Every road leads back to the place I know...

RedK

Mouseketeer
Hi all
I'm K, a 57 year old program manager for a Very Large Company. Long divorced, no kids, a happy solo, but with heavy elder care responsibilities. I love Big Thunder Mountain, Animal Kingdom, Moana, Star Wars, plants and gardens, good wine, Dole Whip, and mornings. I hate brussels sprouts, staying up late, music so loud you can't think, and being late. Oh, I hate being late.

My last trip to WDW was right after the parks reopened after the Pandemic. It was not a good trip. Some of that was Disney, some of that was me, but the truth is, that by the time I got home, I didn't think I'd ever want to go to Disney again. I'd been to Disney yearly for almost a decade, but 2.5 years went past without a single wiggle of interest in returning. I kept up with Disboards, but there were so many threads about the problems. It convinced me I still didn't want to go back. Then I happened to catch a Mammoth Club video on YouTube. And then a second one. A friend went to WDW and shared some great pics. I started to get the urge. Then my father had a stroke and almost died. It was a long 3 months getting him healthy again. In late January, I felt desparate. I needed fun. I needed sunshine. I needed to get away. And suddenly I was booking a week at WDW for the end of February.

I had second thoughts. And third thoughts. And fourth thoughts. I was so afraid I wouldn't have fun. I nearly cancelled. Thanks to some timely advice and encouragement from @tigerlilly and @Newsies in my pre-trip thread, though, I decided to go and see for myself whether WDW was fun again. Join me on my solo extravaganza to rediscover Disney and see if the magic was still there!

One last thing: a warning - this is a thread with no pictures. I learned long ago that I get so involved doing things that I forget to take pictures, and now I don't even bother trying. So if you like threads with lots of visuals, I won't feel bad if you skip over and move to one of the other wonderful trip reports here.

Day 0: Getting Ready

I love my dad. He's a good guy. But at almost-89 with a lot of health conditions, he's pretty frail. He's also completely unwilling to live anywhere other than his home. I get that. I do! But boy, it's hard. In addition to working and taking care of my own life and house, I have to cook his meals, grocery shop, pay the bills, clean, yard work, take him to the doctors, set up his meds, take care of his cat. You get it. It's all the work of two separate households but where you can't really make decisions about one of them. I try hard to preserve my dad's independence and give him the happiest life I can. That's 30 hours per week of care. I talk to him or visit him every day. With my job and house, that means there isn't much time left over for me.

In order to go on vacation, I have to take an extra day off before I leave to set him up. Do the groceries, meals, meds, etc so i can go away. This time, I decided I would leave on vacation early Sunday, so that I could spend all day Saturday getting him ready. He's so good about me going away. He encourages me, and slipped a $10 bill into my hand as I was leaving him to "buy myself something fun." I feel so guilty though! And so afraid something will happen if I leave!

I've been doing this for several years though, so I got everything done. It was 5 pm Saturday night by the time I could go home and pack. The weather for the week had been forecasted to be really good, in the high 70s and sunny. I pulled out my favorite Disney tshirts and shorts, a couple of swimsuits, and a cute dress. There's was this itch, though. This voice. And for whatever reason, I listened to it, and added 2 pairs of sweatpants, a couple of long-sleeved shirts, and a jacket and hat. I've gone to Disney in February several times and never needed it. I almost took that stuff out. Finally, though, I closed and locked the suitcase. I packed my carryon, and headed to bed. I had a 6:10 am flight to catch.

K, I'm here! Hoping you had the most fabulous trip -- can't wait to read more!

Day 1: Travel Day

Is there anything harder than sleeping the night before vacation?

I live close to the airport, so figured I needed to be up at 4 am to get ready, and leave for the airport by 4:30. Naturally, this meant I woke up at 2 am. I was wide awake, not just unable to sleep, but unable to lay in bed and rest. I tried, but about 3 am, I gave up and got up. The cat was very confused. However if I was going to leave that nice soft bed, she would be happy to settle into the warm spot I vacated. You're welcome, cat. Glad I can serve.

My uber arrived in 4 minutes, and I was at the airport by 4:30. I was flying Southwest, and the best thing about Southwest is that there is a Starbucks in the SW terminal. I was the third person in line when it opened. I grabbed a hot chocolate and settled down to wait. I opened the Weather app and looked at the forecast. Uh oh. Oh no. The forecast had changed. It was going to be cold at night. And maybe even in the day. I was so relieved that I'd back those extra warm clothes! Mentally I started rearranging my wardrobe, figuring I could buy a cute Disney sweatshirt if I needed to.

I like taking the first flight out in the morning. The plane is there and it's never late. The flight was only half full, and most people seemed to go to sleep the minute they were in their seat. I was too antsy. Too excited, really. I tried to read, but couldn't focus. Tried to play solitaire, but couldn't focus. So mostly I watched the world go by outside the window. Sunrise was glorious. The red-gold light sparkling on the snow in the Appalachians was beautiful. I love watching the world from inside a plane. What is that river? Is that I-75? Is that Louisville or Mobile beneath me?

Finally we were over Florida. "Ladies and Gentlemen," the pilot announced, "we will soon be landing at Mouse Cult International Airport. For those of you on the right side of the plane, if you look out your window, you will have a great view of Walt Disney World. That big shining globe you see is Spaceship Earth."

Naturally, I was sitting on the left side of the plane. I never seem to choose the right side of the plane to see Disney from the air.

As soon as we landed, I hopped online to see if I could get an ILL for FOP. Success! That's one of my favorite rides, and since I didn't know how busy the parks would be, I wanted to make sure I got to ride it. Cheered by the thought of riding a banshee, I headed downstairs. It took a while to get my luggage, but soon I was out, calling an uber to the beautiful Wilderness Lodge. Getting on the highway was quick, but the uber driver seemed worried. "Uh, my phone says it's going to take us 1.5 hours to get to your resort, ma'am. There's some sort of detour. But I'm sure it will go faster than that. "

Readers, it didn't.

It was Sunday 2/25 and there was a Run Disney event going on. Everyone - resort busses, RVs, cops, Mears, personal cars - everything was being channeled into a single two-lane road. Had I realized how bad it was, I'd have gotten breakfast at the airport and relaxed for an hour before trying to head out. So a warning for you - if you are trying to get from the airport to MK area resorts on a race day, take the later flight. If I'd take the 8:30 am flight, I'd have arrived at the Lodge about the same time as my 6:10 am flight, and maybe gotten more sleep. It was 11:30 before I arrived. Poor uber driver. I gave him a really big cash tip. I felt bad for him for all the other rides he missed while taking me through traffic. Official uber cost MCO-Wilderness Lodge: $42.78 + tip.

Day 1 Part 2: Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom

Newly arrived at the Lodge, my room wasn't ready, so I dropped everything with Luggage Services. I was hungry, and there was a bison burger in my future!

Geyser Point is such a beautiful restaurant/bar. It's all outdoors, looking over Bay Lake, with relaxed sort of arm chairs to lounge in. I've read such good reviews of the bison burger, and it was completely justified. As I took my last sips of my soda, my phone binged. My room was ready!

This was the perfect room - 1020 on the first floor in the wing near the boat dock and the pool, facing the cabins. The room was spacious with plenty of storage for a solo traveler. The king bed was comfortable and the bathroom was positively luxurious. I unpacked, marveling over how pretty the room was. The locations was perfect too. You are 50 yards from the quick service restaurant, only slightly farther from the pool and geyser, and as close to the boat dock as you can get. Best of all, I had a partially-obstructed view of the MK fireworks.

I was nervous about Wilderness Lodge. I've only stayed in one Deluxe before (AKL) when I had gotten a really good deal. The Lodge is expensive! But honestly, it may have spoiled me for any other resort. I really loved it, and want to stay there again in the future.

After unpacking my suitcase and my Instacart order, I headed to the bus stop. Animal Kingdom, here I come!

I arrived at AK about 2 pm, and headed straight to the Nemo show. It seems like most guests like the Lion King better, but I always preferred Nemo. I guess I'm a Nemo heretic lol. This was my first time seeing the show since the pandemic, though, and I was a little shocked. It felt like they had remove somewhere around 4-6 actors. There were fewer creatures swimming through the audience, for example, and the escape was harder to understand if you didn't know the movie. I still enjoyed it, but it's not as good as pre-pandemic.

Next I wandered over to walk on to Dinosaur, then walked onto ITTBAB. The park didn't seem very busy. I usually ropedrop Ak and leave early afternoon. I can now see why people recommend it as a late-afternoon park. Lots of open space to walk and short lines.

Finally it was time for my FOP ILL. I love FOP. I still think it is one of the best and most ground-breaking rides out there. As I walked out, the early morning and lack of sleep started to hit me hard . I grabbed a quick dinner at Satuli Canteen, planning to try for the safari after, but I was just too tired. I headed back to the Lodge.

That evening in the room, I heard a loud bang. I looked out my patio window to realize I could see the MK fireworks. Sitting on my patio, listing to HEA and watching the fireworks - that was the perfect end to a very long day.

I fell asleep moments after I turned out the light.

Following!

I too am a morning person and not great at remembering to take pictures. :wave:

Glad you had a good day after the traffic delays!

Following! I’m enjoying your report. That’s a bummer on the race traffic but it sounds like your day at AK and fireworks view at night made up for it!

Looking forward to hearing all about your adventures!

OMG on the 1.5 hour Uber!! What a nightmare - we were there the same time as you and I was super worried about getting to/from the parks on the marathon days but never would have considered the issue of coming to/from MCO! Thank goodness you weren't heading TO the airport, I am like you and despise being late with every fiber of my being- especially for a plane!!

Can't wait to read more!

Day 2: Brrrr

I woke up at my usual time of 6 am in a soft warm bed. Magic Kingdom Day! I can't wait to start my day with Big Thunder. I grabbed my phone to buy a certain ILL, but checked the weather first, and OMG, it's 39 degrees. Thirty-frickin-nine. It's going to be 43 degrees at rope drop. It's Florida. It's the end of February. It's not supposed to be cold!

I lay there, considering. I could bundle up and go, but a roller coaster is going to be cold no matter how many layers I'm wearing. I should suck it up. I'm on vacation. I've got lunch and dinner reservations. I've got a list of things to do. I've got plans!

Or I could take a deep breath and change the plan.

Ok, Epcot it is. Buy Genie+. Be ready at 7 am to get a GotG BG. Move my lunch reservation to Tuesday. Cancel the dinner reservation. Roll over. Sleep for 2 more hours.

I grabbed a to-go breakfast from Roaring Fork to eat in my room. It is a terrible tragedy that you cannot buy more of those cheese biscuits. They are soooooo good. Like, sneaky good. Like, darned near worth going to the Lodge just to get a biscuit good.

By 10 am (and 50 degrees) I was headed to Epcot.

Between stacking and light attendance, I had an amazing time at the park. I walked into the park and onto Spaceship Earth. Headed to GOTG and found a photographer with no line at the Walt statue. Road GotG - even with the BG it was a 45 minute wait in line. But that ride. Woosh-twisty-woosh! For some reason I thought it was a dark ride with screens, so I was kinda surprised. But it was big fun. Then across the park to Soarin over CA. I now know what everyone means about the orange grove smell. Living with the land x 2, then lunch an Sunshine Seasons. They had a roast chicken with black beans and rice that was reall good. Then I headed into the countries.

I had been unable to get a Remy reservation the whole day, and it kept going down. Just as I crossed the bridge from Canada into France, however, it came up, and I leaped into line. I only waited about 15 minutes. I loved that ride. So cute. And the champagne corks were fun. I got lucky though - the minute I got off the ride, it went down again, and would be down. I felt bad for everyone who hoped to ride that day.

Riding Remy had been one of my goals, so I celebrated with one of my must-gets: the Grand Marnier slushee! It was a 25 minute wait, because it was now nearly 80 degrees (so much for the cold morning!). yet as I walked away with my chilly orange goodness, I spotted a single empty chair tucked in the shade behind a bush. Oh, it's good to be a solo traveler sometimes. It was so nice to sit, slurp and people watch. I gotta admit, there were a surprising number of people in pleather pants at WDW this year. Being 57 means I look at them and think "oh, that must chafe like a mother." I guess I've given up on the Cute Trendy Clothes bus. If they were happy, I'm happy. I'll stick to my casual comfy tshirts, swing dresses, and shorts-with-pockets.

I continued around the world. Watched Matsuriza, which was fun, and wandered the stores. Grabbed a gingerbread cookie to take back to my room at Karamel Kuche and a bottle of wine for the balcony from Italy. Seeing tall the topiaries had been another big goal for my trip, and it was nice to just wander around and look at them all. By 4 pm I'd ridden everything but Test Track, and my feet hurt. Time to head home and play in the pool for awhile. Sadly only 1 on the Lodge hot tubs worked the entire week, but it was nice to soak and chat with other Lodgers.

Dinner was a glass of wine and some charcuterie on the patio, with my gingerbread cookie for desert. I wish I they had Karamel Kuche at home. They have the best stuff! Then another evening of watching the MK firework on the balcony. That is just the nicest way to end the day. It sent me to bed smiling and singing along to HEA.

Next up: the consequences of changing plans

Last edited:
Went you said boom, I thought you were going to say a CM cart hit something.

We have had rooms at BLT and able to see fireworks from the room. Isn’t it the best? See fireworks, be in bed 5 mins later.

For some reason I thought it was a dark ride with screens, so I was kinda surprised. But it was big fun.
That must have been a big surprise! But definitely a fun one! Wine, a Karamel Kuche treat, the hot tub and fireworks sound like the perfect way to end the day. I'm not sure how you could have possibly made that better!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter