electric scooter question

mach5

Mouseketeer
Does anyone know if you have to have a doctors note in order to rent the electric scooter? Someone told me you did, but I didn't think so. Thanks!

No, you don't.
If you were going to buy one and insurence was covering it, yes. But to rent, no.
If you check out the disABILITIES FAQs, you can see places to rent one from.

Perhaps the person offering information was confusing it with renting an electric wheelchair (not a scooter). It is my understanding that they will only rent those to people who are already using them at home, because they're a bit more complicated to operate than the scooters. Forgive me if this is misinformation, but this is what I remember reading somewhere.

Thank you. This would be for my mil, and this was something she heard at the drs office.

Thanks again!

JoannaOhio said:
Perhaps the person offering information was confusing it with renting an electric wheelchair (not a scooter). It is my understanding that they will only rent those to people who are already using them at home, because they're a bit more complicated to operate than the scooters. Forgive me if this is misinformation, but this is what I remember reading somewhere.
You remembered right about the places only renting power wheelchairs to people who already use them. Although you don't need a doctor's order for those either, they are harder to operate and need some individual set up. The least expensive ones cost about twice as much as an ECV costs, so the places don't want to rent them casually.
My DD's first power wheelchair cost more than my first car (and it was a new car, not a used one).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter