Empty nesters bringing dogs to Disney

dannyb63

An amusement park junkie
Good day,
The DW and I are planning our first trip since pre Covid. We are renting a 25 ft RV and will drive to Disney with the dogs from IL. I am looking for your experience with camping with dogs there, how the boarding is? I believe the boarding is right there in Fort Wilderness? How is the boarding and how did it work into your ride and dinner schedules? We plan on going the 2nd week of march for the flower and garden festival and have booked our trip, we will be there 6 days…. We do not have where they are putting us yet. I’m open to all info you can pass my way. Thank you!!!

Hi there!

I bring my dogs to FW often. There is no boarding on FW grounds, that would be at Best Friends Pet Care which is a short drive from FW.

https://www.bestfriendspetcare.com/location/waltdisneyworldresort

Best Friends does require reservations and you need to bring proof of vaccinations. They open every morning a couple of hours before park opening and close a couple of hours after the last park closes at night. You can do overnight boarding or day boarding, which would be any time within the open-close hours.

March is a very busy time at Disney World and FW due to spring breaks, so you should make your reservations for Best Friends very soon.

I personally leave my dogs in the camper and come back and check on them every 4-6 hours or so, depending on the outside temps. I leave the television on for them as well as the AC or fan running (depending on the temperature outside).

I used Best Friends for day boarding a few times when I knew we would be away from the camper for the whole day.

March is not an especially hot time of year in Florida.

If you have any questions, I will do my best to answer them.

Thanks proudmomof4 for your reply. Is it a drive out of disneyworld to get to the boarding? And if so do you know approx how far? We were hoping it was within Disney so we did not have to pack up the camper to take them.

Thanks proudmomof4 for your reply. Is it a drive out of disneyworld to get to the boarding? And if so do you know approx how far? We were hoping it was within Disney so we did not have to pack up the camper to take them.
Best Friends is still on Disney property, but definitely not walking distance from the Fort. As you can see from the map below, it's a 5 minute drive from the Fort Outpost to Best Friends which is across the street from Port Orleans Riverside.

1694990009265.png

If you don't want to have to unhook the camper each time, then Uber, Lyft or Minnie Vans are going to be your best bet. You'll just have to ask for dog friendly vehicles.

They have a promo now that pops up on the above link showing they will now pick up your pooch at Fort Wilderness.

Thank you… that would be awesome. I’m not seeing the link can you post it again?

W have kept ours few times over night when we knew we would not pick them up B4 closing. Our 2 fur babies loved it there. I also had them groomed & did an excellent job. Yes, very close to "The Fort".

Thank you… that would be awesome. I’m not seeing the link can you post it again?

PICK UP
Yacht Club: 7 AM - 7:30 AM
Fort Wilderness: 8:30 AM - 9 AM​

DROP OFF​

Yacht Club: 6 PM - 6:30 PM Fort Wilderness: 7:30 PM - 8 PM​

If you would like to add this service to an existing or new reservation then call (407) 209-3126 to add it on for only $25 Round Trip!! There is limited space so call now!​

above from link provided by proudmomof4

We've had our Dachsie at BF on our 3 prior trips, reservations already made for our 4th in Mar. We do the day boarding and it works great. He's always happy to arrive and happy to leave so we feel he gets great care.

He's a yapper so we wouldn't be able to leave him in the TT, but that aside the best thing is not having to return to a rig multiple times to feed/potty.

We drive to 3 of the parks and BF is right on the way, we boat to MK but it's still pretty much 'spittin' distance' from the Fort. At $25 per day ahnd wit pickup being too late for rope drop, we'll continue to 'chauffeur' him ourselves.

We have been bringing our 2 girls AKA The Savage Sisters since 2017 and they absolutely LOVE IT. They don't do well in a Kennel ( Even though we tell them it is CAMP ) so we keep them in the coach with us. Happily all the loops are Pet Friendly . We like the 1800 or 1600 loops back up to the canal that was the former authorized dog walking location. I have taken to using it sparingly as we have seen gators back there on a few occasions and have had some turkeys ambush us a few times as they crossed over to perform their Site Inspector Duties
We don't do parks every day. When we do hit a park , we plan visits around their eating schedule or how long we plan to be gone, Max of about 8 hours , works well for us. Looping in our Golf Cart is a favorite activity. The bigger of the 2 , Katie swears she has a drivers License and has to get pushed out of the drivers seat.
They believe the Ride of Shame or as Disney Advertises it The Holiday Golf Cart Parade. Is my punishment for being breaking the rules and running around in a decorated GC. They come to ensure I am subjected to the full measure of ridicule and shame I am deserve. People pointing and waving at the are proof that others feel sorry them for the abuse I put them through The Cookies that people sometimes offer them are just an added bonus.
Frequent trips to the dog park are the order of the day. Sky our little one is very reluctant to go while on her leash . When things are quiet she loves it there. It can get busy early in the morning so I try and hit it while I have my coffee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter