Emetophobia (fear of vomiting) Support

TaraPA.....
I think its a normal reaction to get all panic stricken and frantic when someone vomits. Its a nasty mess and who wants to clean that???? Ugh

You can add me in! I have had a huge fear of throwing up, or someone around me throwing up for as long as I can remember. The last time my DS was sick, I almost passed out, it was crazy:rolleyes1. I make my middle son sleep with a small bin by his side as he never makes it when he wakes up sick, and this has saved me alot of cleanups in the past. The funny thing is that I can handle vomit, if its not from a contagious standpoint. My DS had appendicitis and was puking, that didn't bother me cause we couldn't catch it. My friend had too much to drink and was puking and I sat right on the floor with him holding a cloth to his neck, again with no proboems:confused3. My DH got sick and I took the kids and we stayed in a hotel till he was better. THey posted on the news a week ago that the noro virus is in our area pretty bad, so that right there up'd my anxiety level. I stopped taking my meds a few months ago when I became pregnant, and considered going on them again, but I recently found out I am having twins, so I won't start them again because this is a high risk pregnancy as both babies are sharing the same sac, so they said I will be delieved quite a bit early and don't want the babies dealing with more then they have to. UGH, now I am rambling so anyhoo, I will join your club:goodvibes

You can add me in! I have had a huge fear of throwing up, or someone around me throwing up for as long as I can remember. The last time my DS was sick, I almost passed out, it was crazy:rolleyes1. I make my middle son sleep with a small bin by his side as he never makes it when he wakes up sick, and this has saved me alot of cleanups in the past. The funny thing is that I can handle vomit, if its not from a contagious standpoint. My DS had appendicitis and was puking, that didn't bother me cause we couldn't catch it. My friend had too much to drink and was puking and I sat right on the floor with him holding a cloth to his neck, again with no proboems:confused3. My DH got sick and I took the kids and we stayed in a hotel till he was better. THey posted on the news a week ago that the noro virus is in our area pretty bad, so that right there up'd my anxiety level. I stopped taking my meds a few months ago when I became pregnant, and considered going on them again, but I recently found out I am having twins, so I won't start them again because this is a high risk pregnancy as both babies are sharing the same sac, so they said I will be delieved quite a bit early and don't want the babies dealing with more then they have to. UGH, now I am rambling so anyhoo, I will join your club:goodvibes

How are you doing with morning sickness and your twins? I don't want to puke, that's why I keep trying to come off the pill and then chickening out.

How are you doing with morning sickness and your twins? I don't want to puke, that's why I keep trying to come off the pill and then chickening out.

ace.....if you become pregnant you can talk to your OB about your fears and hopefully she will prescribe Phenergan for you. It is an antiemetic and I know lots of women who took it during their first trimester and the baby is fine. I was lucky I never got sick during all of my pregnancies. I had 2 births and 3 miscarriages.

I have never had bad morning sickness. More of an all day ickyness, its wierd, its not really nausea, but just a strange ickyness:confused3 But my doc gave me zofran incase and it definitely has helped. This is also what they give my DS when he gets stomach bugs, cause he can never stop throwing up when he gets sick. I take him in at the first barf, and they load him up and we are usually good to go:)

I always get a bit anxious on planes that someone is going to get sick. I think that would just be awful for me since I run away whenever somone around me is sick, and I can't do that on a plane. I always sit by a window, so it's not so easy to move and get away.

2 years ago coming home from our Disney trip, a little boy about 3 or 4 years old threw up 2 seats in front of us. I honestly wouldn't have known he had gotten sick if it weren't for the flight crews bringing a bag to put his stuff he got sick on into. I think with the noise of the engines, it helps drown it out. Now unless you have someone who is especially loud, or right next to you hopefully you won't notice a thing:goodvibes

My oldest has a sore throat so I have to bring him to the doctor and there is always anxiety for me going there. Bound to be someone sick in the waiting room. Thank God for my Ipod! Although I have gotten much better hearing it on TV. Would not be able to handle my DH barfing in the bathroom but I can close my eyes and hear it on TV sometimes. When I was a kid I remember when I felt sick I would need complete silence in the room. I would yell for people to not talk or make any noise because it was a distraction. I was working so hard trying to convince my brain to not let it happen.

Welcome Annie!! OMG someone else that makes her kid sleep with a bowl in his bed - I thought I was the only one EVER!!!!!!

Don't apologize for rambling. I do it ALL THE TIME. When I say this problem with me is consuming, I mean it. Every single night I could come on here & tell you why I think one of my kids will throw up during the night. Every night. Every single stinking night. I hate it. And I just might come on here very night & tell you why I think my kids will be sick - maybe if I go back & read them all I will see how absolutely unreasonable I am. Maybe it will help! Tonight I'm nervous because DS13 is at an away wrestling match (germs germs germs!) & it's an hour-long trip on the bus back to our school. He gets car sick, but not so much anymore, but I'm still always a wreck when he takes the bus to & from sports. His phone battery died so I can't text him obsessively (I'm sure he's thrilled about that!). I will have to go pick him up at the school around 10:30pm. DH went to the match an hour away to watch him but then went straight to a business dinner that is still going on.

Welcome Annie!! OMG someone else that makes her kid sleep with a bowl in his bed - I thought I was the only one EVER!!!!!!

Don't apologize for rambling. I do it ALL THE TIME. When I say this problem with me is consuming, I mean it. Every single night I could come on here & tell you why I think one of my kids will throw up during the night. Every night. Every single stinking night. I hate it. And I just might come on here very night & tell you why I think my kids will be sick - maybe if I go back & read them all I will see how absolutely unreasonable I am. Maybe it will help! Tonight I'm nervous because DS13 is at an away wrestling match (germs germs germs!) & it's an hour-long trip on the bus back to our school. He gets car sick, but not so much anymore, but I'm still always a wreck when he takes the bus to & from sports. His phone battery died so I can't text him obsessively (I'm sure he's thrilled about that!). I will have to go pick him up at the school around 10:30pm. DH went to the match an hour away to watch him but then went straight to a business dinner that is still going on.

I can honestly say I find reasons why my kids may puke at night too!! Its horrible to be comsumed by this all the time:guilty:. How did your DS do on his ride home last night?

Hi ladies! Having another high anxiety night. DS13 was sent home from school today with sore throat & fever, and when I picked him up I knew he was sick. I took him right to the doctor, and he tested positive for strep. ARGH! My other son had strep a few years back & was vomiting on & off - possibly from the meds - so now I'm terrified that D13 will be sick tonight from his meds. ALSO - double anxiety - we had no school yesterday because of snow - DS10 went over to a friend's house where 5 boys were playing all afternoon - TWO of them were sent home from school vomiting today. OMG!!! I am positive DS10 will be sick now during the night from whatever bug they have.

Hi ladies! Having another high anxiety night. DS13 was sent home from school today with sore throat & fever, and when I picked him up I knew he was sick. I took him right to the doctor, and he tested positive for strep. ARGH! My other son had strep a few years back & was vomiting on & off - possibly from the meds - so now I'm terrified that D13 will be sick tonight from his meds. ALSO - double anxiety - we had no school yesterday because of snow - DS10 went over to a friend's house where 5 boys were playing all afternoon - TWO of them were sent home from school vomiting today. OMG!!! I am positive DS10 will be sick now during the night from whatever bug they have.

TaraPA.....my son has strep too and as long as you make sure they eat something with the medication he should be fine. Vomiting is a symptom of strep but most kids don't get that. To ease your fears a little about your son being with those kids yesterday.....with a stomach bug you are only contagious during and after the illness. Unless they had symptoms then I would try not to worry too much. Although I would be too. I was sick last night myself. Was sooooo nauseous that I had to take a Phenergan and it barely helped. Thought I was going to toss my cookies but once i fell asleep I was fine. I am still kind of crummy today but I have stomach issues anyway so I don't think it was a bug.

Thanks for the pep talk Lukenick1! He just took the 1st dose of antibiotic with a milkshake - I would never have given him dairy with it but the doc said he should stick to ice cream & milkshakes for 24 hours (THANKS doc!)...so hopefully it will stay down. I'm more nervous about the younger one catching the bug yesterday (even though I know what you said is true, my anxiety won't go away!)

Sorry your son is sick & that you were almost sick too! I have gastrointestinal issues myself, but they never include vomiting, so if I'm super nauseous I chalk it up to something I ate or a touch of the bug.

Your welcome :hug: Thats what this thread is all about. I should practice what I preach sometimes;) Let me know how tonight goes.....

OMG!!!!!!! I kid you not, I just got into bed and turned the TV on and the minute it comes on I see people puking. ***???? It was on NBC the show The Office. I am a magnet for that :confused:

Ugh I can't believe that's what was on the TV when you turned it on! Are you re-playing it in your head or are you ok?

The night was quiet, no one got sick, as usual, but I had tons of anxiety trying to fall asleep.

Hello all!

I am new to this thread but most certainly not new to emet. I have had it since before I can even remember. I had high anxiety thru most of my childhood due to being afraid of vomit. I was always afraid of being on buses, going to crowded malls, being some where new and not knowing where the nearest bathroom was, all things I'm sure you all know about very well. I am now almost 23 and I have been on medication (prozac) for my anexiety for about a year and I can honestly say it has helped me a great deal. I dont have the constant fear or worry anymore, I even got over one of my biggest fears of rollercoasters (was always afraid I'd embaress myself and throwup after or see someone else do so) this summer when I went to Six Flags (and might I add that six flags is definitely not even comparable to how wonderful Disney is :rotfl: ). All though I believe I am not completely over my fear I feel so much better day to day without the constant worry. I was always strongly against medications as I thought I would become a "zombie" and what not but it really has helped.

Hello all!

I am new to this thread but most certainly not new to emet. I have had it since before I can even remember. I had high anxiety thru most of my childhood due to being afraid of vomit. I was always afraid of being on buses, going to crowded malls, being some where new and not knowing where the nearest bathroom was, all things I'm sure you all know about very well. I am now almost 23 and I have been on medication (prozac) for my anexiety for about a year and I can honestly say it has helped me a great deal. I dont have the constant fear or worry anymore, I even got over one of my biggest fears of rollercoasters (was always afraid I'd embaress myself and throwup after or see someone else do so) this summer when I went to Six Flags (and might I add that six flags is definitely not even comparable to how wonderful Disney is :rotfl: ). All though I believe I am not completely over my fear I feel so much better day to day without the constant worry. I was always strongly against medications as I thought I would become a "zombie" and what not but it really has helped.

Welcome.....as you know there are many of us out there. I was on Celexa last year and I can honestly say now that it did help my anxiety too. However, I was a Zombie on it so I came off. I am so irritable now and know I need something again, but I am afraid to go back to meds. I would rather deal on my own. My kids are telling me to go back to the "be nice" pills. :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter