Expedition Everest Challenge May 5 @ 9:30 2012

I'm in for EEC this year! After running the half and relay during marathon weekend, I'm excited for another Disney race! I will be traveling solo, but meeting up with friends once I'm in the world.

The group that I travel with is planning on being there over the weekend of the EEC. At least two couples and a single have already signed up. I'm looking forward to doing it as well. Just need to see if I am going to do it as a single, try to convince my DP to do it, or pair up with another single. hmmmmm :scratchin

You need a special ticket for the after party. If youa re signed up for the race you will get it with your registration. If you have someone in your party that is not racing - you willl need to purchase them an after party ticket.

So if you are going to visit a park that day you will need to use your reguar park passes for that and a different one for the after party. So your regular passes are seperate from the party and you can go to any park you want on that day.

Does that make sense?? lol

Thanks Wakica! Yes, that does make sense! So we do not need regular park tickets for the party, just party tickets! :thumbsup2

Just booked our vacation package yesterday...now off to register for the race!! :banana:

I haven't officially registered yet, but its my plan to do this!!
Not a team, doing it solo - so if anyone wants to hang out and have a DIS group, I am in!

One question - it lists HOST resorts....what if you are not staying at one...they will still have transportation, right?

I haven't officially registered yet, but its my plan to do this!!
Not a team, doing it solo - so if anyone wants to hang out and have a DIS group, I am in!

One question - it lists HOST resorts....what if you are not staying at one...they will still have transportation, right?

My understanding is there will only be transportation from the host resorts. Since AK will be closed when the race starts, there won't be regular buses to the start and there definitely won't be buses afterwards. I've heard people say you can take a cab to/from the start.

My sister and I are doing this as our first ever 5K !!!! I am so excited, it is on my to do list before I turn 40 (on May 13th):goodvibes

Headin to the treadmill.....

I haven't registered yet - need to take a good look at the budget before making a final decision - but my 9yo son and I are thinking we'll do this one as a team! :yay:

Changed my resort to one of the Host Resorts this morning and booked it (same price, so I was ok with that).
I must go register now and try to find some cheap flights!
My bosses (yes, I have many, but they aren't really the ones I report to) travel all over the place, I wish I could get them to donate some miles to me! :lmao:

HEY ALL :) I have a pretrip report going and i just added our itinerary - what days we'll be in what parks and whatnot. Hope some of you going the same time as me will check it out - maybe we'll be in the same parks some days and run into each other :) :) I will also post my touring plans for each park closer to the trip too. My link is just below by my signature. If you do stop by be a dear and leave me some comments. I'm starting to feel like I\m talking to myself!!:rotfl:

hope to see some of you there :)

I'm going to try to convince DFi to run this with me!!

I'm a newbie runner and he is NOT a runner but I think we'd have a blast!

I am hoping to run this with DS (9). We are just waiting a couple more weeks to make sure that the finances are in order.

I am hoping to run this with DS (9). We are just waiting a couple more weeks to make sure that the finances are in order.

Oh good, I won't be the only one trying this with a youngster! Between my DS9 and me, I'm the faster runner, but he's far more adept at solving clues. ;)

I'll be running this race with my DW. Do you have to finish the 5K together? I'm much faster and she hates when I run with her.

I'm in. I just registered the other day, purchased my airfare and booked my stay at OKW, however I did wait list a room at AKL.

I am very jealous of all of you racing this event this year. I ran it both of the past two years (11th in my division two years ago and actually managed 3rd in my division last year) and it is by far my favorite running event. I am very disappointed not to be going this year, but with an eleven night trip/7 night Alaskan cruise just two weeks later, the finances and the time off from work just won't let me go (and really, I can't complain about a DCL Alaska trip instead of sweating all night).

But, I wanted to join the thread and answer any questions anyone has. Since I can't run it (and beat you all :joker:...), I can at least be helpful.

The most recent unanswered question: Can my partner and I run at different times? - No. You and your partner must finish the 5K portion of the race at the same time. If one runner is faster, you could technically run all the way until just before the finish line and wait for your partner, but you can't cross the line until both members are there. You must complete the entire event as a team.

If anyone has other questions about the past two years, I am happy to help. Obviously, I have no idea about changes for this year's events, but I can try based on the past.

I've done several Disney Half Marathons but this will be my first EE. I was curious if they are any benefits to having a teammate over solo?

Thanks

I've done several Disney Half Marathons but this will be my first EE. I was curious if they are any benefits to having a teammate over solo?

Thanks

From my own experiences only, there are pros and cons to both. Although each division does start in their own wave so the 5K part of the course is equally crowded for all but the fastest runners, individuals have always been the first wave, so the scavenger hunt part of the course is less crowded for them than individuals. That also means they tend to finish the whole things first and are first to get in lines for rides and the party is less crowded/chaotic for up to 30 min until the other waves catch up.

However, if you get stumped on any of the scavenger hunt stuff, being with a team mate is a great help. Two minds are better than one, and individuals are specifically told not to help each other. So having a teammate figure things out with you can be a real help. That also can hold for the running parts. If your partner is slightly faster, or they motivate you, you could end up with a better time trying to keep up (my case the second time around. I was exhausted afterwards, but trying to keep up with my partner made me get a new PR time).

I also wanted to add that for those nervous about being new to running, don't let me scare you. I had only been running for 3 months (C25K myself) before the first run and my fastest ever 5K time is still over 30 min. Being DISBoard folks, being park veterans, honestly that will help you in this event as much as any running ability. I made up all sorts of time in the scavenger hunt just by knowing the layout of the park. Not needing to consult a map to know which way to get to "Africa" was huge. So, if you want to do well, don't just practice running, but know the layout of the park.

Hi everyone, I'm a fairly new runner (just finished week 7 of C25K), and this will be our first Disney race! I'll be running it with my 12yo DS. We're both so excited. Me, because I love Disney, my son, however, wants to ride Everest at night. :scared1:

Hi! Joining the thread. My DH and I are registered. He is not a runner (he better start soon :goodvibes) and I did the Wine & Dine Half this past October. I am really looking forward to this!

Michele

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter