank you Calypso for your awesome posts! We're booked on the July 28th sailing. I assume the wifi on board is pretty decent? I have an odd question. We started looking at river cruises last year and decided on AMA. The other couple we travel with have severe, life threatening peanut and tree nut allergies. When I spoke to AMA - I was flat out told that they couldn't accommodate their allergies. We booked the ABD Costa Rica trip instead. When the ABD river cruise opened up, we moved our reservation over but only after we checked with several sources (ABD as well as a few Guides I know from previous adventures) to make sure my friends would be safe on this adventure. Being such a new adventure, I just want to make triple and quadruple sure that they will be safe (especially since we talked them into this trip). Is there anyone on board, by chance, that has a food allergy and how do you think they've been handling them? The marzipan making demonstration will be a real problem (cross contamination) so I wonder how that will be handled. Also, I'm glad you mentioned that the motion sickness wasn't bad - our friends have never cruised before (have never been to Europe before either - it's hard to communicate how severe their nut allergies are when you don't speak the language) because she has terrible motion sickness too. Your pictures are GORGEOUS and I can't WAIT for our friends to experience this! Thanks for any information!

I am fairly certain they can/will be accommodated. Twice we have sat with others who have an allergy and they were told what they could and couldn't have. If you look at the pictures of the menu I posted you will note some letters after each item. The letters correspond to an ingredient that may be a common allergen. There is a reference on the back of the menu letting you know what each letter stands for. To be sure though, I will ask one of the ABD VIP peeps that are on our sailing and report back later.

To you and everyone else who has expressed their thanks, I say you're welcome! I am really glad to know that my TR is helpful both to those booked on the upcoming future cruises and those who weren't sure if they'd want to try a river cruise with ABD.

Last edited:
@Kidoctr - I asked some of the VIP ABD peeps about how allergies are being handled. They said Ama is working very well with ABD to accommodate allergies and avoid cross contamination. They said that Ama cannot guarantee a mistake wouldn't be made but I don't think any company could make that guarantee. I understand that the chef will come to the table like at WDW. I am also told that by 2017 all menus at restaurants in the EU countries will be required to have the a legend with corresponding numbers or letters by each menu item letting guests know what common allergens may be in the food. I forgot to ask about the marzipan activity but will do that later. I hope this helps.

Last night we opted for the concert with classical music back at the palace over the wine tasting and hanging out. It was a neat experience and I am glad we did it. I mean when else are you able to say, "I listened to a Mozart concert in Vienna." There were performers in some of the sets in addition to the musicians. I had no idea what they were singing as I don't speak the language but it was fun to imagine while listening and watching the body language. It didn't really matter what the guy was singing as he had a great voice and was kinda hot! I would have listened to him sing the words out of a dictionary. For the guys reading this, there is eye candy for you too. The female singer was very pretty and had a spectacular voice! The building where the concert takes place does not have AC so it was a little warm. If you are on a summer sailing, keep this in mind. It wasn't incredibly uncomfortable but we were fanning ourselves with the tickets and the with the paddle of power LOL This is also a no pics allowed but we bought a program as a souvenir.

image.jpeg

This morning we opted for the hike to see the Dürnstein Castle ruins. It was well worth the sweat, moments self doubt and time spent sucking on my inhaler! Now calling it a hike is somewhat misleading. It's more like the stair master from hell. Quite close to the end I thought I wasn't going to make it and might have to turn back. That is likely because it is hard to gauge where the end actually is and your position in relation to the top. So I didn't realize I had only a little way more to go.

The hike is much shorter in duration than the one we did in Scotland with ABD but it makes up for that with regards to intensity. For me, the hike was grueling. If you've read my Scotland TR then you also know I am NOT "work out girl" I am "read a book girl" just to put things in proper perspective. Also understand that I am 47, about 30 pounds overweight, asthmatic and currently have an injury to my hip which radiates pain to my upper thigh if I walk or stand for too long. I still made it to the top. It wasn't pretty but I got there. Now, also understand that I am rather stubborn and have never quite come to terms with words and phrases like "no, can't, shouldn't and not possible." To me those responses have always meant I did not phrase the question or idea correctly. So this morning I popped some prescription strength Naproxen, slathered on some pain cream and threw on a hip/groin/thigh support wrap and secured it really tight.

The groups are split up into those who want to go to the top for sure or try going to the top and those who want to go part way or aren't sure. You can change your mind along the way though. I was in the going to the top but did let my guide know that I didn't know if I'd make it. I was assured it was ok to give it a go and change my mind if necessary.

I also want to add that at "the top" it is waaaaay up top. There are no railings or guard rails. Therefore, if someone has a child that has issues with following directions, is oblivious to their surroundings and has no sense of self preservation or concept of consequences to their actions then I'd suggest pick something other than this hike :-) We did have kids on this hike and they were great and did just fine. I heard from others that the Apricot farm excursion was fabulous! Wish I would have been able to do both!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
After climbing back down which was way easier than up for me we visited the village. It is very charming and looks like something out of fairy tale. DH spotted a cemetery there while we were shopping. Now I love cemeteries, always have and don't know why. I love taking pictures at cemeteries and find them to be very peaceful. This was one of the loveliest cemeteries I have ever seen. I will put it up there with the above ground cemeteries in New Orleans in terms of out of the ordinary. If you don't like or are creeped out by cemeteries then scroll past this post ;-)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This last picture is the ossuary.

Is the ossuary filled with skulls and bones of people who couldn't afford to be buried or can I put on my Mouse Ears to make everything magical and assume it is just a realistic looking sculpture made out of resin and plaster? ;-)

He says "Hi" back! Each group I have been with has been 38 or less. Everyone is assigned a color before they leave for their activity so you can group with your two guides and bus assigned to that color. You can change your mind but I think they need to have a general idea of how many are doing a particular excursion so they can break them up into groups and guides. If 80 people sign up for the same thing there would be 2 buses and 2 guides on each bus is how it looks and things will be staggered so you don't have all 80 people in the same spot at the same time.

For example, when we are all doing the same thing like this morning then it is 4 colors, 4 buses and 8 guides, 2 per bus. One group may have gone to the gardens, while the other group was touring the palace, another group doing the strudel show and the other group watching the marionette show. They've got it all figured out.

Yes, there have been gifts each night. Although, I am not sure if the ones after the first night are from DVC or ABD. I'll ask and find out. I have just neglected to add pictures. Each of the subsequent gifts has reflected something important or well known about the city we are visiting.

We do have DVC and ABD VIP guests on board for this inaugural cruise. They have been actively seeking feedback from the guests and are tweaking things to make a better and smoother experience based on feedback for the next groups. Mind you, nothing has been bad or chaotic in any way. They are "plussing" to use a Disney term, things for the guests as they go. The Disney Parks Blog team is here too and they have been filming the trip. They work really hard, manage to film without impacting anyone's experience and are just so nice!

Our experience has been amazing! DH and I have always felt Scotland to be our favorite trip. I don't imagine any trip will ever top that one for us. This will likely be our second favorite ABD if things keep going the way they are. I can tell you right now we will definitely do another river cruise since we have enjoyed this one so much. Now, I have read cruise critic, talked to others who have done river cruising and took a peek at some of the other River cruise ships this week and compared them to ours. So I can also say I will only do a river cruise again if it is with ABD.

That's good that they are keeping the groups at under 40. The biggest concern for me in doing this trip was that we'd end up with 40-50 (if too many people wanted to do one activity).

So cool about the VIPs! I figured there would be on this trip. I'll make sure to be on the lookout for the Disney Parks Blog to see if there are any Calypso sightings :)

I suspect Scotland will always be our favorite trip, too. That one is going to be hard to top. I loved all the special access/VIP type of things they did for that one. Anything like that on the river cruise? Nothing really like that on the Greece trip.

This morning we opted for the hike to see the Dürnstein Castle ruins. It was well worth the sweat, moments self doubt and time spent sucking on my inhaler!

I'm so torn between doing this and the 3-hour bike ride. Do you know if folks on the bike ride also hike to the castle ruins? I know the route passes by but I don't know if there'd be enough time to make the climb.

Calypso, I am echoing what others have already said--thank you so much for posting your trip report as you go. I have been wanting to do a river cruise for a long time but wanted to go with a younger mentality group. After completing our first ABD last month, I was leaning towards their river cruises. That is, until I asked my sister if she wanted to go. She is anti-Disney, and I think that is only because I am pro-Disney. I know my husband would be into an ABD river cruise, but I don't think he'll be joining my sister and me if we do one in the near future.

Jennae did say that that hike was challenging, but worth it. Your photos definitely confirm that! I'm leaning towards that activity. Did the others say anything specific about the Apricot farm other than it was fabulous? :D

Sayhello

Is the ossuary filled with skulls and bones of people who couldn't afford to be buried or can I put on my Mouse Ears to make everything magical and assume it is just a realistic looking sculpture made out of resin and plaster? ;-)

If I understood correctly the graves are rented and not purchased. If the rent isn't paid or graves not kept up then the remains are taken out and placed in the ossuary.

Of course! Just like the skeletons in Pirates of the Caribbean :-)

That's good that they are keeping the groups at under 40. The biggest concern for me in doing this trip was that we'd end up with 40-50 (if too many people wanted to do one activity).

So cool about the VIPs! I figured there would be on this trip. I'll make sure to be on the lookout for the Disney Parks Blog to see if there are any Calypso sightings :)

I suspect Scotland will always be our favorite trip, too. That one is going to be hard to top. I loved all the special access/VIP type of things they did for that one. Anything like that on the river cruise? Nothing really like that on the Greece trip.

No special access like Scotland that I have encountered so far. But our tours in the public places have all been private tours. Yeah, I don't see anything topping that trip for us. The itinerary that year was phenomenal, our entire group of adventurers were fun and fabulous, that hike was the most magical moment for me ever and we had Hanni and Zoe for our guides! How do you top that?

I don't know about Caypso sightings but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a W@LL-E sighting.

I'm so torn between doing this and the 3-hour bike ride. Do you know if folks on the bike ride also hike to the castle ruins? I know the route passes by but I don't know if there'd be enough time to make the climb.

The 3 hour bike ride is actually closer to 6 hours. They were letting folks know this on the day that we were selecting our excursions. Unless they change something, you can do the climb in the morning and then go do the long bike ride. We spoke to someone today who actually did that. After the morning hike and visit in the village you are transported back to the ship. The long ride cyclists were getting ready to leave a little while after we got back.

Beautiful setting! I love all the red tiled roofs. It does look like quite the hike up there.

It was gorgeous! We had a good amount of folks of all age ranges on the ship do the hike.

Calypso, I am echoing what others have already said--thank you so much for posting your trip report as you go. I have been wanting to do a river cruise for a long time but wanted to go with a younger mentality group. After completing our first ABD last month, I was leaning towards their river cruises. That is, until I asked my sister if she wanted to go. She is anti-Disney, and I think that is only because I am pro-Disney. I know my husband would be into an ABD river cruise, but I don't think he'll be joining my sister and me if we do one in the near future.

Like the land based ABDs the Disney factor of the trip doesn't go beyond safety, quality, guest service and a pin. You are welcome though and I am glad to know you are enjoying my trip report.

Jennae did say that that hike was challenging, but worth it. Your photos definitely confirm that! I'm leaning towards that activity. Did the others say anything specific about the Apricot farm other than it was fabulous? :D
Sayhello

Yes! I got some more details from others who went and it sounded wonderful!!!! I really wish it would have been possible to do both. As much as I love scenic views, I think I would have loved the Apricot Farm just as well.

Last edited:
This afternoon we arrived in Melk and went to visit the Melk Benedictine Abbey. We had a private tour and then were able to see the church. The Abbey church is jaw droppingly stunning! Westminster Abbey is beautiful but this church is in a whole 'nuther league.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks so much for your wonderful reports and photos. We're heading to the Danube cruise on 7/21 with friends for our third ABD. Can't wait!! You've given us more to look forward to. Thanks again hope the rest of your vacation is as fabulous as it has been so far!!

Also, you mentioned the warmth of the concert area. Do they allow people to bring in water bottles? That may be a bit easier on the room temp. We are on the July 21 cruise. Thanks again.

Also, you mentioned the warmth of the concert area. Do they allow people to bring in water bottles? That may be a bit easier on the room temp. We are on the July 21 cruise. Thanks again.
That's an excellent question. I try to always carry a water bottle with me when I'm on vacation.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter