First DisneyLAND trip! Tips and tricks?

laurrbangs

Earning My Ears
I'm in the very beginning stages of planning my very first Disneyland trip with my best friend. We are almost Disney World pros, we try to get down annually, but we're finally looking to hit up the Golden Coast. I've noticed a few differences between resorts not just size, but FP+ details and airport transportation to name the big ones for me.
I was hoping you magical folks could give me a few pointers as to how to navigate these differences and what your favorite tips and tricks are!
Thank you in advance!
:flower1:

I'm in the very beginning stages of planning my very first Disneyland trip with my best friend. We are almost Disney World pros, we try to get down annually, but we're finally looking to hit up the Golden Coast. I've noticed a few differences between resorts not just size, but FP+ details and airport transportation to name the big ones for me.
I was hoping you magical folks could give me a few pointers as to how to navigate these differences and what your favorite tips and tricks are!
Thank you in advance!
:flower1:

You might want to post this on the Disneyland board.

https://www.disboards.com/forums/disneyland-california.26/

What are your trip dates? This can make a big difference at DLR.
For your trip planning:
This sticky thread from the top of the first page has TONS of great information for you: * DLR Info/Links - Maps, Hotels, DISer Reviews, Hydroguy's tips, NEWBIE INFO here!. Start researching there.
From that sticky:
A DLR Guide for WDW Vets -- a classic thread! Pre-SWGE, but still has so much helpful info!
HydroGuy Tips Compilation -- a gold mine of great threads with super helpful info!
From the above thread:
"HydroGuy's Hotel Rule" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199862
"Choosing the Right DLR Area Hotel for You" www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/ -- at DLR it isn't about on site or off site -- it's all about location, location, location!
"Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information" by @3TinksAndAnEeyore www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2318297 -- ask any questions about airports and transportation here!
"Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy" by @Skyegirl1999 - www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/ -- ask all FP/MP questions here -- you'll get great help from our resident experts!

Airport transportation: We use Lyft/Uber. From the local airports, the prices are approximately: LAX $60-80, BUR $60-80, ONT $50-60, SNA $30, LGB $30. Prices are one way, and are affected by surge pricing as applicable.

We do not have FP+. We have 2 versions of our FP system, both done same-day. Option 1 is free, and that's the Legacy FP like WDW had pre-Magic Bands. You go to the kiosk, put your ticket in, and a FP prints out (really, juat a reminder). Our other option is Max Pass for $15/day. This allows you to make FP reservations on your phone; no running to kiosks!

We just got back from our first Disneyland trip after going to Disney World many times. I was so nervous about it, but we loved it. It is much more of a relaxed experience vs Disney World. I really like the Max Pass concept - booking fast passes after park entry as opposed to months in advance. I read some of the pinned posts on here and also read up on it on the Disneyland Daily blog. It was super easy to use. I loved how close everything was - we stayed at the Grand Californian, and you can't beat the park access - it was nice not to have to uber or get on a bus to park hop or run back to the room for something. And, the weather even on "hot" day in California was miles better than Florida. There were a few things I missed about Disney World, Expedition Everest and Seven Dwarf Mine Train, being two of them. But then found I loved the Guardians of the Galaxy ride so much more than I thought I would, didn't even miss the Tower of Terror story. I also liked Radiator Springs vs. Test Track - Cars Land is so well done. It did take me a while to figure out where things were - I'm not so good with maps, apparently. I just know where things are and it took me a day or so to get my bearings and got turned around a few times. I did miss the magic bands, they are so convenient, but we didn't have any problems using the tickets/room keys.

One thing I didn't realize until I got there was that Max Pass includes your photos from rides and the Photo Pass photographers. It seemed like there are fewer rides that take a photo at DL vs. WDW and fewer photographers. One tip is to have your camera ready and take a picture of your ride photo and the number on the photo - you will need to link that in your app to get your pictures.

Also we used Lyft/Uber to get there from our hotel in LA when we arrived at Disney and then on departure to the airport (SNA). The prices listed above in the previous post were right on par with what we experienced.

I think one important thing to keep in mind is that the footprint of the parks is pretty small, and that makes them much more manageable. It is SUPER easy to hop between parks, even multiple times throughout the day. If you have a MaxPass, you are able to realistically book FP for a ride in California Adventure while in Disneyland and vice versa. Last year, we left Disneyland just to go ride Guardians using a FP, then went right back to Disneyland! Don't get me wrong, you'll still walk a lot but every attraction truly is at your fingertips and can be done without focusing on just one park (though, of course you can choose to do that as well if that is more your style!).

You do not have to mega plan for DLR like you do WDW. As you are a WDW pro, it can be a shock. But a very pleasant one.

Everything is walkable. No Disney busses. Hallelujah!

Get a Uber/Lyft from the airport. They have other shuttles, but for convenience and cost we like Uber.

No FP+ (can I get a AMEN!). It is the old FP system, but even better with MaxPass. You can get FP from your phone instead of going to FP kiosk!

You've been given excellent advice upthread.

I'll throw in my own tip and one that served us well on our 1st trip to WDW. We thought it'd be our only trip so we wanted to make it count. We've been back since and it still works as far as getting done what we really want to do. Take a look at the rides. Compare WDW rides to DL rides; Which are only at DL? Which are different at DL? Which are your 'must dos' and which are your 'meh, whatevers'? Then make a list and prioritize it. I prioritized the 'only at WDW', then the 'different at WDW' rides and it helped us use our time efficiently. You could do the same for shows and fireworks. I'm not a show person so other than Illuminations, I didn't bother.

And prepare for crowds. Put on your happy face, relax, and go with the flow. DL as a rule veers from 'gee, it's crowded' to 'holy smokes I can't move'. There really isn't an 'off season' anymore. Partially because it's set in such an 'easy to get to' urban area and part because it's was built on a smaller scale and not with the wide walkways and spaces that WDW is. By contrast, WDW was (or seemed) relatively uncrowded when we were there, other than Pandora and Toy Story Land.

We’ve started using Lansky Town Car service from John Wayne, and it’s such a nice service. Friendly drivers who actually load/unload for you, and newer comfortable vehicles.

I think it’s about $150 round trip, but sooooo worth it for terminal to door service. They even wait with a sign with your name on it.

You do not have to mega plan for DLR like you do WDW. As you are a WDW pro, it can be a shock. But a very pleasant one...
... And prepare for crowds. Put on your happy face, relax, and go with the flow...
We tell everyone to do your research and ask all your questions here. Then make your best plan (doesn't have to be nearly as detailed as it would be for WDW), have a back up plan (always have a plan B!), then get ready to toss both to the winds if necessary and let the magic happen! One of the worst things you can do at DLR is try to micromanage the magic right out of your trip. The magic is all around you and will be every day -- bring your patience and a positive attitude, then get ready to have a wonderful time!

One of the worst things you can do at DLR is try to micromanage the magic right out of your trip.

This is so true! As an over planner this is something I have to be really cognizant of. It's easy to get wrapped up in planning the "perfect" trip. And really, there is no perfect. Expectations are everything.

I don't have much to add advice wise, everything said above is spot on. I guess I'd just add that if you feel like you're not in the bubble, or not feeling the magic (a comment I see sometimes from WD pros) take a walk down Main Street, look for the lamp in Walt's appt, then take a slow stroll down the street and just take in the little bits of extras, the names on the doors, the phones in Starbucks, the Painless Dentist on Center Street (off Main Street). Those touches and the thought that Walt was a part of so many plans makes me feel the magic. Then grab a dole whip and ride those rides with MP! :)

Thank you everyone so much for the amazing responses ! I'm new here, and you've all been a huge help!

Get up early & use that first golden low crowd hour, before it gets hit & busy. If you are staying in one of the hotels that give you early admission (Grand Californian, Disneyland Hotel, Paradise Pier) or a ticket purchased online, use it to your full advantage. If you travel with family discuss what your must-do-attractions are, do them early, and then just relax & take it easy. Download the app & look at wait times a couple of weeks before the trip on the weekdays you’ll be there, so you can plan to swim against the stream as far as crowds go. Have fun!

If you are park hopping, I'd hit Carland first, maybe get a FP for that then go to Disney and get in line for Pan's Flight? That is one of the few popular rides that don't have a FP for some reason.

We just went for the first time a few weeks ago! We loved it! It was so much less stressful and relaxed! We rented a car at the airport as we were headed to LA afterwards. We didn't use the car at all at Disney though. Our flight was delayed and we didn't get to the store to get water and stuff so we regretted that. We stood at the Disneyland Hotel to fully experience it and it was my daughter's 16th birthday! It was so fun being able to walk everywhere! You walk out the back door and you are pretty much in Downtown Disney! Downtown Disney is much smaller so a short walk through there and you are at the entrance of both parks. The hotel wasn't huge either so that was nice. Any of the buildings was a quick walk anywhere you wanted to go. The weather is so much more manageable even though people there thought it was hot (it was August) there was no humidity!! Humidity was 42% and they were like it's so humid! So if you have done Florida you will not even notice! It does get chilly at night. I wore a light sweatshirt each night. The mornings were cool as well. It doesn't get really warm until the afternoon and it's only maybe 4 hours of heat then it cools back down. Most of the ride ques, eating places are outside so keep that in mind. There also aren't many benches or as much shade, no fans or misting things. There is no Hall of Presidents or Carousel of Progress to cool down. So you have to watch which rides you save for afternoon if you don't want to wait in the sun. We ate lunch early like right at noon so that worked out well eating outside since it was still cool. IF it's not summer that might not even be an issue. We had dinner one night at Carnation Cafe outside at 5:20 and it was nice out already. I loved the old Fast Pass system, so much less stress. I didn't realize how much I missed it! We didn't get Max Pass as we aren't roller coaster thrill people. My husband went on a few rides and had no issues getting on them as a single rider or getting a fast pass. They have Fast passes for the shows Fantasmic, World of Color etc. They don't count towards your other ones. Dining was easy unless you want popular restaurants you can make them before time. One night I made a reservation for dinner the next night while sitting at dinner that night! Let me know if you have any specific questions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter