Evacuated from dinner at Cinderella Castle

Nohal

DIS Veteran
My friend was having dinner with her family on Saturday when the fire alarm went off. Everyone was evacuated from the restaurant. When they were let back in the tables were cleared and everyone got new food. They were also given back the 2 credits for each person (5). Since it was their last day and the flight was going at 7am the next day, they were unable to use those 2 (10) credits.

They booked on free dining at a value and paid to upgrade to the DDP. She was at least hoping that she would be credited for the difference between the free and what she paid to upgrade. They checked with guest services back at the resort and they were told there was nothing they could do about it. She called when she got home and was also told there was nothing they could do. However, they gave her an email address to send a note to.

What are the chances that she will get some kind of reimbursement? She was really sad as they saved the credits to be able to have their last meal at the castle.

I left credits a few years back and they reimbursed me for them. That was before they had the exchange program where you could get snacks in exchange for your table and quick service credits. It wasn't a huge reimbursement, maybe 150ish dollars, but we had been 15 days with 8 of us and they were very nice about it.

None, but she might push them to add those credits. Is like getting a courtesy fastpass for waiting to long at guest services or else, if you can’t use them then is on you not them. I’m sure is somewhere in writing they don’t reimburse money. What a bad timing to be at Ciderella’s dining

I'm not sure why your friend would expect anything in return for the unused credits? If I'm reading correctly, they basically started the dinner over again with new food once they returned to the Castle. So they did get the dinner that they reserved, correct? The additional 2 meal credits were just extra's. Its not like she had true unused credits that she paid for. Unless I'm missing something, I feel that your friend is being greedy by expecting anything monetary in return.

It sounds like the 2 credit refund was a good will gesture. They got their meal and experience, right? I would probably let it go.

Yes, this. Her expectations are unreasonable when they did get the meal and experience, it was just interrupted. I mean, free dining is a 4 night minimum, so it's not like this was their only TS meal. Why should the whole difference in plan cost be refunded?

She was really sad as they saved the credits to be able to have their last meal at the castle.

But she had a meal. And it was free. It’s also impossible for them to refund the difference when QS and snack credits are included. So, to me, that’s an unreasonable request.

I understand that she felt like it was a wasted reimbursement, but perhaps a request for future use vouchers would’ve been more suitable?

She was at least hoping that she would be credited for the difference between the free and what she paid to upgrade.

She was really sad as they saved the credits to be able to have their last meal at the castle.

To that first sentence, um, why? I'm sure her other TS meals went fine or you would have said so.

And to the second, she saved her credits and she DID use them at CRT. She was simply unable to use her "bonus" credits that Disney kindly provided as a goodwill gesture. It sounds like she was out literally nothing.

I definitely would have been annoyed at my meal being interrupted, though, for sure.

Yet another reason in the exceedingly long list of reasons why no one should ever get the DDP. Everyone else who paid OOP likely had their meals refunded but for some wildly bizarre and irrational twist of logic the OP is just supposed to be happy that their meal was ruined. Honestly, I feel terrible for the OP and can only hope anyone who reads her cautionary tale will take head and think twice before ruining their vacation with the DDP

i would have used them as snack credits to take home

1 TS Credit = 3 Snacks
10 TS Credits = 30 Snacks

It sounds like it was her own fault for leaving credits "on the table" so to speak - even though they were "free"

I told her she should have used them for snacks. First trip for them.

I didn't think Disney would really do anything other than what they already did. Like others have said she was able to have a full meal even though it was interrupted.

Told her I would check with the nice "dis" people and see what they had to say.

I would probably let it go- but I understand the inequity. It’s not so much they didn’t get what they paid for, but they didn’t get to use the extra credits like most everyone else did. I think best case scenario if they really push the issue they might give your friend the two credits back if they book another trip on DDP.

i would have used them as snack credits to take home

1 TS Credit = 3 Snacks
10 TS Credits = 30 Snacks

It sounds like it was her own fault for leaving credits "on the table" so to speak - even though they were "free"

30 snacks is a lot to pack on a flight if you don’t have the space. Then there’s the possible TSA security swab with carry-on. Personally, I would find that extremely inconvenient on top of the evacuation.

Yet another reason in the exceedingly long list of reasons why no one should ever get the DDP. Everyone else who paid OOP likely had their meals refunded but for some wildly bizarre and irrational twist of logic the OP is just supposed to be happy that their meal was ruined. Honestly, I feel terrible for the OP and can only hope anyone who reads her cautionary tale will take head and think twice before ruining their vacation with the DDP

Yep, people on cash were refunded cash and those with extra days on the DDP had an extra meal or two. Nice.

I do feel for the Op’s friend and feel like there could’ve been an alternative reimbursement due to her flight predicament, whether future vouchers or cash. Too bad the friend didn’t take the issue up with the restaurant manager at the time. Now it’s up to GS.

OP - here’s GS’s email if your friend wants to reach out to them guest.services@disneyworld.com

If I’m reading this correctly, they booked free dining at a Value (so no TS credits because it’s the QS dining plan that’s included). Then they upgraded to deluxe (so $63.75 per adult and 18.24 per child which for 2 adults and 3 children is $182 per night) which gave them 3 credits per person per day to use as they wish (so 15 total credits per day at about $12.13 per credit)

At current pricing, 2 adults and 3 kids is just over $300 oop. 10 credits (what she spent on this meal) at $12.13 is a little over $121, so I don’t think she’d be able to argue that she didn’t get the value of the credits and it isn’t up to Disney what day she ends her trip or which dining plan she upgrades to. The 2 credits is a nice gesture, they did still have the meal, and they did get more than the assumed value of the credits. I doubt Disney is going to offer anything more. It’s always free to ask, but at this point I’d be surprised if there was a monetary refund.

Last edited:
I'm not understanding why Disney would have refunded anything at all... they got their meal, and another fresh meal afterwards! I could understand if they were inconvenienced by being placed for an hour or something outside, but if they just needed to exit for 5-10 minutes it was very generous for Disney to refund anything when they were given fresh food. Accidents happen and there was probably a pretty good/serious safety reason for making everyone exit.

I'm not understanding why Disney would have refunded anything at all... they got their meal, and another fresh meal afterwards! I could understand if they were inconvenienced by being placed for an hour or something outside, but if they just needed to exit for 5-10 minutes it was very generous for Disney to refund anything when they were given fresh food. Accidents happen and there was probably a pretty good/serious safety reason for making everyone exit.

Amen.

They have a story to tell

Bad luc it was last night. Her family got what they paid for, didn’t know snack was an potion, left credits on the table. There is not a reimbursement option here. They upgraded the plan, had ts meals throughout their vacation. Time to move on and enjoy the memories.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter