• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

I’ve never used a rideshare before and want to see if I have this right. We want to go from AoA to Universal for the day and then back.

Two adults, a 2-yo using the UberXL/Uber Family car seat, infant in carrier that is also a car seat, and 2 strollers.

An Uber XL should work in this situation, especially if I text the drivers each way.

Does that sound right?

Thank you!

You’re assuming an Uber with car seat will be available when you want it. I’m not sure that is a good assumption.

You’re assuming an Uber with car seat will be available when you want it. I’m not sure that is a good assumption.

True. From what I had read, they are harder to get... take longer. I had originally thought of a car service, sounds like it might be a safer bet.

Thank you

I’ve never used a rideshare before and want to see if I have this right. We want to go from AoA to Universal for the day and then back.

Two adults, a 2-yo using the UberXL/Uber Family car seat, infant in carrier that is also a car seat, and 2 strollers.

An Uber XL should work in this situation, especially if I text the drivers each way.

Does that sound right?

Thank you!
Your analysis of what to order is perfect. You only have 4 people, but both babies will need to be in second-row seats, so XL is the better choice. It's theoretically possible that an UberX Car Seat would work, but only if the driver consented to one adult riding in the front seat. Most drivers have no problem with front-seat passengers, but it is up to the individual driver.

Availability could be a problem, but take a shot. FWIW, I just checked US for both X and XL with car seats from US to AoA. X was 10 minutes away, and XL was 20 minutes away. There is no guarantee a driver will accept a ride 10 minutes away, much less 20, but the fares are $7-$8 more (the driver gets MUCH less than that extra!) so you never know.

Before you request a ride, the first step is to fill in "Where to?" on the app. Once you do that, scroll to the UberX Car Seat option and see if any are available. If not, scroll to the UberXL car seat option and check. If one is available, you will see it in the app along with an approximate time to pickup.

Renting a car for one day is also an option, provided the company you rent from also rents car seats. You'll have to check the pricing of that (including parking both at US and AoA), but it still may be cheaper than a car service.

Just a little reminder...

I often recommend that riders have both the Uber and Lyft apps on their phones, and that we CHECK PRICES when we are in an situation where there might be a significant difference. Here's a good example of what I'm talking about.

This morning, while waiting for my flight home, I was passing time by catching up on some driver social media. I saw one post where they checked what is typically a $30 ride from Ft. Lauderdale airport. Because of demand, Uber was charging $75. Lyft was charging about $50. Hmmm.

So when we got to MIA, I checked both apps for our XL ride home. Uber $62; Lyft $51...easy decision, even from someone who prefers Uber usually.

Price-check!

NEWISH UBER IN-RIDE SAFETY FEATURES:

I've mentioned this in other threads, but just want to update here. Over the last few months, Uber has rolled out a number of new safety features for both drivers and riders. These are new, and are in addition to the longtime safety feature of double-tracking each ride on both the driver's app and the rider's.
  • Sharing ride progress -- Uber now provides the ability to share your actual ride progress in real time with trusted friends and family. Once your driver is en route to pick you up, just swipe up on your screen and tap "Share Status." You can have multiple people simultaneously tracking your ride in real time.
    • This feature also would be helpful if you are making a stop to pick up friends. Just share your ride with them and they can see you approaching them for pickup. That makes for a quick, easy pickup -- and you don't get charged extra because your friends are not ready.
  • 9-1-1 calling in-app. You can now call 9-1-1 from the rider app -- and if you ever need to call 9-1-1 while on a ride, YOU SHOULD USE THIS FEATURE.
    • Here's why. If you place a normal 9-1-1 call from a cell phone, the address shown to 911 is the location of the nearest cell tower -- which could be several miles away. If you place that same call IN-APP, 911 is automatically linked to the Uber GPS system, showing your precise location...including if you are still moving. That means faster and more accurate emergency response.
  • Automatic crash detection. You're very unlikely to be involved in a crash. But if you are, the Uber driver app is exceptionally sensitive to sudden deceleration and will alert Uber to a potential crash. To give you an idea how sensitive, the Uber driver's app can detect whether we are using a phone mount, or are hand-holding our phone!
    • In the event of a possible crash, Uber very quickly calls the driver to see if everything is OK.
    • Again, any 911 response is automatically linked to the Uber GPS location, ensuring a faster and more accurate response.
"Spotlight"

This is not a safety feature, but it's especially helpful at crowded venues like airports, sporting events and concerts, and Disney theme parks -- any crowded pickup point.

Once your Uber driver accepts your ride, you see them approaching on your app screen. Just below that map, you will see the driver's picture and a picture of their car. If you want to see that larger, simply tap or swipe it.

To the right of the driver info, you will see a little lightbulb-like icon. As the driver approaches, that icon will display a color. Tap the icon and it will turn the entire face of your phone that color and give you a message to display your phone face to the approaching driver. This makes it easy for the driver to spot you, and differentiate you from other waiting riders. I was in NYC and Boston last week and used the spotlight on every pickup.

Question about the UberX/Lyft and luggage...

We travel with (3) 22" carry-ons and (3) back-packs. Sometimes, we will have 1-3 standard-size bags of groceries too when we use Uber/Lyft to transfer between resorts. On our last trip, we used an UberX to go over to Beach Club one morning, simply because we had a F&W event in the back of Epcot and we wanted to enter via the IG instead of walking all the way from the front. We didn't have any luggage so an UberX was fine for the 3 of us. One thing I noticed was when the driver picked us up, he put his bag (a small gear-type bag, perhaps a lunch cooler of some sort) into the trunk. When we had to switch resorts later in the week, I remembered that, so I decided to request an Uber XL, just to make sure that our luggage (which included 3 grocery bags as well as the backpacks and carry-ons) would fit, in case the driver had any personal baggage as well.

What is the "policy" if the rider's belongings should fit into the vehicle, but the driver has personal belongings that make is so that there is not enough room? Is there a cancellation penalty? I certainly don't have an issue with a driver bringing their personal property along with them. If you're out driving all day, you definitely need a substantial lunch cooler and other items to keep yourself entertained and safe. I'm just thinking that if I request a vehicle and see that the driver is arriving in, say an Impala (which has a HUGE trunk) and the driver shows up with their golf clubs in it because they have a round of golf scheduled later, and now my luggage (which easily fits in MY Impala)won't fit , will I be penalized if I have to cancel the ride?

Sorry if this is a stupid question...I only use Uber/Lyft at WDW and that is once a year...but I love it when I use it:thumbsup2 This thread has been AMAZING and I really appreciate all of the information:disrocks:.

Last edited:

We travel with (3) 22" carry-ons and (3) back-packs. Sometimes, we will have 1-3 standard-size bags of groceries too when we use Uber/Lyft to transfer between resorts. On our last trip, we used an UberX to go over to Beach Club one morning, simply because we had a F&W event in the back of Epcot and we wanted to enter via the IG instead of walking all the way from the front. We didn't have any luggage so an UberX was fine for the 3 of us. One thing I noticed was when the driver picked us up, he put his bag (a small gear-type bag, perhaps a lunch cooler of some sort) into the trunk. When we had to switch resorts later in the week, I remembered that, so I decided to request an Uber XL, just to make sure that our luggage (which included 3 grocery bags as well as the backpacks and carry-ons) would fit, in case the driver had any personal baggage as well.

What is the "policy" if the rider's belongings should fit into the vehicle, but the driver has personal belongings that make is so that there is not enough room? Is there a cancellation penalty? I certainly don't have an issue with a driver bringing their personal property along with them. If you're out driving all day, you definitely need a substantial lunch cooler and other items to keep yourself entertained and safe. I'm just thinking that if I request a vehicle and see that the driver is arriving in, say an Impala (which has a HUGE trunk) and the driver shows up with their golf clubs in it because they have a round of golf scheduled later, and now my luggage (which easily fits in MY Impala), will I be penalized if I have to cancel the ride?

Sorry if this is a stupid question...I only use Uber/Lyft at WDW and that is once a year...but I love it when I use it:thumbsup2 This thread has been AMAZING and I really appreciate all of the information:disrocks:.

If you do encounter this and have to cancel (with a penalty), contact Uber/Lyft and explain the situation. They should refund you. We had a situation where the driver had a personal companion in the front seat, leaving us one seat short of the number we needed. I contacted Lyft and they refunded the cancellation fee.

What is the "policy" if the rider's belongings should fit into the vehicle, but the driver has personal belongings that make is so that there is not enough room? Is there a cancellation penalty? I certainly don't have an issue with a driver bringing their personal property along with them. If you're out driving all day, you definitely need a substantial lunch cooler and other items to keep yourself entertained and safe. I'm just thinking that if I request a vehicle and see that the driver is arriving in, say an Impala (which has a HUGE trunk) and the driver shows up with their golf clubs in it because they have a round of golf scheduled later, and now my luggage (which easily fits in MY Impala), will I be penalized if I have to cancel the ride?

There is no specific prohibition about carrying personal items. The requirements are that an X vehicle must have 4 doors and seatbelts for 5, including the driver. XL must have 4 doors and seatbelts for 7, including the driver. (And FCDub is absolutely right about cancellation fees above.)

There is also no specific luggage capability requirement. My experience is that riders are very conscientious about ordering a big enough vehicle.

When we travel (myself, DW and DD16), we order XL if we have any luggage. Also, I quite often get XL rides for just a couple going to dinner. Just two people, but they want to have a nicer vehicle, so they order XL.

"Personal companions," however, are strictly prohibited by both companies. If you have a driver show up with someone else in the car, you should immediately cancel (even if you fit) and report them to the company.

Last edited:
Also, I quite often get XL rides for just a couple going to dinner. Just two people, but they want to have a nicer vehicle, so they order XL.

There have been times when I was by myself and I wanted an X, but the app only showed availability for an XL so that’s what I ordered.

There have been times when I was by myself and I wanted an X, but the app only showed availability for an XL so that’s what I ordered.
OUCH! Did you see the option to order X -- or was only XL shown?

"Personal companions," however, are strictly prohibited by both companies. If you have a driver show up with someone else in the car, you should immediately cancel (even if you fit) and report them to the company.

It was VERY strange and made us uncomfortable, even if we'd been able to put everyone in the car.

It was VERY strange and made us uncomfortable, even if we'd been able to put everyone in the car.
It was probably nothing more sinister than a driver taking a friend along to teach them how to drive...and they probably didn't think anything of it. But it makes people uncomfortable, especially if you are alone and there are two of "them" and only one of you.

Again, strictly prohibited and something that should be immediately reported to Uber or Lyft.

Only XL was showing.
Okay, this is a common problem with the Uber app display -- which is why I phrased my question the way I did.

The ride options vary from city to city, and neither Uber nor Lyft display ALL options on the screen at the same time.

So -- with both companies, you now have to scroll left and right to see all of the options.

In Miami, for a while our Uber display had two pages. One was Pool and Express Pool, and the other screen was XL, Lux, and Lux SUV. Often riders would select XL even if they were alone, because it was less expensive than Lux and Lux SUV -- which were the only other choices they saw.

Just FYI -- X is available EVERYWHERE! If you don't see it displayed, scroll left or right and you'll see it.

Okay, this is a common problem with the Uber app display -- which is why I phrased my question the way I did.

The ride options vary from city to city, and neither Uber nor Lyft display ALL options on the screen at the same time.

So -- with both companies, you now have to scroll left and right to see all of the options.

In Miami, for a while our Uber display had two pages. One was Pool and Express Pool, and the other screen was XL, Lux, and Lux SUV. Often riders would select XL even if they were alone, because it was less expensive than Lux and Lux SUV -- which were the only other choices they saw.

Just FYI -- X is available EVERYWHERE! If you don't see it displayed, scroll left or right and you'll see it.
If there are no cars in the area, do the apps display the vehicle type with "Not available", or not display the vehicle type at all?

If there are no cars in the area, do the apps display the vehicle type with "Not available", or not display the vehicle type at all?
It will show the 8 closest vehicles on the map. There is always a vehicle available -- it's just a question of how far away. In busy areas like WDW or Miami, the map looks like an ant bed!

Does MCO have a designated Uber/rideshare pick-up spot? Or just lower level where taxis are?

Does MCO have a designated Uber/rideshare pick-up spot? Or just lower level where taxis are?
Pickup is on 2nd level "Arrivals", unless you get an Uber Black. The app will tell you. I'm not sure how it works currently: either the app will tell you which door number to wait at, or it will ask you which door you're at.

Use Uber's Spotlight feature which Jim described above. If you're using Lyft, some Orlando drivers now have the Amp device which displays a colored light in the car's windshield.

Last edited:
Use Uber's Spotlight feature which Jim described above. If you're using Lyft, some Orlando drivers now have the Amp device which displays a colored light in the car's windshield.
In Miami, Denver, Nashville, NYC, Chicago, and I think LA -- some Uber drivers have the Uber Beacon, which is similar to Lyft's Amp.

The Beacon is attached to the front windshield, and when you tap the Spotlight icon on the rider app, the Beacon lights up with your color and flashes. That feature makes identifying your Uber vehicle very easy in a crowded venue like an airport. Unfortunately the Beacon is only available in the cities above, and only experienced highly-rated drivers have them.

With the Spotlight, the KEY thing is to SHOW your colored phone face to the approaching driver. I can't tell you how many times my Beacon has lit up and the rider had their phone in their pocket or purse!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter