Everyone (Adults) Going Through Metal Detectors in the Mahic Kingdom Today

We were there Jan. 16-23. Went through the metal detectors every time before boarding the monorail at the Poly, at the TTC, and at Epcot. It was random at DHS and AK. I have implants in both knees so I mentioned that as I walked through. I was wanded a couple of times at the Poly but everyone else just waived me through.

How sad that our society has come to a point when you can’t go in vacation without having your room searched and going through metal detectors and people look forward to it...
As the old adage is "all because of one person". Sure glad I wasn't in Vegas when that shooter decided to let loose from his hotel room at all the tourists. There were New Yorkers grumbling 3 weeks after 9-1-1 when we went on a Hawaiian cruise and they vamped up security. I have no problem if Disney wants to keep its guests safe from weapons.

A lot of Middle and High schools have students go through metal detectors now days. I remember a time where students had rifles on gun racks in their pickup trucks in the school parking lot and me and a lot of other guys carried a Buck knife in a holster on our belts. Those days are long gone.

DH's knee didn't set off the metal detectors at Universal, or the machine at TSA at the airport.

We have been here since Thursday. Was told every day but today that our kids didn't need to go through metal detector because they were under 14. Security guard today at MK got very upset because we sent them around. I told him that every other guard had told them to so that's why they did it. They weren't doing anything wrong according to every other guard. He got very upset. More upset than he needed to as we sent them right through. He said no one ever should have told them that and they were wrong. We just went through and moved on with our day but it clearly set him off! It was crazy! I don't care if they go through or not but Disney needs to make sure everyone is on the same page.

How sad that our society has come to a point when you can’t go in vacation without having your room searched and going through metal detectors and people look forward to it...

I completely agree. But I also appreciate when companies take it seriously and do everything they can to keep their guests safe.

I have no problem going through the metal detectors, and I also wish they made everyone go through - including children. I try to make it fun for the security guard when they pull me aside and squeal "I won!" Some giggle, some seem annoyed, but I show them I'm not going to complain or make a big commotion over it. I feel bad for security every time I'm there - I see them yelled at every time by someone. I was behind a family one morning when a stroller FULL of stuff. The entire time in line, they were complaining because they were going to miss their breakfast ADR and how ridiculous the lines for security were. They moved over to another line before we got to the security person, but I watched them pitch a fit when the guard asked them to remove the bags from underneath the stroller. They didn't even realize they were part of the problem.

Whatever WDW security is doing, it is working. I feel safe in the parks, and there have been no recent incidents to speak of. I don't see how requiring all guests, all the time, to go through the WTMD would improve that.
There are no recent incidents the public knows about. Not all guests go through the detectors all the time.

We have been here since Thursday. Was told every day but today that our kids didn't need to go through metal detector because they were under 14. Security guard today at MK got very upset because we sent them around. I told him that every other guard had told them to so that's why they did it. They weren't doing anything wrong according to every other guard. He got very upset. More upset than he needed to as we sent them right through. He said no one ever should have told them that and they were wrong. We just went through and moved on with our day but it clearly set him off! It was crazy! I don't care if they go through or not but Disney needs to make sure everyone is on the same page.
I hope you reported that security person as I don't think Disney would like to see the situation handled that way.

I completely agree. But I also appreciate when companies take it seriously and do everything they can to keep their guests safe.

I have no problem going through the metal detectors, and I also wish they made everyone go through - including children. I try to make it fun for the security guard when they pull me aside and squeal "I won!" Some giggle, some seem annoyed, but I show them I'm not going to complain or make a big commotion over it. I feel bad for security every time I'm there - I see them yelled at every time by someone. I was behind a family one morning when a stroller FULL of stuff. The entire time in line, they were complaining because they were going to miss their breakfast ADR and how ridiculous the lines for security were. They moved over to another line before we got to the security person, but I watched them pitch a fit when the guard asked them to remove the bags from underneath the stroller. They didn't even realize they were part of the problem.
I did the same on my last visit. The security guard said I'd been selected for further screening (metal detector) and I responded with, "OOOO! I won!" I mean, I'm no fan of the whole security theater thing, but it's not going away so I might as well make the best of it, right? Besides, those security folks are just doing their jobs. It's certainly no power trip.

Well, if the security keeps my family safe then I don't mind going through the metal detectors. Wasn't it just last year or a few years ago a guy shot himself at Universal? He could have easily used the gun on others but decided to use it on himself.
I feel the same way. Our Six Flags runs everyone through metal detectors and its no big deal. I realize Disney parks have a lot more guests entering at park opening but that just means they need more detectors to accommodate that. In fact in my experience I think the TTC does a great job at pushing the crowds through.

It's all just security theater. All the measures that are actually keeping you safe are also the ones you know little to nothing about.
No actually they are metal detectors, not theater. On the other hand bag checks are theater because if you're not going to check my person then you'll never know if I have weapon stuffed down my crotch or in my cargo short pocket.

Last edited:
No actually they are metal detectors, not theater. On the other hand bag checks are theater because if you're not going to check my person then you'll never know if I have weapon stuffed down my crotch or in my cargo short pocket.

Actually, they just might know even if you don't go through a metal detector. There is a very strong suspicion that Disney is deploying technology similar to that used at airport security checkpoints. The sensors operate like the airport scanners, and will "see" weapons under your clothing or in your pockets.

I agree with a previous poster that just xraying the bags instead of "searching" them would be much more efficient.
In Dec, my camera bags barely got a glance. My daughter-in-law's diaper bag was completely torn apart every time, with those germy gloves all over the baby's bottles, toys and gear.

Actually, they just might know even if you don't go through a metal detector. There is a very strong suspicion that Disney is deploying technology similar to that used at airport security checkpoints. The sensors operate like the airport scanners, and will "see" weapons under your clothing or in your pockets.

I wasn't aware that kind of technology even existed, but if so I'd be encouraged if they did use it.

No, it's theater because the people that really want to cause havoc are already working on ways to get around the known security measures. After all, those measures only look for what has already been used. Like I said earlier, the measure that are really keeping you safe are the ones you don't see.

We were there at Thanksgiving and generally boarded the monorail at the Polynesian (stayed at Shades of Green). Other than my 13-year-old and six-year-old, we all went through the detectors every time.

How do you even not go through the metal detectors? Staying onsite so taking resort bus, been to MK three times, and there is no option other than going through. Been to Epcot twice, same thing.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's only a good thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter