DVC must stop rentals.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
They could at least get the seasons right (allowing for year-to-year Easter weirdness and whatnot), even if they didn't rebalance anything between or across units. They insist on pricing Summer like DVC members are cash guests, but DVC demand doesn't follow cash demand.

Summer has been reduced in recent years and the fall has been going up. So, I think they are working on balancing things out. The problem is that no matter what they do, mid September to mid January, especially November and December are going to create high demand for DVC.

You simply can't wait until 6 months out for busy times and expect there to still be rooms exactly the size or dates you might want.

Another way to look at it is DVC has allowed too many small contracts over the years. A simplified example of this: say Early December is a very popular travel time, and the resort has mostly 150 point contracts, you've basically doubled demand over a scenario where the same resort would have mostly 300 point contracts. . Basically twice as many owners vying for the same reservation. And that doesn't even account for the people who buy fixed weeks for studios during popular travel times.
This also contributes to community backlash when they try to adjust points charts. Set aside the debate about base year and all that, just imagine a very simple scenario where they tried to raise the cost of September and lower the cost of August. There are a lot of old time OKW owners with 80 point contracts who think they're entitled to a week in a Studio every Fall.

This also contributes to community backlash when they try to adjust points charts. Set aside the debate about base year and all that, just imagine a very simple scenario where they tried to raise the cost of September and lower the cost of August. There are a lot of old time OKW owners with 80 point contracts who think they're entitled to a week in a Studio every Fall.
Not sure there are a lot of "old time" OKW owners with 80 point contracts, though, as the minimum buy in for OKW in the early 1990s was 230 points. But I do remember when those 230 points would get about 3 1/2 weeks in a studio in the lowest season.

The nefarious version of this theory
Maybe, but I'm a big fan of Hanlon's Razor, and I think they just screwed up. In most other point-based systems, studios are the last to go. That's partly because most timeshare owners did not buy timeshares to stay in glorified hotel rooms, and DVC owners are a different breed in this way as well as many others. But it is also because the spread between studios and 1BRs is much narrower, at which point stretching points is less interesting than having a little more room and a richer set of in-room amenities. In those systems, studios are arguably under-pointed, because they last so long vs. the larger condos.

I think I've read that Disney isn't just allowed to balance demand, but that they're actually obligated to do so.
They are, but there may also be limits. DVC resorts have internal (legal) structure in the form of "Units". A Unit is (usually) a collection of co-located rooms in the resort, and are treated as one legal entity. For example, when DVC declares inventory into the conodominium association, it does so Unit-by-Unit. When it sells points, the points are drawn from a specific Unit.

People often say "points can't go up or down year to year at a resort," but what the documents arguably say is that points can't go up or down year to year within a unit. That might not, itself, be a problem, except that Units don't have the same configuration so you can't easily change points allocated to studios vs. larger units, assuming DVC wants to retain the constraint that lockout and dedicated 2BRs cost the same. I think if they were willing to relax that it could work. And, we've seen them be willing to ignore the (presumed) Unit constraint at SSR by rebalancing between Treehouses and the rest of the resort, where the Treehouses were in their own Units. It's not clear whether doing that was legal or not. Most folks (me included) seem to think that it wasn't.

This isn't the only way to structure a resort. Some other developers use "Undivided Interest" where the entire resort is treated as one legal entity. In a UDI resort, there would be no barrier to rebalancing across room sizes, and one is only bound by the "entire resort can't go up/down" rule. I suspect Disney wanted to avoid UDI so that they could retain rights to unsold inventory in a way unconstrained by the governing documents. IMO that was short-sighted, but I'm not a Mouse House executive, so what do I know?

They could at least get the seasons right
And they've been doing that, by increasing fall and decreasing late spring/summer. They have been doing this slowly out of what I believe is a combination of prudence and the 20% YoY limit in chagnes to nightly point values.

Wyndham is probably the most aggressive
As an aside, there has been a vigorous, years-long "debate" over on TUG around this topic. (I put "debate" in scare quotes because, at this point, it's really just become a mud-flinging exercise). For the most part, Wyndham's various changes don't really impact most rank-and-file owners at all, and most of the wailing and gnashing of teeth has come from people using a substantial chunk of their points in a rental business.

Last edited:
I am not sure you do. Search any 'Is DVC for me' type thread and planning trips at least 7 months in advance (and preferably 11 months at your home resort) to get what you want is almost always a point raised.
I am a charter member. So I am quite sure I understand.

I don't think the system was designed to handle the current iteration of the rental market. The fixed week issue is a real problem. I don't know what the solution is, but something should be done.

I am looking at the 2nd week of Nov and there is nothing.

Not sure there are a lot of "old time" OKW owners with 80 point contracts, though, as the minimum buy in for OKW in the early 1990s was 230 points. But I do remember when those 230 points would get about 3 1/2 weeks in a studio in the lowest season.
Am I imagining things? I could have sworn there was a giant pile of 80 point contracts out there, similar to the way every-other AKV contract seems to be a 160 point December UY.

Am I imagining things? I could have sworn there was a giant pile of 80 point contracts out there, similar to the way every-other AKV contract seems to be a 160 point December UY.
It is possible there are some who did 80 point add-ons then sold off their original 230, but the original buy in was 230, and it dropped to 210 after BWV opened, I think.

Those 80 point contracts would have been add ons in later years. Initial buy in was 230, so those who bought at the beginning would have at least a contract that size. You wonder if those smaller ones are from those who are downsizing memberships now, or from others who picked them up over the years.

I am a charter member. So I am quite sure I understand.

I don't think the system was designed to handle the current iteration of the rental market. The fixed week issue is a real problem. I don't know what the solution is, but something should be done.

I am looking at the 2nd week of Nov and there is nothing.

I agree that over the years, as more owners have entered the system, that there is more demand out there and that the fixed week option was bought by many who wanted to secure a room during a very difficult time. And, the lowering of minimums did allow more owners who purchase for studios.

The resale market has also contributed to small point owners as they can pick up less than what DVD sells as a minimum...and then add on in smaller amounts. But, even with all of that, lack of availability when you are going, this late in the game, may have nothing to do with renters...it is simply a very popular time.

Would most OKW 80-point contracts be add-ons by owners already having the minimum contract at the time?

As for the OP, DVC has always been most beneficial for those who plan, be it at 11 months or at 7 months. It is much less friendly outside those windows, so it's not shocking to not see studios available 6 months out for a very popular week. Between F&W ending and Jersey Week, that second week of November is very popular - always has been, even pre-Covid. I know, we made the mistake of scheduling a trip that week once, and we avoid it now.

If someone plans it out and wishes to rent their points to pay for dues (or other reasons), then should be able to do it. If someone has points to 'walk' a desired reservation, so be it. Trying to change the point structure around to be more favorable to a particular interest isn't a real solution. You can't know how the reservation system works, plan outside the ideal reservation windows during a very busy week with the most popular rooms, and then call 'foul' and 'change the rules'.

This isn't the only way to structure a resort.
While I'm on this subject, DVC is also strange in how it deals with lockoffs.

In most other systems, a studio costs A points, a 1BR B points, and a lockoff 2BR costs A+B. If there are also dedicated 2BRs, they may or may not be the same as a lockoff, and if they are not the same the dedicated is often fewer points.

AFAIK, the DVC lockoff components are always in the same Unit, and the basis points for selling that Unit are derived from the values when all lockoffs are booked as the combination. That means if the components are booked separately, a sold-out resort cannot be filled by owner reservations--there are not enough points to do so. But the owners have to pay for the collective operation of the resort in its entirety. The rest of the inventory is "free" to Disney. Disney pays the owners back in the 12.5% breakage cap, so maybe it comes out in the wash. I've never done the math.

This "lockoff premium" has been part of DVC's structure from the very beginning as approved by the FL timeshare authorities, so presumably it is legal to structure a resort this way but it has never sat right with me.

Last edited:
I am not sure you do. Search any 'Is DVC for me' type thread and planning trips at least 7 months in advance (and preferably 11 months at your home resort) to get what you want is almost always a point raised.
This is the truth. It's not for everyone. I was asked by several family members and friends what the difference is and/or how DVC works. I always start by saying, "Any time share is very essentially, a built in plan to vacation, year after year, in either the same location or with the same company." It requires a planning mindset or the ability to plan that far in advance. By ability, I mean some careers/jobs just don't allow for that far in advance planning. I feel like this is the primary reason timeshare can be polarizing to a degree.

Side note: Even hotel room inventory is gone by 6 months in any popular location, especially the studio or regular accommodations.

Do you usually try to book a 2nd week of November vacation six months out? If so, is this year's availability substantially different from prior years?

(I'll note that I think this period includes Jersey Week.)
Yes! I am from Jersey lmao. Typically I have zero problem at least getting into OKW or Saratoga. I have also stayed at Boardwalk, Wilderness and AKL. With options.

This year, I can't even get into OKW.

This is the truth. It's not for everyone. I was asked by several family members and friends what the difference is and/or how DVC works. I always start by saying, "Any time share is very essentially, a built in plan to vacation, year after year, in either the same location or with the same company." It requires a planning mindset or the ability to plan that far in advance. By ability, I mean some careers/jobs just don't allow for that far in advance planning. I feel like this is the primary reason timeshare can be polarizing to a degree.

Side note: Even hotel room inventory is gone by 6 months in any popular location, especially the studio or regular accommodations.
Keep reading. I have owned since the mid-90s. I know how DVC works.

Guys and Gals. I know how DVC works. I have been booking DVC vacations for, literally 2+ decades. Things have changed. I believe it's the explosion of the rental market. Feel free to disagree with why things have changed. But don't tell me, "DVC isn't for me"

Yes! I am from Jersey lmao. Typically I have zero problem at least getting into OKW or Saratoga. I have also stayed at Boardwalk, Wilderness and AKL. With options.

This year, I can't even get into OKW.

It sounds like it might simply be the glut of points that is impacting your trouble this year if you normally have no issues booking 6 months out. Use the waitlist and keep stalking the website. These days, things are changing up a lot and you may find it possible!

Unfortunately, things have changed over the years and I think people have been adjusting to booking farther out. I myself have noticed a huge shift in what I could get at 7 months just 5 years ago until now.

I believe it's the explosion of the rental market.
As I wrote, I suspect it has much more to do with the pandemic backlog (as you've noted) plus revenge travel. I bet most of us would be surprised at how many points went unused most years, and I bet that the unused points this year will be much lower.

Does the rental market contribute? Maybe, but only if those points would have been unused otherwise.

Edited to add: the other way the rental market might be distorting things is that I suspect that market is even more fixated on studios than the Membership generally, because DVC renters are primarily looking for a discount over Disney's room rates. But, the reason that market is so robust is, again, the studios are woefully under-pointed vs. cash room rates. And, there isn't a concordant increase in 1BR availability, so it feels less like a market distortion and more like overall higher demand---and that can be coming from Members as easily as Renters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter