feeling like an oddball in LANCASTER,PA

newsiegirl said:
Did you know they changed their fries? They are not nearly as good as the old ones, but it's a great place to go. There is a diner in Lancaster City named Neptune's Diner, and they have the old Jennie's fries! Yummy! Now I'm getting hungry!

We love the Neptune Diner.

First- maridisney,
I know Bucks County is a big place where are you from, we are right near New Hope and Doylestown.

Second- Disney is not my religion, (and I do consider myself to be somewhat religious) but Disney is something my DH and I enjoy very much. We/I have been to many places- Jamaica,Cancun,Bahamas(Spelling??)The Jersey Shore all the time, and many other places. Neither of us went to disney as kids, and we enjoy spending time together at WDW. We do not have kids as of now and I hope someday we will be able to share our enjoyment about WDW with them oneday.

Third- I know many of us list all the trips we have taken to WDW on our posts, I never even thought to list all my other vacations on this site as it is a DISNEY site.

My DH, DS and DD are originallly from Michigan. We moved to the Gulf Coast of FL 3 years ago. Here's what truly amazes me.........must people I have met that are true Floridians have never even been to Disney!!! Now I think that is crazy!!! We took every family vacation at WDW while we lived in MI and have continued the tradition since we have moved to FL. (We have been 4 times in the last 12 months!) So Ihear a lot of "Are you going over there again??" I always smile and tell them they have no idea what they are missing. It is as magical as it has always been for DS (16) and DD (10), they never tire of it and always look forward to the next time we are going. AAMOF they act like it's the first time every time we go! :earsboy:

loriandmatt said:
love the Green Dragon

Yikes... I go to Lancaster all the time and I can't figure out where the Green Dragon is. I have been wanting to go for years because I have heard good things about it. Could you please tell me how to get there?
We usually stay around Bird in Hand.
Thanks!

don't let yr friends in on it, but bring them to a DISMEET! :rotfl2:
Have a great time & perhaps they will let some of the magic rub off on them or perhaps they will understand that they just don't 'get it' :rotfl:
Love Lancaster! Up there this summer. Stayed at the Cedar Hill B&B over in Mt Joy--superb!

Jean

Wow! We love Willow Valley! We've been going there for more than twenty-five years! I have precious photos of my girls at that pond, feeding the ducks from our fifty-cent bag of bread pieces from the bakery. Those girls are all now in their mid twenties! My oldest DD26 lives in south Philly now, and teaches in Christian school there.

We are Christians, born again and almost as old-fashioned as those Amish (lol)...my husband pastors a baptist church...and we LOVE Disney! Worship is so the wrong word for it. Disney is the magic of childhood, and if your childhood wasn't so great, you are creating your own each time you go! Now, when can we go back? lol :rotfl:

OP: I live south of you in Montgomery County, PA and I expect I get the "AGAIN" from the opposite end of the spectrum - lots of very liberal types (many of whom are my very best friends and two of whom I'm taking with me to WDW in December after mucho arm twisting), who pride themselves on NOT going to WDW. I laugh so much about their attitudes that have come to the point where they at least get that I have no problem vacationing at the Land of the Sacred Mouse (I am, btw, an ordained Lutheran minister and practicing as such), so they've all capitulated and instead of fighting it, they ask, "Soooo when's the next trip!"

BTW - I go to lots of real places, NYC, Bermuda, and even OK!

:sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

jonestavern said:
don't let yr friends in on it, but bring them to a DISMEET! :rotfl2:
Have a great time & perhaps they will let some of the magic rub off on them or perhaps they will understand that they just don't 'get it' :rotfl:
Love Lancaster! Up there this summer. Stayed at the Cedar Hill B&B over in Mt Joy--superb!

Jean

I am really gonna give my location now :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc we live about three miles from there :goodvibes

newsiegirl said:
Did you know they changed their fries? They are not nearly as good as the old ones, but it's a great place to go. There is a diner in Lancaster City named Neptune's Diner, and they have the old Jennie's fries! Yummy! Now I'm getting hungry!

Love Jennie's and the Neptune diner :)

the only thing is that smoking really gets to me unfortunately :confused3 I get headaches and start coughing. would not wish this situation on anyone. So when we go to the Neptune, we run to the back. Haven't been to Jennie's in a very long time.

The Shipmans From Happy Valley - Nittany Lion Country

Hey - I grew up in Happy Valley!!! I LOVE that part of the state! :goodvibes I went to State College HS, but my parents moved after graduation. My ds (14yo) has been up to the last few games and has become a total PSU fan! :cheer2: (we actually lived across the street from Joe-pa growing up! :cool1: )

I am so sorry to hear that you think we are all narrow-minded. I am spiritual, though I do not go to church, but that is beside the point. Vacations are about spending time with your family and relaxing and having fun. I have traveled the world, and I have seen many wonderful places and things...I have snorkled in the Bahamas, walked through castles in the English countryside, skiied the Rockies, and surfed in Hawaii. I have also driven all over this great country of ours, and I have seen first-hand the beauty of it from the Arizona desert to the rolling hills of the Smoky Mountains.

I have, in my travels, also seen evidence of some of the horrific things for which mankind is responsible for. In Hawaii I saw the sunken ruins of Pearl Harbor. In Germany I saw a giant bell left on the floor of its belltower where it crashed after a church was bombed by American troups during WWII. I have seen the Vietnam Memorial in Washington DC. All of these trips were meaningful to me and very eye-opening, but that type of experience is not always what people want out of their precious vacation time.

Which brings me back to Disney. Walt Disney World is a shining example of how happy human beings can make each other. It began with one man's dream to create a place where families could have fun together, and that is still what it is today. My parents began taking me to Disneyland when I was three years old. I have such fond memories of those early trips...I remember swimming in the pool with my Dad, eating dinner at the Blue Bayou & planning out our next day, sharing a bed with my older sister & watching the Main Street Electrical parade on my Dad's shoulders. In two weeks I will be taking my own daughter for her first trip. All four of her grandparents will be coming, as well. This trip is all about her, and I know that no matter what we do, it will be special because she will be with her family, having fun.

The magic that we all feel about Disney comes from many things: memories of youth, feelings of total escapism from a world that is all too often cruel and disappointing, going somewhere where everyone greets you with a warm smile for a change, being with family and friends and making memories that will last a lifetime. Of course, there are many other places on Earth worth visiting and I plan to continue that exploration with my family, but for all these reasons and more, Disney remains a place for me that is worth going back to again and again. In the meantime, keeping in touch with like-minded people who also love Disney and "get it" helps me keep a little bit of that happy magic in my everyday life.

Thanks for reading this...hope you get a little Disney magic of your own.

MickeyCrazed said:
Yikes... I go to Lancaster all the time and I can't figure out where the Green Dragon is. I have been wanting to go for years because I have heard good things about it. Could you please tell me how to get there?
We usually stay around Bird in Hand.
Thanks!

Green Dragon might not be around much longer. The land is being sold. I haven't been there in a few years. Actually Roots Market is nicer and they have a larger variety of things.

deba said:
Wow! We love Willow Valley! We've been going there for more than twenty-five years! I have precious photos of my girls at that pond, feeding the ducks from our fifty-cent bag of bread pieces from the bakery. Those girls are all now in their mid twenties! My oldest DD26 lives in south Philly now, and teaches in Christian school there.

We are Christians, born again and almost as old-fashioned as those Amish (lol)...my husband pastors a baptist church...and we LOVE Disney! Worship is so the wrong word for it. Disney is the magic of childhood, and if your childhood wasn't so great, you are creating your own each time you go! Now, when can we go back? lol :rotfl:

Hello! Thanks for writing. We have way too much in common :earsboy: . We live about five minutes from Willow Valley. I occasionally walk around the lake in the afternoon, before I go to work. They still sell the duck food and the ducks still love it.
I graduated from Phila. College of Bible...MANY years ago. It used to be located in center city Phila. Then moved to Langhorne.
Just noticed you just got back from a Disney trip. Hope you had a good time. We went in Sept. 2004 and enjoyed Nights of Joy. Saw Michael W. Smith right in front of The Castle. What a night!!!!!
It was very nice to meet you. Hope to talk with you again!!! ::MinnieMo . Deb

BlondeAlligator said:
I am so sorry to hear that you think we are all narrow-minded. I am spiritual, though I do not go to church, but that is beside the point. Vacations are about spending time with your family and relaxing and having fun. I have traveled the world, and I have seen many wonderful places and things...I have snorkled in the Bahamas, walked through castles in the English countryside, skiied the Rockies, and surfed in Hawaii. I have also driven all over this great country of ours, and I have seen first-hand the beauty of it from the Arizona desert to the rolling hills of the Smoky Mountains.

I have, in my travels, also seen evidence of some of the horrific things for which mankind is responsible for. In Hawaii I saw the sunken ruins of Pearl Harbor. In Germany I saw a giant bell left on the floor of its belltower where it crashed after a church was bombed by American troups during WWII. I have seen the Vietnam Memorial in Washington DC. All of these trips were meaningful to me and very eye-opening, but that type of experience is not always what people want out of their precious vacation time.

Which brings me back to Disney. Walt Disney World is a shining example of how happy human beings can make each other. It began with one man's dream to create a place where families could have fun together, and that is still what it is today. My parents began taking me to Disneyland when I was three years old. I have such fond memories of those early trips...I remember swimming in the pool with my Dad, eating dinner at the Blue Bayou & planning out our next day, sharing a bed with my older sister & watching the Main Street Electrical parade on my Dad's shoulders. In two weeks I will be taking my own daughter for her first trip. All four of her grandparents will be coming, as well. This trip is all about her, and I know that no matter what we do, it will be special because she will be with her family, having fun.

The magic that we all feel about Disney comes from many things: memories of youth, feelings of total escapism from a world that is all too often cruel and disappointing, going somewhere where everyone greets you with a warm smile for a change, being with family and friends and making memories that will last a lifetime. Of course, there are many other places on Earth worth visiting and I plan to continue that exploration with my family, but for all these reasons and more, Disney remains a place for me that is worth going back to again and again. In the meantime, keeping in touch with like-minded people who also love Disney and "get it" helps me keep a little bit of that happy magic in my everyday life.

Wow! Blond Alligator, that was way more then "well said" that was incredibly said!!! :rose:

BlondeAlligator said:

Dear BlondeAlligator,
I couln't have said it better myself. Have a great time with your family at WDW! Deb

newsiegirl said:
Oooooh, what restaraunt? My family loves Diener's, Hershey Farm, and we're about 2 minutes away from Willow Valley! Another great place is Jennie's Diner. It' not really a Penn. Dutch restaraunt, but they've got great "good old country cookin!" :banana:

Haven't tried there, but just put it on my list.

We LOVE LOVE LOVE Good & Plenty...and we used to love Zinn's before they changed owners.

hallie615 said:
First- maridisney,
I know Bucks County is a big place where are you from, we are right near New Hope and Doylestown.

Sounds as if we're neighbors. We live in Warrintong. :wave2:

MariDisney, Closer than you think Jamison. When I usually saw Jamison nobody has ever heard of it.

TTA Deb said:
Hello! Thanks for writing. We have way too much in common :earsboy: . We live about five minutes from Willow Valley. I occasionally walk around the lake in the afternoon, before I go to work. They still sell the duck food and the ducks still love it.
I graduated from Phila. College of Bible...MANY years ago. It used to be located in center city Phila. Then moved to Langhorne.
Just noticed you just got back from a Disney trip. Hope you had a good time. We went in Sept. 2004 and enjoyed Nights of Joy. Saw Michael W. Smith right in front of The Castle. What a night!!!!!
It was very nice to meet you. Hope to talk with you again!!! ::MinnieMo . Deb

Hey, maybe we can meet at Willow Valley for lunch sometime! We still usually manage to spend a night or two there off season, when they run those good postcard and email specials. It is our 'not-too-far-away-place-to-relax'; we are about three hours away. And now it can serve as a meet up place for our DD. I miss her terribly, even though we speak on the phone several times a day and see each other often. :hug:

We had a wonderful time at Disney! We were a group of eight (yes, my Philly daughter got to go...hooray!), and this was our first trip after purchasing DVC. We stayed in a two bedroom at OKW and it exceeded our expectations! I'm still in withdraw! :goodvibes

So nice to meet you, Deb! :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter