• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FAFSA questions

Eh, I don't so much believe in the concept of college-as-sole-mate. Lots of excellent schools exist, and any college should challenge students. For most majors, you can get an excellent education at a variety of schools -- many of them with reasonable prices.

My kid is not neurotypical and needs small class sizes and special services to succeed at college - but bright - very bright. There are several colleges that are a good fit. But none of them are schools for which I could pay State tuition.

My kid is not neurotypical and needs small class sizes and special services to succeed at college - but bright - very bright. There are several colleges that are a good fit. But none of them are schools for which I could pay State tuition.
My sophomore in college DS has autism. I had always pictured him at a small, private college. Both DH and I went that route (and we didn't have the challenges of autism). However, he is doing really well at our mid-size state school. I had no idea they offered a rigorous honors program with lots of personal guidance and attention. He definitely would not have done well had he just been one of the masses, but the particular program he's in fits him well. Bonus, his tuition and fees are fully covered because of his academic performance.

All that to say, for anyone in a similar situation, it may be worth it to see what kind of programming state schools offer. They've gotten more competitive for the top level academic students than they were when I graduated from high school almost 25 years ago.

@crisi I'm glad you have found a good fit for your child. Being the parent of a non-neurotypical kid comes with a lot of extras in life!

She's been saying one thing for YEARS, then suddenly she's excited about something else? I'd want to know more about her thought process before I'd be too worried about FAFSA. Not saying she hasn't genuinely changed her mind, but this sudden 180 would make me want answers -- if it were my money she'd be spending.
Agree. Work study is going to pay minimum wage, while most college students can find other jobs in the area that'll pay more. However, perhaps just being argumentative, I loved my work study job: the hours were incredibly flexible, I didn't need to dress up, I didn't need transportation off campus, and I didn't work over breaks.
Of course, I was so poor in college that I always had at least one other job as well.
My oldest is a nurse -- she's been out of school four years now. LOADS of scholarships are available for nursing -- not grants or need-based stuff, but academic scholarships.

On the other side of that coin, nursing school nickle-and-dimes you. It's an expensive major: $90 for very specific scrubs embroidered with the school name (totally ridiculous 'cause now that she's actually out in the world working scrubs are super-cheap and last forever), lab coat in addition to the scrubs, stethoscope and oximeter and several other gadgets you wouldn't expect to buy, parking pass for this hospital, $5 for ID card for the nursing home, background check, drug tests. So many little things here and there -- totally worth it, of course, but it was always something with nursing school.
Eh, I don't so much believe in the concept of college-as-sole-mate. Lots of excellent schools exist, and any college should challenge students. For most majors, you can get an excellent education at a variety of schools -- many of them with reasonable prices.
Good analogy.
Oh, my goodness, this is SO TRUE that I wouldn't have even thought to say it. Yes, ALWAYS be honest on these forms.
Yes, you are not a foul human being if you're not willing to fund an 18-year old's dream college experience.
This doesn't matter to me even one whit. I lived -- very happily -- in a rathole of a dorm, but when I think back to college I don't really remember going down the hall to use the rest room or the elevators that broke constantly. I remember the people. I remember going to the cafeteria together, sledding in the snow, going out to clubs, and just sitting around in the commons area. I would be very happy for my kids to have the same experience -- and I didn't save for years and years so they could have a fancy dorm. Clean and safe matter. "Upscale" doesn't.
I lived on the top floor of an old dorm with no a/c and hallway bathrooms for 4 years and lived every minute. I don’t agree every school is equal though. My oldest were business majors and went to the 2 top ranked in state public universities in our state. They could’ve gone to lower ranked less expensive in state public schools, but most likely wouldn’t have had employment opportunities with great starting salaries that they ended up with. With some other majors it wouldn’t have mattered as much.

My sophomore in college DS has autism. I had always pictured him at a small, private college. Both DH and I went that route (and we didn't have the challenges of autism). However, he is doing really well at our mid-size state school. I had no idea they offered a rigorous honors program with lots of personal guidance and attention. He definitely would not have done well had he just been one of the masses, but the particular program he's in fits him well. Bonus, his tuition and fees are fully covered because of his academic performance.

All that to say, for anyone in a similar situation, it may be worth it to see what kind of programming state schools offer. They've gotten more competitive for the top level academic students than they were when I graduated from high school almost 25 years ago.

@crisi I'm glad you have found a good fit for your child. Being the parent of a non-neurotypical kid comes with a lot of extras in life!

Unfortunately the combination of very bright and non neurotypical did not go into the blender and come out with top level academic performance for mine. :) Because non-neurotypical is extreme inattentive ADHD along with anxiety and depression. Oh, and a physical heart condition that makes their heart race, which triggers the anxiety response.

Unfortunately the combination of very bright and non neurotypical did not go into the blender and come out with top level academic performance for mine. :) Because non-neurotypical is extreme inattentive ADHD along with anxiety and depression. Oh, and a physical heart condition that makes their heart race, which triggers the anxiety response.
I'm so thankful we live in a time with resources for our kids. It's not easy, and sometimes we have to fight for them, but they have bright futures ahead of them. Blessings to you!

Another one with a non-neurotypical college student here. My DS23 has Aspergers, anxiety, depression, and a couple learning disabilities. In a room full of introverts, he'd be the most introverted. He did fine at the local community college (going at his own pace), and is in his first semester at the local branch of State U. So far, so good--he's doing well, and even found a club he likes (Political Science/Criminology). Campus is only 2 miles away, not that he's going there. But, the pandemic is actually giving him a chance to ease into things.

Of course, DD17 is gaining on him, quickly. But, she's neurotypical, and very smart--college is a whole different calculus for her.

Maybe all states aren't the same, but in my state we have several small public schools (as in 4000 or fewer students).

Consider, too, that many universities are offering school-within-a-school programs:
- For example, the large university my daughters attended has an excellent program that houses 200 freshmen and 200 sophomores in one big dorm /set apart from the rest of the campus. They take about half of their basic classes together in their dorm, eat lunch together in their dorm twice a week, and hold socials and community service events for that small group.
- The biggest university in our state has as similar program, but it's aimed at students who are unsure of what they want to study.

Maybe all states aren't the same, but in my state we have several small public schools (as in 4000 or fewer students).

Consider, too, that many universities are offering school-within-a-school programs:
- For example, the large university my daughters attended has an excellent program that houses 200 freshmen and 200 sophomores in one big dorm /set apart from the rest of the campus. They take about half of their basic classes together in their dorm, eat lunch together in their dorm twice a week, and hold socials and community service events for that small group.
- The biggest university in our state has as similar program, but it's aimed at students who are unsure of what they want to study.

I suspect we have similar, but honestly, we didn't look. We wanted - and they wanted - an SPLAC, and we had saved for that since before we had kids. We saved for my son as well, but he wanted trade school - and had my youngest wanted a State College, I wouldn't have said no - but they wanted to leave the region. As I said, you can stay offsite and have a great Disney vacation, or you can stay at the Poly - when college was concerned, we prioritized the experience of the Poly.

Just filled this out for DD (first one headed to college) and I feel way poorer than I look on paper (most of my FAFSA assets are in 529s). I'm a single mom and custodial parent, but I don't expect any aid in-state. DD is applying to a few schols out of state, but we have two very good engineering programs in state so my guess is she'll stay in Virginia.

I have appreciated the conversation. Her first choice right now is somewhat of a safety (at least on paper) but I know nothing about merit aid. And she is a College Board National Recogniton scholar which sometimes seems to correlate with merit scholarships at certain universities, but the information is somewhat spotty.

Just filled this out for DD (first one headed to college) and I feel way poorer than I look on paper (most of my FAFSA assets are in 529s). I'm a single mom and custodial parent, but I don't expect any aid in-state. DD is applying to a few schols out of state, but we have two very good engineering programs in state so my guess is she'll stay in Virginia.

I have appreciated the conversation. Her first choice right now is somewhat of a safety (at least on paper) but I know nothing about merit aid. And she is a College Board National Recogniton scholar which sometimes seems to correlate with merit scholarships at certain universities, but the information is somewhat spotty.
It is the first step that could get you a lot of money, a lot of loans, or nothing. No way to tell.
My son got nothing but loans from FAFSA, but got $10,000 a year award because his private University had just gotten a $100 million dollar donation to their endowment that they had to spend down!

When I was at the same University 40 years ago the Fundraising Vice President had some 85 year old woman who wanted to give $50,000 to the basketball team so "the boys could have filet mignon for dinner" on game nights. His job was to get her approval to spend any leftover money on general academic scholarships. She said yes, not realizing that filet mignon was only going to cost about $2,000 ! She was apparently a hard core basketball fan. Amazing the money people will donate to schools

It is the first step that could get you a lot of money, a lot of loans, or nothing. No way to tell.
My son got nothing but loans from FAFSA, but got $10,000 a year award because his private University had just gotten a $100 million dollar donation to their endowment that they had to spend down!

When I was at the same University 40 years ago the Fundraising Vice President had some 85 year old woman who wanted to give $50,000 to the basketball team so "the boys could have filet mignon for dinner" on game nights. His job was to get her approval to spend any leftover money on general academic scholarships. She said yes, not realizing that filet mignon was only going to cost about $2,000 ! She was apparently a hard core basketball fan. Amazing the money people will donate to schools
I find expecting nothing is typically the key to my happiness, so I'm okay with that outcome. My ex and I saved since our kids were babies so they could graduate (from in-state public schools) debt free.

I find expecting nothing is typically the key to my happiness, so I'm okay with that outcome. My ex and I saved since our kids were babies so they could graduate (from in-state public schools) debt free.
We did too. And one Grandparent kicked in $1000 per kid per year for Christmas and Birthdays.

We did too. And one Grandparent kicked in $1000 per kid per year for Christmas and Birthdays.
Yes--my parents are giving each of their eight grand kids a certain amount which should cover about two years of room and board. I hope I can do that for my grandchildren:)

I'm going to be completing the FAFSA for the first time this weekend. In looking over the form, the only thing I think have a question about is Line 92 - untaxed income. If I understand correctly, I will need to include contributions I made to my 401(k) last year. It also mentions something about a health savings account. Also include the untaxed portions of health savings accounts. I don't have a "health savings account", but I do have healthcare premiums taken out of my paycheck that are NOT taxed. I don't think I include that, right?

I'm going to be completing the FAFSA for the first time this weekend. In looking over the form, the only thing I think have a question about is Line 92 - untaxed income. If I understand correctly, I will need to include contributions I made to my 401(k) last year. It also mentions something about a health savings account. Also include the untaxed portions of health savings accounts. I don't have a "health savings account", but I do have healthcare premiums taken out of my paycheck that are NOT taxed. I don't think I include that, right?
This is a good question. Honestly, I missed this. It's specific to HSAs, so I think you are fine. I do max out my HSA so I guess I need to report that. I'm also confused because in 2019 I was a W-2 employee for 3 months and a k-1 "employee" for 9 months so I don't know whether or not I have to take out my 401k contributions when I was a k-1 "employee." I did record my contributions as a w-2 employee. Then I need my parents to tell me how they have my kids' college funds--I don't think they are in 529s. I think they are just in Vanguard accounts with both my kids' names and my dad's name. I think it would be better if they had my name on the account instead of the kids so I'm trying to figure this out. But again, I don't expect to receive any aid unless dd goes out of state. Just want to do this properly.

Hi, New to the budget board, but have enjoyed many threads here. Not sure if this topic fits here, but I have a few questions about FAFSA, and how one's mortgage or home equity is counted, or if it is counted. I'm working hard to put extra money on our mortgage, to hopefully pay off early, but will that work against us on FAFSA considerations? We have a junior, and do not have much of a college fund at this point, not much at all....so, working on that as best we can. Plan to take advantage of our in state programs, and hoping she'll be planning to stay in state, state school, and working, but either way, we'll be utilizing FAFSA. I'm wondering if I should keep paying extra on the mortgage, or put towards something else? Most of my friends either have kids who went to college many years back, FAFSA was much different then, or have younger kids like ours now, so not a lot of experience with how it is currently. Any advice?

I work for a college access program. Don't discount private schools. In our state students are getting more aid from private schools then most state schools which makes them cheaper. It is worth applying to all different kinds of schools and then look at the awards letters from each school to see which one you will pay less out of pocket.

Done with 2 FAFSA today. How I dread them.
The new accountant for 2019 flubbed our refund and DDs; so I could not use the retrieve IRS tool. The new accountant already moved on to a new job.
So I probably terrorized the brand new acct today-sorry dude. He was a champ.

I am waiting for the IRS to email us back. I did the IRS retrieval from the FAFSA site. I’m hoping that was the right thing to do. Have to wait 1-3 days.

I am waiting for the IRS to email us back. I did the IRS retrieval from the FAFSA site. I’m hoping that was the right thing to do. Have to wait 1-3 days.

I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong here, but you can still move on with the application online even after requesting IRS retrieval. The IRS part will take 1-3 days, but you can still finish up the form online. That was my experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter